You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Centramatic Wheel balancers. The days of taking your tires in for balancing are over?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

Vladezip
Posted 2014-05-07 1:18 AM (#155973)
Subject: Centramatic Wheel balancers. The days of taking your tires in for balancing are over?

Glendale, AZ United States
I was just curious if anybody out there is using the Centramatic wheel balancers. I was wanting some input from anybody that is using this product currently and what their thoughts are on it.

At least on paper, these things appear to be the next best thing since sliced bread especially for your "do it yourself" tire guys where you will never need to go to a shop and pay the money to balance a tire. 289.00 bucks for the VV, but I think these things will pay for themselves in no time.

Here is what the Centramatic manufacturer claims:

* Increased tire life up to 50%
* Reduced vibration and increased stability. Tire will always be perfectly balanced irregardless of tread life since the beads in medium will adjust as needed to make sure the tire is always perfectly balanced.
* Lower tire temps by 10-15%

I have posted a link and youtube videos on how this is installed on the VV specifically, which looks easy as pie and will not affect ABS and how this product actually works. Let me know what you folks think because I'm seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on these myself. Thanks, Vlad.

http://centramatic.com/Page.aspx?page=Motorcycle%20Balancers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xexagKRjwqw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ullnFQD4F1I
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ljurgens
Posted 2014-05-07 8:07 AM (#155976 - in reply to #155973)
Subject: RE: Centramatic Wheel balancers. The days of taking your tires in for balancing are over?

Tourer

West Salem, WI United States

Vladezip - 2014-05-07 1:18 AM I was just curious if anybody out there is using the Centramatic wheel balancers. I was wanting some input from anybody that is using this product currently and what their thoughts are on it.

Vlad, there is one lengthy thread right here! Search is your friend :-)

Centramatics wheel balancers

Edited by ljurgens 2014-05-07 8:10 AM
iluvink
Posted 2014-05-07 9:59 AM (#155977 - in reply to #155973)
Subject: Re: Centramatic Wheel balancers. The days of taking your tires in for balancing are over?

Tourer

Dallas, Texas
OK, well, I'll continue on this thread. I like the idea of these. but no one has address the slight adjustment to the belt assembly. Doesn't the space created by the wheel balancer make any difference on the rear tire?
Vladezip
Posted 2014-05-07 12:59 PM (#155985 - in reply to #155976)
Subject: RE: Centramatic Wheel balancers. The days of taking your tires in for balancing are over?

ljurgens - 2014-05-07 7:07 AM

Vladezip - 2014-05-07 1:18 AM I was just curious if anybody out there is using the Centramatic wheel balancers. I was wanting some input from anybody that is using this product currently and what their thoughts are on it.

Vlad, there is one lengthy thread right here! Search is your friend :-)

Centramatics wheel balancers

I did a keyword search but nothing popped for me for some reason
Vladezip
Posted 2014-05-07 1:13 PM (#155986 - in reply to #155973)
Subject: Re: Centramatic Wheel balancers. The days of taking your tires in for balancing are over?

I looked at the previous thread. I will not be selling my bike anytime soon and this will be the only "permanent" fix so I will order a set. Im very interested in the riding feel and handling characteristics.
Oldman47
Posted 2014-05-07 1:19 PM (#155988 - in reply to #155973)

Tourer

Central Illinois
Correct me if I am wrong but the Centramatics has very little impact on the alignment. I suspect it is not really noticeable unless you are already pushing the limit before you install them.
Vladezip
Posted 2014-05-07 2:20 PM (#155991 - in reply to #155973)

Someone in the previous thread that I reviewed made a very valid observation and hit the point home for me personally. From his experience, he's getting very darn close life out of his rear tire as he is from his front tire with this product. I don't know about the rest of you, but I always seem to find myself in a situation where the rear tire is shot and I have another 5K left on the front if not more. I'm fearful of having a front tire blow out on the interstate somewhere so I side on the side of caution with the front tire for sure and change out the set. If I can squeeze out an extra 5K miles from the rear with this product this will make all the difference and will pay for itself within two to three tire changes not to mention better handling overall, which is always a plus. I also like the very clean bolt on installation, which is hardly noticeable unless you are looking for it.

