You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Vision Chrome
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

donetracey
Posted 2010-02-21 1:31 AM (#53638)
Subject: Vision Chrome

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada

Took a break from the 2010 Olympics today - and being a nice sunny day, decided it was time to clean off some winter crud from the SPCSHP.

The chrome was looking 'pitted' and I got some good Mcguires Chrome cleaner and went to work. UNHAPPY is I.

The front chrome tip-overs are pitted beyond polish and need re-chroming. Most of the rest of the bike came up shining - but I can see where future problems may be in the works. We don't do a lot of salt on the roads here - especially this winter (damn near nicer than Florida - and it was at one point). So I am disappointed with VV Chrome - I have had bikes 15 years old with better.

Anyone else P.Oed with theirs? Suggestions for keeping corrosion at bay? Thanks..... I'm back to Olympics - Medal Ceremony tonight...

Top of the page Bottom of the page
varyder
Posted 2010-02-21 3:00 AM (#53640 - in reply to #53638)
Subject: Re: Vision Chrome

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
yes Don, the top Vision abuser has pits. My front TOP started to pit almost right away, not that bad, but when clean and you look close you'll see the pit and discolorization around the pit. I'll try to take some pics later. The trunk luggage rack is hopeless with a lot of pitting and corrosion around the edges. The rest of the chrome, handlebars, pipes, engine covers all seem to be holding up good though and shine up very well.
RedRider
Posted 2010-02-21 4:43 AM (#53642 - in reply to #53638)

Visionary

This won't make you feel any better. Over the years Victory has had problems with their chroming vendors. The dealer I bought my '99 from had a primary cover with a blister in the chrome the size of a quarter. Through the years many pieces have had poor chrome.
It's not only Victory. I threw away a pair of Kurykyn mirrors because they got so pitted. The Arlen Ness axle covers on my '99 are pitted and peeling on the bottom edge.
My theory is the vendors bid and then they get all this work and either short change the quality or try to cut corners to make money. At least that's what happens with our vendors at work.
glighto11
Posted 2010-02-21 9:45 AM (#53653 - in reply to #53638)

Iron Butt

Central New York
Ya,But! Is anyone have good luck with any kind of polish/protectorant (Not thinking that's a word, but you get the meaning). I personally have never had a bike till now that I cared much about the chrome, so I'm out of touch. I remember "back in the day" of chrome bumpers on cars, I used to run a oily rag over my bumpers after a wash. They picked up dust quickly, but never pitted. I always felt chrome "polishes" left the chrome naked and unprotected, and waxes didn't adhere.

So..... What's out there now?
VaParadox
Posted 2010-02-21 4:21 PM (#53676 - in reply to #53638)

Iron Butt

Richmond, Virginia
Guess its my turn to be the bad guy here. Speaking as one of the few people who chrome products (none of ours so far have pitted, but thats beyond the point). The original poster needs what i think is a bit of a slap on the back of the head. Everyone please
refer to the first sentence in his posting.............. anyone see the issue here? Apparently the poster leaves the bike stored with "crud" on it instead of cleaning the bike ESP BEFORE EXTENDED Storage. CRUD my good man CAUSES PITTING !!!!
A 3 minute wash off after a day of enjoyment will keep finishes such as chrome from delaminating or pitting depending on the material used. My bike has everything possible to chrome, chromed. There is zero pitting or delamination on my bike. There is however
a huge amount of WAX AND POLISH. nough said,,, you guys get the point.

(2-10 skins pics 003 [640x480] [320x200].JPG)

(2-10 skins pics 004 [640x480] [50%].JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2-10 skins pics 003 [640x480] [320x200].JPG (48KB - 11 downloads)
Attachments 2-10 skins pics 004 [640x480] [50%].JPG (56KB - 5 downloads)
donetracey
Posted 2010-02-21 5:19 PM (#53682 - in reply to #53638)
Subject: RE: Vision Chrome

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada

At my age, I'd rather ride than clean. Yesterday's polishing was like a damn workout for me - who needs a gym?

Seriously, I keep it clean and covered in a carport - but it doesn't get washed often in the colder weather. I don't ride in the rain (if I can help it). My 'crud' is just dust, pollen, air-borne stuff - maybe road stuff from riding which may be why the front tip-overs suffered the most. I try to be good, Mr. Richardson....and I had googles of people taking pictures of the spotless SPCSHP today on an outing to see a Russian Tall Ship here for the Olympics.

