You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Have you replaced your own Vision headlamps?
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

radioteacher
Posted 2012-04-01 9:00 PM (#111248)
Subject: Have you replaced your own Vision headlamps?

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
If you were able to do it as the Owner Manual states, I am looking for any tips and tricks that Songfan might have missed in his excellent post below.

http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=7538&pos...

One of my head lamps is out on low beam and I just ordered the bulbs.

The real trick I have is how to get the camera and a light in a position to video record the bulb change!

So if you have done the work your self, please give me any advice you can.

Ride Safe
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nozzledog
Posted 2012-04-02 1:48 AM (#111255 - in reply to #111248)
Subject: Re: Have you replaced your own Vision headlamps?

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
When I first got the bike, I could not budge the plugs off the back of the bulbs. When I had the headlight replaced due to a broken driving-beam (HS1) bracket, I replaced the stock bulbs with PIAA anti-vibration bulbs. One of those burnt out after only 7500miles, so I found myself having to change it out myself. I found this time though, the plugs came off quite easily, and with my XXXL hands, I only needed to remove the air-filter (and a small amount of skin) to do the job. I ended up putting both OEM bulbs back in and tossing the working anti-vib one away.
Be advised, If you adjust the leveling screw too far up, the inner reflector falls off the screw and drops inside the housing.
varyder
Posted 2012-04-02 4:35 AM (#111257 - in reply to #111248)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Thanks for that tip Nozzledog, I didn't think there was a loose nut inside the housing, but was wondering because I thought I may have run it off one time. But when I adjusted it, the beam did come down.
willtill
Posted 2012-04-02 5:35 AM (#111266 - in reply to #111248)

Visionary

Central Maryland
On my first of three attempts to install my headlight modulators; I broke one of the H4 bulb trying to get the damned connector to disconnect from it. Replacing the bulbs is a challenge; to say the least. Be prepared to cuss alot.

I did finally get my modulator(s) installed; had to send the one back from Kisan since it was too large for the back of the rubber boot; and instead I went the modulator that comagination.com offers.

One thing that I did find easier; is that once you get the bulbs out of the housing and disconnected; remove the rubber boot for each one of the bulbs completely. Then install the new bulb; then install the rubber boot over the back of each one, THEN connect the electrical leads to the back of each bulb. Hell of a lot easier then just trying to push the rubber boot out of the way while it still has the electrical connector run through it.... Gives you alot more room in there; for your hands.

Also, remove the metal fairing visor below the windshield, and remove the air filter. Removing the fairing visor will help you see the rubber boots from the top; and if you don't remove the air filter; you're gonna mash up the pleats as well as not have enough room to get your hands in there....

Edited by willtill 2012-04-02 5:41 AM
Lotzafun
Posted 2012-04-02 9:25 AM (#111276 - in reply to #111248)

Iron Butt

Rockford, IL
Have said it in the past but guess I'll say it again....

I find that setting the the bike on the opposite side tipover helps improve the angles as far as hand/arm/body contortions.
radioteacher
Posted 2012-04-02 12:01 PM (#111295 - in reply to #111248)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
Nozzledog,

Were your short lived PIAA blubs the stock wattage? Check out the discussion below between SongFan and myself.

Thanks everyone! I should get the blubs in 7 to 10 days....OK i am cheap and picked the free shipping.

I ordered the blubs below.

http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-70856-Xtreme-White-Antivibration/dp/B003...

From a different post...a discussion on the PIAA blubs.

radioteacher - 2011-05-18 1:44 PM

SongFan - 2011-05-17 9:29 PM

<p>I bought the PIAA's?for the Anti-vibration feature most of all.? (Don't just get XTreme white.? Make sure they are <strong>Anti-Vibration</strong>.)? Thicker quartz glass and a heavier duty element.? Nice, pure white color, 4000k (no blue at all).? <strong>Stock wattage</strong>.? The look great while they last but are notorious for burning out very quickly in cars and trucks.? On a vibrating v-twin, they could easily go out in a month.</p>

I had to read this to finally get what you are trying to tell me.

Let me see if I can sum this up.

Buy PIAA but not just any PIAA H4....
Buy PIAA XTreme White but not just any XTreme White....
You want me to buy the PIAA....XTreme White (in 4000K) but only with Anti-Vibration in the stock wattage.

