Wind Deflectors - Adhesive Issue
Fergy
Posted 2008-05-25 8:49 PM (#10872)
Subject: Wind Deflectors - Adhesive Issue

Cruiser

Frisco, TX

I removed my wind deflectors because as Craig said the adhesive is not suited for the heat here in Texas. I purchased 3M VHB (Very High Bond) double sided tape which is good from -28 to +200 degrees from Walmart. Look for 3M Heavy Duty Tape Strips and the strips should say VHB on them. I've used this stuff before and it holds extremely well. I have it on my Viper for my externally mounted radar detector / laser jammers and it's lasted 2 years now and I've exceeded speeds over 160 MPH at Texas Motor Speedway, 160 MPH for several hours through the desert of Arizona, numerous 130+ MPH track days, and it's still holding strong after almost 30K miles.

What I learned on the 3M website had to do with the types of mounting tape and the time for curing. Here's what I found: 1) The VHB tape cures in 72 hours at temps above 70 degrees. After only 20 minutes, its strength is 50%. Afte 60 minutes, its strength is 75%. After 24 hours, its strength is 90% and it gets to 100% strength after 3 days. It's possible that Craig got it up to 90 MPH without allowing enough cure time. 2) The type of mounting tape used is important. What we're doing is bonding to painted plastic and plastic hardware. So, first, I checked and noticed that the tape on our deflectors was not VHB. It was 3M but it was the soft grey foam which is not the VHB. VHB should have been used for this application.

Anyway, I removed the old tape from the mounts and the fairing, cleaned again with alcohol, and then applied the new tape. The new tape is significantly stronger feeling and doesn't allow flex like the other stuff. I will test this over the next few days and report back.

As far as the deflector not staying in position? Well, I'll let what I have cure for a few days and then test it and see what the fix is for that and let you know.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rock Star
Posted 2008-05-25 9:02 PM (#10873 - in reply to #10872)
Subject: RE: Wind Deflectors - Adhesive Issue

Cruiser

Park City, Utah
Thanks for the update and the good tip. I'm going to add the deflectors as soon as the snow stops falling here in Northern Utah. We need them up here to stay warm. thanks again. Ride on.

ps. I need a place to wring out my Z06. seems you have that figured out. bravo. Speed rules!!!
GAgirlTrixie
Posted 2008-05-25 9:50 PM (#10877 - in reply to #10872)

Tourer

Savannah, GA -Year round riding!! Yay!
Thanks for the heads up on the VHB, Kevin. I'll keep my eyes open when I'm Wally World next time for it, and keep the tips in mind when mounting. You're a gem!
Rock Star
Posted 2008-05-26 8:20 PM (#10898 - in reply to #10872)

Cruiser

Park City, Utah
ok, as i read through the other post and I don't have a set in front of me, I do have a question. Deflectors are mounted to the bike by a tape on a bracket that you recommen changing. Is the shield mounted to the bracket also with a tape that needs to be changed? thanks. If I had a set in front of me I'm sure it would all make sense. no... really.
TimS
Posted 2008-05-26 9:00 PM (#10900 - in reply to #10872)

Iron Butt

Fergy,

Thanks for the update.  Did you rough up the mounting surface on the deflector so the tape has a little more surface area to deal with?

P.S.  Does the Viper house a 6' 200lb person ?  I love that car but probably would not fit in it.

Tim 

Fergy
Posted 2008-05-26 9:17 PM (#10901 - in reply to #10898)

Cruiser

Frisco, TX

Rock Star - 2008-05-26 7:20 PM ok, as i read through the other post and I don't have a set in front of me, I do have a question. Deflectors are mounted to the bike by a tape on a bracket that you recommen changing. Is the shield mounted to the bracket also with a tape that needs to be changed? thanks. If I had a set in front of me I'm sure it would all make sense. no... really.

The tape is only on the brackets.

Fergy
Posted 2008-05-26 9:22 PM (#10902 - in reply to #10900)

Cruiser

Frisco, TX
TimS - 2008-05-26 8:00 PM

Fergy,

Thanks for the update.  Did you rough up the mounting surface on the deflector so the tape has a little more surface area to deal with?

P.S.  Does the Viper house a 6' 200lb person ?  I love that car but probably would not fit in it.

Tim 

I did not rough up the mounting surface. The tape I have should hold fine. I'm about to go out and test. It's been 24 hours since I installed them with the new tape. So far, they're rock solid as compared to the Victory supplied tape. There's no movement at all. I will test the speed to make sure the deflectors don't turn also and will report back.

Rock Star
Posted 2008-05-26 10:00 PM (#10903 - in reply to #10872)
Subject: Re: Wind Deflectors - Adhesive Issue

Cruiser

Park City, Utah
LOL. Thanks Fergy. Test at speed, huh? you just love speed. That's like me being sure the Grey Goose hasn't spoiled in the freezer. seriously, thanks for the tape tip. I'm headed to the dealer tomorrow to see if they have those deflectors in stock and to get a couple other goodies too.

