Cherry Bomb Exhaust
lennyb
Posted 2010-10-13 4:39 PM (#71589)
Subject: Cherry Bomb Exhaust

Iron Butt

Perry Hall, MD
Looking at Fargo's gallery I'm intrigued by the Cherry Bomb exhaust. It would be very interesting to hear what they sound like and the story behind them. I know that a lot of work goes into the design of an exhaust system and tuning it to the Vision and have to wonder if this is really as straight forward as it looks for those of us looking for an option?

For those who have not viewed it Fargo used the stock shields to cover it up. Looks like a pretty sweet idea!

Edited by lennyb 2010-10-13 4:45 PM

(Fargo-Cherry-Bomb-Exhaust-p.gif)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Fargo-Cherry-Bomb-Exhaust-p.gif (99KB - 52 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
johnnyvision
Posted 2010-10-13 5:04 PM (#71591 - in reply to #71589)
Subject: Re: Cherry Bomb Exhaust

Visionary

Say if you get a hold of Brian Klock at http://kustombaggers.com/
He at one time was using the cheery Bombs on harleys and even built a bike for them. He is down in florida for bike Oktoberfest
Good Luck
VisionTex
Posted 2010-10-13 5:17 PM (#71593 - in reply to #71589)
Subject: RE: Cherry Bomb Exhaust

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
That's pretty much what I'm going to do, next year. It has got to reduce the weight by at least 20-30 lbs. I was thinking about taking a set of stocks I have cutting them in half, put a short 2" or 2.25" core in it and weld the end cap back on and then staight pipe to the back. But I really want to put a fin on the tail piece. When Victory put the heat shield over what I call the John Deere muffer, that was a great idea. You can put a lot creativity under that heat shield. I congrats Fargo for doing a great job and sharing with us. For some of you it could be double Darkside, car tire and car mufflers...oh what is all of this going to come to.
Fargo
Posted 2010-10-13 9:42 PM (#71597 - in reply to #71589)

Puddle Jumper

Hey there, i must say the glass packs sound pretty good. I would say better then the s1l1. I had to get some sound out of this thing, I love the crack of a v-Twin. This cherry bombs are not loud at all but has a great crack when you want it, and won't piss off the neighbors when idling through the neighborhood in the morning. Cruising on the hiway is pretty quiet too. But when you give'r a little she really wakes up and roars. Best part is I only spent about $80 and got everything at Fleet Farm and put it together in a few hours. I did use the stock shields to cover it up and the stock end caps. I get very little popping, no more then other custom exhaust. Eventually I will probably get something else but for now I'm really happy with it. Hoping Vance and Hines makes a custom true dual exhaust for the vision.
nailer
Posted 2010-10-14 10:50 AM (#71622 - in reply to #71597)

Tourer

Albuquerque, NM
I was told by my dealer that a Vision with the S1L2 (baffles removed) run just fine. No much of a performance loss due to cone shaped baffles in the head pipes. The cherry bombs look like essentially a straight pipe with high frequency baffles. At around $40 each, much cheaper than
the Atom Bombs ($200 plus shipping to and back) or any other aftermarket exhaust for the Vision.

What cherry bomb PN# did you use? Are they an exact drop in replacment? (no extension(s) required)
Fargo
Posted 2010-10-14 11:55 AM (#71627 - in reply to #71589)

Puddle Jumper

Cherry Bomb Exhuast
2 1/4 inch in and out Cherry Bombs. Slips right on to the Stock Headers and stock clamps hold it on.
23 over all Inches
9" End Pipe or any pipe that was small enough on the end to connect to the stock End Caps.
IThe muffler Extentions work cause they have the 2 screws inside to tighten up against the STock end cap inlet.
There are other exhausts that are about the right length and won't need extention pipe, but I went with what was in stock.

Then on the End Caps I replaced the stock bolts with longer ones that would push against the Pipe so I had a total of 5 screws/bolts holding the end cap on with presure.

Besides that just simple muffler clamps (really had to clamp them down to crush and hold the pipe) and pipe connectors to make it all fit together and come to abput 33" in length like the stock pipe.

It's pretty solid at this point, but I used some Metel ribbon/Exhuast hanger to wrap around the pipe and bolt on through the stock hangers and rubber mounts.

Replaced the heat sheild wraps with standard hose clamps.

I did it all pretty fast using what the store had in stock. I'm sure with a little more planning you can come up with a better fit. But in the end, i have the pipes lined up right to the same point as stock and from the outside, looks stock. So I'm happy and saved a ton. I've got 1600 miles on them so far and all is good!
Fargo
Posted 2010-10-14 12:11 PM (#71628 - in reply to #71589)

Puddle Jumper

I've added some more pics of the build.
http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid...
bigwill5150
Posted 2010-10-14 12:29 PM (#71629 - in reply to #71622)

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
nailer - 2010-10-14 9:50 AM

I was told by my dealer that a Vision with the S1L2 (baffles removed) run just fine. No much of a performance loss due to cone shaped baffles in the head pipes. The cherry bombs look like essentially a straight pipe with high frequency baffles. At around $40 each, much cheaper than
the Atom Bombs ($200 plus shipping to and back) or any other aftermarket exhaust for the Vision.

