You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

My new Vision Mod #2 - Amplifier installation
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

Cadillac Bob
Posted 2014-02-19 6:29 PM (#151521)
Subject: My new Vision Mod #2 - Amplifier installation

Cruiser

Bradenton, FL

One thing the new scoot was lacking in, was the music department. I have my ipad mini for a source, but decided to add some upgraded sounds. I added in RF 2 channel amp for the mids/highs in custom bracket under the seat, a mono RF sub amp in the saddlebag. I fed everything with 8 ga wire and added in a power dist. block in the small cubby ahead of the right saddlebag.

I'll be posting more as the custom sub-woofer box and front speaker pods go in... still trying to get used to the thought of tearing down a brand new bike without even 100 miles on it yet for all this

Top of the page Bottom of the page
atvtinker
Posted 2014-02-20 10:32 AM (#151542 - in reply to #151521)
Subject: Re: My new Vision Mod #2 - Amplifier installation

Tourer

Grand Cane, LA
Word of advice about the amp in the saddle bag. You will need some kind of air movement for that thing because it will get hot and quick. Trust me, been there, done that. You're likely going to have to rig up some kind of PC fan and some kind of filtered air inlet.
Cadillac Bob
Posted 2014-02-20 5:41 PM (#151548 - in reply to #151542)

Cruiser

Bradenton, FL
atvtinker - 2014-02-20 11:32 AM

Word of advice about the amp in the saddle bag. You will need some kind of air movement for that thing because it will get hot and quick. Trust me, been there, done that. You're likely going to have to rig up some kind of PC fan and some kind of filtered air inlet.

Yeah, I am anticipating some potential heat issues. I am porting the sub cabinet outside of the saddlebag which I am hoping will give adequate airflow, but if not I do have a small DC fan on standby to install if necessary.
Cadillac Bob
Posted 2014-02-20 5:52 PM (#151549 - in reply to #151521)
Subject: RE: My new Vision Mod #2 - Amplifier installation

Cruiser

Bradenton, FL

BTW here is sneak peek at the sub cabinet, will hold 2 JL Audio 6W3's. I wanted good sound, but didn't want to sacrifice an entire saddlebag for it. Will leave about 50% of the saddlebag still usable, and can be removed if necessary for long haul runs where I need the whole bag.

johnnyvision
Posted 2014-02-20 6:15 PM (#151550 - in reply to #151521)

Visionary

As long as your doing wiring you might want to make your rear break light more
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-QPAMpVmhw
Cadillac Bob
Posted 2014-02-20 7:41 PM (#151553 - in reply to #151550)

Cruiser

Bradenton, FL
johnnyvision - 2014-02-20 7:15 PM

As long as your doing wiring you might want to make your rear break light more
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-QPAMpVmhw

I saw that thread before and I liked that idea. I am really thinking about going with the LCD panels in the rear though, but probably will clip those wires at least until I do. Appreciate the reminder
Arkainzeye
Posted 2014-02-20 7:56 PM (#151554 - in reply to #151521)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
not just heat issues from the amp making heat. but inside those bags they get really warm in the summer.. figure where they exhaust in , where they engine is located, ive had stuff get REALLY warm in there. so add a amp and its a sure thing for your own little oven..
willtill
Posted 2014-02-21 6:16 AM (#151572 - in reply to #151554)

Visionary

Central Maryland
Arkainzeye - 2014-02-20 8:56 PM

not just heat issues from the amp making heat. but inside those bags they get really warm in the summer.. figure where they exhaust in , where they engine is located, ive had stuff get REALLY warm in there. so add a amp and its a sure thing for your own little oven..

Yep. If you leave a cold six pack of beer in there from the store and have a long way home; it'll be tepid by the time you take a bottle out and crack the cap.
Cadillac Bob
Posted 2014-02-21 11:28 AM (#151577 - in reply to #151521)

Cruiser

Bradenton, FL

Yeah, for heat I am going to try using a small 12vdc fan and see how that works. If its not sufficient I will probably use a liquid cooled PC setup with a cool plate mounted to the amp, just have to find somewhere to mount the radiator for it.

