You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Attaching lower wind deflectors?....Using double-sided tape?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

Lotzafun
Posted 2008-08-21 2:43 PM (#16611)
Subject: Attaching lower wind deflectors?....Using double-sided tape?

Iron Butt

Rockford, IL
Was poking around some old posts and came across a post about the best way to attach the lower wind deflectors. Whether to screw or not screw or trust the tape that comes with the kit or get 3M tape and so on.

Having been in the collision repair industry for what seems forever I know some tricks when it comes to dealing with two-sided tape

3M makes a product called Automotive Adhesion Promoter. The 3M part number is 06396

Here is the 3M product description::
"3M 06396 Adhesion Promoter, 2.5cc per packet, 25 packets/box. 3M Adhesion Promoter 06396 is a liquid primer used for enhancing adhesion of 3M Acrylic Foam Tapes for interior and exterior trim applications. Specifically formulated to be used with 3M Acrylic Foam Tape for automotive applications. 06396 is often used with low-surface energy plastics such as TPO, PPO, PP, PC, PC + ABS, etc.). Since formulations and surface energies can vary for these types of materials, each application should be verified through testing. 06396 is supplied in an easy-to-use sponge applicator packet. The liquid contents of the packet should be completely used as soon as possible after opening. Apply promoter only to the areas that will be fully covered with tape. The primer should be dry before applying tape. For best results, apply tape immediately after primer application or no more than one hour after primer application. Be sure the primed surfaces remains free from contaminants prior to tape application."

Basically it is a small yellow sponge that comes in a towlette type package. You simply tear the package open and take the sponge and rub it where you are attaching the tape. It does tend to be a bit messy, almost a bit "glue-like". If you want to keep from making a mess you can use masking tape and tape off the area you want to use it on. When they say "completely used as soon as possible" they mean it. Once the package is opened you probably only have about 1.5-2 minutes before it evaporates. So you want to make sure you have everything ready to go.

You can buy these at almost any auto paint supply store. I've even seen O'Reilly's Auto carry them. About the only drawback is I'm not sure if individual packages are available, I've only seen this product available by the case. They come 25 packages to a case and usually run about $25-$30 or so. Which when you think about it...is a small price to pay to keep something from coming loose while cruising along. However I think if you ask the store maybe they might have an open box in stock and sell you one or two individual packages for a few dollars.

We use this stuff whenever we attach anything to a vehicle. Use it with nameplates, side mouldings, weatherstrips and so on. We have a Lifetime Warranty on our repairs and we never had to deal with something attached with double-sided tape coming loose.

The nice thing is if you ever decide to remove whatever you are attaching all you need is a source of heat, like a heat gun, and some fishing line. Clean off the residue and ready to go. A great alternative to drilling holes.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
okthenbye
Posted 2008-08-23 12:05 AM (#16732 - in reply to #16611)
Subject: Re: Attaching lower wind deflectors?....Using double-sided tape?

Cruiser

Stockton, Ca.
The double stick pads that come with the loweer wind deflectors are as strong as any epoxy that I have worked with. When applying them it is critical to have the surface clean, Use the alcohol pads supplied in the package asfter cleaning. Once the double stick pads are applied to the deflectors leave them in the sun for about 20 minutes before applying to the bike. Carefully line them up them press with about 25+ pounds of pressure for about 15 seconds, then don't adjust the deflectors or ride the bike for at least 24 hours. After that they are set very well. They don't budge and the deflectors are great on a hot eay keeping the legs cool, and great wind protection on cooler days. I definately recommend putting them on.
Lotzafun
Posted 2008-08-24 2:05 PM (#16813 - in reply to #16611)

Iron Butt

Rockford, IL
I agree...the tape that comes with the wind deflectors is probably some of the strongest holding tape available. However when I was looking thru old posts the other day I did come across one where someone stated that they lost one of the deflectors...blew right off. Since this sounds like it was a one time occurence its possibly some type of "application error"... or translated...someone perhaps in a bit of a hurry to test them out prior to the 24hr waiting period.

But anyways...while I did start the post referring to wind deflectors I wanted to point out that that the wipes can be used for just about any application anywhere. Use it with two-sided tape, velcro or anything to anything. Heck we use it when reattaching/glueing a rear view mirror back on a windshield !! Its a good cheap product that does work very well.

If you don't use it there probably won't be a problem. But using it pretty much eliminates any chance of any problems. Hmmm...would even say that using the wipes would probably eliminate the 24 hour wait on the wind deflector install.

As mentioned...you can probably find this at almost any auto paint supply. However if you can't get your hands on some for whatever reason just PM me and I'll drop a package or two in the mail to you...no charge...just helping a fellow rider.

1atom12
Posted 2008-08-24 6:25 PM (#16826 - in reply to #16813)

Tourer

Atlanta Area
Lotzafun - 2008-08-24 2:05 PM

I agree...the tape that comes with the wind deflectors is probably some of the strongest holding tape available. However when I was looking thru old posts the other day I did come across one where someone stated that they lost one of the deflectors...blew right off. Since this sounds like it was a one time occurence its possibly some type of "application error"... or translated...someone perhaps in a bit of a hurry to test them out prior to the 24hr waiting period.

