You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Battery!!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

norcan
Posted 2013-04-08 6:26 PM (#134441)
Subject: Battery!!!!

Cruiser

Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Just pulled my bike out of storage today, April 08, 2013. I purchased out of create June. 2008. Stock battery. I will attach a video as soon as it down loads and I figure out how to post it. Parked every year from Oct till late March or early April. As I have posted before, I do not own a battery tender nor do I personally believe in them! I will put fuel conditioner in on a full tank, then go for a 20 minute ride to mix it up and have it through the system.
I park it in my neighbors attached garage, unheated. I do not disconnect, or remove the battery.( proof that the computer does not requrie much power!) When I know my neighbor is returning I open the garage, insert the key, turn switch, and push start button. I have never put a battery charger to the original battery. Here what happened today.

Turned key on, checked volt meter, read below 10 volts.
Hit start button
Cranked over slower than mid season cold start ups.

5 years of storing the exact same way, except one year I stored it in my enclosed trailer, which would have been much colder. Up north here we get stretches of -30 f for weeks on end.

I have never ran the battery down listening to tunes, or leaving lights on.

Maybe I have been lucky, however I do not abuse my battery by draining it.

Just sayin!!!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
norcan
Posted 2013-04-08 6:32 PM (#134442 - in reply to #134441)
Subject: Re: Battery!!!!

Cruiser

Edmonton Alberta, Canada
<p>Ok attempt one!! <br /></p><p> </p>
opas ride
Posted 2013-04-08 7:07 PM (#134444 - in reply to #134441)

Tourer

Sorry to hear of your battery issues, but not surprised....In cold areas like yours and mine in Michigan, a battery tender is almost a must have...When I had liquid cooled Honda's, 4 and 6 cylinder models, I never seemed to need the tender as I would occasionaly start the bike in Winter and let it run a while. I was told this practice is not so good to do on big V-twins,maybe so, maybe not, but I bought a small Deltran Battery Tender Jr. about 5 years ago and have had no battery problems as yet..Bike sat in my un-heated garage,covered with the Tender on for over 4 months this last winter and started last week on the first pop!!
norcan
Posted 2013-04-08 7:41 PM (#134447 - in reply to #134441)

Cruiser

Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Hey Oppa, I have no plan on replacing the battery! It operates the same today as it has since day one. I am only posting this to show what is normal operation of batteries. Tenders only get you 20 miles from home before leaving you on the side of the road, where as with out if your battery is good, you ride. if it is not you replace it in your own drive way!!!
donetracey
Posted 2013-04-08 8:20 PM (#134448 - in reply to #134441)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
53 YEARS of ownership. Best thing I EVER got for any of my 21 bikes - A BATTERY TENDER. I have had a zillion problems with batteries, including my wife beating me for bringing the bike up the elevator into our apartment to keep it warm. In Vancouver, I have always used the bike all winter. Always had a charger - but never a 'tender'. But I got one finally for the Vision. I never walk away from the bike without plugging it in and turning it on. First time EVER I got 5 years out of one battery for any of my bikes. So I will swear by it - unless someone has developed a miracle battery.
This spring I will put a new battery in - even if I haven't had ANY problem. WHY? Because I don't WANT a problem. It's called "preventative maintenance".
SYNSTR
Posted 2013-04-08 9:35 PM (#134454 - in reply to #134441)

Iron Butt

Mt. Vernon, WASH.
Fixed my no crank issue from a few days ago, turns out while it said it was in 'N', it wasn't 100% out of 1st. A bit of fiddling with the shifter (back to my issues with a wonky shifter assembly) and 1 1/2 rotations and it lit off.
Now, if our continuation of this past Winters tropical rain storms would abate (walking on my lawn is like walking on a 3/4 full water bed)................I'd like to take a ride over to have a look @ my sons new house, but at least the moss is nice and green!
victoryvisiontour
Posted 2013-04-09 8:56 AM (#134465 - in reply to #134441)

