You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Rylan Explains Lloydz Timing Wheel
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

johnnyvision
Posted 2014-03-01 5:47 PM (#151837)
Subject: Rylan Explains Lloydz Timing Wheel

Visionary

Top of the page Bottom of the page
willtill
Posted 2014-03-01 6:01 PM (#151838 - in reply to #151837)
Subject: Re: Rylan Explains Lloydz Timing Wheel

Visionary

Central Maryland
Excellent video! However a couple of points need to be made about it...

1. One whom has done this; can easily tell that:

a. They had already taken apart the timing wheel cover and such previously. The gasket easily fell out (intact); and the timing wheel easily came off the shaft. In real life... not!

This video (while accurate in the replacement) does not accurately depict the work that is involved... with a never disturbed timing wheel cover.

2. Air tools make it quick and easy.

Edited by willtill 2014-03-01 6:03 PM
gtrjoe
Posted 2014-03-01 9:57 PM (#151842 - in reply to #151837)
Subject: RE: Rylan Explains Lloydz Timing Wheel

Puddle Jumper

Very well done - I think this will help a lot of people.
39 chev
Posted 2014-03-01 10:08 PM (#151843 - in reply to #151837)

Puddle Jumper

Pillager, MN
Watched the video...one question. Can you adjust the amount of advance with the wheel mounted in the bike? Do you have to loosen or remove the center bolt (bolt that attaches the wheel to the crank), or can you just loosen the two outer bolts to change the advance.

The reason I ask is, Rylan installed the wheel when I had him install did cams, etc. 98% of the time it's perfectly fine, but last year in the mountains, even when using premium, I had a slight ping when it was hot and at high altitudes. I might want to back it down to 3 degrees and try it.

willtill
Posted 2014-03-02 5:22 AM (#151850 - in reply to #151843)

Visionary

Central Maryland
39 chev - 2014-03-01 11:08 PM

Watched the video...one question. Can you adjust the amount of advance with the wheel mounted in the bike? Do you have to loosen or remove the center bolt (bolt that attaches the wheel to the crank), or can you just loosen the two outer bolts to change the advance.

The reason I ask is, Rylan installed the wheel when I had him install did cams, etc. 98% of the time it's perfectly fine, but last year in the mountains, even when using premium, I had a slight ping when it was hot and at high altitudes. I might want to back it down to 3 degrees and try it.

You do not have to loosen the center shaft bolt; nor remove the Lloydz timing wheel once it is installed on the shaft; to adjust the timing. Loosening the outer two bolts on the wheel is all that is required; and then tighten them back up.
39 chev
Posted 2014-03-02 8:28 AM (#151852 - in reply to #151837)

Puddle Jumper

Pillager, MN
Thanks Will...
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-03-02 6:50 PM (#151873 - in reply to #151843)

Visionary

39 chev - 2014-03-01 10:08 PM Watched the video...one question. Can you adjust the amount of advance with the wheel mounted in the bike? Do you have to loosen or remove the center bolt (bolt that attaches the wheel to the crank), or can you just loosen the two outer bolts to change the advance. The reason I ask is, Rylan installed the wheel when I had him install did cams, etc. 98% of the time it's perfectly fine, but last year in the mountains, even when using premium, I had a slight ping when it was hot and at high altitudes. I might want to back it down to 3 degrees and try it.

You should call Rylan it might not be the wheel but your fuel tuner. All so when its hot out like upper 90's and better with high humidity can cause pinging. Just cause you pay for high obtain gas doesn't mean thats what you get. Always look for a gas station that does high volume for newer gas

willtill
Posted 2014-03-02 7:13 PM (#151874 - in reply to #151873)

Visionary

Central Maryland

johnnyvision - 2014-03-02 7:50 PM

39 chev - 2014-03-01 10:08 PM Watched the video...one question. Can you adjust the amount of advance with the wheel mounted in the bike? Do you have to loosen or remove the center bolt (bolt that attaches the wheel to the crank), or can you just loosen the two outer bolts to change the advance. The reason I ask is, Rylan installed the wheel when I had him install did cams, etc. 98% of the time it's perfectly fine, but last year in the mountains, even when using premium, I had a slight ping when it was hot and at high altitudes. I might want to back it down to 3 degrees and try it.

You should call Rylan it might not be the wheel but your fuel tuner. All so when its hot out like upper 90's and better with high humidity can cause pinging. Just cause you pay for high obtain gas doesn't mean thats what you get. Always look for a gas station that does high volume for newer gas

True dat.

