Witchdoctor.com Listens to YOU! Vision Replacement Fender Coming Soon!
witchdoctor
Posted 2013-08-30 4:54 PM (#143838)
Subject: Witchdoctor.com Listens to YOU! Vision Replacement Fender Coming Soon!

Cruiser

I have been following along about the Vision front fender problem started by Spiderman. Over the past few weeks I have received quite a few emails and phone calls about coming up with something. Customers have told me what they want and we are listening. Last night Spiderman contacted us and said he will be bringing his bike in to figure something out. Development of a new fender is now paramount on our list of new products. Spidermans dedication to solving this safety issue so no one gets hurt is second to none.

We will do our best to have something ready to go late Sept.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
opas ride
Posted 2013-08-30 5:50 PM (#143840 - in reply to #143838)
Subject: Re: Witchdoctor.com Listens to YOU! Vision Replacement Fender Coming Soon!

Tourer

Jon, Thanks so much for at least listening to us Vision riders and caring about our safety..I know from past experiences with you, on other parts, that you are very concerned about customer satisfaction, apparently something Victory Mgmt. is not, and am confident a solution will be found...I commend Spiderman for his diligence and efforts to resolve this issue...As I said on my prior post, the fender on my 2011 seems okay for now, but I am not willing to run-the-risk of an accident or such just because those at Victory seem to feel this is only cosmetic "wear and tear".Too many reports on the various web-sites for me to buy Victory's cop-out on this issue....Thanks again
Oldman47
Posted 2013-08-30 5:55 PM (#143842 - in reply to #143838)
Subject: Re: Witchdoctor.com Listens to YOU! Vision Replacement Fender Coming Soon!

Tourer

Central Illinois
It is great to hear that you are working on something. An item to be aware of is the impact of corrosion on a front fender. I suspect that is why the back half of the Vision fender is plastic. The HD I traded for my Vision had a bad corrosion problem right at the back edge of its stock steel fender. I used an HD accessory part to cover up the damage for esthetics but it would be nice not to need to face that issue again too.
XRsteve
Posted 2013-08-30 6:14 PM (#143843 - in reply to #143842)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
Oldman47 - 2013-08-30 5:55 PM

It is great to hear that you are working on something. An item to be aware of is the impact of corrosion on a front fender. I suspect that is why the back half of the Vision fender is plastic. The HD I traded for my Vision had a bad corrosion problem right at the back edge of its stock steel fender. I used an HD accessory part to cover up the damage for esthetics but it would be nice not to need to face that issue again too.

Never heard that before. My last bike before The Visions was a 2003 RoadGlide, had 67,000 miles on it when I sold it. Been through a hundred rain storms and never had any problems with the steel fender. However if Witchdoctor wants to do something really trick, make a one piece steel fender AND offer one in aluminum for $80.00 more than the steel version. I'll buy one.............just brace it around the mounting holes please.......

And Yes, Thank You for listening.........
Spiderman
Posted 2013-08-30 9:12 PM (#143855 - in reply to #143838)
Subject: RE: Witchdoctor.com Listens to YOU! Vision Replacement Fender Coming Soon!

Cruiser

Hudson, Ohio
WitchDoctor is the man! I am very fortunate to live close by Jon and he agrees this is a serious issue and wants to develop an affordable and safe fender for the Visions. If only Victory had the same attitude!

Thanks Jon! I may actually keep the Vision afterall.....
XRsteve
Posted 2013-08-30 9:17 PM (#143856 - in reply to #143855)
Subject: RE: Witchdoctor.com Listens to YOU! Vision Replacement Fender Coming Soon!

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
Spiderman - 2013-08-30 9:12 PM

WitchDoctor is the man! I am very fortunate to live close by Jon and he agrees this is a serious issue and wants to develop an affordable and safe fender for the Visions. If only Victory had the same attitude!

Ain't that the damn truth !!!!!!!!!!

Edited by XRsteve 2013-08-30 9:18 PM
XRsteve
Posted 2013-08-30 9:30 PM (#143858 - in reply to #143838)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
witchdoctor - 2013-08-30 4:54 PM

I have been following along about the Vision front fender problem started by Spiderman. Over the past few weeks I have received quite a few emails and phone calls about coming up with something. Customers have told me what they want and we are listening. Last night Spiderman contacted us and said he will be bringing his bike in to figure something out. Development of a new fender is now paramount on our list of new products. Spidermans dedication to solving this safety issue so no one gets hurt is second to none.

We will do our best to have something ready to go late Sept.

Excellent: Thank you............
kevinx
Posted 2013-08-30 9:38 PM (#143860 - in reply to #143838)

Visionary

Gainesville Fl Home of the Gators
Could always buy the one Kewlmetal already makes, and has made for a couple of years.....just saying
Street Eagle
Posted 2013-08-30 9:53 PM (#143861 - in reply to #143838)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
checke dout Kewlmetal. I'm hoping Witchdoctor can come in under their $400 price point. Another alternative is using a cross country fender. One of the holes' spacing is very slightly different which is easy to make work from what I understand.
XRsteve
Posted 2013-08-30 10:34 PM (#143863 - in reply to #143860)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
kevinx - 2013-08-30 9:38 PM

Could always buy the one Kewlmetal already makes, and has made for a couple of years.....just saying

I'm already looking at that one. In fact I have a post showing the product, but nothing wrong with competition for our dollars as long as quality is equal.......
Spiderman
Posted 2013-09-01 2:18 PM (#143952 - in reply to #143838)

Cruiser

Hudson, Ohio
Dropped the Spidey Vision off at WitchDoctors this afternoon...Jon is wasting no time.

