Indian and Victory
varyder
Posted 2010-04-01 4:10 PM (#56321)
Subject: Indian and Victory

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Stopped by the Indian dealer today and man, what sweet machines. These are for real. I sat on one for the first time and knew I was on a motorcycle. It fit almost as well as the Vision. 26.5 seat height and excellent pull back on the handle bars.

Anyway, to my point, when the dealer described the motor and internal make up I said, "that sounds like a Victory motor." He grins and says the same folks developed and designed both engines. He said that the ones that helped developed the Freedom motor are now the one's working for Indian for the 105. Beautiful engine by the way.

Not stirring the pot, but has anyone heard this before?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
rwilly
Posted 2010-04-01 4:40 PM (#56324 - in reply to #56321)
Subject: Re: Indian and Victory

Tourer

seattle, wa
I thought they were still going to use the Power Plus 100. An Evo with different rocker boxes.
XRsteve
Posted 2010-04-01 6:18 PM (#56334 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
Yeah, the Indian no matter how you put it is a warmed over long stroke evo engine with the FI or carb on the left side. side covers and trimmed down cooling fins don't make it a "new" proper engine. No cruise control and no stereo, they have a long ways to go........
af goalie
Posted 2010-04-01 8:13 PM (#56344 - in reply to #56321)

Cruiser

Rapid City, SD
I overheard a few Indian reps talking to a few Victory reps at Daytona last year. I only caught snippets of the conversation but the Indian rep seemed like they would be keen on partnering up.
XRsteve
Posted 2010-04-01 8:47 PM (#56359 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
Yeah I bet. The "new" Indian ( how many times is this now ? ) is being pieced together in Kings Mountain NC and have maybe three dealerships? Whenever I hear about a new indian I always think " Again?, when will it end? Until they can produce a real indian engine they will always have kit bike status to me.............
Chief Waldo
Posted 2010-04-01 9:02 PM (#56361 - in reply to #56321)

Cruiser

There's substantial differences in the Freedom engine and the Power Plus. Stellican, the owners of Indian, did hire engineers from both Victory and Harley, to redevelop the Power Plus from what it was when they purchased the brand in 2004. Saying the Power Plus is just a warmed over Evo is about as accurate as saying a Harley V-twin is just a warmed over Indian V-twin (since HD copied the design way back early in the 20th Century.)

Having ridden several 2010 Indians (I was a ride leader at an Indian demo-day), I was not happy with the amount of vibration the engine produces, particularly around 3,000 RPM. Add in what it's lacking (cruise, heated grips, heated seats, stereo, faring) and you end up with a very stylish ride that you don't want to take very far... for an awful lot of money. If you get a chance to look one over, take a close look at what you have to do to change the oil filter.

nightvision
Posted 2010-04-01 9:23 PM (#56367 - in reply to #56321)

Cruiser

dinwiddie, va
Yeah, they should give it up already! I couldn't imagine investing my money into a project thats on its 4, 5, 6th revival. I don't even know how many it's been?
RedRider
Posted 2010-04-02 4:46 AM (#56384 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

I hate to see us loose another American brand m/c no matter what the name. Indian needs to follow the Brits. Build the bike on it's own merits like Triumph and Norton. When I saw the Indians in Daytona last year I had sticker shock and had to go for a ride. :P
How can they keep finding investors to build overpriced bikes?
varyder
Posted 2010-04-02 4:51 AM (#56385 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
The point is that Victory and Indian have something in common. Design and style has nothing to do with it either, but the components and engineering. I sat on a Roadmaster and I "FIT" the bike to a T. Okay, now the seat is real leather so there will be a difference of feel, and it will need to be broken in as real leather will need to be. Feet placement is excellent though the floorboards are not as big and the seat height is the same. The pull-back on the handlebars are just right as well.

Marketing, gentleman (and ladies if you are reading) is for the target... I can tell you are not the target, but will admit, I am. I have always loved the looks of a Indian and I really enjoyed myself yesterday killing over a hour of my time from getting home to see my honey.

When he begin to mention material and makeup of the engine is when the covnersation came up and I found out the intimate relationship between America's First Motorcycle and America's Newest Motorcycle, hmmmm.

I won't go into other things we talked about but you guys sound like a bunch of Harley guys talking about the Vision so I'll take all the comments with a grain of salt. Grant it, Indian has and is going through some difficulties and can be criticized for it, but they are opening dealerships around the country and around the world and their target market is buying them. I don't know the criteria or who does it, but the man told me that the Charlotte Indian Dealership is the number one dealership in the nation for all brands. I guess in selling matrix that exceeded what was expected.

He also help me understand that the motorcycle industry knows the target market is the folks who rolls less than 10,000 miles a year on short eventful weekends and that is where the bagger model is. The Vision is NOT that market, the Vision is the Goldwing market and that is the target. Putting on more than 10.000 miles a year makes you the exception.

