You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

A Harley Compromise?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

varyder
Posted 2010-02-20 2:14 PM (#53614)
Subject: A Harley Compromise?

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
http://www.newsobserver.com/business/local_state/story/346678.html?...

Article about Ray Price Harley in Raliegh is taking on Triumph bikes as well. It all also mentions the Harley dealer on every corner has backfired, we whine and complain that we don't have on at our backdoor.

I appreciate my dealer, but for the most part the bike has been trouble free and I do most of my own work taking away the need for having a dealer so close. Don't get me wrong, (I got to read what I type) I think that their seems to be a far balance for Victory at this point. Victory does however need to work closer with their certified dealers, or preceive that they do. But the real bottom line on that is though, they have to sell more bikes, and more bikes, and more bikes. If I'm the only rider in town, should I expect a dealer to be right next door. There again I'm thankful there has been enough Victory sales in this region to justify 4 dealers that are within a few hours drive, one of which is just 10 minutes away.

I guess I'm just thankful I have a bike that doesn't need a lot work done to it at home or on the road.

Oh, and as far as mixing brands, the few Victory "dealers" that have gone under that I know about were selling cheaper Truimph's and Japanese bikes already....
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Trekwolf164
Posted 2010-02-20 4:51 PM (#53618 - in reply to #53614)
Subject: RE: A Harley Compromise?

Iron Butt

New York State
My Dealer www.locomotionpowersports.com Sells both Victory's and Triumphs It was the Triumphs that brought me in the door. I think it is a good idea for the dealers to have more than one brand.
Victory has no entry level motorcycles. Not every one is looking for 1000 plus CC's for their first Motorcycle.

I purchased a 07 Triumph America in 08 got a great price met some great people in the Dealership

The America at 863CC was a great bike for me to re-learn how to ride on because I had not been on a bike since my plane crash in 86.

Over time I got see and sit on a few Victory's in the Showroom as my confidence in riding built up my desire for a larger machine set in.

Now I have both the Triumph and the Vision in my garage and I could not be happier.

GravelFinder
Posted 2010-02-20 8:38 PM (#53628 - in reply to #53614)
Subject: RE: A Harley Compromise?

Puddle Jumper

Bellevue, NE
Interesting to say the least. Can't say that I have ever seen a H-D dealer selling anything else. Could it be the wave of the future?

If H-D can't turn a profit how are these dealers holding million dollar mortgages and plenty in floorplan still holding on? Triumph is probably a good fit for a Harley dealer, much better than foreign bikes.

IMO, the problem with multi-line Vic dealers is they usually carry the foreign brands and the Vics just can't compete on price. I thought my local dealer had a good fit with KTM and Arctic Cat atv's alongside Vic. Now they are exclusivly Victory; two other non-motorcycle shops carry the Polaris brands, so that is not an option for them.

I think the ideal companion to Vics would be Indian, Big Dog or any other high dollar brand. It would bring in folks expecting to pay a substantial amount instead of having customers suffer Vic sticker shock compared to a foreign make. Of course we know that the Vics are worth the extra $$$.
savage
Posted 2010-02-20 9:10 PM (#53629 - in reply to #53614)
Subject: Re: A Harley Compromise?

Cruiser

My local H-D dealer also sells Suzuki, Yamaha, and Star motorcycles and interestingly Polaris ATV's.

My local Victory dealer, "Crusin' 66" in Springfield, MO (where I bought my Vision) is also a Big Dog dealer. They are 100 mi. from here but I only do business with them, even though there are three other Victory dealers closer to me. Why? Because the have treated my wife and I like family since the first day we walked through their door. I can't say that about the others.
GravelFinder
Posted 2010-02-20 11:30 PM (#53636 - in reply to #53629)

Puddle Jumper

Bellevue, NE
savage - 2010-02-20 9:10 PM

My local H-D dealer also sells Suzuki, Yamaha, and Star motorcycles and interestingly Polaris ATV's.

My local Victory dealer, "Crusin' 66" in Springfield, MO (where I bought my Vision) is also a Big Dog dealer. They are 100 mi. from here but I only do business with them, even though there are three other Victory dealers closer to me. Why? Because the have treated my wife and I like family since the first day we walked through their door. I can't say that about the others.

And is this from the same showroom? Because now that you mention it, one of the local H-D dealers bought the local Yammi, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasski dealer and then built what appears to be a matching building next door to their Harley boutique. But they are not on the same show floor.

Big Vic
Posted 2010-02-21 7:43 AM (#53650 - in reply to #53614)

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
I've seen many an HD dealer sell multiple brands. One in Quincy Ill. sells HD, Honda, and Polaris. One in Chariton IA sells HD, Suzuki, Kaw, Polaris, a few China brands and this new 3 wheeled beast with a Ford engine. Having more than 1 brand is a huge advantage for the dealer. This will allow him to sell to customers that a 1 trick pony can't touch. If you only sell HD bikes and you only take HD bikes in trade you limit the number of people that are going to shop with you. Multiple brands and types of vehicles allow the dealer to trade up, down and sideways with customers.
savage
Posted 2010-02-21 10:30 AM (#53658 - in reply to #53636)

Cruiser

Yes, all from the same floor. The H-D's are in rows together with the other brands intermingled.

If you are not a H-D owner or not looking at H-D items you are "invisible" to the sales staff unless you force the issue. When I owned my Royal Star Venture I drove 250 miles to a dealer that appreciated my business and treated me like a valued customer when I wanted something done or needed to buy "safety chrome".
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™