(Image.jpg)

(Image 2.jpg)

(Image 1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Image.jpg (105KB - 7 downloads)
Attachments Image 2.jpg (110KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Image 1.jpg (97KB - 0 downloads)
Chef John
Posted 2013-09-01 4:05 PM (#143958 - in reply to #143838)

Cruiser

Delray Beach, FL United States
I'm glad Jon is making an effort to make the bike safer and at the same time putting a financial hurting in Victory, maybe they will learn this way to stand behind their product better
XRsteve
Posted 2013-09-01 6:40 PM (#143963 - in reply to #143838)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
Spiderman : Damn that's fast, Many thanks to you and John. You for your taking action on this problem and John for stepping up so fast........

Nice wheels by the way.........

Edited by XRsteve 2013-09-01 6:41 PM
witchdoctor
Posted 2013-09-02 8:17 AM (#143989 - in reply to #143838)

Cruiser

My original thought on how to do it isn't going to work exactly as I planned. I now need to change it up just a wee bit but these new ideas will make the fender better than what I was originally thinking. I have started on getting things together as well as contacted another forum member to help me make a few pieces that I'm going to need. I'm still on schedule to have a proto type ready in the next few days.

Just a few things about building a new part from scratch. It has to be:
1-Affordable to the end user
2-Safe
3-Easy to install
4-High quality in both fit and finish
5-Appealing in looks
6-Add additional benefits over the original piece
7-Easy to manufacture- keeps manufacturing cost down- save the customer money
8-Easy to ship- keeps shipping cost down for the customer
9-Create a "How to" video so customers can see how to install- Again saves you money over paying a dealer
10-Available- Parts are no good if you can't get them.

So see, creating a new part from scratch in just a few days is EASY! lol
Oldman47
Posted 2013-09-02 9:02 AM (#143992 - in reply to #143838)

Tourer

Central Illinois
I recognize that there is nothing easy about any new design. I think we all appreciate your effort on this particular product design.
Street Eagle
Posted 2013-09-02 9:53 AM (#143995 - in reply to #143838)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
Jon,

I am confident that the your solution will meet exceed the criteria you listed. I have been more than pleased with the cam and derby covers, Voodoo exhaust and the fluted black exhaust tips!

The fender purchase will be a no brainer
XRsteve
Posted 2013-09-02 11:05 AM (#144002 - in reply to #143838)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
Jon, one thought : Not trying to add to your work load, but if you make one fender to replace and be better than the stocker would it be too much to produce a second style. I always thought a one piece fender that has the front section ahead of the front forks extended downward maybe 2 to 3" like a land speed aero fender, I mean it would go with the rest of our Visions streamlining. Like I said just a thought. An Aero Vision front fender option.

Edited by XRsteve 2013-09-02 11:05 AM
nailer
Posted 2013-09-02 1:30 PM (#144013 - in reply to #144002)

Tourer

Albuquerque, NM
Jon,
I would like some clarification on this fender project. Are you designing a new one piece front metal fender or a new reinforced plastic or fiberglass version of the defective rear section for the front fender? Some of us are looking for an inexpensive/safe front fender that we all thought we had purchased. A new metal fender plus paint would be 3x the amount of a sturdier plastic or fiberglass replacement.
Oldman47
Posted 2013-09-02 9:46 PM (#144042 - in reply to #143843)

Tourer

Central Illinois

XRsteve - 2013-08-30 6:14 PM Oldman47 - 2013-08-30 5:55 PM It is great to hear that you are working on something. An item to be aware of is the impact of corrosion on a front fender. I suspect that is why the back half of the Vision fender is plastic. The HD I traded for my Vision had a bad corrosion problem right at the back edge of its stock steel fender. I used an HD accessory part to cover up the damage for esthetics but it would be nice not to need to face that issue again too. Never heard that before. My last bike before The Visions was a 2003 RoadGlide, had 67,000 miles on it when I sold it. Been through a hundred rain storms and never had any problems with the steel fender. However if Witchdoctor wants to do something really trick, make a one piece steel fender AND offer one in aluminum for $80.00 more than the steel version. I'll buy one.............just brace it around the mounting holes please....... And Yes, Thank You for listening.........

I am sorry to have to break it to you XRSteve but my 2011 FLTRU had obvious damage at the trailing end of the front fender. I ended up using a Wiily G cover to hide the damage when I traded it for my Vision. I told the Vic dealer about it and gave him the cover parts to use. A bike that is 10 years old may not have the problem but one only 2 years old with a warranty about to expire did have that problem.

Edited by Oldman47 2013-09-02 9:48 PM
witchdoctor
Posted 2013-09-03 7:29 AM (#144053 - in reply to #144002)

Cruiser

XRsteve - 2013-09-02 12:05 PM

Jon, one thought : Not trying to add to your work load, but if you make one fender to replace and be better than the stocker would it be too much to produce a second style. I always thought a one piece fender that has the front section ahead of the front forks extended downward maybe 2 to 3" like a land speed aero fender, I mean it would go with the rest of our Visions streamlining. Like I said just a thought. An Aero Vision front fender option.