Indian is stuck in the past with no cruise, no fixed lowers, etc and is targeting the bagger, I want a "real" motorcycle market. I personally think they have done well to keep the look and make a fine fit and finish machine that are individually assembled and not cranked through an assemply line. Each are hand painted, no decals at all.

Now, I didn't notice how hard it is to change the oil filter, but in the scheme of things it is easier, I'm sure, than changing Vision headlight.

The sad thing is forums don't talk motorcycles, they talk their brand, and everything else is a POS, so I expected all the negative comments from the folks, just as I deal with all the negative talk from other brand riders.

One thing that the Indian dealer agreed on, is I have the bike already to eat up the miles I do every year, the Indian is not that bike. With that said though, that is one of my target bikes and I hope to be riding one in a few years. Personally it has all the make up of the bike I want, and feel with the looks I absolutely love. Indians are not the same as Harley's and I can pick them out of the crowd almost always. The bike has a big beefy feel to it, not the little feel of the Harley. It is light on the balance just like the Vision, and it has the makings to be a long lasting engine. Now with that said, I'm sure there is some maintenance to be done that I've not had to do with the Freedom. The engine is sweet sounding and does not have the vibration at idle as a Harley. But there is some vibration as that is part of the appeal for the owner, and I agree. Since I wasn't going through the wickets to pre-qualifiy I couldn't test ride, as they only allow those for folks who can roll out the door and I don't blame them on that.

He also pointed out that this is not a 2003 makeover, but went back to the 40's and 50's to keep the original look and style and then come to present day technology. The market worldwide is focused on nostalga and not futuristc. They are not into all that extra stuff, if that is what you want, get a Wing, BMW or Vision. Another thing is that they use the same manufacturer for the handle bar housing as Victory, so there is another kinship there as well.

It is what it is, and I had a great time, bought an Indian hat and T-shirt that I'll be sporting proudly while riding my Vision. By the way, excellent material used to make it to so that will last a long time.

Edited by varyder 2010-04-02 4:55 AM
mkultra
Posted 2010-04-02 6:20 AM (#56391 - in reply to #56321)

Tourer

Tucson, AZ
varyder, Thanks for the writeup. I also rode one recently just to see, and for the same reasons would have one as a second bike if money was not an option. Hundred mile days would find me on the Indian, but those are far and few for me, so the Vision would still be my main ride. To me it would be like owning a classic hot rod, theres days made for just showing off and enjoying the world in a different way, then theres days when I want to really ride hundreds of miles, and the Vision would be my choice.

mike
Bubba
Posted 2010-04-02 6:40 AM (#56392 - in reply to #56321)

Cruiser

They did hire the lead tech that designed the original Hammer Style engine that was use in 99,00 and 01. I do not believe he was there for the freedom design. I have to agree, I have alwas been attracted to the Indian and like the Old design. Just to much $$$ for what you got even back in 03 IMO.
varyder
Posted 2010-04-02 7:13 AM (#56394 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I told him the $$$ is what is holding me back and he replies with that people want a Bentley cheap too! I clarified that didn't want cheap, I just couldn't afford it at the time. He continued to entertain me for another hour anyways. Come to find out, he was the owner of the dealership.
XRsteve
Posted 2010-04-02 9:07 AM (#56406 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
Bently, he's gotta be kidding ??? I believe those come with cruise control. Talking about the dealership in Gastonia, I've been there and talked to a sales person, sounded like the same stuff I heard from a sales person in a Sararsota Fl. delership in 2003 before the last time Indian went belly up. Back then I was on my new RoadGlide ( 47,000 miles now ), this time I was on my new Vision. Maybe they'll make it this time only time and wheels out the door will tell that story.
varyder
Posted 2010-04-02 9:16 AM (#56409 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
not to keep arguing the point but it is what you want... Even if Victory was to go belly up or take over the world I got what I wanted. On cruise, I personnally don't use mine except for the very occasional throttle lock. So on the Indian not having all the Wing crap is a selling point for me...
hammo
Posted 2010-04-02 8:02 PM (#56484 - in reply to #56321)

Puddle Jumper

Not to argue any points one way or the other, but I have a friend in FL that bought one of the new Indians a few months ago and it is a beautiful machine. It was in his shop at the time, but not road ready. His personal opinion is that he now wishes he had not bought it because it has been in the shop more than he has been able to keep it on the road. He did say they have been doing the right thing from a service perspective, but felt it was released far too early and does not yet have all the bugs and kinks shaken out of it. I loved the new line of Indians when they first started talking about them again about a year ago but the target market is well above what I am willing to spend on a motorcycle. When you are talking a base price of 30K and going up from there, probably not the best timing for that price point.