In the meantime, here is a sneak peek of my custom speaker pods for my 6'5 JL's under construction

Jedi Jeff
Posted 2014-02-21 11:54 AM (#151578 - in reply to #151521)

Fountain Inn, SC United States
Nice Work Bob. I enjoy seeing new ways of mounting speakers and amps. Noticed that you are running your +12 power line in the same loom as your input signal wires. You may run into a hum/buzz issue with that. Just an fyi.

Good Luck and take loads of photos! Consider writing a how-to article for this site.

lova
Posted 2014-02-21 3:42 PM (#151587 - in reply to #151521)

Cruiser

sweet sweet sweet! i got my eyes on you! great job man!

cheers!
Cadillac Bob
Posted 2014-02-22 8:10 PM (#151612 - in reply to #151521)

Cruiser

Bradenton, FL

And the grinding continues... there is however light at the end of the tunnel!

Cadillac Bob
Posted 2014-02-22 8:41 PM (#151613 - in reply to #151521)

Cruiser

Bradenton, FL

Here is a little comparison between the stock 5 1/4 speakers and the new 6'5 and sub. Just a wee bit o' difference as you can see

nailer
Posted 2014-02-23 10:53 AM (#151628 - in reply to #151613)

Tourer

Albuquerque, NM
You've got some serious fabrication skills dude. That vision is going to rock!
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-02-23 6:29 PM (#151636 - in reply to #151521)

Visionary

Your not putting speakers in where the mirrors are or am I head of you. Looks great
Before you put the seat on cover the shock hole with some duck tape it will help it to say clean around there.
I meet a guy this summer that had a small 4" fan down in front on the side aluminum trim that he would use to say cool when it got hot out. He said it was surprising how much breeze it put out
Cadillac Bob
Posted 2014-02-25 7:19 PM (#151720 - in reply to #151521)

Cruiser

Bradenton, FL

Ok, got the sub cabinet finished, system sounds great. Had to add some dynamat and port the saddlebag into the small compartment under the seat but the sound is very nice. Got all of the finish work done on the pods and everything test fit. Now its time for paint!

Jedi Jeff
Posted 2014-02-28 2:26 PM (#151811 - in reply to #151521)

Fountain Inn, SC United States
Bob - I got lots of questions!!!!
What are your front speaker pods made of? MDF?
And how did you get the smooth contours?
Why did you go with 2 subs? Are they run from a single mono amp?
For porting the sub cabinet, did you just cut a hole in the inside of the saddlebag? Was there math involved in deciding how big a hole?

A fantastic job!
Cadillac Bob
Posted 2014-02-28 6:28 PM (#151815 - in reply to #151811)

Cruiser

Bradenton, FL
Jedi Jeff - 2014-02-28 3:26 PM

Bob - I got lots of questions!!!!
What are your front speaker pods made of? MDF?
And how did you get the smooth contours?
Why did you go with 2 subs? Are they run from a single mono amp?
For porting the sub cabinet, did you just cut a hole in the inside of the saddlebag? Was there math involved in deciding how big a hole?

A fantastic job!

#1. Speaker pods are 3/4 MDF, fiberglass resin and bondo on top of the factory plastic panels.
#2. Lots of sanding!
#3. Because 2 are always better than one! And yes, they are both ran parallel to a single mono amp
#4. The sub cabinet is actually sealed and has about .6 CF of airspace which just happens to be perfect for a pair of the JL 6W3 subs.
#5. The port I made was from the saddlebag into the small unsealed compartment in front of it. It does create a bit of a bandpass effect, but more importantly allows the subs to breath and lets air move in and out of the saddlebag which in turn makes the subs sound better and helps to cool the amp located in the same compartment.
TimS
Posted 2014-03-01 11:23 PM (#151849 - in reply to #151815)

Iron Butt

Great install.  Best speaker pods I have seen for the Vision.

Besides the grill cover, did you have to cut the dash to make room for the backs of the 6.5's?

Are you still using the rear speaker enclosures, or are you running the fronts as open/infinite baffles?

Did you use any additional fasteners to attach the speaker pods to the bike?

What Rockford Fosgate amps did you use (and does the charging system stay up)?