I will look at doing a second and maybe a third design but right now all efforts are on making the first one. Once that's done I will get some opinions on what you guys want different.
Street Eagle
Posted 2013-09-03 9:37 AM (#144055 - in reply to #143838)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
Thanks Jon

Will the first fender be a single piece which forms the fender vs 2 sections?
Eric_MA
Posted 2013-09-03 1:35 PM (#144060 - in reply to #143838)

Cruiser

Sturbridge, Ma
Hi Jon, And thanks for looking into it? I myself would be happy with a two piece! In other words if you can make soimething to replace the original back piece in the same style but in metal and Black thats good for me! I don't care for a whole new single piece! As far as I care I really can't see it anyway and all I would like to see is something to replace the stock that won't break>>>Just my two cents!
kjb
Posted 2013-09-03 2:17 PM (#144063 - in reply to #143838)

Puddle Jumper

Got conquest customs to make me a one piece alum wrap around fender when I added a 21 inch wheel . No offense to Witchdoctor but there are fender options out there already, hmd , conquest and kewl metal , they ain't cheap but crashing one with that plastic junk is going cost a lot more.
kjb
Posted 2013-09-03 2:17 PM (#144064 - in reply to #143838)

Puddle Jumper

Got conquest customs to make me a one piece alum wrap around fender when I added a 21 inch wheel . No offense to Witchdoctor but there are fender options out there already, hmd , conquest and kewl metal , they ain't cheap but crashing one with that plastic junk is going cost a lot more.
XRsteve
Posted 2013-09-03 2:20 PM (#144065 - in reply to #143838)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
I agree there are a few options now, but if Witchdoctors wants to join in I say excellent, the more choices we have the better..............
okie vision
Posted 2013-09-03 4:40 PM (#144066 - in reply to #144060)

Iron Butt

Broken Arrow, OK
Eric_MA - 2013-09-03 1:35 PM

Hi Jon, And thanks for looking into it? I myself would be happy with a two piece! In other words if you can make soimething to replace the original back piece in the same style but in metal and Black thats good for me! I don't care for a whole new single piece! As far as I care I really can't see it anyway and all I would like to see is something to replace the stock that won't break>>>Just my two cents!

+1
I have some custom paint work on the front upper + the chrome piece from Vic. Just a metal black rear would be the ticket
witchdoctor
Posted 2013-09-07 4:41 PM (#144178 - in reply to #143838)

Cruiser

Just wanted to give you an update and that things are moving along. I'm a little behind but should move faster next week. I have one step done already.
XRsteve
Posted 2013-09-07 7:04 PM (#144184 - in reply to #144178)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
witchdoctor - 2013-09-07 4:41 PM

Just wanted to give you an update and that things are moving along. I'm a little behind but should move faster next week. I have one step done already.

Thanks for the quick work.........
Street Eagle
Posted 2013-09-07 9:47 PM (#144185 - in reply to #143838)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
Can you give us an idea what the first fender will look like..e.g 2 piece, 1 etc
witchdoctor
Posted 2013-09-08 8:53 AM (#144202 - in reply to #143838)

Cruiser

No sorry not yet. On a few of the other forums some are making some condescending remarks so at this point I'm keeping it to myself. Its a shame that when you try to help and offer another solution we have to take crap for it. Childish really.. Even Spiderman does not know. lol I should have the next step done over the next few days and will update you again. I just really wanted to let everyone now its moving along.
opas ride
Posted 2013-09-08 11:30 AM (#144205 - in reply to #143838)

Tourer

Jon, Exactly why I am not getting involved in these discussions anymore...Too many negative opinions from those that think they know it all and assume that most of us are just plain stupid!! We should be working together as Victory riders to help solve issues not constant "in-fighting".....
willtill
Posted 2013-09-08 4:20 PM (#144209 - in reply to #144205)

Visionary

Central Maryland
opas ride - 2013-09-08 12:30 PM

Jon, Exactly why I am not getting involved in these discussions anymore...Too many negative opinions from those that think they know it all and assume that most of us are just plain stupid!! We should be working together as Victory riders to help solve issues not constant "in-fighting".....

Ummm.. you just involved yourself again; by replying to this thread. Shake off the hurt puppy feelings Opas and address the issue yourself.

Good gawd.
opas ride
Posted 2013-09-08 6:25 PM (#144214 - in reply to #143838)

Tourer

Thanks for the nice response....

Edited by opas ride 2013-09-08 6:29 PM
Spiderman
Posted 2013-09-09 8:54 PM (#144280 - in reply to #144202)

Cruiser

Hudson, Ohio
witchdoctor - 2013-09-08 9:53 AM

Even Spiderman does not know. lol

That's what you think...I rigged Spidey Vision with a Spidey Cam...I have been spying on you all week. Don't forget who you are dealing with LOL. Oh yeah, I have some really good blackmail material on you now too!!!

witchdoctor
Posted 2013-09-10 4:17 PM (#144329 - in reply to #143838)

Cruiser

Damn, So you did see Lisa and I on the seat?
Street Eagle
Posted 2013-09-10 4:52 PM (#144330 - in reply to #143838)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
Witchdoctor...what are you doing on the forum??? You should be heads down saving lives by working on your new fender Im sure it will be well worth the wait!
witchdoctor
Posted 2013-09-10 9:57 PM (#144354 - in reply to #143838)

Cruiser

Actually I am working on it. Hope to have the next step done tomorrow.lol
Monkeyman
Posted 2013-09-11 4:37 AM (#144356 - in reply to #144209)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
willtill - 2013-09-08 5:20 PM opas ride - 2013-09-08 12:30 PM Jon, Exactly why I am not getting involved in these discussions anymore...Too many negative opinions from those that think they know it all and assume that most of us are just plain stupid!! We should be working together as Victory riders to help solve issues not constant "in-fighting"..... Ummm.. you just involved yourself again; by replying to this thread. Shake off the hurt puppy feelings Opas and address the issue yourself. Good gawd.