That being said, I do hope they make it as it is great to have more American manufacturers. Sadly, this may be another relatively short lived Indian and most likely won't make it for the long haul. I hope I am wrong.

MH
Chief Waldo
Posted 2010-04-02 9:01 PM (#56488 - in reply to #56321)

Cruiser

Stellican has said from the time they purchased Indian that it's their goal to make Indian a luxury brand, with an owner experience similar to Bentley. As a result, you have a machine that's hand assembled by small teams, using very nice materials. While I wouldn't say it was a 2003 warmover, I WOULD say that it's an evolution of the Gilroy Power Plus Chiefs. There are more similarities than differences to the frame. Parts from one will bolt onto the frame of the other. The major difference being modifications to the rear suspension to accommodate a larger rear tire. Although the engine has been reengineered, it also is an evolution of the Gilroy Power Plus. As a matter of fact, the reason why the engine is now 105ci is that they removed the iron cylinder liners - going to nikasil treated cylinder walls - which increased the bore.
If you're interested in an Indian and think of the Chief as too expensive, they are planning a Scout, which will be less expensive. They have also said that they plan on a model above the Chief - possibly at straight 4 - as their premiere model.
varyder
Posted 2010-04-02 9:10 PM (#56489 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I'm having to re-evaluate my actual purchase of an Indian. One, if I did get one, $30,000+ it'll have to be in a mighty good shed every night, not like my Vision or any of my previous bikes. Literally they are a work of art, to me, and have a lot of interesting detail that appears flawless. Nothing, and I mean nothing looks cheap and it is definitely quality craftmanship. The target market is not the everyday rider like me or anyone who would complain about the price. I've always wanted to own either a Shelby, Cobra, or GT as all of those are work of art as well. For motorcycles, it is the Indian. I can justify riding it everyday if I hold out a few years and get an 2010 used one for a significant lower price. There is no doubt it would be low mileage, but it was made clear to me that this bike is good for a long ride, but not just everyday. The owner is an avid rider, but his long days are 400-500 and he has done Iron Butts on an Indian. He was not afraid to tell me I was on the right bike for how I roll, and he was not afraid to tell me that the Indian was not that bike.

He also mentioned that Indian is in a growth spurt and is opening dealerships around the world and here in the US, and at a good pace. The investors have great confidence that Indian has hit the target this time. I told him not having a dealer close by is not a concern to me, but he went on to explain that they will work with any motorcycle techician anywhere to help them do what they need to do. The service bays are spotless and I only saw three on the rack. One was in a service, one was an 2003 that needed a few things and I don't recall what the third was.

We talked our passion, bikes of all brands without bashing, except japanese which he won't talk at all, and how we all should be grateful to Harley for the marketing they have done to lure wannabe's in, as many of us probably wouldn't be riding today. We even agreed that Harley needs to keep doing what they are doing so that the rest will stay in the game. I guess the strategy there is that it keeps the cost down for those of us that really like to ride and for those that ride to live is more than a saying.

But with anything, you have to start somewhere, it doesn't take long on this forum or the other forums that Victory has their problems as well. We just have to remember it is not all, just the few that become vocal and make it a bigger problem than what it is.

Ride safe.

Edited by varyder 2010-04-02 9:14 PM
wroman
Posted 2010-04-02 9:40 PM (#56495 - in reply to #56321)

Tourer

Gettysburg, 2008 Tour Premium
I owned a Gilroy Indian. I appreciate what they are doing keeping the name alive and have to admit that in no recent time has the climate been wrong for introducing a premium brand. That said I asked if they offer tours to the production facility and their reply knowing that I was a past Indian owner was "no." Only if I owned a new Indian could I get in. Screw that and them. The bike was the worst machine I ever owned. I rode from Gettysburg to Phoenix and back and all I can say is it was good to have some mechanical knowledge. I rejetted my carb at a NM rest stop as well as bypassed my solenoid along the way because the starter relay when kaput. The last guy that came up to me and told me how neat my Indian Chief Vintage was I told I am going in the restaurant and the key were in it. When I traded the bike it needed head gaskets. These engine would generally blow the bottom ends around 18K and the people that claimed to have the fix for the engines charges three grand for basicly another 12-18 K worth of use. I am getting tired of writing now so I will leave it there.
wroman
Posted 2010-04-02 9:40 PM (#56496 - in reply to #56321)

