You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Muffler Mods
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

11znl
Posted 2016-03-15 11:12 PM (#179291)
Subject: Muffler Mods

Puddle Jumper

Edendale New Zealand
When I purchased my Vision it was stock except for the fitting of Gatlin tips. It needed something done so it could be heard. Preferring a low cost option that did not require the fitting of a PC V or similar to keep it running. I spent a lot of time on different Victory forums looking at exhaust mods, the Thrush type mod seemed a better option to me than new slip on mufflers. None of these have a sound to them that particularly appeals to me, let alone the cost of them plus PC V including shipping, taxes and so on to me here in NZ. I settled on doing a glass pack type mod until I started pricing them here. The cheapest was $140 each... I found louvered exhaust tubing could be obtained and this is what I did.
Took my mufflers to an exhaust shop that sold the louvered tubing in 600mm lengths. They cut both ends off the first muffler at 50mm from front and 25mm from rear, I knew there was a short inlet pipe at the front of the muffler. They then flared a length of tubing to be a nice fit inside the inlet pipe and to fit over the 32mm OD baffle tubing I was using. Next step was to cut a small length of pipe to slide over the baffle to be used as the tail piece going through the rear of the muffler body. Next muffler was cut at rear only and baffle plus end pieces was replicated. Paid the man 80 bucks and off to a welder friend I went. He used a hole saw to remove the original tail pipe from the muffler end then welded the baffles plus ends together, dropped them in the muffler bodies, zipped them up and finished off by welding the tail pipes to the muffler bodies. Extra costs were for replacement hose clamps to refit heat shields and a can of VHT paint. All up this cost me just over $120. I didn't wrap the baffles and faced the louvers to the front for maximum exhaust flow reduction. Not knowing how much this would reduce the back pressure and consequently upset the fuelling I went conservatively with the smaller diameter baffle. The result was what I had hoped for, you can hear it is a motorcycle now, also it revs out so much easier now. Gear changes are now always at 4k plus. No problems what so ever I have a pic of baffle that I used, now just to post it.

Rob

(Vision muffler mod 32mm louvered pipe.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Vision muffler mod 32mm louvered pipe.jpg (121KB - 8 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
CDN_RN
Posted 2016-03-16 8:26 AM (#179295 - in reply to #179291)
Subject: Re: Muffler Mods

Puddle Jumper

Nice job. Audio?
11znl
Posted 2016-03-16 4:21 PM (#179300 - in reply to #179291)

Puddle Jumper

Edendale New Zealand
I have not done an audio of this yet. From what has been posted I understand my baffle at 1 1/2" OD is similar to that used in a S1L1 muffler. Sound wise it is not the anaemic sewing machine it used to be. It is now a little louder while liberating the desired V twin sound, this is all I set out to do. If I do make a video it will be posted here.
Rob
rllewellyn32
Posted 2016-04-05 8:37 PM (#181799 - in reply to #179291)

Puddle Jumper

I also, am looking at making my vision sound like it should, I am going to try thr thrush glass packs.. My questions are many but I wanted to know if the O2 sensors and or Cat sys would / or need to also be removed or can they stay? Will my check eng light come on? And do I also need to redo the Air intake sys be changed too?
Richard
bbrist
Posted 2016-04-06 5:32 AM (#181853 - in reply to #179291)

Cruiser

If your running a Power commander you don't need to have the O2 sensors hooked up. I removed mine and installed plugs in the exhaust and have had no trouble light come on in over 4 yrs.
rdbudd
Posted 2016-04-06 11:17 AM (#181856 - in reply to #181799)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
rllewellyn32 - 2016-04-05 8:37 PM

I also, am looking at making my vision sound like it should, I am going to try thr thrush glass packs.. My questions are many but I wanted to know if the O2 sensors and or Cat sys would / or need to also be removed or can they stay? Will my check eng light come on? And do I also need to redo the Air intake sys be changed too?
Richard

Your check engine light will NOT come on.
Removing the catalytic system will cost you low end torque. Don't do it.
If all you are doing is changing the mufflers out for the Thrush glass packs, no worries. Just do it. All will be well.
If you add a top intake filter, you should also add a fuel controller. If you add a fuel controller, disconnect the O2 sensors.

Ronnie
11znl
Posted 2016-04-14 11:56 PM (#182165 - in reply to #179291)
Subject: RE: Muffler Mods

Puddle Jumper

Edendale New Zealand
Here is a short video of my bike running. They sound so much better in the flesh than they do here.
Rob
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™