If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything.  Feel free to leave your "not so nice" comments out of these threads, Will.  You're not impressing anyone.

Edited by Monkeyman 2013-09-11 4:40 AM
Street Eagle
Posted 2013-09-11 11:16 AM (#144366 - in reply to #143838)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
+1...since joining this forum back in February, it has become an invaluable source for getting answers and advice. The knowledge base that exists on this forum is 2nd to none.

I want to thank everyone for their willingness to share their experience and knowledge. It would be great if the forum can maintain a positive direction and attitude.
CoolHandLuke
Posted 2013-09-11 6:02 PM (#144377 - in reply to #144354)

Iron Butt

, FL United States
witchdoctor - 2013-09-10 10:57 PM

Actually I am working on it. Hope to have the next step done tomorrow.lol

Jon, thank you for persevering though all the negative comments. We who know you know that when you take on a project it gets done with excellent results.
Street Eagle
Posted 2013-09-11 8:39 PM (#144385 - in reply to #143838)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
Today while detailing my bike (2013 Vision with 8600 miles) I decided to check my front fender. Much to my dismay, I found a severe crack over and below the left side mount point. As you will see in the pictures, there is NO SIGN OF WEAR AND TEAR If the issue was due to wear and tear there would be stress marks and stress fractures. My fender was catastrophic due to faulty engineering design and materials. I will post this to Victory's facebook page. Please advise on who else I should make aware of the issue in addition to my dealership.

http://shutterpro.smugmug.com/Other/2013-Victory-Vision-Cracked/318...
willtill
Posted 2013-09-11 9:07 PM (#144388 - in reply to #144385)

Visionary

Central Maryland
Street Eagle - 2013-09-11 9:39 PM

Today while detailing my bike (2013 Vision with 8600 miles) I decided to check my front fender. Much to my dismay, I found a severe crack over and below the left side mount point. As you will see in the pictures, there is NO SIGN OF WEAR AND TEAR If the issue was due to wear and tear there would be stress marks and stress fractures. My fender was catastrophic due to faulty engineering design and materials. I will post this to Victory's facebook page. Please advise on who else I should make aware of the issue in addition to my dealership.

http://shutterpro.smugmug.com/Other/2013-Victory-Vision-Cracked/318...

That is amazing. Such a new bike. I haven't developed this on my 2011 yet. I wonder if some of the cause of the crack(s) is due to the improperly tightened mounting bolt(s)?

1. Street Eagle; time to whip out some alcohol for cleaning the inside of that rear fender; some JB-Weld and some thin steel stock to backplate that area.

2. Or just go buy a new fender.

Option 1 above is cheaper and more readily available. If you are so inclined to take care of it yourself. Victory won't.

Gotta do what you gotta do....

Edited by willtill 2013-09-11 9:07 PM
Street Eagle
Posted 2013-09-11 9:14 PM (#144389 - in reply to #143838)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
Thanks Willtil...yeah you can imagine my surprise to find this with only 8600 on the speedo.
Riverdawg
Posted 2013-09-12 1:17 PM (#144419 - in reply to #143838)

Cruiser

Camas Washington
At a friends last night who has a 2011 Vision trike, out of the blue she says her front back fender cracked. Asked her if she has been reading the form lately and said no. She called the dealer and they are going to charge her to replace it. Told her to tell them hell no they pay for it. Its seems as the more Visions age this problem is cropping up more and more.
witchdoctor
Posted 2013-09-14 3:32 PM (#144486 - in reply to #143838)

Cruiser

Any interest in making the rear of the fender longer? Like make it come down further towards the ground?
Rammurry
Posted 2013-09-14 3:56 PM (#144487 - in reply to #143838)

Cruiser

Jon
+1 on making the fender longer.
I am thinking 2-3" would give more protection to the battery area. It would also look better in MHO.
Thanks for your efforts.
Is there a date yet on when we will be able to place orders?
This is kinda life waiting for Christmas so I can buy my own gift!
willtill
Posted 2013-09-14 4:14 PM (#144488 - in reply to #144366)

Visionary

Central Maryland
Monkeyman - 2013-09-11 5:37 AM

willtill - 2013-09-08 5:20 PM opas ride - 2013-09-08 12:30 PM Jon, Exactly why I am not getting involved in these discussions anymore...Too many negative opinions from those that think they know it all and assume that most of us are just plain stupid!! We should be working together as Victory riders to help solve issues not constant "in-fighting"..... Ummm.. you just involved yourself again; by replying to this thread. Shake off the hurt puppy feelings Opas and address the issue yourself. Good gawd.

If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything. Feel free to leave your "not so nice" comments out of these threads, Will. You're not impressing anyone.

I'm not trying to impress anyone Monkeyman. Where the hell did you get that idea?