Tourer

Gettysburg, 2008 Tour Premium
I owned a Gilroy Indian. I appreciate what they are doing keeping the name alive and have to admit that in no recent time has the climate been wrong for introducing a premium brand. That said I asked if they offer tours to the production facility and their reply knowing that I was a past Indian owner was "no." Only if I owned a new Indian could I get in. Screw that and them. The bike was the worst machine I ever owned. I rode from Gettysburg to Phoenix and back and all I can say is it was good to have some mechanical knowledge. I rejetted my carb at a NM rest stop as well as bypassed my solenoid along the way because the starter relay when kaput. The last guy that came up to me and told me how neat my Indian Chief Vintage was I told I am going in the restaurant and the key were in it. When I traded the bike it needed head gaskets. These engine would generally blow the bottom ends around 18K and the people that claimed to have the fix for the engines charges three grand for basicly another 12-18 K worth of use. I am getting tired of writing now so I will leave it there.
kevinx
Posted 2010-04-02 9:48 PM (#56497 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

Gainesville Fl Home of the Gators
UMMMMM Got to ask. Exactly what does a 45 degree V-twin with push rods, Cast liners, dry sump oiling, multi case castings, roller bearing, kife\fork rods, and a chain driven primary have; that could be remotly in common with a Vic motor?? Don't get me wrong. I like the Indian, and hope they can get their shit together soon enough to not fail again. Lot's of great things going on with them, but a high tech drive train is not one of them
varyder
Posted 2010-04-02 10:45 PM (#56499 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
There are few things that appeals to the average rider for the Indian. The style has always appealled to me and would love to own what I believe what I want to believe what Indian is.

The reason for my post was as I was talking with the dealer about the bike he named some stuff like aluminum engine and the nickle lining. I said that sounds like a Vic motor, and he goes on to say the folks that did the freedom engine are in on the Indian engine. I also enjoyed talking with a guy that tells it like it is without putting down anyone else's ride. He complimented me for chosing the Vision as an everyday and high mileage rider. Even when he found out that I wasn't even close to buying, that didn't matter to him, he talked with me like a friend.

Everything he told me about the Indian is hitting me right where I want to be hit. I took on another level of appreciation for the passion I have and those who love to ride share, and it ain't about the machine, but the ride. I'm not trying to sell anyone on Indian, take it or leave just as many folks do with the Vision or Victory.

As far as all the tech stuff, it is available somewhere, but keep in mind, the Indian motor is what it is, and the Vic is what it is, the material though share a commonality. Indians are not made for off the line runnin' nor will ever be, nor are they into all the other stuff that Harley, Victory or anyone else for that matter does or caters to. They are what they are and by the sounds of things they have a market with dealers opening all the time since last year. The dealer was very please with what has happened in the last year and so he says, so is everyone else that is interested.

Edited by varyder 2010-04-02 10:47 PM
jjonesmcret
Posted 2010-04-07 4:26 AM (#56848 - in reply to #56321)
Subject: RE: Indian and Victory

Puddle Jumper

I was one of the suckers that bought an Indian in 2000 and it listed for$26,000. Indian Chief Millenium Edition I got stranded 6 times in 5 months, fenders cracked, paint peeled off the gas tank, pipes fell off, electrical problems and had a hard time getting rid of it for $14,000.00 Worst motorcycle I ever owned. However that was not the same maker as now but they will have to stay in business for several years before I would ever take a chance again. They were a great looking bike then and still are.

Edited by jjonesmcret 2010-04-07 4:27 AM
mgoblue
Posted 2010-04-07 8:06 AM (#56860 - in reply to #56321)

Cruiser

Personally i think Indian is the ugliest bike ever produced. What is up woth the tassels on EVERYTHING? Maybe it is a generational thing or something, to each is own but i just never got the Indian thing on top of it it sounds like they have a hard time staying on the road.
rwilly
Posted 2010-04-07 2:28 PM (#56892 - in reply to #56321)

Tourer

seattle, wa
Tassels belong on cheerleaders, not motorcycles.
kevinx
Posted 2010-04-07 9:07 PM (#56918 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

The optional flying nun seat from the new Indian

(indian seat_613x480.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments indian seat_613x480.jpg (64KB - 1 downloads)
rwilly
Posted 2010-04-07 9:13 PM (#56919 - in reply to #56321)

Tourer

seattle, wa
I guess it'll help keep the rain outta the saddlebags?
Flying nun HA!
varyder
Posted 2010-04-08 5:02 AM (#56947 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
This really has become a typical wing or HD forum. I share the similarities of the newest rendition of the Indian having commonality with Victory and let the bashing begin.

It was refreshing to talk with the Indian dealer owner about our passion of riding motorcycles and there was not one opportunity to bash another or put another one's product down for being innovative or at least trying.

I get it all day long how funny looking Victory is and one day they'll make it.

But I find that a lot who ride Victory no matter how much you think you're different, your still the same as the rest.

Ride On! Ride Safe!
kevinx
Posted 2010-04-08 6:13 AM (#56952 - in reply to #56947)

Visionary

varyder - 2010-04-08 6:02 AM

This really has become a typical wing or HD forum. I share the similarities of the newest rendition of the Indian having commonality with Victory and let the bashing begin.