Let me know if I got it right.

http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=8822&sta...

Mudge
Posted 2012-04-02 2:15 PM (#111305 - in reply to #111248)

Tourer

20 miles west of Chicago.
I blew through 4 of the PIAA extreme white antivibration bulbs in 9 months. The last time I replaced them with off brand, off the dealer's shelf H-4's and they have lasted almost two years. I hope you do better.
ByteN2it
Posted 2012-04-02 2:42 PM (#111307 - in reply to #111248)

Tourer

Beer Collins, Colorado (there is no fort)
I replaced both my bulbs with PIAA Night Tech bulbs- their latest & greatest. I'll have to check to see how many miles they have on-as I said in my review posted on this site, I said WOW out loud when I hit the brights at night the first time-great bulbs and hopefully I won't have to pull the housing for a long time-Brian
http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-10707-Night-Tech-Upgrade/dp/B00544ZDDQ/r...

Edited by ByteN2it 2012-04-02 2:44 PM
Nozzledog
Posted 2012-04-02 4:12 PM (#111314 - in reply to #111295)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
60/55 wattage.
I had the same bulbs but in 'Star white' instead of 'Extreme white'. I had been told that the blue tint, retains some of the heat and will cause a bulb to burn out quicker, so I opted for less tint. Guess it didn't make a difference.

+ 1 on taking the front fairing cover off. It helps you to aim where you will be grabbing before you dive in from under.

Edited by Nozzledog 2012-04-02 4:19 PM
johnnyvision
Posted 2012-04-02 6:23 PM (#111325 - in reply to #111248)

Visionary

I went to the auto store and ask for the best long lasting. Maybe there no is bright as the fancy bulbs but its been over two years.
Taking the bulbs out crank the headlight all the way up. Pull the air filter for more hand room. Good flash light and rubber gloves for putting the new bulbs in.
radioteacher
Posted 2012-04-02 8:08 PM (#111342 - in reply to #111248)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
Maybe I will have to replace them sooner rather than later...Oh well. I will report on the life of the bulb when it goes out again.

Where is the most popular place to cut up your hand? The air cleaner area? The bottom of the light housing?

After removing the air cleaner, I was thinking about cutting some scrap leather to cover the hole and any sharp edges. Will this help?

Thanks for the help everyone.

I might get the lamps in by Saturday!

Rife Safe
Nozzledog
Posted 2012-04-02 10:38 PM (#111350 - in reply to #111248)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
For me, it was the back of my left hand, while changing the left bulb. Not sure on what, and didn't notice that any damage was done till it was all over. It was well worth it compared to taking the whole front end apart or paying someone else. I would also recommend a little dielectric grease on the fittings so it will be easier the next time.
radioteacher
Posted 2012-04-03 10:04 AM (#111389 - in reply to #111248)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
Nozzledog,

"dielectric grease" I will add it to the list.

Thanks!
bigfoot
Posted 2012-04-03 12:34 PM (#111399 - in reply to #111248)

Tourer

Akron Ohio area
I went through a set of headlight bulbs in my first year of ownership.
According the the "chart", our high beams are only good for 700 hours.
My first headlight failed (high and low beams) at 17,000 miles and my second failed at 22,000 miles (high and low beams).
Again, according to the chart, that is normal.
My mechanic at my dealership will always change my headlight bulbs.
I'm a retired electrician, and I emphasize the word "retired".
okie vision
Posted 2012-04-03 12:47 PM (#111400 - in reply to #111307)

Iron Butt

Broken Arrow, OK
nvr mind, lol

Edited by okie vision 2012-04-03 12:48 PM
pollolittle
Posted 2012-04-03 3:21 PM (#111417 - in reply to #111248)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
I don't remember rolling the wheel to turn the headlamp assembly last time. Last night I tried to change them but unable to stick my hand up in the small space. Looks like I'll be disassembling the bodywork. I changed them last time by shoving my hand up through the hole and blindly doing it for three + hours. I couldn't figure out what you guys are looking at that helps by taking the silver front panel off.
CoolHandLuke
Posted 2012-04-03 6:25 PM (#111437 - in reply to #111248)

Iron Butt

, FL United States
I have replaced 2 sets of PIAA H4's that were supposed to be brighter than stock. Maybe they were but they didn't last 6 months,either set. Last time I burned out a bulb, I had the dealer install regular H4's from the auto parts store. They're bright enough for me as I don't ride much at night and I hope they last much longer. I disassembled the front end to r&r the bulbs and can now do it in about 3 hours. But I'm retired, so what's 3 hours to me?
radioteacher
Posted 2012-04-08 5:57 PM (#111723 - in reply to #111248)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
Uncle! I give up!