But anyways...while I did start the post referring to wind deflectors I wanted to point out that that the wipes can be used for just about any application anywhere. Use it with two-sided tape, velcro or anything to anything. Heck we use it when reattaching/glueing a rear view mirror back on a windshield !! Its a good cheap product that does work very well.

If you don't use it there probably won't be a problem. But using it pretty much eliminates any chance of any problems. Hmmm...would even say that using the wipes would probably eliminate the 24 hour wait on the wind deflector install.

As mentioned...you can probably find this at almost any auto paint supply. However if you can't get your hands on some for whatever reason just PM me and I'll drop a package or two in the mail to you...no charge...just helping a fellow rider.

The reason that person had problems with the wind deflector blowing off was that the deflector supplier mistakenly included regular 3M body tape and not the 3M VHB (Very High Bond). I have not heard of any more deflectors being blown off since Victory corrected this situation...

Edited by 1atom12 2008-08-24 6:26 PM
CoolHandLuke
Posted 2008-08-25 11:41 AM (#16903 - in reply to #16611)

Iron Butt

, FL United States
Well i don't want to start a posting war here BUT let me describe the problem I'm having.
I'm installing the lower wind deflectors myself. I have followed the instructions to the letter. My left side lower is stuck on like it won't ever come off. The right side lower has come off twice! I have been fortunate to have caught it before it comes completely loose & falls off. After the RS lower came off the last time, I peeled the 3M tape completely off the mounting brackets to start over and found that the brackets were sent to me opposite of where they should be (the Upper Right labeled bracket was on the bottom & the Lower Right bracket was on the top! WTF,over?) Apparently the idiot that was assembling the parts for shipping got them backwards!
I will get some of the 3M AutomotiveAdhesionPromoter pads, some REAL 3M VHB tape & re-apply them. I will also wait AT LEAST 24 hrs if not 48 before tightening the lower to the brackets. I hope it "sticks" this time.

Edited by CoolHandLuke 2008-08-25 11:43 AM
sandman
Posted 2008-08-25 5:14 PM (#16918 - in reply to #16611)

Cruiser

rhode island
Ditto what luke said.

Edited by sandman 2008-08-25 5:14 PM
CoolHandLuke
Posted 2008-08-28 10:12 AM (#17095 - in reply to #16813)

Iron Butt

, FL United States
Lotza.. you forgot to mention how "sticky" that adhesion promoter is. Wow.almost stuck my fingers together like Superglue lol
Re-applied the RtSide mounting brackets yesterday afternoon b4 the rains came.Will leave it alone 'til Friday, then put the lower deflector back on & tighten it down.
Hope it stays put this time. Will post later on the results.
Fastfred
Posted 2008-09-03 9:34 PM (#17497 - in reply to #16611)
Subject: RE: Attaching lower wind deflectors?....Using double-sided tape?

Cruiser

mansfield, MA United States
WOW coolhandluke you hit it on the head. I bought the wind deflectors to put on my new Vision. After cleaning the surface and putting the tape on I pushed for a good 5 min to get it on the bike.
i didn't even look at it for 48 hours! The edges had pealed away from the fender on the right side. I had to peal them off before they fall off. after reading your post I too pealed the tape back. And yes the "UR" was on the bottom and the "LR" was on the top. Now I have no 3m VHB tape to re-install it and my local dealer that I bought it from tells me they don't sell it. I will change it and try and find the tape on line.
okthenbye
Posted 2008-09-04 12:54 AM (#17503 - in reply to #16611)

Cruiser

Stockton, Ca.
Fast Fred, The kit instructions came with part numbers for the replacement tapes. If you need the part numbers let me know I saved the install instructions. Not at home traveling on business this week but I am sure I still have the part numbers. In the instructions it says to line the deflectors up before peeling the tape coating off. That insures that the mounts were lining up correctly on the left and right sides. No troubles yet, mine are still holding tight. I have only ridden about 200 miles since installing them but most of that was at highway speeds. I suppose time will tell if the tape is really good or not.
CoolHandLuke
Posted 2008-09-04 7:43 AM (#17506 - in reply to #16611)

Iron Butt

, FL United States
I did a Labor Day weekend run from Jacksonville,Fl to Charleston,SC & back. Aprox 750 miles & the RS lower is stuck on like it won't EVER come off (this time). Most of the trip was on the "SLAB" I-95 @ 75 mph or better.
Fastfred, I found 3M Super Strength tape & 3M Automotive Adhesion Promoter pads @ a NAPA store & that's what's holding the RS lower on now.
Fastfred
Posted 2008-09-04 8:13 AM (#17508 - in reply to #16611)

Cruiser

mansfield, MA United States
Thank you. I was reading over on THEVMC board and they got the 3m VHB tape at Wal-Mart. I will try both.
jglass
Posted 2008-09-06 3:20 PM (#17599 - in reply to #16611)

Puddle Jumper

I've had my deflectors on several weeks now with no problem. I cleaned the surface well & waited the 24 hrs. I have to say they do really help a lot.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™