Heated Clothing Outlet (Gerbing) Warning
mrwatson
Posted 2010-01-08 4:31 PM (#50982)
Subject: Heated Clothing Outlet (Gerbing) Warning

Cruiser

Aubrey, TX
I bought some gear recently on the heated clothing outlet and my wife has been complaining about hot spots with the jacket liner. I sent it back in for warranty and they said there was nothing they could do. They asked if it was properly sized and I informed them that we were sized with a local dealer so they should fit properly. After some email exchanges I expressed my dislike of having a product that I could not use since I just spent 130 bucks on it. All of out other gears works fine. Tina from Gerbing's response was "The other option would be to sell the item on EBay. We have had a lot of customers that have been very successful selling their heated clothing via EBay." I then responded and copied the local sales rep. and she responded "Unfortunately, I'm unable to help since you purchased fromthe outlet. From your email, I thought you had purchased
the item from Maxim.The outlet states:
>>Products sold on this store are fully operational but may
contain a slight flaw, minor blemish, or the product may be
slightly used, but still in close to new condition. Some
products may be 100% new but are being discontinued by the
manufacturer. All products sold through
HeatedClothingOutlet.com are sold as is. ALL SALES ARE
FINAL.<<<

My understanding was that Gerbing gear carried a lifetime warranty on the electrical components. Short of it is..Gerbing does not seem to want to fix stuff from the outlet...so be careful.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
TheLoveDoctor
Posted 2010-01-08 5:09 PM (#50985 - in reply to #50982)
Subject: Re: Heated Clothing Outlet (Gerbing) Warning

Cruiser

Columbia, TN United States
Great to know. Thank you for the heads up on them.
Webhair
Posted 2010-01-08 6:31 PM (#50990 - in reply to #50982)

Iron Butt

Peachtree City, GA
It is disappointing to hear of your interactions with them. I have purchased several itmes from the outlet site with any problem at all. But as they state SOLD AS IS...

I can tell you one thing - there is really no way to tell want came from a dealer and what came from the outlet store that I have found...
Webhair
Posted 2010-01-08 6:31 PM (#50991 - in reply to #50982)

Iron Butt

Peachtree City, GA
It is disappointing to hear of your interactions with them. I have purchased several itmes from the outlet site with any problem at all. But as they state SOLD AS IS...

I can tell you one thing - there is really no way to tell want came from a dealer and what came from the outlet store that I have found...
Teach
Posted 2010-01-08 7:02 PM (#50993 - in reply to #50982)

Visionary

Sorry to hear of the hotspot issue. There are several online articles about how to repair the Gerbing heated gear. Lots of folks going with the TourMaster due to the heat plates instead of the wires
metalguy
Posted 2010-01-08 10:41 PM (#51014 - in reply to #50982)

Tourer

Tacoma, WA
I have tourmaster gear, and they do not use heat plates, whatever they are. Their heated gear uses carbon fiber for the elements, and works really well. Some have had trouble with the controllers, but have had replacements on the spot. -----Metalguy
Bubba
Posted 2010-01-09 6:57 AM (#51022 - in reply to #50982)

Cruiser

Are you using a controller or just the on off switch.
mrwatson
Posted 2010-01-09 9:32 AM (#51031 - in reply to #51022)

Cruiser

Aubrey, TX
Bubba - 2010-01-09 6:57 AM

Are you using a controller or just the on off switch.

we use the dual controllers
Smitty
Posted 2010-01-10 2:27 PM (#51081 - in reply to #50982)
Subject: Well, they did warn you that

Cruiser

Products sold on this store are fully operational but may
contain a slight flaw.

Any time you buy a second, you're taking a risk.
varyder
Posted 2010-01-10 2:57 PM (#51083 - in reply to #50982)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
leather and longjohns baby. No flaws and are good down to 9 degrees so far on an hour+ ride.

Also, in todays techy world, when you buy something they can tell where that product was sold, I would suspect Gerbing knows what's sold through their stores, vs outlets.

There is a reason you paying significantly lower prices at an outlet so don't kid yourself thinking you'll get the priviledges of buying direct from the manufacturer, regardless of the manufacturer, from an outlet.

Edited by varyder 2010-01-10 2:58 PM
mrwatson
Posted 2010-01-11 8:26 AM (#51112 - in reply to #51081)
Subject: RE: Well, they did warn you that

Cruiser

Aubrey, TX
Smitty - 2010-01-10 2:27 PM

Products sold on this store are fully operational but may
contain a slight flaw.

Any time you buy a second, you're taking a risk.