I'm not an authority on this and don't pretend to be, but it would seem to me that if you are using beads in the actual tire to balance it, those beads within the tire would promote heat and reduce tire life? I know with tires it's all about checking the tire pressure and checking it often to minimize heat, and the road quality, which is out of my control.

I like stuff that promotes utility and function and serves a purpose or I'm not interested in bolting it on the bike. I bit the bullet and ordered a set and will let you know how it is, which may not be a fair comparison since I chose to give the Avon Cobras a try this time around vs the E3s just to see what the hype is about, but this is not a tire post Vlad.

el spanky
Posted 2014-05-07 5:01 PM (#155993 - in reply to #155973)

Cruiser

Victoria Tx, TX United States
I know in my industry OO's use them and swear by them!! Big Trucks aka 18 wheelers!! I am getting some when I replace my tires. Please keep us posted!!
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-05-07 6:04 PM (#155998 - in reply to #155973)

Visionary

I get 15 thousand out of my tires. There at the point that more is not a good idea. I doughty that Centramatic wheel balancers add more life.
For the price of them they should keep you dry in the rain. Dyna beads works great and no vibration
lstayner
Posted 2014-05-07 6:08 PM (#156001 - in reply to #155973)

Tourer

Prairie City, IA United States
I got the 2nd & 3rd sets made for a Victory. I have had 1 1/2 sets of tires so far on the Vision and 1 set of the GW before that. The last set of tires were the Michelin Commander II (yes they are bias) and changed them at 19K miles. The rear actually wasn't worn out but the front was as far as I was willing to take it. The ride is very smooth. It is really hard to explain how they feel on the bike. You notice them the most when coming out of a curve. They seem to bring the bike upright. Might just be my imagination though. Air pressure is still a critical thing to watch to maximize mileage. If. I. Ever decide to trade the bike, they will come off and on the new one.
lstayner
Posted 2014-05-07 6:08 PM (#156002 - in reply to #155973)

Tourer

I got the 2nd & 3rd sets made for a Victory. I have had 1 1/2 sets of tires so far on the Vision and 1 set of the GW before that. The last set of tires were the Michelin Commander II (yes they are bias) and changed them at 19K miles. The rear actually wasn't worn out but the front was as far as I was willing to take it. The ride is very smooth. It is really hard to explain how they feel on the bike. You notice them the most when coming out of a curve. They seem to bring the bike upright. Might just be my imagination though. Air pressure is still a critical thing to watch to maximize mileage. If. I. Ever decide to trade the bike, they will come off and on the new one.
MaddMAx2u
Posted 2014-05-07 8:21 PM (#156008 - in reply to #155973)

Iron Butt

Orlando, FL
Spend HOW much??? Buy some Ride on and put it in your tires.
Vladezip
Posted 2014-05-07 10:51 PM (#156015 - in reply to #156008)

MaddMAx2u - 2014-05-07 7:21 PM

Spend HOW much??? Buy some Ride on and put it in your tires.[/QUOTE

I completely understand what you are saying, but it seems to me nothing is cheap for the VV. Considering the lower wind deflectors are about 30 bucks less I figured I would give this a shot. I plan on keeping my VV until it blows up so I figure this will pay for itself in time. As mentioned above, the proof will be in the twisties, which Im looking forward to and extremely curious.

Im a no frills guy that would prefer to spend the money on this as opposed to aftermarket billet, engine performance mods, and cosmetics. Not that there is anything wrong with that and to each his own.
BumbleDB
Posted 2014-05-07 10:59 PM (#156016 - in reply to #155973)

Cruiser

Put a set on my viz... I'm very happy with them. My rear tire does not get the heavy chop pattern it used to, ride is smooth.
To bad the roads in my state eat tires like candy. Good ol' chip seal.

Replacing tires as a set is a waste of money unless they're both shot at the same time or you're going to the track.
Vladezip
Posted 2014-05-16 12:50 AM (#156390 - in reply to #155977)

iluvink - 2014-05-07 8:59 AM

OK, well, I'll continue on this thread. I like the idea of these. but no one has address the slight adjustment to the belt assembly. Doesn't the space created by the wheel balancer make any difference on the rear tire?

