You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Thrush mufflers inside stock cans
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

tonyj
Posted 2015-02-02 3:41 PM (#169661)
Subject: Thrush mufflers inside stock cans

Cruiser

Salina, KS
I read where the XC/XR guys are putting the Thrush muffler inside their stock cans. Just curious if that's possible on our Vision mufflers. I had Atom Bombs on my last bike and looking to do something different on this one and like how the Thrush sounds but want to retain the attachments of the stock mufflers.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
lennyb
Posted 2015-02-02 4:20 PM (#169662 - in reply to #169661)
Subject: Re: Thrush mufflers inside stock cans

Iron Butt

Perry Hall, MD
Many Visions are using glass pack style mufflers like Magnaflow and Cherry Bomb. There are a couple of previous threads here on the subject that you should be able to search for. I am using the Cherry Bombs and spent less than $100 for the conversion.
tonyj
Posted 2015-02-02 5:33 PM (#169665 - in reply to #169662)

Cruiser

Salina, KS
I saw them, but I don't want to hang the muffler with "plumbers tape", looking to see if they will fit inside the stock can.
johnnyvision
Posted 2015-02-02 5:44 PM (#169667 - in reply to #169661)

Visionary

here this guy does it cut and weld http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=110761
Lojak
Posted 2015-02-02 6:57 PM (#169670 - in reply to #169661)

Cruiser

New Brunswick , Canada
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1nQQPz3NHE

Thrush on Vision Mod.

Tony Caro
Posted 2015-03-06 9:19 AM (#170098 - in reply to #169661)

Puddle Jumper

San Lorenzo, --- Puerto Rico
I have Thrush Exhaust in my vision and it just bolted exactly as factory exhaust, no need to use any tape or hangers, just fabricaed the brackets and welded to the body of the exhaust. I also added Dynomax tips and sounds very nice not too loud but strong.
spunkler
Posted 2015-03-06 7:09 PM (#170101 - in reply to #169661)
Subject: RE: Thrush mufflers inside stock cans

Cruiser

Claremont,Mn
I put mine inside the existing cans. Cut both ends off, split the entire can lengthways (I did this to be able to fit the thrush pipe inside. Otherwise it got fairly snug) pulled out the existing baffles and some of the fiberglass from inside also. I utilized the stock cans for a few reasons, the mounting tabs for one but more importantly, I wanted to use the "stock" tips.

I went with the 25" thrush where most are using the 31". After splitting and gutting the cans I positioned the pipe to attach to the header, temporarily reattached the can to the mounts,(to figure proper spacing of the muffler inside the can) documented, then figured out the length of my new "tailpipe " to run between the 25" thrush and my stock tips.

The thrush has a 2.25" inlet and outlet. I took a pc of 2" exhaust pipe, opened the end up to fit over the thrush outlet, figured my length and angle, then opened up the center hole of the stock tips to now accept my 2" tailpipe. My reasoning for going from 2.25 to 2" was some additional back pressure. If I remember correctly, the tailpipe ended up being almost a foot long. The pipes look stock unless you know Vic's and realize that my tailpipe is a larger than stock diameter.

I'm running PCV, Lloyds top filter, high flow front filter,timing wheel, Lloyds cams installed and tuned by Rylan and Gabe at TVS, and my take on the Thrush Mod. Before the cams I was at 95hp to the rear wheel, after, 122hp and 120 torque to the rear wheel.
spunkler
Posted 2015-03-06 7:14 PM (#170102 - in reply to #169661)

Cruiser

Claremont,Mn
Both dyno tunes were done by TVS, 6 months apart. Also, I didn't complety weld the long seam shut. 1" stitch welds about every 3". Figured any moisture that got inside while ridding in rain would bake out just as quickly as it went in.
ljurgens
Posted 2015-03-28 10:43 AM (#171518 - in reply to #170101)

Tourer

West Salem, WI United States

I'm thinking of do the thrush mod, basic mod not inside the cans, but don't want the bike too much louder than stock, really looking for that deeper tone. I like the idea of keeping the stock tips too.

Spunkler, I see your over in Claremont, I'm just over the border near La Crosse and I've got family in Owatonna. Would love to stop by sometime and hear what the bikes sounds like with the thrush mufflers on it. Would give me an excuse to stop at Podeins and Cabela's ;-)

-Lance

Edited by ljurgens 2015-03-28 10:44 AM
Rowebote
Posted 2015-03-29 11:11 AM (#171521 - in reply to #171518)

Cruiser

Eagan, MN United States
ljurgens - 2015-03-28 10:43 AM

I'm thinking of do the thrush mod, basic mod not inside the cans, but don't want the bike too much louder than stock, really looking for that deeper tone. I like the idea of keeping the stock tips too.

Spunkler, I see your over in Claremont, I'm just over the border near La Crosse and I've got family in Owatonna. Would love to stop by sometime and hear what the bikes sounds like with the thrush mufflers on it. Would give me an excuse to stop at Podeins and Cabela's ;-)

-Lance

If you are interested in hearing the Adam Bombs I could swing down too. I go riding down that way a fair bit anyway. Plus like you said, Cabelas....
ljurgens
Posted 2015-03-30 9:07 AM (#171532 - in reply to #169661)

Tourer

West Salem, WI United States
Well maybe we just need to have a Vision lunch get together somewhere down that way ;-)
amessen
Posted 2015-03-30 9:28 AM (#171533 - in reply to #169661)

Cruiser

Belding Michigan
Ok I get the thrust mod and I like the sound but I am unsure of the tuning issue. I had the stock pipes and started to play with them. that said I seem to be running rich (soot in the pipes) not that my mileage is bad I getting 40ish depending on how I ride. I am concerned that reducing back pressure will make the bike run worse. Please share thoughts as I am not where I can get on a dyno any time soon. Archie
willtill
Posted 2015-03-30 9:36 AM (#171534 - in reply to #171533)

Visionary

Central Maryland
amessen - 2015-03-30 10:28 AM

Ok I get the thrust mod and I like the sound but I am unsure of the tuning issue. I had the stock pipes and started to play with them. that said I seem to be running rich (soot in the pipes) not that my mileage is bad I getting 40ish depending on how I ride. I am concerned that reducing back pressure will make the bike run worse. Please share thoughts as I am not where I can get on a dyno any time soon. Archie

If you haven't done anything to your intake; don't worry about your pipes. You have cats installed in the end of each one your your head pipes that provide the appropriate back pressure.
spunkler
Posted 2015-03-30 10:19 AM (#171536 - in reply to #171518)

Cruiser

Claremont,Mn
ljurgens - 2015-03-28 10:43 AM

-Lance

Lance,

Stop on by! I'm only home until the 8th of April then back out until Mid May! Actually going to get the scoot out today! First ride with the new cams!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™