You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Shifting problem, anyone else?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

divesharc
Posted 2014-09-12 4:01 PM (#165851)
Subject: Shifting problem, anyone else?

Cruiser

VA
Looking for some help. I have a 2008 Vision, with about 32K on it, mostly highway miles. Just recently, and not every time, I have started to notice something possibly wrong with the transmission. When I shift down into first, I always could feel I was in first because of reaching "the floor." The shifter stiffens went I was firmly into first, and I knew I was there. Recently, I am in first gear, but it feels spongy, in other words, the shifter still goes down, like I am not in first, but it also isn't shifting. Anyone else had this problem?

Only once have I not been seated firmly into first gear. I was actually in second, and when I realized it, from a dead stop, I tried to downshift into first and it took several attempts.

The other thing that happened was that I was in first gear, pulled up to the pump, and could NOT get into neutral. Usually, I have had to rev the rpms a little, and it would slip right into neutral. I tried 5 times to get into neutral, and could not. I turned it off, filled it, then started it back up, and I was able to get into neutral.

It's a weird problem, and as I said, it's not all the time. What I have troubleshot so far, is that I first checked the oil level. It was at full, and so I have actually drained a small amount (could a full oil cause this?). A few months ago I flushed, and replaced the hydraulic clutch and brakes. The clutch seems to be fully disengaged, so don't think this is the problem, and I would think shifting up would be affected as well. The only thing I can think of is the synchro-mesh in the transmission, but I am in no way an expert.

Also, I lives over 100 miles from my dealer, and so I am trying to see if anyone else has had this problem before I go to them. I commute to work on the bike, so if I have to do it, I will, but it's some serious butt-pain for me if it turned out to be something minor, or a known quirk with the transmission.

Thanks in advance for any replies. (And to head off the inevitable, I use Mobil 1 synthetic, and I just changed it).

Marc

Edited by divesharc 2014-09-12 4:04 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
lennyb
Posted 2014-09-12 5:02 PM (#165852 - in reply to #165851)
Subject: Re: Shifting problem, anyone else?

Iron Butt

Perry Hall, MD
Are you due for an oil change, and (bite my tongue) are you using a semi-synthetic?
varyder
Posted 2014-09-12 6:17 PM (#165854 - in reply to #165851)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Where are you in VA?
Nozzledog
Posted 2014-09-12 11:01 PM (#165858 - in reply to #165851)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Is the Mobil 1 designed for a wet clutch (JASO MA rated)?
divesharc
Posted 2014-09-13 7:11 AM (#165860 - in reply to #165851)

Cruiser

VA
I really don't think the oil is the issue. It is specifically for vtwins, and I've used it for several years. Also, I don't think it is a clutch problem since shifting up is not really a problem.

varyder, I live in Fredericksburg, and my dealer, since Katlin shut down, is in Maryland. There is another dealer is Woodbridge, but they don't have a great service department. It would be a well before they even treat ride the bike. Not really thrilled about that, and not sure I would trust their opinion.

Edited by divesharc 2014-09-13 7:12 AM
varyder
Posted 2014-09-13 8:28 AM (#165861 - in reply to #165851)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

I was hoping you were closer, but I remember now, we have talked before, getting older and forgetting more. I wanted to take a look at it just to understand the actual problem. Hopefully, KevinX will chime in but I think you're having problems internal, not related to oil. However, I would shift (no pun intended) to a semi-synthetic just to see if it makes a difference. I use Lucas 10w40 MC semi-syn and it seems to work fine. I don't know if it's age related, but the shifting doesn't get notchy any more at the end of the oil life like it used to. I had run a full-syn up until about 65,000 miles ago when the clutch seemed to be slipping on hard pulls. It's back solid as a rock again, even with 165,000 on the original clutch. As I mentioned, shifting would get notchy at the end of the oil life, but it doesn't any more that I notice. There is a weird thing that will happen occasion is that when I have it in first and I'm not sure I'll hit the shifter again to make sure and it will ratchet down like it's going into first again. It doesn't seem to harm anything, but I suspect something is worn so I make sure and make a mental note when I'm in first so I don't do that much.

Yours sound like something is looser than it should be, things are aligned, but when it is out of alignment it will cause the problem you say. I've never dug into the Vic trans so I don't know what I'm talking about directly, but the symptoms are common with other applications. You have a few choices; take your chance and hope nothing breaks and jams up when you're moving. Change your oil to a semi-syn and see if there is a difference. Or, either you or a tech rip into the assembly and see if there is anything amiss. It's going to rain later today but if you wanted to meet up around Ashland in the evening, if it's not raining, I'll be glad to ride up and give you my opinion.

