You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

POLARIS CAUSING H-D SOME CONCERN
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

SteveS
Posted 2014-07-22 1:50 PM (#163506)
Subject: POLARIS CAUSING H-D SOME CONCERN

Cruiser

Danbury, Connecticut
Just came upon this, Polaris stock up big while Harley stocks slide backwards-
Harley-Davidson Upstaged by Polaris in Motorcycle Sales -- Update
9:26a ET July 22, 2014 (Dow Jones) Print

Harley-Davidson Upstaged by Polaris in Motorcycle Sales -- Update
By Joshua Jamerson
Harley-Davidson Inc. reported disappointing retail sales of its motorcycles in the second quarter even as smaller rival Polaris Industries Inc. posted a strong showing.
Milwaukee-based Harley, the dominant supplier of heavyweight motorcycles in the U.S., reported a 30% rise in profit, reflecting higher profit margins and a rise in shipments to dealers for sales in the months ahead. In the second quarter, Harley dealers world-wide sold 90,218 new Harley motorcycles in the quarter, barely changed from a year earlier.
The company blamed bad weather in parts of the U.S. and said some customers apparently held off purchases because they were waiting for new models. Harley now expects its shipments to grow between 3.5% and 5.5% this year, down from an earlier forecast of 7% to 9%.
Harley said its share of the market for new heavyweight motorcycles with engines of 601 cubic centimeters or greater slipped to about 50% in the quarter from 53% a year earlier. But the company said it believed "the underlying demand fundamentals of the business remain intact." It cited "a strong response" to new Rushmore models and new Street models, which began appearing in showrooms in late June.
Polaris, which posted a 21% increase in second-quarter profit, touted a big increase in sales of its recently relaunched Indian heavyweight motorcycle brand. Polaris said sales at its motorcycles division more than doubled to $103.1 million.
Harley's profit came to $354.2 million, or 1.62 per share, up from $271.7 million, or $1.21 a share, a year earlier. Wall Street expected earnings of about $1.47 per share in the latest quarter, according to FactSet.
Harley's revenue, including motorcycles and financial services, grew 12% to $2 billion.
Minneapolis-based Polaris, which also makes snowmobiles and all-terrain vehicles, reported net income of $96.9 million, or $1.42 per share, up from $80.0 million, or $1.13 per share. Sales increased 20% to $1.01 billion.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
YENRABSRIDE
Posted 2014-07-22 8:24 PM (#163512 - in reply to #163506)
Subject: Re: POLARIS CAUSING H-D SOME CONCERN

Cruiser

CASTRO VALLEY, CA United States
So HD sells over 90,000 bikes in 1 quarter, whereas Polaris sells about 20,000 bikes in 1 year. It's easy to have good sales numbers when sales start at zero. IMO, any motorcycle company would love to have HD numbers, especially their profit margins. How many FZ-09s Yamaha have to sell to make the profit HD makes on 1 Street Glide?
RedRider
Posted 2014-07-23 4:28 AM (#163518 - in reply to #163506)

Visionary

Interesting. Always like to see Polaris do well.
This like seeing an ant carry this big piece of material and compared to it's size it's amazing but then you see an elephant moving teak logs.

Mike's HD in New London, CT just had a big HD sale going on. You got what you paid on a trade in. A coworker traded his '10 with 20k for $18,500 and he paid $20k brand new but it needed tires and a couple little things. Ever see a Victory dealer do that? Many I know don't even want trade ins so they offer you crap except M.O.M.s.
varyder
Posted 2014-07-23 5:33 AM (#163520 - in reply to #163506)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
It will only cause HD concern when Victory/Indian sustains and gains and Harley continues to decline. We are in an up and down market and with HD's name and the fact they've reinvented themselves to follow the Asian bikes with water-cooled, etc, they will maintain as they always have. We need to see the complete pie chart not just three slices. While Victory/Indian is doing well, I think they are taking up the space the Asian bikes are giving up. HD has always waned up and down. I don't think HD is any more concerned now than they were 16 years ago.
Oldman47
Posted 2014-07-23 1:28 PM (#163535 - in reply to #163518)

Tourer

Central Illinois

RedRider - 2014-07-23 4:28 AM Interesting. Always like to see Polaris do well. This like seeing an ant carry this big piece of material and compared to it's size it's amazing but then you see an elephant moving teak logs. Mike's HD in New London, CT just had a big HD sale going on. You got what you paid on a trade in. A coworker traded his '10 with 20k for $18,500 and he paid $20k brand new but it needed tires and a couple little things. Ever see a Victory dealer do that? Many I know don't even want trade ins so they offer you crap except M.O.M.s.