!

The only similarity between a Vic, and Indian is that they are both young companies, and are V Twins. It ends there. The architecture, and construction of the engines, drive-trains and motorcycles are completely different.
As far as bashing goes. Other then a few comments about Gilroy. Not a lot of negative stuff has been said
varyder
Posted 2010-04-08 8:24 AM (#56960 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
so aluminum housing and nickel sleeve is not the composite of a Freedom motor?
rwilly
Posted 2010-04-08 6:01 PM (#56999 - in reply to #56321)

Tourer

seattle, wa
Let Indian die already. They are just trying to make money on a memory ( a memory that most aren't even old enough to remember). It's like if Ford started to build the 72 Torino again, it just cheapens the original. Cobra replicas, Porsche speedster replicas, etc. maybe they are better quality but the will always be nothing more than a wannabe. Thats why I like Victory so much, they are movin forward, they aren't trying to be somebody else. ( maybe the cross bikes)
varyder
Posted 2010-04-08 6:47 PM (#57000 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
and they are selling that memory around the world. Like the dealer told me nostalga is a hot commodity right now.
kevinx
Posted 2010-04-08 7:40 PM (#57012 - in reply to #56960)

Visionary

varyder - 2010-04-08 9:24 AM

so aluminum housing and nickel sleeve is not the composite of a Freedom motor?

Well pretty much EVERY motorcycle engine in the world is made out of aluminum, and The Victory motor has NO SLEEVE at all. So yes in a motor made if hundreds of parts. There are 2 parts similarly conceived. Along with the Star bikes from Yamaha, and a whole slew of sport bikes. Not to pick nits, but the assertion is like saying a Yugo is like a Corvette; because they both use rubber tires
That said I still think the Indian is a cool bike, and I hope they make it.

Edited by kevinx 2010-04-08 7:53 PM
varyder
Posted 2010-04-08 7:59 PM (#57015 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
according to the original discussion last week there is no iron sleeve in the new 105z rather nickel. According to my Vic tech two years ago he said the same exact thing about the Freedom motor, it has a nickel sleeve. Accorring to the Indian website the current engine development guy came from Polaris with his experience in Victory. I just think that is cool that both my favorites has a hint of direct commonality. Curious enough, the new Indian has a low seat height and a low center of gravity. Being a big honkin' cruiser it was easy off the kick and fit my butt as good as the Vision with a comfortable pull back. The seat was real leather as all premium motorcycles should be IMHO so it was harder than the Vision. The floorboards were placed comfortable for me, but the heel shifter has to go and were not as big. If I had the $s I would have gone back to get the Vision. I'm just saying my Vision would be my everyday roller, the Bomber would be my dress to impress.

I am curious why my tech of two years ago would say the freedom motor has nickel liners if it don't. What does the freedom use?

Edited by varyder 2010-04-08 8:04 PM
kevinx
Posted 2010-04-08 8:13 PM (#57019 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

Again I love the look of the Indians. There is no need to justify the fact that you like them with this one tiny spec of semblance between the two motors. Just to be sure you have it right though read the next line.
These motors have no sleeve at all. They are bored, honed, and nikasil[nickle-alloy-silicone] plated. This plating is incredibly hard, and it is also has a very low friction coefficient. Anybody that has told you either of these motors have any type of sleeve at all; is giving you bad information. I have a half dozen Vic cyls in my garage right now, and would gladly send you one for informational purposes
varyder
Posted 2010-04-08 8:15 PM (#57020 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
got it, I think it's symantics on may part, but that clears it up. Thanks Kevin.

Edited by varyder 2010-04-08 8:16 PM
kevinx
Posted 2010-04-08 8:19 PM (#57021 - in reply to #57020)

Visionary

varyder - 2010-04-08 9:15 PM

got it, I think it's symantics on may part, but that clears it up. Thanks Kevin.

SSSSHHHHEEEWWWWWWWW....*LOL* You were wearing me out
donetracey
Posted 2010-04-08 8:32 PM (#57024 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
Now Kevin... be kewl. None of this matters. My 1980 750cc Yamaha Virago V2 would beat the crap out of either of these bikes in performance.
It's all about how you feel - NOT statistics, materials, tricks.
I would buy a Harley something-or-other, or an Indian as a second bike if I had the $$$ and wanted to impress nobody. But I like to RIDE ! FAR !
And nothing beats a KevinXinated Vision
kevinx
Posted 2010-04-08 8:45 PM (#57025 - in reply to #57024)

Visionary

Don,
I think I can make this a little more clear. If I had lotto money; one of these would damn sure be in my fleet
kevinx
Posted 2010-04-08 8:45 PM (#57026 - in reply to #57024)

Visionary

Don,
I think I can make this a little more clear. If I had lotto money; one of these would damn sure be in my fleet

