ZUMO 550 Mount on centre console using a Ram Mount
Newfie
Posted 2012-06-10 12:42 PM (#116222)
Subject: ZUMO 550 Mount on centre console using a Ram Mount

Cruiser

Edmonton, AB
Several members had contacted me about my previous post being corrupted so I am re-posting the pictures from my Zumo 550 Install. I did this install in 2008 soon after gettin my Vision and it has been excellent. After 4 years using this set-up if I were to buy another Vision tomorrow I would do it all the same again.

Pic #01 -- Radio uint on bench, top up, showing the three original holes installed by the manufacturer.

Pic #02 -- Radio unit on bench, bottom up, showing the three original holes installed by the manufacturer, including the two for the Victory GPS mount

Pic #03 -- Showing the RAM mount loose fit in place after new holes were drilled. I used the RAM base as the template for drilling. Simply lined it up where it had to go and drilled the holes from the top side.

Pic #04 -- View from the top, showing the three holes that I drilled. Note...I did not use the original holes as doing so would have placed the round base on the RAM base too close to the balck trim ring around the key. See Pic #07 for clarity.

Pic #05 -- Show the three holes I drilled from the back side. I installed the silver "console cover" at this point and drilled out through from this side for the holes in the "console cover".

Pic #06 -- Shows the holes in the console cover after being drilled in step Pic #05

Pic #07 -- Show the Ram base loose fit with the trim around ring aroung the key ring installed. Note the minimal space between the RAM base and the black trim ring. If I had used the original holes the RAM base would have been touching or overlapping the black trim ring.

Pic #08 -- I used flat washer and self locking nuts to secure the base to the console.

Pic #09 -- Shows the next part re-installed.

Pic #10 -- Shows the power plug for the powerlet outlet in the I-Pod compartment. I unpluged this and this is where I cut the wires and spliced in for power to the GPS.

Pic #11 -- I used marine grade, heat shrink butt connectors to attach the GPS power cable.

Pic #12 -- Power connection compoeted, Just need to clean it up with some zip ties.

Pic #13 -- Ready to plug the grey plug back into the powerlet outlet in the I-Pod compartment.

Pic #14 -- Centre console re-installed showing the RAM base ready for the mount to be installed. Note: The black wire is the power wire for the GPS waiting to be connected to the Garmin Mount.

Pic #15 -- Mount installed with power wire connected. This now stay on the bike at all times, even when the GPS is not in use.

Pic #16 -- Since the power source is on/off when the bike is on/off...When you turn on the bike the GPS automatically come on....Ditto when you trun off the bike.

Pic #18 -- Show the RAM Base, RAM mount, and Garmin Mount from the right side.

Pic #19 -- View from the left side.

PIc #20 -- Vision Riders Splash screen....added as a compliment to those who designed and maintain this web-site.

Hope this helps...

Edited by Newfie 2012-06-10 1:35 PM

(PIC #01.JPG)

(PIC #02.JPG)

(PIC #03.JPG)

(PIC #04.JPG)

(PIC #05.JPG)

(PIC #06.JPG)

(PIC #07.JPG)

(PIC #08.JPG)

(PIC #09.JPG)

(PIC #10.JPG)

(PIC #11.JPG)

(PIC #12.JPG)

(PIC #13.JPG)

(PIC #14.JPG)

(PIC #15.JPG)

(PIC #16.JPG)

(PIC #18.JPG)

(PIC #19.JPG)

(PIC #20.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments PIC #01.JPG (67KB - 6 downloads)
Attachments PIC #02.JPG (48KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments PIC #03.JPG (66KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments PIC #04.JPG (56KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments PIC #05.JPG (63KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments PIC #06.JPG (49KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments PIC #07.JPG (52KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments PIC #08.JPG (57KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments PIC #09.JPG (75KB - 3 downloads)
Attachments PIC #10.JPG (56KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments PIC #11.JPG (61KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments PIC #12.JPG (59KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments PIC #13.JPG (63KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments PIC #14.JPG (57KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments PIC #15.JPG (56KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments PIC #16.JPG (43KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments PIC #18.JPG (58KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments PIC #19.JPG (53KB - 5 downloads)
Attachments PIC #20.JPG (33KB - 5 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page