CB radios
atvtinker
Posted 2016-03-17 1:59 PM (#179309)
Subject: CB radios

Tourer

Grand Cane, LA
Did a search on here and didn't really see much about cb radio usage and types. I was wondering has anyone used the smaller portable cb radios on their bike and what brand did you use that worked well. I was looking at putting a Midland 75-822 portable on my bike to use when cell service isn't available in case of an emergency when I attempt to make my trip to Prudhoe Bay. My brother just put the cb module ($600) on his Honda Goldwing which I think was a big waste of money as we will probably only ever use it on this one trip. So do the masses think a portable is worth the effort? We already have Senas in our helmets for communications between us.

Edited by atvtinker 2016-03-17 2:01 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
rdbudd
Posted 2016-03-18 4:43 PM (#179325 - in reply to #179309)
Subject: RE: CB radios

Visionary

Jasper, MO
I have and use CB radios on my bikes. We use them a lot. I have the factory CB on my Vision. It gets used far more than the stereo when I'm riding with a group of touring bikes. My group includes a lot of Harleys, a few Goldwings, a Yamaha, a Kawasaki, and my Victorys.

I have had a J&M portable on my Sport Cruiser for the past 14 years. It is a Midland with the J&M harness. Still works.

Ronnie
atvtinker
Posted 2016-03-21 1:53 PM (#179360 - in reply to #179309)
Subject: Re: CB radios

Tourer

Grand Cane, LA
Ronnie, so I'm assuming you are using a wired headset with your setup as I see that is really the only option anyone offers for a cb? I never put the cb option on my Vision when I had it, but does it play through the speakers or only through the wired headset? Was wondering if the cb option could possibly work on the CCT if I just had to go that option, or has the radio systems changed that much since, that is why they don't offer a cb option anymore?

Edited by atvtinker 2016-03-21 1:54 PM
RoteBarron
Posted 2016-03-21 5:50 PM (#179363 - in reply to #179309)

Puddle Jumper

Cheyenne, WY United States
FWIW I have the factory CB on my 2013 Vision and it works well. Pretty sure if I had the speakers on it would come through them. A friend did that. Someone in his group saw a cutie walking across the street and commented. She heard it so I figure I leave mine off and just listen thru the wired headset but each to his own. There are Bluetooth units but then everyone else has to have one too. JB seems to sell some CBs for visions but the factory unit integrates with the radio and is sweet. I suspect you could find one on e-bay maybe even a reasonable price...Just saying......
rdbudd
Posted 2016-03-26 5:29 PM (#179505 - in reply to #179360)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
atvtinker - 2016-03-21 1:53 PM

Ronnie, so I'm assuming you are using a wired headset with your setup as I see that is really the only option anyone offers for a cb? I never put the cb option on my Vision when I had it, but does it play through the speakers or only through the wired headset? Was wondering if the cb option could possibly work on the CCT if I just had to go that option, or has the radio systems changed that much since, that is why they don't offer a cb option anymore?

Yessir, both of mine are wired. Powered from the bike. I like it that way. The factory one on the Vision is completely integrated with the audio system and provides communication via intercom for my wife and myself, and communication to others via the CB for either of us. On the Vision, you can only hear the intercom or CB through the wired headsets, while the stereo can be heard on both the external speakers and the wired headsets. Either separately, or both simultaneously. Outsiders can't hear the intercom or CB over the external speakers.

I do not know why they don't offer the CB option anymore. Honda, Harley, and Yamaha all still do. It is ancient technology, but it offers advantages that some of us still appreciate. Range is a biggie. The Sena type units just don't compare favorably to the old-tech CB when it comes to range. Also, you can talk to anyone else who has a CB.

The one on my Sport Cruiser is a solo unit and can only be heard through the headset. I do not have any other audio equipment on it. The same helmet and headset works with either bike by simply using the appropriate lower cord with the J&M headset.

You might be well served by the J&M CB2003 unit. It will transfer to other bikes when the time comes. Give these folks a call http://www.sierra-mc.com/categories.asp?cat=242

Ronnie

Edited by rdbudd 2016-03-26 5:34 PM
atvtinker
Posted 2016-04-04 7:04 AM (#181775 - in reply to #179309)

Tourer

Grand Cane, LA
Thanks for the info Ronnie. I decided to go with the Midland 75-822 portable and put an external antenna on the rear of the bike. I'm going to use the Motochello RfPlus to go from the cb to my helmet. The Motochello has a wired headset that is universal so it should work with any of my helmets. It also has an 3.5mm input so that I can listen to music as well. Using a 3' Firestick for the antenna, so I should get a decent signal. I should have it all installed this week. Wish me luck!
rdbudd
Posted 2016-04-06 11:02 AM (#181854 - in reply to #181775)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
You "may" need to use an NGP (non-ground plane) antenna since the Cross Country has an aluminum frame and lots of plastic. It won't affect your receive signal very much, but your transmit range will be disappointing if you can't get the SWRs tuned correctly. I would use an adjustable antenna in either case, so that you can tune it.

Make sure the installer checks the SWRs and tunes the antenna. It's critical to good operation.

Ronnie
Bashcars
Posted 2016-04-06 11:46 AM (#181857 - in reply to #179309)

Cruiser

Katy, TX United States
I have a CB on my VV. You MUST use a NGP antenna and have it tuned properly. I have a 3 foot Firestik II No-Ground Plane antenna. It works great. Easy to tune.
atvtinker
Posted 2016-04-06 1:53 PM (#181858 - in reply to #179309)

Tourer

Grand Cane, LA
Thanks guys. That is the antenna that I have put on the bike and the install is being done by me. I bought the antenna kit from Clay's Radio. I only lack getting an SWR meter right now to tune the antenna and then I will be done. I turned the system on just to make sure everything was working electrically and so far so good. I can hear a lot of people talking through the channels, but I don't want to transmit yet until the antenna is tuned.
Bashcars
Posted 2016-04-08 12:09 PM (#181869 - in reply to #179309)

Cruiser

Katy, TX United States
I got my SWR meter at Radio Shack about a year before they went belly up.
dr_reloader
Posted 2016-04-08 3:22 PM (#181870 - in reply to #181775)

Tourer

, FL United States

How are you planning on mounting the Midland cb? I ride with a bunch of guys that use the cb and have an 08 which Vic no longer sells.

atvtinker
Posted 2016-04-09 10:30 PM (#181889 - in reply to #179309)

Tourer

Grand Cane, LA
dr reloader I plan on putting it in a small magnetic tank bag and run the power and antenna connection out to cigarette lighter plug in the dash and the antenna end I have zip-tied to the wiring harness on the left side just under the receptacle. Then all I have to do is add the Motochello unit in the bag with the radio along with the PTT button and have the headset cord come out real close to me. It makes it all real easy to disconnect and take off the bike and not worry about someone messing with it when I'm not on the bike. The tank bag I have has a clear front so I can see all the functions on the radio without having to take it out of the bag. The Midland has some pre-set buttons that I can program on it so I can switch channels through the bag. All I will have to set is the volume before I zip it up, but I can still make minor adjustments to that while it is in there. Was trying to make it as easy to put on and take off for when I don't use it or to clean the bike.

Edited by atvtinker 2016-04-09 10:32 PM