I thought the same thing, but not an issue. A little bit of a tight fit with the drive belt guard there, but very nice. You will need to adjust belt slack of course after you put the tire back on. Vic recommends new bolts for application, but used the original bolts and loctite red for good measure. 50 foot pounds on torque wrench if I remember correctly since my brain is fried from riding in 108 degree weather today.

No need to ever balance tires again. This was the first time I have taken the rear tire off since I bought the bike last year. For those of you that remove/reinstall the rear tire by yourselves, I call BS on that one. Difficult to line everything up and those freaking spacers to where I was freaking cursing and I don't normally do that. I had to get a buddy to help me reinstall. I lined everything up while he supported the tire where I needed it. Will post some pics when I have time if this darn thing will let me upload.

Put about 250 miles on today. Very happy and significant improvement. I you thought the bike tracks good, it tracks even better with these, major improvement in handling, especially at low speed, reduced tire noise. We will see if I have improved tire wear in the future. Too early to tell. Vlad.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2014-05-16 5:56 AM (#156394 - in reply to #155973)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/motorcycle.htm
lstayner
Posted 2014-05-16 7:54 AM (#156404 - in reply to #156394)

Tourer

Arkainzeye - 2014-05-16 5:56 AM

Been there done that on 2 bikes. It is not the same. They didn't improve tire wear and they didn't ride any better.
atvtinker
Posted 2014-05-23 8:50 AM (#157647 - in reply to #155973)

Tourer

Grand Cane, LA
Vlad, to help with the rear tire change when doing it yourself, get a big extra long screwdriver or make a rod close to the size of the axle to help line things up before you slide the axle through. It makes it a whole lot easier.
varyder
Posted 2014-05-23 9:56 AM (#157650 - in reply to #157647)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

atvtinker - 2014-05-23 9:50 AM Vlad, to help with the rear tire change when doing it yourself, get a big extra long screwdriver or make a rod close to the size of the axle to help line things up before you slide the axle through. It makes it a whole lot easier.

+1 - I've removed and installed my rear tire more times than I can count.  I can "feel" my way in with the axle and get everything inline. 

1. I slap some grease on the spacer ends to help make them stick in the wheel recesses. 
  2. The trick is not to have the bolts in for at least one side for the shock/pushrod on the swing arm. 
  3. I then have the bike high enough to zero out the alignment for the axle hole for the swingarm and wheel. 
  4. Make sure your belt is on he pulley. 
  5. Slide the axle in after getting the brake caliper carrier lined up with the adjuster and the left spacer. 
  6. Work the axle through to the otherside, and then make sure you have a level canter on the wheel, align the adjuster up and push the axle through. 

The only real trouble I have had is the right spacer wants to get cockeyed, but with a little finese, it cooperates and stays put.  I never remove the nut from the left side, and back it out only enough to push it throught to get the right clip out.

If you'd like you can come over and watch the next time.  Or maybe I'll do a video.

Vladezip
Posted 2014-05-23 1:27 PM (#157652 - in reply to #157647)

atvtinker - 2014-05-23 7:50 AM

Vlad, to help with the rear tire change when doing it yourself, get a big extra long screwdriver or make a rod close to the size of the axle to help line things up before you slide the axle through. It makes it a whole lot easier.

Will try that next time. Thanks.
Vladezip
Posted 2014-05-23 1:43 PM (#157654 - in reply to #157650)

varyder - 2014-05-23 8:56 AM

atvtinker - 2014-05-23 9:50 AM Vlad, to help with the rear tire change when doing it yourself, get a big extra long screwdriver or make a rod close to the size of the axle to help line things up before you slide the axle through. It makes it a whole lot easier.

+1 - I've removed and installed my rear tire more times than I can count.? I can "feel" my way in with the axle and get everything inline.?