(Russian Tall Ship 2Xsm.jpg)

(Russian Tall Ship 1Xsm.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Russian Tall Ship 2Xsm.jpg (44KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Russian Tall Ship 1Xsm.jpg (51KB - 0 downloads)
VaParadox
Posted 2010-02-23 10:12 PM (#53853 - in reply to #53638)

Iron Butt

Richmond, Virginia
Chrome pitting is only caused by 3 factors
1. excessive stable moisture
2. chemical related delamination
3. abrasive cleaning
This means if anyone has pitting of chrome you either have poor bonding agents in your chroming product (ie whoever chromed it used either cheap chemicals or cheap application), or your bike stays in an area where moisture whether it be from washing and non thorough drying, or high humidity causes moisture to remain on chromed pieces for extended periods of time, or foreign chemicals reacting to the chroming agents ie, road salt, cleaning fluids, etc etc. It takes me 7 minutes to wash my bike and about the same amount of time to dry it. The best method for drying a motorcycle IMHO is to purchase one of the vortex motorcycle blow dryers. They are well worth the money and ensure that you have removed water beads from all surfaces especially the ones that your finger and a rag cannot reach. Does my bike look awesome because of it ? yes. Do i spend more time washing and drying then I do riding ? NO.

Edited by VaParadox 2010-02-23 10:13 PM
CycleOps USA
Posted 2010-02-23 10:32 PM (#53855 - in reply to #53653)

Tourer

N. Miami, Florida

glighto11 - 2010-02-21 10:45 AM Ya,But! Is anyone have good luck with any kind of polish/protectorant (Not thinking that's a word, but you get the meaning). I personally have never had a bike till now that I cared much about the chrome, so I'm out of touch. I remember "back in the day" of chrome bumpers on cars, I used to run a oily rag over my bumpers after a wash. They picked up dust quickly, but never pitted. I always felt chrome "polishes" left the chrome naked and unprotected, and waxes didn't adhere. So..... What's out there now?

I carry a polish, as well as a sealer, that will not only remove most crap and even if there are pits (polish doesn't get pitting out) it cleans the metal so well that you don't notice them nearly as much. This is because you see more the corrosion on, in, and around the pit more than you see the pit itself. Use our Master Formula Polish to get it looking great and as good as it can given your particular bike's condition, and then apply our Master Formula Sealer which provides great moisture protection and a surface so slick even dried on June bugs wipe off with a damp cloth if applied often. The sealer also rocks as a paint and powder coat wax. Try some, it'll blow your mind how simple and easy this stuff makes keeping your bike clean... that is, unless you enjoy having excuses! CLICK HERE to jump to my site and check it out all the way at the bottom of the page. Contact me for the 10% discount code if you decide your tired of busting your ass polishing!

donetracey
Posted 2010-02-24 1:04 AM (#53859 - in reply to #53638)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada

VaParadox - "or your bike stays in an area where moisture whether it be from washing and non thorough drying, or high humidity causes moisture to remain on chromed pieces for extended periods of time"

Yah, well - I live in the Pacific Northwest. Although protected from direct moisture - there is nothing (save indoor de-humidified storage) to protect our vehicles from 100% humidity.

I am interested in the comments on 'protective' products, since that seems to be what my VV needs. I will start using them as soon as my back gets over the pain from the last cleaning..... thanks to all for responding to my plea!

varyder
Posted 2010-02-24 4:27 AM (#53862 - in reply to #53638)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I wish I could agree with VaP, but only partially. I hear folks on this forum complain endlessly over all the flaws they find in their Vision finish on paint and chrome. They also bragg how meticuliously they keep their bikes clean and they find pitting, scratching, etc in their stuff. I on the other hand don't give a hoot about all of that, keep the bike outside and occassionally try to keep it covered. I rarely, in the scheme of things, wash and polish my bike, and it is no worse for the wear. The pitting on the front tip overs that occur partically off the show room floor, if not while on it has not worsen in the two years I've had it. I shined the bike up the other day and it looks like the day I drove away with it.

My reason for not spending the 3 minutes that everyone claims it takes to clean their bikes is I have no lighted garage. Rarely, even in the summertime, am I home in the daylight. Even on the weekends I'm on the move so that aspect gets neglected even more than I like. I do give my bike, always, a once over look to make sure nothing looks out of place and I ride many miles with the radio off just listening for anything out of the norm.

I guess one more note from me is that I don't have a show bike, I have a rode bike. As much as I love riding, and as much as the Vision is most suited for me and the way I roll, it is still a machine and the way I get around daily. My own track record of racking up well over 100,000 miles on my machines, and the currently stability of my Vision says I'm taking care of the essentials.
crash-bar
Posted 2010-02-24 8:27 AM (#53872 - in reply to #53638)

Cruiser

O M G !!!! YOU WASH YOUR OWN BIKE DAMMMMM

(dammm.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments dammm.jpg (64KB - 1 downloads)
pollolittle
Posted 2010-02-24 8:33 AM (#53875 - in reply to #53638)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
lucky SOB. I have yet to have that luxury, three of them. I need a change. But first let me say "I'll be (*(^&^&^(*())*()*, @#%$!#$@$%^$%^@#$%#$@^@$&, #$%@%^$^&%^$%^#%@#%@#^$, !@#$@$%^#%^&%^&%^^@#$%@^@&%^&%^&#$%!^#%^*^*(^*%^@^@$&#%*^*,
(&*(&**%^&#$%^!@#$%!@##%$^&*(%&*(&^&#$^@@#$#&%*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very Nice.
nailer
Posted 2010-02-24 8:57 AM (#53878 - in reply to #53875)