Edited by willtill 2013-09-14 4:15 PM
witchdoctor
Posted 2013-09-14 5:04 PM (#144491 - in reply to #144487)

Cruiser

Rammurry - 2013-09-14 4:56 PM

Jon
I am thinking 2-3" would give more protection to the battery area. It would also look better in MHO.
Thanks for your efforts.

I keep changing my mind on how I want to do this. lol Each time I think I'm almost done I look at it and say "If i did this is would make it better" and then I go back to the drawing board. I have some more material coming on Monday so I hope to have the new idea figured out by hopefully Tuesday. I have trial fit the new fender on the bike and just making some tweaks- BUT when you tweak 1 thing it screws up 2 more! lol

Making the fender longer in the back shouldn't be a problem- but then again it might be back to the drawing board.

I'm not going to take any pre orders just yet. I want to get it done so everyone can see what they are buying plus I wont have a final cost until I have it all figured out. Once I get a prototype done I can then take pre orders and start making them.
Street Eagle
Posted 2013-09-14 5:09 PM (#144492 - in reply to #143838)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
Extended fender...absolutely
Monkeyman
Posted 2013-09-14 6:00 PM (#144494 - in reply to #143838)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
How about a hint, Jon? What material are you using? Fiberglass, plastic, aluminum, steel? C'mon. This is killing us.
Rammurry
Posted 2013-09-14 7:46 PM (#144498 - in reply to #144491)

Cruiser

witchdoctor - 2013-09-14 5:04 PM

Rammurry - 2013-09-14 4:56 PM

Jon
Thanks for your efforts.

I keep changing my mind on how I want to do this. lol Each time I think I'm almost done I look at it and say "If i did this is would make it better" and then I go back to the drawing board. I have some more material coming on Monday so I hope to have the new idea figured out by hopefully Tuesday. I have trial fit the new fender on the bike and just making some tweaks- BUT when you tweak 1 thing it screws up 2 more! lol

Making the fender longer in the back shouldn't be a problem- but then again it might be back to the drawing board.

I'm not going to take any pre orders just yet. I want to get it done so everyone can see what they are buying plus I wont have a final cost until I have it all figured out. Once I get a prototype done I can then take pre orders and start making them.

Jon
We know your dedication to your work and the quality you will bring to the table.
Take your time to satisfy your self and your customers will be happy.
My fender has not yet failed, however I still am concerned about the safety of the co-pilot and myself.
I promise to my clean my room and not tease the other kids (HD riders) hoping Santa will arrive soon (lol).

Thanks again
Rick
Chef John
Posted 2013-09-14 10:56 PM (#144501 - in reply to #143838)

Cruiser

Delray Beach, FL United States
I personally would like an extended rear front fender to protect the battery & oil cooler. And I think it is great that you see the importance in fixing this matter. You guys rock!
Arkainzeye
Posted 2013-09-15 7:18 AM (#144502 - in reply to #144501)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Chef John - 2013-09-14 10:56 PM

I personally would like an extended rear front fender to protect the battery & oil cooler. And I think it is great that you see the importance in fixing this matter. You guys rock!

there are people on here with OVER 100,000 miles.. so protecting the battery and oil cooler is not needed.
CoolHandLuke
Posted 2013-09-15 10:20 AM (#144509 - in reply to #143838)

Iron Butt

, FL United States
Making the rear section longer/lower would NOT be good,IMHO. I know that the first one broke due to tall 'speed bumps' (more like mountains) that are installed in the RV park where I live.
BrandonM7
Posted 2013-09-15 10:57 PM (#144524 - in reply to #144509)

Cruiser

LaGrange, GA
CoolHandLuke - 2013-09-15 11:20 AM

Making the rear section longer/lower would NOT be good,IMHO. I know that the first one broke due to tall 'speed bumps' (more like mountains) that are installed in the RV park where I live.

I agree with you -- I don't want longer. I work at a college and park wherever I can. Sometimes that means going up or down a curb. I have enough clearance now to do that, but not much room to spare. I'd hate to spend $$$ on a nice metal fender and then crunch it dropping off of a sidewalk.
XRsteve
Posted 2013-09-16 11:32 AM (#144545 - in reply to #144524)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
BrandonM7 - 2013-09-15 10:57 PM

CoolHandLuke - 2013-09-15 11:20 AM

I agree with you -- I don't want longer. I work at a college and park wherever I can. Sometimes that means going up or down a curb. I have enough clearance now to do that, but not much room to spare. I'd hate to spend $$$ on a nice metal fender and then crunch it dropping off of a sidewalk.

That is another thing to think about..........
Street Eagle
Posted 2013-09-17 7:56 AM (#144589 - in reply to #143838)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
Hey Jon

Will today bring the highly anticipated update and possibly a look at Witchdotor's new fender? 😃
witchdoctor
Posted 2013-09-17 7:13 PM (#144614 - in reply to #143838)

Cruiser

Just giving an update! I have more done on it and getting very close to having a prototype done. I mounted it up today and so far so good. I had asked around a bit to see if longer- extended- in the rear was feasible. Some said yes and some said no. A good point that was brought up was speed bumps. I looked into it and have decided to keep it the stock length in the back. It already is lower or just about even with the front cowling and I DO think it would hit speed bumps if it were any lower. As I was looking at this I got to wondering if any ones that have cracked could have hit a speed bump? Just a thought..

Keep in mind this is a fender for the normal rider. Once this is done I will / can make one that is custom all the way around which could mean lower in the rear for those of you that want that.