Edited by varyder 2014-09-13 8:31 AM
witchbiker
Posted 2014-09-14 8:13 AM (#165876 - in reply to #165851)

Cruiser

Barefoot Bay, FL United States
I have a 2008 Vision Tour Premium, and have had shifting issues from DAY 1. It will NOT shift into neutral at idle after a stop...period. Once shut off, it goes into neutral just fine. Getting it into neutral is the only real problem I have had, though. Just seems a little odd that it will NOT shift into neutral when stopped and idling. I end up going from 1st to 2nd, then back to 1st, trying to hit 'N'.
witchbiker
witchbiker
Posted 2014-09-14 8:14 AM (#165877 - in reply to #165851)

Cruiser

Barefoot Bay, FL United States
I have a 2008 Vision Tour Premium, and have had shifting issues from DAY 1. It will NOT shift into neutral at idle after a stop...period. Once shut off, it goes into neutral just fine. Getting it into neutral is the only real problem I have had, though. Just seems a little odd that it will NOT shift into neutral when stopped and idling. I end up going from 1st to 2nd, then back to 1st, trying to hit 'N'. I now have 53K on the bike, and use Penzoil synth. 10w40.
witchbiker
SteveS
Posted 2014-09-14 9:49 PM (#165882 - in reply to #165877)

Cruiser

Danbury, Connecticut
witchbiker - 2014-09-14 8:14 AM

I have a 2008 Vision Tour Premium, and have had shifting issues from DAY 1. It will NOT shift into neutral at idle after a stop...period. Once shut off, it goes into neutral just fine. Getting it into neutral is the only real problem I have had, though. Just seems a little odd that it will NOT shift into neutral when stopped and idling. I end up going from 1st to 2nd, then back to 1st, trying to hit 'N'. I now have 53K on the bike, and use Penzoil synth. 10w40.
witchbiker

Witchbiker, try gently bringing the rpm up a little while you try for neutral-that helps mine slip in when the oil is used up.
JustBob
Posted 2014-09-14 10:36 PM (#165883 - in reply to #165851)

Cruiser

Extreme Southern, AZ United States
My 2009 had sorta, the same problem Endee up breaking the 2d shift fork. They had never seen or heard about anything like it. The factory sent folks down to look at it. it was taking so long to get it fixe that I just traded it in on my 2013.
Oldman47
Posted 2014-09-15 12:31 AM (#165884 - in reply to #165851)
Subject: RE: Shifting problem, anyone else?

Tourer

Central Illinois

divesharc - 2014-09-12 4:01 PM Usually, I have had to rev the rpms a little, and it would slip right into neutral. I tried 5 times to get into neutral, and could not. I turned it off, filled it, then started it back up, and I was able to get into neutral. It's a weird problem, and as I said, it's not all the time.

Yikes. That really sucks. A tarnny should just respond the same every time in my mind.

Jeddo
Posted 2015-03-18 6:20 AM (#171297 - in reply to #165851)

Puddle Jumper

Thumb, MI United States
My first post and shared thought. My other bike/forum suggested when having similar shifting issues to check for chain tension. If the belt is to tight this may induce tension on gears and prevent smooth/cause not chy/locked shifting. Just a thought.
Jeddo
Posted 2015-03-18 7:36 AM (#171301 - in reply to #165851)

Puddle Jumper

Thumb, MI United States
Deleted

Edited by Jeddo 2015-03-18 7:39 AM
johnnyvision
Posted 2015-03-19 6:01 PM (#171334 - in reply to #165851)

Visionary

could be slave cylinder not pulling in all the way. Maybe your master cylinder is low on fluid.
Its not the OIL
Bohica
Posted 2017-06-20 10:28 AM (#192008 - in reply to #165851)
Subject: RE: Shifting problem, anyone else?

Puddle Jumper

Hello all,
I know it's been a while, but was this issue ever resolved? I just bought a '09 Ness Vision and I am having the same problem with finding neutral. The bike only has 18k miles on it. My gear indicator does some really weird stuff too, which I believe is related. When in first, the indicator will flip flop up and down between 1 & 2. When in 2nd gear, it will do the same. Once I hit 3rd, the indicator works perfectly. Also, when I first turn the key on, the display sometimes shows "R" when in neutral. I have no reverse! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

(IMG_7338.jpg)

(IMG_7338.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_7338.jpg (56KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments IMG_7338.jpg (56KB - 0 downloads)
RedRider
Posted 2017-06-20 10:57 AM (#192009 - in reply to #165851)

Visionary

Bohica, years ago I had a similar problem. I do have reverse. The mech at Higgin's in Barre, MA adjusted something and it has been fine since. Neutral always has been fickle at times.
Bohica
Posted 2017-06-21 8:17 AM (#192013 - in reply to #192009)

Puddle Jumper

Thanks for the reply. I spoke to The Vic Shop yesterday, after trying a few dealers. He told me almost immediately that the shifter ratchet was most likely the problem. So, I'm installing a new one this weekend and we'll see what happens. As far as the display goes, he said that the '09 Vision was pretty much the only bike that had that problem. Has something to do with a bad ground wire on a sensor of some kind. Says it won't hurt anything. He mentioned hat there was at least a Service Bulletin on it, and possibly a recall. If there is a recall, I'll have it fixed. Otherwise, it's staying like it is.
Octane
Posted 2017-06-22 3:45 PM (#192025 - in reply to #192013)

Puddle Jumper

If your shift lever has a lot of lateral / side to side play, it might be that the plastic bushings are worn. I had a similar shifting problem that was resolved by installing these: https://buywitchdoctors.com/p/1434/victory-motorcycle-parts-pedals-p...

....Al
johnnyvision
Posted 2017-06-22 6:13 PM (#192026 - in reply to #165851)

Visionary

08 and 29 have octangot shaft no fix for it. You have to buy a 10 or later shifter of vision or cross country.

Say you don't need the motor running/ Pull in clutch and with hand shit down and see if it goes all the way down. Now holding lever in try shifting up to second.
Maybe your linkage is out of adjustment or has never been set right
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™