You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Avon cobras with centramatics
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

kin52
Posted 2015-12-23 3:47 AM (#177019)
Subject: Avon cobras with centramatics

Cruiser

Louisville, KY
I love the way the avon cobras feel on my vision tour. Last year I had the bike in florida and alabama and the cobras cupped really badly both front and rear. I checked my pressures regularly and they were good. Will the centramatics I just installed help with the cupping? Does anyone have any experience one way or the other?
I had no cupping issues until the florida ride.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
lstayner
Posted 2015-12-23 7:50 AM (#177022 - in reply to #177019)
Subject: RE: Avon cobras with centramatics

Tourer

Prairie City, IA United States
I don't have any experience with the rear Avon tire but I did have a Venom on the front with Centramatics. It lasted 20K miles and had no cupping.

I am on my 4th set of Michelin Commander II tires with the Centramatics and have not experienced cupping on the front at all. The rear I have a little cupping but mostly attribute that to long flat runs on the interstate and not enough curves to wear down the sidewalls at a similar rate.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2015-12-23 8:37 AM (#177023 - in reply to #177019)
Subject: Re: Avon cobras with centramatics

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
thats weird i had Cobra's up front and they never cupped at all.. the only reason i dont have them now its i got a really good deal on another front tire.. but as soon as this front tire is worn, im going back to the Cobra front tire again... i loved how it handled tar snakes...
johnnyvision
Posted 2015-12-23 5:08 PM (#177024 - in reply to #177019)

Visionary

what does checking air mean. Do you have a good gauge and are you running 42psi like Avon sagest

(oxford_tire_gauge_pro_detail.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments oxford_tire_gauge_pro_detail.jpg (7KB - 1 downloads)
kin52
Posted 2015-12-24 8:57 AM (#177026 - in reply to #177024)

Cruiser

Louisville, KY
Yes I also have a good tire gauge and check my pressures cold every few days and always ran 42 in the front 40 in the rear. These tires cupped really bad both front and rear.
talexander
Posted 2016-02-02 1:48 PM (#178560 - in reply to #177019)

Puddle Jumper

Cedar Rapids, IA United States
Tires 101 from Avon - Read section 7 http://www.avonmoto.com/download/Tires101forConsumers.pdf

I have had Elite 3's & Avon Cobra's on both of my Visions for a total of 98,000 miles , They both cup with my style of riding. In my opinon the Cobra's are awsome but have a shorter lifespan then the Elite 3's. I like to use the Dyna Beads for balancing the tires.
Street Eagle
Posted 2016-02-03 3:19 PM (#178580 - in reply to #177019)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
I'm on my 2nd set of Cobras and no cupping issues. 1st set the mileage wasn't great....8K? Spoke to the Avon rep at the NYC IMS show back in 2014. I spoke to him about the mileage I was getting and he said I needed to up the pressures to 42 in front and 46 in back. Big difference in tire wear and my vision handles great.
ljurgens
Posted 2016-02-04 12:03 PM (#178595 - in reply to #177019)

Tourer

West Salem, WI United States
Anyone with the Centramatics balancers, did you replace the rotor bolts or lock-tite them? I have mine sitting on the bench and want to install them before the spring riding season!
BumbleDB
Posted 2016-02-04 8:47 PM (#178618 - in reply to #177019)

Cruiser

Cleaned threads ( tap & die ) and used lock-tite blue..... ~50K miles ago. Still using my original rear pulley bolts, and I remove the pulley every time I replace the tire. I've done many tires on this scoot. Always clean threads and apply new blue goo..... Don't forget to torque in sequence.
ljurgens
Posted 2016-02-05 8:49 AM (#178629 - in reply to #177019)

Tourer

West Salem, WI United States
Thanks Bumble, I have tap & die set but wonder if I have the right sizes. Do you know off hand what sizes they are?
BumbleDB
Posted 2016-02-05 10:11 PM (#178642 - in reply to #177019)

Cruiser

Don't remember the size, but it's a very common metric. If you have any kind of metric t&d set, you should have it. If you don't, then just clean the bolt threads with a wire wheel and add the new goo. As long as they're properly torqued, you'll be fine.
Also, make sure to file/grind any 'lips' off of the bolt holes on the c-matics to insure the rotor sits flat AND RECHECK YOUR FRONT ABS SENSOR GAP!!!!!!! Adding the plates will make the gap too tight. Do not try to buy sensor spacers from Pol, they are just thin washers and Pol wants ~$8.00 each for them. If I remember correctly, the gap is 1mm. The rear will be fine as the balance plate goes on the other side, but you might want to check it anyway just for good 'measure.'
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™