No pictures until its done. Its not as fancy as you think! lol
Rammurry
Posted 2013-09-17 7:17 PM (#144616 - in reply to #143838)

Cruiser

Jon

Thanks for the update, sounds like you are making good progress.

Rick
Arkainzeye
Posted 2013-09-17 9:21 PM (#144621 - in reply to #143838)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Would these fenders be painted? Or is it up to the customer to find someone to paint it?
witchdoctor
Posted 2013-09-18 5:33 AM (#144636 - in reply to #143838)

Cruiser

I'm not sure yet. Details on that soon.
okie vision
Posted 2013-09-18 7:59 AM (#144639 - in reply to #144614)

Iron Butt

Broken Arrow, OK
witchdoctor - 2013-09-17 7:13 PM
As I was looking at this I got to wondering if any ones that have cracked could have hit a speed bump? Just a thought..

Not trying to stir a pot but I agree. These cracked fenders did not happen just riding. There's been some type of blunt trauma to the piece over time. I'm sure it's an afterthought when it happens but something other than just age and rolling down the road causes it. Speed bump, coming off a curb, etc. I'm sure this is why Victory doesn't do something to change it. Can't prove it of course as well as those w/ issues can't disprove it.

Soooo Jon, are you ready for your metal fender to receive complaints that somehow it magically ends up creased, bent, crinkled in the rear over time? LOL
Monkeyman
Posted 2013-09-18 8:08 AM (#144640 - in reply to #143838)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
It DOESN'T happen because of bumps. That's easy to tell. Just look at the bottom of the fender. Mine didn't have any marks on the bottom, meaning it didn't come in contact with anything and it still cracked. Before Victory replaces any of these, they require pics. If they saw evidence that it had hit something, they wouldn't authorize a replacement as that would then be up to your insurance company. I'm not saying that there isn't one or 2 out there that haven't come in contact with a speed bump, but that's NOT the cause of the mass failure. Sorry, okie, but these DID happen with "just age and rolling down the road". If you go over a speed bump high enough to hit the OEM fender, you'll do some damage to other body parts.
Street Eagle
Posted 2013-09-18 8:15 AM (#144641 - in reply to #143838)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
Hey Jon

Maybe you could offer powder coating as an option.
Street Eagle
Posted 2013-09-18 8:15 AM (#144642 - in reply to #143838)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
Hey Jon

Maybe you could offer powder coating as an option.
Barry
Posted 2013-09-18 9:01 AM (#144644 - in reply to #143838)

Puddle Jumper

Denton Texas
I would think that if it is long enough to drag on a speed bumb, that is also a design problem.
Monkeyman
Posted 2013-09-18 9:31 AM (#144646 - in reply to #143838)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
Go out and look at a Vision some time. If you hit a speed bump with the fender, you'll absolutely destroy the front tupperware, battery, front of the motor, etc. If you're going over speed bumps or curbs that high, you need to find an alternate route.
okie vision
Posted 2013-09-18 10:22 AM (#144649 - in reply to #144640)

Iron Butt

Broken Arrow, OK
Monkeyman - 2013-09-18 8:08 AM

Sorry, okie, but these DID happen with "just age and rolling down the road".

No apology needed. I think it is a poor design.
You didn't change my mind but its an interesting topic

Edited by okie vision 2013-09-18 10:34 AM
Spiderman
Posted 2013-09-18 7:47 PM (#144665 - in reply to #143838)

Cruiser

Hudson, Ohio
Ohhhh Boys.....wait till you see the WitchDoctor solution. Got a sneak peek today.....gonna be a nice alternative to other offerings that is for sure.
okie vision
Posted 2013-09-18 10:11 PM (#144668 - in reply to #143838)

Iron Butt

Broken Arrow, OK
If there's laser cut web designs in this fender, we're gonna have issues!
Spiderman
Posted 2013-09-19 8:18 AM (#144675 - in reply to #144668)

Cruiser

Hudson, Ohio
okie vision - 2013-09-18 11:11 PM

If there's laser cut web designs in this fender, we're gonna have issues!

LOL....that would be cool! Thanks for the idea....I will get with the Doctor stat!
drustar
Posted 2013-09-27 7:36 PM (#145993 - in reply to #143838)

New user

Any update would be much appreciated. Both sides are cracked all the way on my bike. Duck tape is working so far.
XRsteve
Posted 2013-09-27 10:53 PM (#146002 - in reply to #143838)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
Hope to see something soon...........
witchdoctor
Posted 2013-09-28 11:13 AM (#146012 - in reply to #143838)

Cruiser

I actually got behind. I have also been making some Cross bike body panels that guys want before Daytona. No excuses- I'm working on it today.
opas ride
Posted 2013-09-28 7:10 PM (#146020 - in reply to #143838)

Tourer

Took care of my fender problems and am now riding a Honda F6B..Loved both my Vic's but have longed to return to the flat 6 motor...Good luck with the replacement fenders as Jon will find a good solution....Ride safe......
XRsteve
Posted 2013-09-28 7:17 PM (#146021 - in reply to #146020)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
opas ride - 2013-09-28 7:10 PM

Took care of my fender problems and am now riding a Honda F6B..Loved both my Vic's but have longed to return to the flat 6 motor...Good luck with the replacement fenders as Jon will find a good solution....Ride safe......