What cherry bomb PN# did you use? Are they an exact drop in replacment? (no extension(s) required)

It depends on mods. You will lose a significant amount of torque (you will feel the difference) if you have added any other mods. So basically, it won't make too much difference on a S1L2 stock bike but don't expect any gain in torque if you upgrade the cams/fuel controller, etc later on. I was really disappointed in my bikes performance the day I had the cams installed because I had the baffles out. Kevin X told me to replace the baffles or at least replace part of the baffles to help restrict the flow. I replaced the baffles when I got back to the shop and found the torque I was missing. It really was like I had flipped a switch. I would venture a guess that the warmer cams didn't get more than 2 or 3 extra ft.lbs. of torque without baffles. I would like to know what the numbers actually are but I can warrant that they are somewhere clost to what the advertised gain is supposed to be now. I wish I had just a little deeper note; however, I'm going to take care of this in the future. Basically I'm going to eventually have a Lloydz valve job to go with warmer cams (which I think these loud pipes are trying to falsly mimic in the first place). In the end, it will all take care of itself...
nailer
Posted 2010-10-14 1:53 PM (#71637 - in reply to #71627)

Tourer

Albuquerque, NM
Thanks for the info Fargo. Did you notice a loss in torque after the cherry bomb install?
Fargo
Posted 2010-10-14 2:51 PM (#71638 - in reply to #71589)

Puddle Jumper

I haven't really noticed any difference in performance at all. I'm sure it could use a little tuning to make it perfect, but it's running pretty much the same as before.
Flatsix
Posted 2010-10-14 5:53 PM (#71648 - in reply to #71638)

Tourer

Fargo, ND

Hi Fargo,

I'm wondering if you live in Fargo? If so, do you have a way to shoot some video/sound of your new pipes? If not, and you are interested in doing that, please let me know and I would be glad to do it for you and we could post a 'youtube' clip for everyone to enjoy.

Let me know...Thanks!
johnnyvision
Posted 2010-10-14 7:04 PM (#71653 - in reply to #71589)

Visionary

Get a hold of cherry Bomb I do believe they will custom make them for you
Fargo
Posted 2010-10-14 9:47 PM (#71662 - in reply to #71589)

Puddle Jumper

Sure, I'm away from the bike for another week or so, but I will try to get a video up for you to hear it.
nailer
Posted 2010-11-14 6:09 PM (#73473 - in reply to #71662)

Tourer

Albuquerque, NM
hey fargo,

I installed a set of cherry bombs on my vision this weekend. The sound of these glass packs is just what i was looking for. A deeper, lower, slightly louder rumble over my S1L1's. I went with the 87515's which are 30 1/2". ($30 ea.) I plan on adding a 2 1/2" to 2" reducer to reach the 33" length of the old muffler. I need to fab up a mount for my fluted tips like the mounting bracket on the end of the S1L1's. I didn 't notice any loss of torque. I saw some type of baffle at the end of the right exhaust pipe after I removed the muffler. It is a very dense honeycomb type of material that is probably providing most of the backpressure. I did not see one on the left side pipe. I am very pleased with the sound and the low cost. I had to make a mounting bracket for the end of the pipe and add some 1/2" spacers on the chrome heat shields to bring them outward to make up the difference in the muffler diameters. Old pipes are 4"...cherry bombs are 3". Thanks for pioneering/sharing this mod!

Edited by nailer 2010-11-14 6:19 PM
lennyb
Posted 2010-11-14 6:50 PM (#73476 - in reply to #71589)

Iron Butt

Perry Hall, MD
Good to hear some additional info on the torque, thanks nailer. Would like to avoid having the exhaust actually going through my gatlin tips (get dirty too fast) and just use a down pipe off of the cherry bomb.
chappellj
Posted 2010-11-16 5:31 AM (#73585 - in reply to #71589)
Subject: RE: Cherry Bomb Exhaust

Cruiser

Jacksonville, Florida
I'm Joel in Jax,FL. Just bought a 2011 Vision Tour. Too quiet for my taste.

I found Thrush Mufflers, just like the cherry bombs, at Advance Auto for $19.99 ea. 2 1/4" inlet-outlet. Got a 31" overall. Stock clamps, short extension for end cap.

I took a ride with just the Thrush mounted on. Very low, louder than stock, but not harsh. No pops on decel. Great upgrade for $43.00 + some time. I will record the exhaust with a pro mic and video setup so you can hear an accurate sound byte.

You can google "Advance Auto Promo Code" and get a code for 20% off if you order online and pickup at the store.

Thanks for the idea Fargo.
chappellj
Posted 2010-11-16 6:18 AM (#73586 - in reply to #71589)

Cruiser

Jacksonville, Florida
BTW, the part number I used was Thrush no. 24205.

Edited by chappellj 2010-11-16 6:27 AM