Iron Butt

Anderson, IN (48mi NE of downtown Indianapolis)
I must have gotten a battery that was not built on a Friday or Monday. It's the original from when I bought the bike in July '08. It's never seen a charger or tender. I run it down frequently with the radio to point it barely starts the motor. It still performs the same today as day 1. I expect it to start showing its age this summer/fall. But, I got 5 trouble free years out of it and never babied it.
XRsteve
Posted 2013-04-09 1:07 PM (#134474 - in reply to #134441)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
I replace mine every 4 years with or without a battery tender, just being safe............
norcan
Posted 2013-04-09 6:55 PM (#134486 - in reply to #134441)

Cruiser

Edmonton Alberta, Canada
I never did pay attention to volt meter when doing my spring start up. This I did however and it was bellow 10 volts, maybe even nine. It rolled over just like any of the 5 springs. Our bikes will start with bellow 10 volts. I will replace my battery when it gives me the first signal of trouble. Or i find a really good deal on one. But to sit five years in a cold garage, with a small drain on a battery, yet still have enough power to start our 106" engine, 5 consectutive years! I will be replacing mine when it is needed with the same battery. This my rednecked Albertan battery load tester!!!!
johnnyvision
Posted 2013-04-09 6:56 PM (#134487 - in reply to #134441)

Visionary

Most if not all battery companys will tell you when storing battery put full charge in it and store in dry cool place. They even say you will have 90% of charge in the battery come spring.
As for you norcan putting the battery on a tender or any body that stores there bike in a non heated garage the tender keeps the battery from freezeing.
Batterys are like a hour glass there is only so much sand in them and when there done there done no matter what you do.
So a tender keeps battery from freezeing is all.
Highwayman
Posted 2013-04-10 7:11 AM (#134514 - in reply to #134441)
Subject: RE: Battery!!!!

Cruiser

Iowa
Had mine tested in my 09 last week, and had to replace it. Getting ready for a 5 day trip and don't want any trouble on the road. I did get 6 years out of the battery on my 03 Classic Cruiser.
donetracey
Posted 2016-02-07 12:22 AM (#178658 - in reply to #134441)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
I bought the SPCSHP shortly before my wedding, 8 years ago. So, it's BATTERY is now 8 years old. Today - after 6 weeks of rain/winter/crud I took the cover off the second love of my life - put the key in - AND IT STARTED RIGHT UP !!! I have NEVER got more than 3 or 4 years out of ANY of my previous 23 bikes! Fricken AMAZING!!! I think the difference has been the use of a BATTERY TENDER. It sits in the trunk and I plug it in before putting the cover on the bike. But I have NEVER had to look at the battery in 8 years. I am impressed .... My previous post here in 2013 said I was going to get a new battery - kinda glad I didn't. As an experiment - I am going to keep doing what I have been doing - using a tender - and see how long it lasts! Why the HELL not ???

pollolittle
Posted 2016-02-08 9:45 AM (#178683 - in reply to #134441)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
fyi - Olecrazydonwiththehottieyoungerhoney - you can bump start that big beast if you got a bit of roll, and considering where you live that should be easy. Just saying.
ByteN2it
Posted 2016-02-08 12:21 PM (#178684 - in reply to #134441)

Tourer

Beer Collins, Colorado (there is no fort)
If your battery's dead you won't be bump starting these bikes-fuel injection system needs 12.6V to work. The issue with your "experiment " is the bike will start up when you take it off the tender & then leave you stranded when you go to start it at some point. I was in the same boat & decided to replace my battery before it let me down on tour. While I can certainly bennefit from a good walk I like to have some degree of confidence of what's going to happen when I hit the start button. You've had a great run, buy your baby a new battery.
pollolittle
Posted 2016-02-08 5:13 PM (#178686 - in reply to #134441)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Do what you like, I've got experience bump starting a dead battery on this vision. My presumption might be that a couple of revolutions of the rotor might be all you need. Just saying I've done it, that's all. Had to push it to get it going on a very light downhill, then i had to push it back up that said hill when it didn't work the first time. Worked the second time. Your not the first to tell me it can't be done.
johnnyvision
Posted 2016-02-08 5:44 PM (#178687 - in reply to #178683)