What crossovers are you using for the fronts and sub?

Any reason why you chose JL Audio fronts versus aftermarket motorcycle speakers?

I think your speaker pods and sub-box would make for great aftermarket accessories for the Vision.  Time to productize your pods or go in business with someone like Biketronics to fabricate your pods for you.  Biketronics has 6.5" and 7.1" speakers that I am sure they would love to sell for Visions.

Cadillac Bob
Posted 2014-03-02 6:36 PM (#151870 - in reply to #151849)

Cruiser

Bradenton, FL
TimS - 2014-03-02 12:23 AM

Great install.? Best speaker pods I have seen for the Vision.

Besides the grill cover, did you have to cut the dash to make room for the backs of the 6.5's?

Are you still using the rear speaker enclosures, or are you running the fronts as open/infinite baffles?

Did you use any additional fasteners to attach the speaker pods to the bike?

What Rockford Fosgate amps did you use (and does the charging system stay up)?

What crossovers are you using for the fronts and sub?

Any reason why you chose JL Audio fronts versus aftermarket motorcycle speakers?

I think your speaker pods and sub-box would make for great aftermarket accessories for the Vision.? Time to productize your pods or go in business with someone like Biketronics to fabricate your pods for you.? Biketronics has 6.5" and 7.1" speakers that I am sure they would love to sell for Visions.

#1. Yes, I did have to cut away a bit of material from the fairing for the JL's to fit, but thats mostly because they are MASSIVE. Most normal 6'5's should fit no problem, but either way it was no big deal, just a bit of dremel work. The JL's are infinite baffle (free-air) woofers, so keeping the small factory front enclosures really killed the midbass. I basically threw the factory enclosures away and added some dynamat to some of the exposed metal and plastic inside the fairing and the sound quality is great.

#2. I still am using the factory 5 1/4 enclosures on the tour pack, but I plan on custom molding some 6'5's in there also for a future project.

#3. No other fasteners were needed, the speakers screw into the custom panels and the custom panels use the factory mounting snaps and screws. Very easy to install or remove.

#4. Amps have built in crossovers, I am using a PBR300x2 for the front stage, a PBR 500x1 for the subs, and am driving the rear speakers off the factory radio simply for rear fill.

#5. The factory charging system wasn't as robust as I would of hoped. I ran all 8GA power wire, but did have some dimming lights when the system was cranked. I also noticed that running the system for not even 5 minutes with the bike off killed the battery dead. I added a second battery (gell cell, standard motorcycle chassis size) in the left hand saddlebag (one will easily also fit in the trunk mount, but I want my trunk to stay removable so thats why I went with the saddlebag) and now I get no light dimming at all, and thus far can crank the system up with the bike off and have no fear of killing it anywhere near as quickly.

#6. I chose the JL's because I have had great luck with them in the past, they have excellent power handling and are one of the few companies that make a true 6'5 coaxial marine speaker. That plus they truly sound awesome, the PBR300x2 is a great match for them power-wise. At $299 a pair they arent cheap, but you get what you pay for in the end.

Edited by Cadillac Bob 2014-03-02 6:38 PM
TimS
Posted 2014-03-02 10:49 PM (#151886 - in reply to #151870)

Iron Butt

CB,

Thanks for the answers.  It looks like those amps are pretty efficient.

I know JL Audio makes great subs (auto and home), but haven't checked out their other speakers.

"... The factory charging system wasn't as robust as I would of hoped. ...", ditto that !!!  I hope that is something they fix, SOON.

Sincerely,

Tim

Edited by TimS 2014-03-02 10:51 PM
Big six
Posted 2014-03-12 7:15 PM (#152193 - in reply to #151886)

Puddle Jumper

Bob u good man.(Big Six)
Big six
Posted 2014-03-12 7:59 PM (#152194 - in reply to #151521)

Puddle Jumper

bob u the Man.
Big six
Posted 2014-03-14 8:11 PM (#152243 - in reply to #151521)

Puddle Jumper

How much.
icemann
Posted 2014-05-12 12:44 AM (#156156 - in reply to #151521)

Cruiser

, OH
So bob, how does ONE order the molds for the rears only hmmm?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™