(fighter_640x426.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments fighter_640x426.jpg (44KB - 0 downloads)
donetracey
Posted 2010-04-08 11:48 PM (#57038 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
I'd go with the Mustang - It's a hell of a lot more modern than that 1912 thing....
Why is it some people think bikes should look like antiques, but we wouldn't put up with that crap when we buy a car????
Oh, yeah - RETRO. Well, I for one remember what pieces of crap the old bikes - and old cars were. And want NO part of that.
I was sold on the Vision BECAUSE it was the first design of a bike that seemed to be what bikes SHOULD look like after a 100 years....
varyder
Posted 2010-04-09 6:48 AM (#57050 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Don, I'm with you, the Vision is going no where, wait, it is going somewhere, with me on it...lOl. Even the Indian dealer told me I was on the right bike for the riding I do and how I do it. The Indian is NOT that bike. And yes, RETRO is selling, and if there is a buck to be made, someone will make it. I really admire Indian this go around because they are keeping the memory of what I have always liked. Even for Harley that is what they are selling and their marketing strategy keeps that alive. Truth be told, we would not have a Victory, much less our prized Vision had it not been for Indian, Harley, Euro and *gasp* Japanese bikes that have kept the blood flowing.
pollolittle
Posted 2010-04-09 8:31 AM (#57059 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Ok, I tooo have to finally chime in. When I bought I was told that the Freedom motor is bullet proof. I didn't see any bullets going through any of them, but Kevinx seems to have more than his fair share of Vic Cylinders lying around. Why is that??

Lotto Money, I would probably have one of each I could think of and then one more just to ride around. My own little museum piece, but I would ride them all. Don't see the reason if I can't ride it.

Anybody ride the Sucker Punch Sally bikes? It seems they are way OLD School, like DON! I got to thinking about it, seems they are the one hour bike and then get off and show it off for two or three hours, then hop back on and repeat! Why do I want to spend 20k on something I just want to ride for an hour? Nevermind, I've known a few ladies....
varyder
Posted 2010-04-09 9:33 AM (#57065 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
i'm sure the ones kevin has laying are were pushed to the extreme, everything has its limit...acheiving them is the fun part...

I'm impressed in that mine neither burns, leaks or uses oil between the 4,000 mile oil changes. And it will run 70+ (don't want to incremanate myself) for a sustained 3 hour blast for 8 hours and seem to only running better with every mile. I've got the bike down for a few days replacing the neck bearing... but I'm also reevaluating the way I ride after my return trip from Atlanta. Even I wonder why I do the things I do at times.... maybe I should get a Ridley....
donetracey
Posted 2010-04-09 11:58 AM (#57083 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
Brian - you sayin' I'm "OLD SCHOOL"???
FAR from it - I'm old - but everything around me is 'state-of-the-art'. From my Intel? Core? i7 Processor/Windows7 64bit computer(S) to my 2010 Mazda GT, my Victory Vision, my 50" Plasma & Blu-ray and more. Even my CoPilot is a young, beautiful, state-of-the-art Japanese who drives a Mercedes SMART car.
I'm just OLD enough to know what 'piece-of-shit' means when it comes to talking about cars and bikes. AND people sometimes <grin>
varyder
Posted 2010-04-09 12:11 PM (#57085 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
present company excluded, I'm sure..................
salty
Posted 2010-04-09 1:20 PM (#57093 - in reply to #56321)

Cruiser

Cold lake Alberta
I believe "INDIAN" is on it's 3rd trip around. I really hope they make it this time. They defienlty are bikes for more "priveldged" folks with a 38K tag on the Chief nostalgic, here in Alberta. I love the bike, always have loved Indians! Always willl ! The 100" power plus wasnt great but the 105 with nickel plating should be a step up, you still have a valnced fendered softail no matter how you slice it though

If anyone can keep it going, its Stellcan, they did wonders for Chris Craft!
Gilroy wasnt much more then a "kit bike" at the get go and the backers got greedy pretty quick, and they failed.
Problem was they used good S&S motors but ...S&S apparently did not put them together, Gilroy staff did.

I would love to own an Indian ..maybe someday of i win the lottery and I wish them well, we have a dealer in Alberta now and at least one in BC.
mgoblue
Posted 2010-04-10 12:51 AM (#57137 - in reply to #56321)

Cruiser

Indians are still uglier then hell...
donetracey
Posted 2010-04-10 2:17 AM (#57138 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
WHOA... I live in the land of the FBI

We don't call them that..... for safety reasons. Your safety.

Let's stay with nice - like: "Indians are fugly...." and if you are overheard by a FBI - RUN !