39 chev
Posted 2014-03-02 10:02 PM (#151885 - in reply to #151837)

Puddle Jumper

Pillager, MN
<p>I think the tuner is set-up correctly...Rylan put it on his dyno and adjusted for optimum fuel programming. I agree with the "fresh" gas...I always try to find a busy gas station, but you never know. A couple of years ago, after going through the Million Dollar Highway, I bought gas in Durango, CO for my Valkyrie. It "bucked and puked" all the way up the mountain to the way to Telluride. Didn't know if I was going to make it. It was hot in the mountains when I got a slight ping, but not humid. Not too concerned because it only happened on vacation that couple of days and I could keep it from happening by just downshifting and running high RPM's. Never had any problem here in the flatlands.</p>

Edited by 39 chev 2014-03-02 10:04 PM
fivepoints
Posted 2014-03-19 4:02 PM (#152465 - in reply to #151837)

Puddle Jumper

MA facing NH, MA United States
Thanks for this post. Great overview, takes the mystery away. Now I feel OK about installing this myself.
wingit3611
Posted 2014-04-02 4:04 PM (#153933 - in reply to #152465)

Cruiser

1 big advatage of the Timing increase! People complain about it turning over and not starting up quickly. I'm up to +6 degrees on 87 octane with no pinging and it starts up a lot QUICKER.
oilfieldtrash
Posted 2014-04-02 9:27 PM (#153943 - in reply to #151837)

New user

colorado springs, CO
Just to add a line here. And i am slow i know. Rylan worked my bike over and set it up on the dyno. Perfect running machine, until i got it home at altitude. 6700 ft above sea level. Had all sorts of issues. It ran great on the plains of Colorado, but get near the mountains or in the mountains, and a loss of power and pinging, coughing, and basically wouldnt run. Talked it over with Rylan and he suggeted adjusting the timing wheel. So after adjusting the timing wheel,( didnt help), trying different gas, different times of day riding, there was no help. So i found a local guy and put it on his dyno. It ran numbers way lower than i had when Rylan was done. The fuel controller was slightly out of whack for the altitude. Didnt have to adjust it much, but it needed adjusting. Brought my numbers back up over 123 torque and 124 hp. At 6700 feet. Bike is running great. So if you have the commander 5, and having issues, you might check it on the dyno again.
And realize Rylan was interested and involved in the discussions. He was concerned, and thinking, and talking with Lloyd. They kinda figured it might be the controller. It was nothing Rylan did, just the change in elevation that plays with the controller. We are blessed to have Rylan, the experiance and the support he gives us.
ljurgens
Posted 2014-09-15 7:47 PM (#165906 - in reply to #151837)

Tourer

West Salem, WI United States

I moved my ATS to +6 tonight and took it for a spin. Whoa, that made a huge difference from +4!

It felt so strong and I didn't hear any pinging, in fact the bike sounded better than ever (in my head I'm sure ;-)

Bike is bone stock otherwise and I'm running 91 gas, its only 60 degrees here tonight, and I didn't put a big load on her going uphill or anything like that. I'll have a longer ride to work tomorrow and a even longer ride home to "test".

I heard these motors are all a little bit different, and I've read about some motors that can only handle none, or only +2 and some can go higher with no problems. Do higher temps and/or heaver loads make a big difference in pinging?

johnnyvision
Posted 2014-09-16 6:36 PM (#165932 - in reply to #151837)

Visionary

wait till hot weather it will sound different and you might hear pinging. Cold weather always makes bikes run better
ljurgens
Posted 2014-09-16 7:58 PM (#165935 - in reply to #165932)

Tourer

Yep, but for now I'll surely enjoy the extra ;-)

Godspeed
Posted 2014-09-16 9:53 PM (#165937 - in reply to #151837)

Cruiser

Denver, Iowa
"I heard these motors are all a little bit different, and I've read about some motors that can only handle none, or only +2 and some can go higher with no problems."

Anything over 2 degrees on my motor, and it pings. I had it at 4, but Rylan backed it down to 2 when he dyno'd it. Dang!

I also had issues with my bike on top of Pikes Peak, and Mt Evans. Since the fuel controller bypassed the EFI, my bike was blubbering-rich at the summit. Once we dropped about (estimate)3,000 or so feet in elevation from the peak, the stumbling became far less noticeable.

ljurgens- Your ride home better include riding through the Mindoro Cut! (I'm jealous your so close to that!) That's where you'll notice the power!
ljurgens
Posted 2014-09-17 1:04 PM (#165942 - in reply to #165937)

Tourer

I'm definately noticing it in 3rd gear when I happen to be at lower RPM's.

Tonight's ride home will definately be southbound through the cut ;-)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™