If you click here: http://www.heatedclothingoutlet.com/warranty.shtml

it also states:
LIFETIME warranty on the heating elements for Gerbing?s Heated Clothing and Products!
Gerbing's Heated Clothing extends a Lifetime Warranty on the electrical heating elements for all of its garments or products.

But I did not post to get "they told you so" I posted to let people know my experience.
varyder
Posted 2010-01-11 9:16 AM (#51114 - in reply to #50982)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
mrwatson, I finally went to the website and looked and know what you are saying, I appreciate the information, but now I'm confused as ever. So, if I buy from the outlet and it is a gerbing, and my heating eliment fails, will they fix that, and not the other "flaw" that was in the garment? That's what I'm reading into this. But your experience is "nope", but my question is, why post the warranty stuff on the site as though they will fix it. I'm slooooooooooooow................
mrwatson
Posted 2010-01-11 9:23 AM (#51115 - in reply to #51114)

Cruiser

Aubrey, TX
varyder - 2010-01-11 9:16 AM

mrwatson, I finally went to the website and looked and know what you are saying, I appreciate the information, but now I'm confused as ever. So, if I buy from the outlet and it is a gerbing, and my heating eliment fails, will they fix that, and not the other "flaw" that was in the garment? That's what I'm reading into this. But your experience is "nope", but my question is, why post the warranty stuff on the site as though they will fix it. I'm slooooooooooooow................

To be fair I will ellaborate..they did look at it and said there were no issues...that is when I explained again that my wife could not use because of the hot spots and asked what my choices were. Of course Tina asked what my wife wore under the liner and if used a controller. I gave her that info and that is when she told me to sell on ebay. From a customer service perspective I just thought she should have offered something else..like go somewhere local to test a liner or something..and of course the response that several customers have good luck selling on ebay was not that good..I was thinking "that many customers have issues and have to sell on ebay".
VaParadox
Posted 2010-01-12 9:21 PM (#51198 - in reply to #50982)

Iron Butt

Richmond, Virginia
As a retailer myself. I understand where customers feel that because they buy a product with a brand name on it, that no matter where they bought it, the warranty should be the same as if they bought directly from the manufacturer. It doesnt work that way. If i sell
an apple, and you dont like the price of my apple and go to a secondary source to buy the same apple that I made and sold BECAUSE IT IS CHEAPER, then you cannot expect ME to warranty or do much for you or your 2nd hand apple. THINK, if my apple cost 50.00
directly from me, and someone else was selling MY apple for 25.00, YOU ARE GETTING SOMETHING THAT ISNT FIRST TIER.
I have people coming into my 6000 foot showroom, taking 2 hours of my time asking me everything about a product, wanting to see every color, every size, every fabric and finish, use my sales staff, showroom, heat, etc then they go to the internet to buy the item somewhere else that is merely a "order warehouse" because they want to save 20%, NO you cannot bring your problematic
item back to me to help you correct or fix it. I have no investment in you to give you anymore of my overhead. There is no such thing as "something for nothing". I understand your frustrations, but I agree with Gerbings, you didnt buy it from THEM.
mrwatson
Posted 2010-01-12 10:16 PM (#51203 - in reply to #51198)

Cruiser

Aubrey, TX
Just so u know to include in ur assessment that gerbing owns the heated clothing outlet. So I did buy from them..thanks for ur input
wseemann
Posted 2010-01-14 3:09 PM (#51304 - in reply to #50991)

Cruiser

Boydsville, AR United States
except proof of purchase
victoryvisiontour
Posted 2010-01-15 9:34 AM (#51349 - in reply to #50982)
Subject: RE: Heated Clothing Outlet (Gerbing) Warning

Iron Butt

Anderson, IN (48mi NE of downtown Indianapolis)
Each manufacturer, distributor, retailer, etc. has their own policies. I'm from the product design side of manufacturing. I also see all the warranty claims. We honor all warranties regardless of where it was purchased. We manufacture several products for production HD's and aftermarket off-road bikes. If a failed product is returned to us while still in the warranty period, we fix or replace it at no charge no matter where it was purchased (directly from the motorcycle manufacturer/dealer, internet, fleamarket). The motorcycle manufacturer might not honor your claim if you purchased the product from any source other than them, but we will. Our great customer service is one reason we have become the largest manufacturer in the world in our industry.

When I buy expensive products such as motorcycle parts and gear, I don't look for a specific manufacturer, dealer, distributor, outlet store, etc. I look for the guy that is going to help me out when something goes wrong. A certain manufacturer can have a poor warranty process, but one of their dealers or on-line warehouses could be very easy to work with (or vise versa). I tend to buy from the one that will take of me.