I don't know what kind of dealers you have out your way but I traded a 2011 HD Road Glide, the now discontinued fixed fairing HD, for a '13 Vision and only gave them 4k to move up by 2 years. What I got was a very nice bike, a $500 cash rebate to reduce my 4k to only 3.5k and a new warranty when the HD warranty had expired. That is just the easily quantified benefits. Some other benefits include my perspective of a better performing and much more reliable touring bike in the Vision. I now have well over 15k miles on my year old Vision and have had no reason to reconsider my faith in the Vision. It is performing up to expectations for me. This was not a special promotional sale, it was just me dealing directly with the dealership owner over more than 6 weeks time while he tried to get the model, year and color that I wanted. Yes he willingly took on looking for exactly the bike I wanted and then ordered one from MaVic while having nothing more than my word that I would buy it. I even took my HD on a road trip while we were talking and it did not affect the deal at all. I have never dealt with MOMS but I am morally certain they are not the only decent Vic dealer out there.

rcb
Posted 2014-07-24 11:51 AM (#163556 - in reply to #163506)

Puddle Jumper

So. Indiana
I think once HD drops their price on their new smaller bikes, they will do well with them. I personally think the blast was a great intro bike at the right price. As baby boomers retire, I think the big ticket bikes will have less market. Not no market, just less market. HD is putting its nose into the wind. I'd like to see Vic do the same.

What intrigues me most about the vision is that they are not trying to make it be something else. I'd like to see more like that.
Oldman47
Posted 2014-07-24 5:04 PM (#163560 - in reply to #163506)

Tourer

Central Illinois
RCB, I doubt that Victory is wrong. HD may or may not give any discounts on the "street" bikes but they will never get away from the fact that a street does not match their image in the US. A street is water cooled and is not going to reflect traditional HD values. To me that means they will never appeal to traditional HD buyers but might appeal to riders from other backgrounds. Is the street likely to appeal to you? I doubt it. In the US market I expect the street to be an almost total failure. It will appeal to so few people that its ability to compete with the Honda 1300 cc model (ST1300) or the Yamaha 1300 cc (RSTD) model will be the real question and it will quickly lose those battles. What is left? All that I see is the bike's name brand. How much is that worth for a totally new model? It is a question that we all get to watch being played out in the next few months but I expect yet another disaster to play out for HD sales.
XRsteve
Posted 2014-07-24 8:22 PM (#163569 - in reply to #163506)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
Don't fret for Harley too much. Like YENRABSRIDE said Harley still sold over 90,000 bikes in the quarter, where as we NEVER know how many Polaris is selling BECAUSE THEY WON"T TELL NUMBERS !!!!!!! It's easy to increase percentages on numbers like 3000 in a quarter, Polaris said something about 107% increase well damn that's because they just dropped Indian in the market and people have been waiting 50 years for a Indian with a proper engine unique to the bike. I can't wait for the year Polaris sells 30,000 bikes in a year 50/50 split for Victory and Indian now that would be bragging rights. However even this news is good, the mothership is making money........
RedRider
Posted 2014-07-25 4:39 AM (#163583 - in reply to #163506)

Visionary

I just read in the NY Post an article where HD is saying much of the problem is outsourced vendors in other countries for parts on that new beginners bike they have. "Growing pains."

The important thing is that Polaris/Victory/Indian is growing not who is suffering I think.
XRsteve
Posted 2014-07-25 6:37 AM (#163584 - in reply to #163583)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
RedRider - 2014-07-25 4:39 AM

I just read in the NY Post an article where HD is saying much of the problem is outsourced vendors in other countries for parts on that new beginners bike they have. "Growing pains."

The important thing is that Polaris/Victory/Indian is growing not who is suffering I think.

Yes I agree, PIV just keeep growing..........
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™