Unless the FBI is a pal, like some of mine - then running is too late. Eventually the bruises heal.... and the friendships deepen.
varyder
Posted 2010-04-10 5:52 AM (#57140 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

Edited by varyder 2010-04-10 6:03 AM
Bubba
Posted 2010-04-10 6:29 AM (#57141 - in reply to #56321)

Cruiser

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I always liked the retro style of Indian MC. I really thought the Vision was one fugly bike until I saw the Ness Vision without the trunk. I have had the trunk on twice in a year. Once to take a trip with the GF and the other when I had the bike in the moving Van from Chicago to NC.
mgoblue
Posted 2010-04-10 7:00 AM (#57145 - in reply to #56321)

Cruiser

I just can't do the tassells, they belong on strippers not bikes..
varyder
Posted 2010-04-10 7:54 AM (#57149 - in reply to #57145)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

(tassles_sm.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments tassles_sm.jpg (29KB - 1 downloads)
chesshiretuna
Posted 2010-04-10 8:03 AM (#57150 - in reply to #56321)

Tourer

My last bike before my Vision was the Kawasaki Drifter. I loved the style and the fenders. I was visiting my parents at thier beach house one weekend when one of my dads neighbors came over.
He said he was a old harley rider from the 50's and saw my bike and came over to investgate. His Indian story was funny. He and his friends road quite a bit and one of them road an Indian. He(the friend) was to ride at the rear because the bike was always shedding parts.....He always carried a rope to tow it back because it was always breaking down...My dads neighbor always liked the looks of the Indian but the bikes had a reputation for breaking down among his crowd. The older riders are always interesting to talk with. I constantly get questions from them when I am out on the Vision. They love the looks and the storys are always good.
Tarpits99
Posted 2010-04-10 10:07 AM (#57151 - in reply to #56321)

Iron Butt

North Orange County CA
http://www.indian-uk.com/

Thought that you guys might like to see another modern Indian. Seems that the Indian name worldwide is owned by more than one company.

(picclassic_large.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments picclassic_large.jpg (68KB - 2 downloads)
varyder
Posted 2010-04-10 10:23 AM (#57152 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
true. The indian name have been mopeds and associated with Royal-Enfield. That's been part of the Indian name since 1953 to include Gilroy. The current Kings Mountain effort is to go back and recapture the pre-1953 heritage and bring it forward. Bad business decision are also a part of Indians heritage, they're hoping KM isn't one of them.
XRsteve
Posted 2010-04-10 10:41 AM (#57154 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
Time will tell and at $30,000 to $40,000 there is a small market of buyers.
varyder
Posted 2010-04-10 1:02 PM (#57166 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
open response to a private message. A) my skin is way thicker than I let on in the forum, it's all part of game. 2) I know what I like and other people don't influence me unless they say "I had one of those and this what I think." other than, flame, bash, josh, bag, bang, and opinionate right on. By the way, my Bentley is a cheerleader and tassles looks great especially when she twirls them ridin' high
varyder
Posted 2010-04-10 1:40 PM (#57170 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I forgot to say it's all in fun my friend...
Tarpits99
Posted 2010-04-12 11:42 AM (#57303 - in reply to #57145)

Iron Butt

North Orange County CA
mgoblue - 2010-04-10 5:00 AM

I just can't do the tassells, they belong on strippers not bikes..

I think some of you guys may be missing the point entirely. Style doesn't always evolve in a vacuum or without reason. Take the fringe.

Chris (varyder) is utilizing some very high tech thinking, albeit from the days of clovis points and bone needles, but high tech none the less.

The tassels and fringe actually serve as a moisture control system; just like those fancy modern "wicking" socks for hunters and gortex raingear.

They add surface area and remove excess heat and/or moisture from the leather, just like the cooling fins on an engine remove excess heat. They're even more effective on a leather garment (if you don't mind looking like one of the Village People) or on a saddle and saddle bags like that on the Indian to make the ride more comfortable and help keep your possessions dry.

In future perhaps we should refer fringed hand grips like Chris's as " air-conditioned hand grips". A perfectly reasonable accessory for people who ride in wet, hot and humid conditions (or suffer from sweaty palms).

varyder
Posted 2010-04-12 12:17 PM (#57306 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
tarpits99 take a bow dude, that is the best job of an insult I have ever seen in my life. Villiage People, sweaty palms, lOl... I feel honored to receive it with such grace....

I wish more did it your way....

A benefit of the handle bar tassles also is that I can set the cruise and then use them like reigns.

Edited by varyder 2010-04-12 12:28 PM
donetracey
Posted 2010-04-12 1:02 PM (#57313 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
Chris - you 'rule' your bike? Wow, man!

I thot for a minute you reined your mighty steed with a pull on the reins (those classy leather weather controls)

Tarpits99
Posted 2010-04-12 1:08 PM (#57314 - in reply to #56321)

Iron Butt

North Orange County CA
Funny, I really wasn't trying to be insulting, I was aiming for academic, in an "isn't this little bit of anthropology/history 'effing' cool?!!" kind of way.