Tell us a little more about it.........
witchdoctor
Posted 2013-10-12 10:45 AM (#146558 - in reply to #143838)

Cruiser

So here it finally is!

I had made a proto type and mounted it on the bike on Wed but didn't quite like the fit. So knowing that Spiderman was coming Friday, I started from scratch again. I stayed up 36 hours and built a new mold and a new fender! Yes folks I built this in a day. lol Spiderman is testing it out for me and will give feedback soon. So far he has about 250 miles on it with no problems.

So here are the specs:

Everything the same size as the stock one
Fiberglass with reinforced around mounting points with Kevlar
Gel-coated finish
Direct bolt on- no drilling required
Works with factory fog lights
Available in primer or factory color finish
I will have an install video. So far it look like it can be done without removing the front wheel.
Cost $400-500 I will know exact when I start producing them
Hopefully available mid November but I have to see how production goes

(v1.jpg)

(v2.jpg)

(v3.jpg)

(v8.jpg)

(v4.jpg)

(v5.jpg)

(v6.jpg)

(v7.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments v1.jpg (34KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments v2.jpg (29KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments v3.jpg (35KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments v8.jpg (32KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments v4.jpg (72KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments v5.jpg (69KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments v6.jpg (79KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments v7.jpg (74KB - 4 downloads)
willtill
Posted 2013-10-12 1:41 PM (#146559 - in reply to #143838)

Visionary

Central Maryland
One piece! That 'sucka IS NOT going to fall off...! Sounds well built too!

Hope Ma Vic is watching this thread.
CoolHandLuke
Posted 2013-10-12 3:46 PM (#146562 - in reply to #143838)

Iron Butt

, FL United States
Looks good, Jon. Will be following this thread re: cost, availability, etc
varyder
Posted 2013-10-12 4:48 PM (#146564 - in reply to #143838)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
It's mighty good work jon, might good work! I noticed the "step" that basically mimics the original two piece design. Was there any problem in not putting this step down in your design?

Edited by varyder 2013-10-12 4:48 PM
Street Eagle
Posted 2013-10-12 5:43 PM (#146566 - in reply to #143838)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
Jon.,,quite a handsome piece and display of craftsmanship!!! Its great to see that is still strong Vision advocates like yourself creating new and innovative solutions for our Vision owner community.
witchdoctor
Posted 2013-10-13 9:26 AM (#146600 - in reply to #143838)

Cruiser

Varyder- My goal was to mimic the stock fender as nearly as possible. The rear step 1- does this and 2- a lot of people told me they like the look of the rear section being black and the front painted to match their bike. The thing it also does is makes a great place to tape off when painting a two tone color. Whenever you can "break" the lines between colors it looks better. An example would be you wouldn't paint one color down the center of a door and another color right above it. If would look dumb. If you did the two colors on the edge or where a factory molding is it looks better. Its an extremely small detail thing but I tried to incorporate a bunch of things in the design.

The rear portion of the fender is narrowed up just a bit so that it is easier for you to install. With my design you DO NOT have to remove the front wheel. If it was left as wide as stock it wouldn't fit between the forks. In order for you to slide the factory fender on you would have to remove the front wheel. I cant see any other reason why Victory made it two piece. The two piece (as Victory has it) makes the fender easy to install maybe at the factory or during manufacturing.

Another thing that I didn't mention is I'm working on metal bushings that will go in the bolt holes of the fender. This way when you tighten up the bolts you will actually squish the bushing and not so much on the fiberglass. All really well made fiberglass parts incorporate this. It helps to relieve the possibility of creating stress cracks. Star bursts? Nope not with this. Ever see a fiberglass fender with little star bursts on them from stones and rocks hitting the underside and and breaking the paint? My fender incorporates a liner that stops this as well as giving it rigidity.

I have tried to incorporate just about everything into this fender. Its a combination of what you all asked for as well as making it strong, safe, reliable and somewhat easy to manufacture. The fact that you can buy it and install it out of the box yourself is just icing on the cake and another reason why Witchdoctors.com remains number 1.
willtill
Posted 2013-10-13 10:17 AM (#146601 - in reply to #143838)

Visionary

Central Maryland
Huzzah for WitchDoctors !!!!
XRsteve
Posted 2013-10-13 6:00 PM (#146614 - in reply to #143838)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
Excellent job brother................
witchdoctor
Posted 2013-10-13 6:49 PM (#146617 - in reply to #143838)

Cruiser

Thank you.
varyder
Posted 2013-10-13 9:27 PM (#146623 - in reply to #143838)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Thanks, it is a work of art.
varyder
Posted 2013-10-13 9:27 PM (#146624 - in reply to #143838)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Thanks, it is a work of art.
Spiderman
Posted 2013-10-14 3:22 PM (#146675 - in reply to #143838)

Cruiser

Hudson, Ohio
Sorry for not posting earlier folks BUT, I was riding the twisties in SE Ohio this weekend with a bunch of other great people (most Victory or former Victory owners).

Anyway, my week last week was very unpredictable due to all the issues Jon had with this fender project. He spent a long time developing the mold, only to find out last Wednesday that the mold was flawed and the fender project was set back. I thought - oh well, I have my conquest bike (V3NIM) and I will just take that on the trip. This was Wednesday...so, I started to plan the trip (packing, etc) with V3NIM in mind. Friday evening, Jon calls me and says - "hey your Vision and the new fender will be ready at 9PM and if you like I will BRING IT TO YOU"! I was shocked - utterly shocked at this development. Jon lives and works iN Warren, OH - about 45 minutes to an hour from my house. I said thanks, but I will hop on V3NIM and drop it off and pick up the Vision. He said fine. I get there, the fender is done and drying under a heat lamp...it's warm to the touch and Jon starts installing it on the Vision.

