You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

TireGard Deluxe - Love It
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

Pops
Posted 2014-10-05 4:13 PM (#167203)
Subject: TireGard Deluxe - Love It

Cruiser

Georgia On My Mind.... United States

For Father's Day, my boys got me a TireGard deluxe TPMS.

Below is the link where I posted some pictures in the Tech section.

I work about 60 hours a week and my riding time is limited right now. Sure is nice to know the tire pressures so I can hop on and ride.

I ain't lazy, just limited time now-a-days.

Mine is super accurate. Maybe I just got lucky but I'm very impressed!

http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18845&po...

Edited by Pops 2014-10-05 4:16 PM

Top of the page Bottom of the page
willtill
Posted 2014-10-05 4:36 PM (#167204 - in reply to #167203)
Subject: Re: TireGard Deluxe - Love It

Visionary

Central Maryland
That is nice, but with a manual pressure check each week; you also get the opportunity to physically examine your tire condition.

This gizmo may lessen the physical inspection of the tire; since you're not going to bend down and check anyway.
Pops
Posted 2014-10-05 7:56 PM (#167205 - in reply to #167203)

Cruiser

I still check my tires. At least now I don't have to loose pressure with a manual gauge check. Plus I like the safety warning alert feature.

I believe the safety alert alone is worth the price of admission.
Vladezip
Posted 2014-10-08 11:55 PM (#167256 - in reply to #167203)

Glendale, AZ United States
From my standpoint, looks like too many doohickies and a custom mount just to be able to check tire pressure instantly vs taking the extra 45 seconds to do it manually. If that monitoring device would keep your tire inflated with a nail in it I would be all for it. As mentioned, a good time to check underneath to see if all is in order like belt, brake pads, leaks, and my atomic muffler bearings of course.

PS: (Stranded on the side of the highway with a flat and a tire pressure reading of zero" Hmmm, no S*** Sherlock. Really?
MaddMAx2u
Posted 2014-10-11 4:04 PM (#167284 - in reply to #167203)

Iron Butt

Orlando, FL
Hey Pops, I have the one by TireGuard that slips in my pocket. I love the damn thing. If others want the excercise of getting on their knees to check pressure, let 'em go for it. I'm surprised those people don't want to ride a 1965 HD with nothing but old school.
Street Eagle
Posted 2014-10-11 7:13 PM (#167287 - in reply to #167203)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
I understand that with the Tireguard, it has to sense wheel movement before it activates. If the bike is on a lift, and the wheels are spun, that this activate it or is a certain speed required?
cw1115
Posted 2014-10-11 7:55 PM (#167288 - in reply to #167203)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
I have the same sensors on my wheels but a keychain receiver. Works great. It buzzes and beeps of you hit preset high or low pressure and displays in half pound increments. It does not display actual temp but will alert to high temp.
The transmitters on the valve go to sleep and you have to ride a couple of minutes or it will display whatever the pressure was when they turned off.
I wouldn't mind getting the one I saw posted on a farm that has a big red light you put on the dash, in his case in the speaker grill to light if low pressure.

Edited by cw1115 2014-10-11 7:58 PM
Arkainzeye
Posted 2014-10-12 6:16 AM (#167290 - in reply to #167203)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwvZ0AD-YAQ

Thay monitor screen looks cheesy..and that rain cover is equally cheesy. I would hate to have to Add air for that setup in this video. Talk about making something harder than it needs to be....

The idea behind this is interesting. But in 22 years of riding I never NEEDED to know my air presauce while riding (or after I already checked it) in the morning...

Edited by Arkainzeye 2014-10-12 6:23 AM
Wedge
Posted 2014-10-12 5:29 PM (#167297 - in reply to #167203)
Subject: RE: TireGard Deluxe - Love It

Cruiser

hey Pops,

I've got a "Saddle Sore 1000" coming up and I like the idea of being able to monitor the pressures while riding.
I recently saw a BMW unit that monitored the pressures in real time. No delay.
I've also heard of other after market products that only update every 5 or 6 minutes. Do you know if the TireGard Deluxe is in real time or has a lag to it?
Pops
Posted 2014-10-12 9:48 PM (#167299 - in reply to #167287)

Cruiser

Street Eagle - 2014-10-11 8:13 PM

I understand that with the Tireguard, it has to sense wheel movement before it activates. If the bike is on a lift, and the wheels are spun, that this activate it or is a certain speed required?

Don't know about a lift, but..