Tourer

Albuquerque, NM
Your photography skills need some work. A good photographer would have caputured all three girls in full view. Just kidding...nice bike/beautiful girls....lucky bum!
crash-bar
Posted 2010-02-24 11:57 AM (#53887 - in reply to #53638)

Cruiser

Soooo sorry Nailer your right but in all fareness they were working, here is a better one just for you. As a side note Trish was hard core Harly chick but now she's Co Pilot Trish of the Vision corps you gatta love it. LOL

(dammmm.jpg)

(thats the shit.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments dammmm.jpg (57KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments thats the shit.jpg (59KB - 2 downloads)
VisionNWRider
Posted 2010-02-24 12:12 PM (#53889 - in reply to #53638)

Iron Butt

Tri Cities, WA
damn nice car wash. Wish we had that here. I would never wash my own bike again LOLOLOL.
nailer
Posted 2010-02-24 1:45 PM (#53895 - in reply to #53889)

Tourer

Albuquerque, NM
Holding out on us eh...crash-bar? That's more like it. You just "gradiated" to expert photographer in my book! We're going to expect the good pics first post in the future.

Edited by nailer 2010-02-24 1:57 PM
donetracey
Posted 2010-02-24 1:56 PM (#53898 - in reply to #53638)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
WAIT ! WAIT ! WAIT !

Can they also CHANGE OIL - And what kind would they use?

Might solve ALL my problems....
VaParadox
Posted 2010-02-24 2:07 PM (#53902 - in reply to #53638)

Iron Butt

Richmond, Virginia
gives new meaning to "spit n polished" VaRyder its perfectly fine that you dont 100% agree with me,,, i wouldnt expect you to, thats cool. and we all know you ride more then any other biker on the planet, you mention it in every posting. you ride in the rain, you ride in the sleet, you ride in the mud, you ride in the snow, you ride in wind, you ride in sun, you ride in day light , you ride at night, you ride in fog etc etc WE GET IT...... you're just more man then all the rest of us I guess.
varyder
Posted 2010-02-24 3:11 PM (#53903 - in reply to #53638)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
the point is when I first started riding most if not all "bikers" I knew made it a sin to take a bike out in bad weather or ride it alot. I just found it is more fun to ride and it's okay to do it adverse weather and to share in cause some one else believed as I did and wanted know. I guess I'll move along from the stuffed shirts so as not offend anyone. Adios
pollolittle
Posted 2010-02-24 3:27 PM (#53905 - in reply to #53638)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Songfan I feel a poster coming on from the above photos.
donetracey
Posted 2010-02-24 3:31 PM (#53906 - in reply to #53638)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
Don't you pull out on us Chris. You just keep sharing your moments with us.
SOME people just don't have a sense of humor. EVERYTHING is taken seriously and they get their backs up when they don't get the humor, or the thought that was put into the comment.
Do what I do - just pick out what good ideas they might have put into their dry humorless comment - and ignore the rest. And especially ignore the 'personal' attacks. Which this was. And uncalled for.
pollolittle
Posted 2010-02-25 2:01 PM (#53953 - in reply to #53638)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
VaParadox, you are right, Chris is way more man, than even I, the mighty "Pollolittle"! I bet he even rides with the moon out, the crickets chirping, (not that he can hear them), rides when some of us are in our mighty pickemup trucks or our Lexus's, I'll even bet he rides right past the ladies above washing bikes (just cause he don't want to quit riding). I wish I had that kind of dedication, cause I'd a pulled in, had a drink, sat down and watched them go a washing! I'll betcha half this forum would have given money to them.

Anyway, enough props to the buttburnninglongdistanceryder!

Don, I have found the "AWESOME METAL POLISH" by Victory to be a very good product. Removes a lot of surface rust, and shines it back up. I don't recommend it, if I ain't tried it. I used it to polish up a 2003 Suzuki Savage that had been sitting outside, under leanto, under a tarp. A lot of surface rust dots. Came right off.
SongFan
Posted 2010-02-25 4:31 PM (#53956 - in reply to #53638)

Visionary

Memphis

Photobucket

Photobucket

pollolittle
Posted 2010-02-26 8:10 AM (#53977 - in reply to #53638)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Perfect, Thanks Songfan, I knew you could capture the heart of it. Anybody else notice the hottie falling out of her top?
crash-bar
Posted 2010-02-27 10:42 PM (#54055 - in reply to #53638)

Cruiser

First let me say that I fill honored that song fan was able to use one of my pics for a motivation pic ha ha I?m famous now ok may its Trish that?s famous ha ha and far as the oil change not sure what type it was but it smelled like coconuts I?ll make sure I ask her next time I see her which will be in two weeks. What can I say I like having a clean bike.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™