No offense Jon but he looked like hell and I said - how long have you been here - he said "I have been working on this since Wednesday - non stop". I said when was the last time you slept - Jon said - Wednesday.

The bottom line, Jon said my Vision was going to be ready on Friday and come hell or high water he was going to get it ready. And, he did. By the way, he also installed, new 2" back bars, new Avon heated grips, painted the trunk top black, installed new shift linkage too!

OK - my review on the fender. It is top notch...excellent quality and will be even better when Jon adds the special made bushings where the fender bolts to the forks (overkill but does not add much in cost and adds additional piece of mind). The one piece design looks exactly like the OEM fender BUT it is one complete piece. The back part of the fender is slightly more narrow than the orginal OEM so it will slide easily through the forks. It took Jon all of 15 minutes to install it. I had zero issues with it on my approximate 500 miles that I put on it through the twisties this weekend. The only thing I noticed is the road debris makes a slightly different sound when hitting the fiberglas vs. the OEM plastic. This is exactly what I wanted and I highly recommend it to anyone that wants to put this fender issue to rest - once and for all.

(photo 1.JPG)

(photo 2.JPG)

(photo 3.JPG)

(photo 4.JPG)

(photo 5.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments photo 1.JPG (135KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments photo 2.JPG (141KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments photo 3.JPG (117KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments photo 4.JPG (128KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments photo 5.JPG (142KB - 0 downloads)
varyder
Posted 2013-10-14 3:57 PM (#146676 - in reply to #143838)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
It looks lower so there wouldn't be a need for a flap, am I seeing that right?
DrDecay
Posted 2013-10-14 4:54 PM (#146679 - in reply to #143838)

Cruiser

Apopka, FL
Do you paint it before shipping or is that up to us to paint?
witchdoctor
Posted 2013-10-17 6:07 PM (#146791 - in reply to #143838)

Cruiser

As I said in the earlier post it is the same size as stock with the exception of the rear being more narrow and it will come painted. I decided against longer because to many people said no because of speed bumps.
iluvink
Posted 2013-10-18 9:52 AM (#146816 - in reply to #143838)

Tourer

Dallas, Texas
Looks great, fantastic job! Now, so I can save my pennies...when are orders starting? How much? '08 in Super Steel Gray, if you would, please Sir...TRULY appreciate your craftsmanship.
witchdoctor
Posted 2013-10-19 9:07 AM (#146861 - in reply to #143838)

Cruiser

Should be available mid-late Nov. thanks
jzrawlins
Posted 2014-02-24 2:19 PM (#151666 - in reply to #143838)

Puddle Jumper

Any updates on this?
Arkainzeye
Posted 2014-02-24 3:13 PM (#151668 - in reply to #143838)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
but... I dont see the option for the Laser guided Deer Slayer Missile attachment ? !!
Highwayman
Posted 2014-02-24 10:43 PM (#151686 - in reply to #143838)

Cruiser

Iowa
As others have said, thanks Jon for what you do for Vision riders. It looks great. Guess I better go look at my front fender for cracks.
wseemann
Posted 2014-02-25 1:54 PM (#151706 - in reply to #143838)

Cruiser

Boydsville, AR United States
I replaced mine on my 2008 last summer. Blamed the guys who installed a new front tire, because the forks locked up a couple of weeks later. It hasn't been over any curbs, speed bumps, or on a lift since. I just checked the fender, and it is starting to crack again. *(&^%#%$@#$%$!!!!!
I have never been so happy with a bike since this one, with the exception of the fender issue. When I go ta a bike shop, I don't want a new one, I want mine. But it is fun to look.
jzrawlins
Posted 2014-02-28 11:28 AM (#151808 - in reply to #143838)

Puddle Jumper

Can we buy these yet or is there still a hangup?
ridenfun
Posted 2014-03-26 12:53 AM (#153697 - in reply to #151808)

Cruiser

Calgary, AB,

jzrawlins - 2014-02-28 10:28 AM Can we buy these yet or is there still a hangup?

Any updates on availability yet\/

witchdoctor
Posted 2014-04-06 9:16 AM (#154021 - in reply to #143838)

Cruiser

http://buywitchdoctors.com/p/2621/victory-motorcycle-parts-products...
XRsteve
Posted 2014-04-06 1:49 PM (#154025 - in reply to #143838)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
Sweet !!!!!!!
BrandonM7
Posted 2014-04-06 11:19 PM (#154043 - in reply to #143838)

Cruiser

LaGrange, GA
Outstanding work, sir. I've put it on the short (very short) list.
taz456
Posted 2014-07-17 11:54 AM (#163381 - in reply to #146600)

Cruiser

Pittsburgh, PA
If you installed one of these, can you post a new update on how these are standing the test of time. They have been out for 3 months and I need a new front fender. Another question I have. Has Victory fixed the new stock fenders? I need to get some deer impact work done and a new fender is on the list. If I get a new stock one now, will it still have the same issues? I have other items I wish to purchase from witchdoctors so I'm pretty sure that is the way I a mooing to go.