I am sorry, I tried to get just one blub done and failed. I could get the connector and part of the boot off but nothing else.

I could not get the boot all of the way off.

Oh well people have been asking for a video of the disassembly of the front end. Looks like next Saturday I will do that procedure.

Ride Safe

willtill
Posted 2012-04-08 6:43 PM (#111729 - in reply to #111723)

Visionary

Central Maryland
radioteacher - 2012-04-08 6:57 PM

Uncle! I give up!

I am sorry, I tried to get just one blub done and failed. I could get the connector and part of the boot off but nothing else.

Oh well people have been asking for a video of the disassembly of the front end. Looks like next Saturday I will do that procedure.

Ride Safe

They are tough to do, aren't they? Took me a couple of times to finally succeed. It actually get's a little easier, each time you do it (but not easy to do anyway).

Look forward to your front end disassembly video though.

varyder
Posted 2012-04-08 8:36 PM (#111741 - in reply to #111248)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
It's been a while since I replaced a bulb, almost two years. For a while, it was every few months and to the point I would just replace the one that blew out. I was doing it under an hour for one, and fortunetly I've got smaller hands.
g1nomad
Posted 2012-04-10 3:38 PM (#111889 - in reply to #111723)

Tourer

SC, Bluffton
radioteacher - 2012-04-08 5:57 PM

Uncle! I give up!

Ride Safe

Many of us will look forward to that video. My time is coming.

Thank you.
pollolittle
Posted 2012-04-10 4:02 PM (#111892 - in reply to #111248)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Just finished disassembling the front end and went ahead and replaced the turn signals and running lamps. The Wagner bulbs look better built for vibration than the Sylvania bulbs you can get from the Auto parts chains. I get them from NAPA, the other Auto chain. Actually a little less than the two pack at Advance Auto. But there is a definite difference.

For me the first set of Victory Stock bulbs lasted around 40k, some off brand the dealer had only lasted 20k, now I'm giving the PIAA's a shot. By taking the bodywork off, it gives you an opportunity to clean in some areas that haven't been cleaned. Having done this procedure a couple of times, I could probably do it all with no cleaning in about 3 hours. I'm out the same amount of time either way, one way is just way more irritating. I disassemble.

Note - Radioteacher the book informs you you can pull the headlight and turn signals out as one unit, that would be a good step to remember. It'll save you an extra hour or so.
donetracey
Posted 2012-04-10 5:44 PM (#111901 - in reply to #111248)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
If (when) mine burns out, I'm going to bungie a flashlight to the fender and use that until I can get down to see Pollo to get lamps replaced. I'll even buy the beer ....
radioteacher
Posted 2012-04-10 8:43 PM (#111921 - in reply to #111248)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
pollolittle,

Please post the procedure that you follow. The service manual stinks when it comes to what to remove in what order. Just a list would do.

Something like:
Remove Front Blade
Remove.....
Take off Fairing Trim.....left then right
Belly trim piece.....
Take out the bolts for the ......
Take out the bolts for the ......
Take out headlight and turn signals out as one unit. <---that is a great one by the way!

And other points like...Use a wrench that has a ratching box end in 10mm to reach...... Think Gearwrench.

Ride Safe
pollolittle
Posted 2012-04-11 2:58 PM (#111976 - in reply to #111248)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
donetracey - if you make it this far without headlights and bring the Crown Royal (it is Canadian after all), I'll supply the Dr. Pepper and change your bulbs for you. Stop in Wisconsin and pick up some Cheese Curds.

Radioteacher - the book does an excellent job of what to do there is just a lot of flipping back and forth to the different sections. Of course, there is no section I have found on replacing headlights. In the 2008 edition of the service manual on page 3.24, section for FRONT FAIRING & TURN SIGNAL LENS is where I start from. I will see if I can condense it for ya'll and then it can be added as a technical article and then free t-shirts or ball-caps, and then free Crown Royal and then Free Dr Pepper, I can't wait.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™