Fergy
Posted 2008-05-26 10:01 PM (#10904 - in reply to #10872)

Cruiser

Frisco, TX
Ok. I let it cure for 24 hours before moving the bike. I just got back from my test. First, the deflectors with the new tape are rock solid. I mean, rock solid. I think to pull them off would rip off the fairing. I also tightened the set screws for the deflectors which controls how much force is needed to turn them. I took the bike out and got the bike over 100 MPH and the deflectors didn't budge a millimeter. Tomorrow, i'm going to leave the bike out in the hot sun for a while (black bike = hot) and then see how firm a hold the new tape has on the fairing. If it's still strong, then i'm going to say the new tape works and the deflectors stay fixed in position at high speeds.
Spock
Posted 2008-05-31 8:08 PM (#11187 - in reply to #10904)

Tourer

Carrollton, TX

Well Fergy nailed the problem with the adhesive on the wind deflectors. I talked to Strokers who is our dealer and they talked to Victory on my deflector that came off while riding and as soon as the Strokers guy told Victory they had a returned deflector kit the Victory person said it came of the bike at the point where the adhesive tape mounts to the deflector mount right? They said they know about the problem and have sent out a notice to all the dealers that got them and have put a hold on shipping them till they are all fixed.  The fix is to replace the adhesive 3M tape with the VHB 3M tape like Fergy did with his. It appears their supplier used the wrong tape on the first production run. Victory will also be sending new adhesive tape kits to anyone that has bought the deflector kit. I put another set on order.

TimS
Posted 2008-06-04 8:08 PM (#11391 - in reply to #10872)

Iron Butt

Fergy,

I just got my wind deflectors yesterday.  My dealer has closed his show =(.  How do I tell if I have the good or bad 3M tape on them.  They have red plastic over a light gray paste.  I have check OSH and Walmart, neither have the 3M VHB double sided tape.

Thanks,

Tim 

Fergy
Posted 2008-06-04 11:46 PM (#11397 - in reply to #11391)

Cruiser

Frisco, TX
TimS - 2008-06-04 7:08 PM

Fergy,

I just got my wind deflectors yesterday.  My dealer has closed his show =(.  How do I tell if I have the good or bad 3M tape on them.  They have red plastic over a light gray paste.  I have check OSH and Walmart, neither have the 3M VHB double sided tape.

Thanks,

Tim 

You don't have the correct tape. I've attached a picture. The package says "Heavy Duty Attachment Adhesive" and is in a red package. When a strip is removed, the backside shows "3M VHB" as shown in the picture. Walmart should have it but it doesn't say VHB on the package.

TimS
Posted 2008-06-05 12:45 AM (#11400 - in reply to #11397)
Subject: 3M model/part # ?

Iron Butt

Fergy,

Thanks much. Is there a 3M model/part # (e.g. Model #6010) so I can search the web?

My Walmart only carried SCOTCH and another non-3M brand of double sided adhesive. Neither was rated to 200 degrees.

Sincerely,

Tim

Some Search Results:

http://www.boatownerswarehouse.com/browse.cfm/4,5140.html

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Heavy-Duty-Attachment-Adhesive/dp/B000DZBHHM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1212641407&sr=8-1

http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarestore.com/50-279-foam-tape/heavy-duty-attachment-adhesive-635521.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=635521&utm_campaign=googlebase

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/6164628?ref=gbase

Edited by TimS 2008-06-05 12:58 AM
Fergy
Posted 2008-06-05 7:53 AM (#11420 - in reply to #11400)
Subject: RE: 3M model/part # ?

Cruiser

Frisco, TX
TimS - 2008-06-04 11:45 PM

Fergy,

Thanks much. Is there a 3M model/part # (e.g. Model #6010) so I can search the web?

My Walmart only carried SCOTCH and another non-3M brand of double sided adhesive. Neither was rated to 200 degrees.

Sincerely,

Tim

Some Search Results:

http://www.boatownerswarehouse.com/browse.cfm/4,5140.html

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Heavy-Duty-Attachment-Adhesive/dp/B000DZBHHM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1212641407&sr=8-1

http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarestore.com/50-279-foam-tape/heavy-duty-attachment-adhesive-635521.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=635521&utm_campaign=googlebase

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/6164628?ref=gbase

6010-RV is on the back. I'm off to race this weekend but if you still haven't found any, let me know and I can pick some up at my local Walmart and send it to you next week.

TimS
Posted 2008-06-05 10:54 AM (#11432 - in reply to #11420)
Subject: RE: 3M model/part # ?

Iron Butt

Fergy,

Thanks for the part number. 6010 seems to be the ticket and it is available on the web.

Have a great time at the races.

Tim

Rock Star
Posted 2008-06-06 8:48 AM (#11490 - in reply to #10872)
Subject: Re: Wind Deflectors - Adhesive Issue

Cruiser

Park City, Utah
talked to my dealer yesterday. They got a memo from Polaris that said they will be getting a different adhesive tape to use. ) seems to ME that this format is being read and that it matters. i got the 3M adhesive and bought a few packages for my dealer too.