Eye Bolt Tie Downs ?
wjoel
Posted 2010-02-13 9:00 AM (#53186)
Subject: Eye Bolt Tie Downs ?

Tourer

Northeastern Penna.
Has anyone found an eyebolt, similar to the ones that were used underside of the floorboards, during shipment of these bikes.I never received these from the dealer, don't know if they are even left on the bike after they arrive at the dealers.They are not offered as a Victory part num.Thanks !
Top of the page Bottom of the page
VICTORYTCRIDER
Posted 2010-02-13 9:08 AM (#53188 - in reply to #53186)
Subject: Re: Eye Bolt Tie Downs ?

Cruiser

Capitol Region of NH
Mine were left on by the dealer. They should not be used to secure the bike for trailering. There are instructions in the manual for tying the bike down for transporting. Personally I wouldn't even use them to secure the bike on a lift. They are to low to really secure the bike properly.
ScoreBo
Posted 2010-02-13 9:38 AM (#53189 - in reply to #53186)

Iron Butt

Northeast Ohio
My dealers keeps these and gave a pair when I asked. Call your dealer's service dept and ask them if they have any.
wjoel
Posted 2010-02-13 7:13 PM (#53211 - in reply to #53186)
Subject: RE: Eye Bolt Tie Downs ?

Tourer

Northeastern Penna.
Yeah, I know you should not use these as the only means of tieing down the bke during trailering, there is also an area in front of the bike to ratchet to. My dealer did not have any on hand.
bigwill5150
Posted 2010-02-13 11:51 PM (#53219 - in reply to #53186)

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
I ran into this exact same problem and could not get a replacement OEM from Polaris. In the service manual it shows these eyebolts are used to anchor the front of the bike in addition to tie downs while the rear tire is being replaced. I started to take mine off since they weren't good for tie down points before I read that. Then When I had to replace one of mine, I had a dealership give me one that they took off an uncrated bike. They had several on hand. Seems they didn't realize that they were supposed to be kept either (furtanutely for me). I think this is going to be your only option. You may have to wait awhile for them to uncrate another bike. Honestly, I didn't think they were that important but... They help a little if you drop the bike and start doing some asphalt grinding. I'm guilty of this. The extra metal really does provide more surface area for asphalt to grate down. If you look at my pics in the gallery, you can see that the metal that was grated off my bike stopped right about where the eyebolts were. This may be coincidence but I distinctly remember sparks from the front shortly after the bike dropped. My personal theory is that the billet tipover tips were chewed up right away and the eye bolt helped slow the process. Aluminium sparks when ground hard enough but not nearly as much as steel does. This is just my theory based on a bad experience I had. Of course the rear tipovers helped immensely. Other than that most people just strap or clamp the front tire down directly if they need to anchor the front end. Hope you are able to get them reinstalled soon.
kevinx
Posted 2010-02-14 9:16 AM (#53234 - in reply to #53186)

Visionary

Gainesville Fl Home of the Gators
The bad news[actually STUPID news] is that big Vic now requires us TO RETURN the tie down bolts to them with the shipping crates. Failure to do so will result in a charge back for the price of THE ENTIRE CRATE.
In short thanks to some dumbass in acounting. You can no longer get these highly useful hoops for your bike
glighto11
Posted 2010-02-14 10:39 AM (#53242 - in reply to #53186)

Iron Butt

Central New York
Be careful with those eyebolts. My dealer used them as tie downs when mine was delivered to me. They bent in transport so he left them on for me. I had to drop the belly pan to screw them out. They are not particularly good stock and will not tolerate ANY side stress.
Victory1
Posted 2010-02-14 2:47 PM (#53259 - in reply to #53186)
Subject: RE: Eye Bolt Tie Downs ?

Puddle Jumper

I trailer my bike fairly often on family vacations. I have been Rving longer than riding. I prefer to ride the bike anywhere and everywhere. I have teenage children that live at home. This way I can combine the best of both worlds. On family vactions I bring my bike on 40' toy hauler. I use a removable wheel chock up front. I use the factory tie down hook above the front wheel. In the rear I use soft ties around the rear tip overs. This set up is ratched to the trailer floor at four points, and three points on the bike. I've been doing this for several years with the Vision, Jackpot, and Harley.
Many trips are thousands of miles. In aug. of 08 I accidentily collided with an over sized load(tractor trailer) at 70 miles per hour. The Tractor trailer was not drivable, we were able to limp home. The bike remained in its original position. I didn't have to adjust anything as far as the bike was concerned. As far as trailering is concerned I don't believe the eye bolts are needed.
John 08 Vision Premium tour
bigwill5150
Posted 2010-02-17 6:35 PM (#53481 - in reply to #53186)

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
WJOEL: It turns out I have an extra that I'll give you. I'm PM'ing you the details. If you read this, check your inbox.

Everyone: I am going to try to spec these things out to find a stainless substitute that can be polished. Does anyone have this spec already? Unsurprisingly, I lost both my calipers AND my thread gauge at the moment. My tools tend to fall under public domain at the shop.

Edited by bigwill5150 2010-02-17 6:37 PM
chesshiretuna
Posted 2010-02-21 6:54 PM (#53688 - in reply to #53186)

Tourer

It appears to be 10mm x 1.5 pitch by about 13mm long threads with 4mm undercut
bigwill5150
Posted 2010-02-21 11:15 PM (#53697 - in reply to #53688)

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
chesshiretuna - 2010-02-21 5:54 PM

It appears to be 10mm x 1.5 pitch by about 13mm long threads with 4mm undercut

Thanks for the info. I'm going to pring that out and see what I can find online. Maybe someone can sell these in stainless without buying out the entire run of them.
WillieByte
Posted 2010-02-22 7:32 AM (#53709 - in reply to #53697)

Cruiser

Plainfield Illinois
Here's 10m x 1.5 304 stainless eyebolts from McMaster Carr.  I'm not sure that a 45 mm wide eyebolt will have clearance to spin in, but I'll find out tomorrow.  I'm playing hookey from work today.

(Capture_774.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Capture_774.jpg (63KB - 4 downloads)