Charging system question
bronzemistic
Posted 2018-08-16 7:29 PM (#192674)
Subject: Charging system question

New user

I need some advice fellow visionaries...I have a '12 VV with 25k miles. The other morning I took a ride to get some air before it got too hot here in South Jersey. I stopped for a cup and when I pulled away my battery light came on.

I was reading only about 13 volts even at speed and it was steadily dropping. At one point I had to stop at a light and it began charging briefly but that was short lived. I pointed her home but after about 10 miles I was down under 10 volts and sinking, she started missing and died.

Progressive Ins. roadside assistance my *ss but I did get her home in one piece eventually.

I read what I could find on these forums (incredible amount of info over the years) and was pretty sure the stator was fried so I charged the battery and tested the output per the Service Manual (free download thanks again vision-riders). The stator is supplying good voltage, right at 25 volts at idle give or take a decimal and consistent across all three poles.

I'm thinking the regulator may be suspect but the testing procedure isn't all that straight forward to me...diode testing? What, what?

What do you think?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
johnnyvision
Posted 2018-08-23 2:02 PM (#192678 - in reply to #192674)
Subject: Re: Charging system question

Visionary

https://www.rmstator.com/en_ww/products/mosfet-voltage-regulator-rec...
rippen345
Posted 2018-09-16 11:38 AM (#192690 - in reply to #192674)
Subject: RE: Charging system question

Puddle Jumper

i have a 2012 vv and it did same thing . voltage regulator I bought mine used on e-bay. no trouble since