Visionary

pollolittle - 2016-02-08 9:45 AM fyi - Olecrazydonwiththehottieyoungerhoney - you can bump start that big beast if you got a bit of roll, and considering where you live that should be easy. Just saying.

how do you bump start a bike that has a clutch safty switch 

donetracey
Posted 2016-02-08 6:25 PM (#178689 - in reply to #134441)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
Great ride in the West Coast sunshine this afternoon. Snowcapped Mountains, spring flowers sprouting everywhere. Burnt a tank of gas in a few hours - not a peep of a problem with the bike. YEE-HAW to the SPCSHP !!!
Bluto
Posted 2016-02-09 11:42 AM (#178699 - in reply to #178687)

Cruiser

McHenry, IL
johnnyvision - 2016-02-08 5:44 PM

pollolittle - 2016-02-08 9:45 AM fyi - Olecrazydonwiththehottieyoungerhoney - you can bump start that big beast if you got a bit of roll, and considering where you live that should be easy. Just saying.

?

how do you bump start a bike that has a clutch safty switch?

The clutch interlock does not allow the starter to turn but the ignition system is still powered so it will start. I have never bump started the Vision from rest but it has died on me when I pulled the clutch in and she was still cold while rolling. Simply letting the clutch gently back out she started right up again.
ltrmc02
Posted 2016-03-12 2:09 AM (#179205 - in reply to #134441)

Puddle Jumper

NC
Does anyone know what brand battery came in these Visions? I'm thinking Yuasa probably but whatever came in my 2008 I'd like to have another because I've never seen a motorcycle battery go even close to the 8 years mine has now gone. I'm in NC and ride mine year around but occasionally it will sit for 6 weeks or so with no battery tender on it. It's finally gotten a little weak to start here lately but hasn't yet failed to start.

From the sound of it Victory must have used a really good battery and have a really good electrical system that charges properly and with low current draw while sitting for the results we're getting out of battery life with these bikes. I've had a dozen or so other bikes and more than a dozen ATVs and never experienced much more than 4 years of battery life from a motorsports battery.

I'm about to order my Vision a new one right now and think I'll take the original battery and put on a lawn mower that's needing one as well just to see how long the battery will continue on turning over an old 16HP Kohler engine.
11znl
Posted 2016-03-12 3:03 AM (#179206 - in reply to #179205)

Puddle Jumper

Edendale New Zealand
You are correct it is a Yuasa that is OE battery for our Visions, mine was date stamped 3/08 this lasted 7 years before I replaced it on purchasing the bike.
Rob
ltrmc02
Posted 2016-03-12 3:53 AM (#179207 - in reply to #134441)

Puddle Jumper

NC
Thanks. Yuasa is what I'll put back in it then because I certainly can't complain with 8 years service life out of a motorcycle battery.
hgrail
Posted 2016-04-29 10:48 AM (#182747 - in reply to #134441)

Puddle Jumper

I still have my original battery in my 2009 Vision and it's going strong. I was going to replace it last year just becuase it seemed like 6 years on a battery was a gift - but after load testing it at Autozone the dude said put it back in and ride.

I keep it on the tender here in the Northeast over the winter - but never over the summer. When I went to start it last month it charge was low - only around 12 volts - but the puppy started up fine - and after riding a while the charge was back up again.

Should I replace it this year? Maybe. I dunno.

This is quite a contrast to my 2000 V92C that would eat a battery every other year no matter how well I cared for it - or what kind of battery it was. The Vision is one great bike!
cw1115
Posted 2016-05-01 7:17 PM (#182772 - in reply to #134441)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
I have been plagued with battery problems on my 2013. Just installed battery number 4. My terminals won't stay tight. I have tried everything. Padded the battery, every type of lock washer, ever red Loctite. I tighten ever 100 miles and ruin eventually damage the terminal. Last battery shorted internally after 4 months. Had two 2008s, no problem. I'm getting sick of it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™