1. I slap some grease on the spacer ends to help make them stick in the wheel recesses.?
  2. The trick is not to have the bolts in for at least one side for the shock/pushrod on the swing arm.?
  3. I then have the bike high enough to zero out the alignment for the axle hole for the swingarm and wheel.?
  4. Make sure your belt is on he pulley.?
  5. Slide the axle in after getting the brake caliper carrier lined up with the adjuster and the left spacer.?
  6. Work the axle through to the otherside, and then make sure you have a level canter on the wheel, align the adjuster up and push the axle through.?

The only real trouble I have had is the right spacer wants to get cockeyed, but with a little finese, it cooperates and stays put.? I never remove the nut from the left side, and back it out only enough to push it throught to get the right clip out.

If you'd like you can come over and watch the next time.? Or maybe I'll do a video.

Videos/Videos!! Rim/tire is heavy sucker and trying to line up the tire while getting the shaft through and worry about the spacers at the same time. I guess I need to invest in a serious bike lift and get her up 5 feet in the air, which should work a whole lot better. Put about 500 miles on the Centramatics and so far so good. I am pleased and can tell a difference, especially in slow speed cornering as well as at speed. Too early to tell much of anything else. Vlad.
BrandonM7
Posted 2014-05-25 2:51 PM (#157687 - in reply to #157654)

Cruiser

LaGrange, GA
Vladezip - 2014-05-23 2:43 PM

varyder - 2014-05-23 8:56 AM

+1 - I've removed and installed my rear tire more times than I can count.? I can "feel" my way in with the axle and get everything inline.?

1. I slap some grease on the spacer ends to help make them stick in the wheel recesses.?
  2. The trick is not to have the bolts in for at least one side for the shock/pushrod on the swing arm.?
  3. I then have the bike high enough to zero out the alignment for the axle hole for the swingarm and wheel.?
  4. Make sure your belt is on he pulley.?
  5. Slide the axle in after getting the brake caliper carrier lined up with the adjuster and the left spacer.?
  6. Work the axle through to the otherside, and then make sure you have a level canter on the wheel, align the adjuster up and push the axle through.?

The only real trouble I have had is the right spacer wants to get cockeyed, but with a little finese, it cooperates and stays put.? I never remove the nut from the left side, and back it out only enough to push it throught to get the right clip out.

If you'd like you can come over and watch the next time.? Or maybe I'll do a video.

Videos/Videos!! Rim/tire is heavy sucker and trying to line up the tire while getting the shaft through and worry about the spacers at the same time. I guess I need to invest in a serious bike lift and get her up 5 feet in the air, which should work a whole lot better. Put about 500 miles on the Centramatics and so far so good. I am pleased and can tell a difference, especially in slow speed cornering as well as at speed. Too early to tell much of anything else. Vlad.

Getting it high really doesn't help. I like my bike as close to the ground as possible and me still able to get the wheel on and off. That lets me sit indian-style and I can slide my legs and feet under the tire. That's kind of hard to describe, too, but then I can use my ankles and leg muscles to help raise and lower the wheel as needed while using my hands to line all the junk up and get it back together.
varyder
Posted 2014-05-25 6:19 PM (#157691 - in reply to #155973)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I don't have it very high, it's high enough to allow the axle to slide in.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2014-05-26 8:34 AM (#157704 - in reply to #156404)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
lstayner - 2014-05-16 7:54 AM

Arkainzeye - 2014-05-16 5:56 AM

Been there done that on 2 bikes. It is not the same. They didn't improve tire wear and they didn't ride any better.

I have then on my 2011 vision front and rear.. (rear with a car tire) and i have no issues at any speed at all.. )
Vladezip
Posted 2014-05-26 8:25 PM (#157726 - in reply to #155973)

I have logged about 800 miles so far with the centramatics on front and rear and can say I'm pleased with my purchase. From my standpoint the low speed cornering has improved significantly and inspires confidence in addition to cornering at speed in the twisties. My interstate speed is 80-85 mph consistently and I have had to look down at the speedometer/RPMs on more then one occasion because it felt as though I was going slower due to reduced vibration.

Too early to tell if the tire wear will improve. We will just have to see about that one Vlad.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™