I must be a real clueless dipshit to go around insulting people without trying, perhaps that explains why I have so few riding buddies. I always thought I was a loner by nature but perhaps I'm really just an a-hole.

Excuse me, I have to go and do some serious introspection.
varyder
Posted 2010-04-12 1:17 PM (#57316 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I get confused sometimes... but I know that is the reason I ride alone all the time also... see, I insulted you thinking you insulted me, in a fun way, and now its back around again. I guess I'll never have any friends if I keep this up... be careful with that introspection thing, you might hurt yourself... it's dark and scary in there sometimes...

Edited by varyder 2010-04-12 1:19 PM
donetracey
Posted 2010-04-12 2:07 PM (#57319 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
WOW!!!

I thought it was just ME ! Maybe we three (or more) should get together to see if we can kill each other - or be buddies !

I'm actually just what my father used to call me: "a shit disturber"

Or as I like to think - I have a warped sense of humour!!! And I love to tease....

varyder
Posted 2010-04-12 2:18 PM (#57323 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
we should meet in sturgis, I hear there are still plenty of places to hide bodies. Too bad I couldn't make it this year.

Edited by varyder 2010-04-12 2:20 PM
rwilly
Posted 2010-04-12 5:44 PM (#57338 - in reply to #56321)

Tourer

seattle, wa
Here's for you west coast people in need of the Indian.

http://www.indianmotorcyclela.com/about.htm
mgoblue
Posted 2010-04-15 7:46 AM (#57565 - in reply to #56321)

Cruiser

Indians are STILL UGLY...
Tarpits99
Posted 2010-04-15 2:15 PM (#57601 - in reply to #56321)

Iron Butt

North Orange County CA
I made the mistake of asking my wife if there was anything wrong with my last post. What I could possible have hoped to gain by involving her is beyond me at the moment; but the results are in. I am an idiot! Rest assured, the wife always knows, with 100% certainty, exactly what is wrong with me.

Having been thoroughly chastened I must now, in public apologize to anyone whom I may have offended; including the Village People, Fans of the Village People,and anyone suffering from sweaty palms, as an over-abundance of sweat glands is a genetic condition (Hyperhidrosis), and not a character flaw, as she says I implied.

She also noted (as a parting shot) that the only possible reason that I know about things such as fringe having a functional purpose is because I can be "such a Neanderthal", and must have had lots of first hand experience with stone-age thinking.

I guess that this evening I'm going to spend some more time in the garage, very slowly letting a little air out of the rear shock on the Vision and peering into those dark corners that Chris warned me about.

Having concluded that business, I'm all for a meeting of the "shit disturbers", what's the worst that can happen, we fail to communicate? Hell I'm used to that, LOL!
varyder
Posted 2010-04-15 2:23 PM (#57603 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Tarpits99, I am wiping tears from my eyes as I speak with the fringe of my jacket, *snif*. But actually, no apologies are necessary, first rule, and second rule, never include the wife into "guy talk" they just don't understand.

I have an unorthodox way of stirring the poo and feel no to need to 'splain. I stay in constent trouble with the wife over it, but we both agree, I don't know any better. With that said, I'm still hopin' to ride to the Mojave this summer, compliments of my work, and I hope we can somehow get to meet up somewhere in the land of fruits and nuts.
donetracey
Posted 2010-04-15 3:00 PM (#57605 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
Chris - STAY OUT OF THE MOJAVE !!! There is NO moisture there for your Air Wicks to soak up - your leather (which will be in your luggage) will dry up and EXPLODE ! The tassles will get rock hard and beat you to death.

Come NORTH with ME ! To ALASKA ! You too, Fred - get away from all those blonde tanned babes that your wife worries constantly about.

Come and meet some REAL Indians ... where horsepower means 'how many horses you own' - and only the brave mounts an Indian.

Tarpits99
Posted 2010-04-15 3:07 PM (#57606 - in reply to #56321)

Iron Butt

North Orange County CA
All I can say is SPF-1000!

I crossed the Chihuahuan, Sonoran and Mojave Deserts in summer (August 1976) on the way to the Pacific Coast Hwy from Nashville. I was a construction worker from the south, and thought I knew about heat and sun. I'm still peeling 36 years later. Look forward to riding w/ you.
varyder
Posted 2010-04-15 3:48 PM (#57609 - in reply to #56321)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Don and TP, I have learned I've got to learn things on my own. I saw that movie Desert Heat with Jean-Claude Van Damme and want to re-live Eddie Lomax's exploits, uh, wait... well at least the riding across the desert part, I'll leave it at that. He did have an Indian too....

Edited by varyder 2010-04-15 3:49 PM