Rear brakes broke!
bigwill5150
Posted 2010-08-08 3:27 AM (#66639)
Subject: Rear brakes broke!

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
I've had problems with my rear brake being "soft" since I bought her but it has gotten worse lately. The last couple times I have taken her after sitting for a month, I found the brakes are so soft that the rear brake peddle bottoms out. I have bled the brakes multiple times (front and back). There is evidently a problem with the linked brake system that causes the rear brakes to go soft when there is air in the front brake line. Here's how it happns.
1. I come home from work after a month away and find the rear brakes wont slow the bike.
2. I check the brake lines for signs of leakage and pump them repeatedly until the start to firm up.
3. I bleed the brakes under pressure and check the reservoir level (all good so far).
4. The brakes are good to go until I come back again from work and the rear brake fails again.
I can't find any leaks, cracks, etc. The reservoir seems to maintain it's level.
I suspect there is air in the system that I just haven't gotten out completely.
Anyone with any suggestions on how to positively eliminate any air in the system? Perhaps one of those vacuum pumps (I've never used one).
Thanks,
-Will
Top of the page Bottom of the page
etspastimes
Posted 2010-08-08 8:27 AM (#66657 - in reply to #66639)
Subject: Re: Rear brakes broke!

Tourer

Salisbury, NC
It takes two to bleed the brakes. The rear brake petal has to be pumped really hard before you loosen the middle bleeder valve on the front wheel. Do this a couple of times. Then once you have it bled good, you should not have any more problems out of it. ET

Edited by etspastimes 2010-08-08 8:28 AM
bigwill5150
Posted 2010-08-08 8:26 PM (#66695 - in reply to #66639)
Subject: Re: Rear brakes broke!

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
Ok thanks!
I'll grab a volunteer and get some help this time.