They usually activate upon the motor starting, motor vibration. Sometimes, I just bump the bike in the garage, fuel sloshing, and they turn on. Doesn't take much to activate them.
Pops
Posted 2014-10-12 9:52 PM (#167300 - in reply to #167297)

Cruiser

Wedge - 2014-10-12 6:29 PM

hey Pops,

I've got a "Saddle Sore 1000" coming up and I like the idea of being able to monitor the pressures while riding.
I recently saw a BMW unit that monitored the pressures in real time. No delay.
I've also heard of other after market products that only update every 5 or 6 minutes. Do you know if the TireGard Deluxe is in real time or has a lag to it?

It appears to be "real time". If not, it updates very fast and often.

Will check the manual to see if it states there is any delay.
Wedge
Posted 2014-10-12 11:12 PM (#167301 - in reply to #167203)

Cruiser

Thanks for checking. Might be a winner there.
Street Eagle
Posted 2014-10-13 12:28 PM (#167308 - in reply to #167203)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
Thanks Pop. Very helpful. The write ups I've read lead you to believe that the wheels must be in motion.
bmwrider1954
Posted 2014-10-13 1:07 PM (#167310 - in reply to #167203)

North Billerica, MA
I have the same unit and it works well. The tires do have to be "in motion" to wake up the TPMS sensors on the wheels. This saves battery life. I turn on the monitor then back my bike down a 40 ft. shed path.
By the time I am ready to ride, the sensors have connected and my current tire pressure is displayed.
Usually takes 1 to 3 minutes. If you remove the sensors to air up then reinstall, it usually reads correctly within a minute.

Each sensor takes a user replaceable CR1632 watch battery and the main unit takes a AAA battery.

Simple to install, wireless, and you can swap it out to another bike easily.
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-10-13 6:48 PM (#167315 - in reply to #167203)

Visionary

Its nice you have good kids.
How much air pressure does your gauge say your tires are after s good hour of riding?

I check my tires the first of every month. In thirty days tires will loose two to three pounds. When the temps get go over 95 degrees I check every two weeks and tires will loose three to four pounds. Yes I'm anal but when you get 17 thousand and a tires coast way to much its worth checks.

I have laid on the ground after many hours on the road to find air has gone up 3 psi
Pops
Posted 2014-10-13 7:18 PM (#167316 - in reply to #167310)

Cruiser

bmwrider1954 - 2014-10-13 2:07 PM

I have the same unit and it works well. The tires do have to be "in motion" to wake up the TPMS sensors on the wheels...

Mine is the latest version. The wheels don't have to be in motion. Just lifting the bike off the side stand sometimes "wakes them up".

If that doesn't, a bounce in the saddle usually does.

When you first turn the unit "on" in the garage, the signal strength meter doesn't indicate and the display shows the figures from the last ride. Just bump the bike and both signal strength indicators come on and show the real time-right now figures.
Pops
Posted 2014-10-13 7:24 PM (#167317 - in reply to #167315)

Cruiser

johnnyvision - 2014-10-13 7:48 PM

Its nice you have good kids.
How much air pressure does your gauge say your tires are after s good hour of riding?...

If you will check my original post's link...

http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18845&po...

Those figures are at 75 degrees outside temps. After riding a couple of hours.

Starting out cold that morning, the tires read 40 front and 42 rear (PSI).
diamonbird
Posted 2014-10-14 6:23 AM (#167321 - in reply to #167203)

Cruiser

Mechanicsville, VA United States
I have the Tire Guard also on my bike, I start out at 41 front and 42 rear, after maybe 3 miles the pressure raises to 43 front and 45 rear,as the days goes on the pressures will raise to 45 to 46 front and the rear will go up to as high as 50....now with that said you have to realize that the temp. outside is pretty high(90's) also...on really hot days I have seen pressures as high 48 front and 54 rear but it was really too hot too ride but I had no choice as I was on a trip. One thing I have learn by having the Tire Guard system on my bike though is you should never add air to a hot tire unless the tires pressures are lower then the start(cold) pressure should be. If anything you should add a couple a pounds above the start(cold) pressure if the tires are hot. I hope I'm making sense!? The Tire Guard system lets you know if you're loosing air as you're riding,it's not really there to allow you to be lazy and not check your tires as I would never just jump on my bike and not care about the tires on it as they're the only thing between me and the ground. The reason I bought the TGS was I had a flat once while running over 80 mph and didn't know it until it was almost to late to slow down. The bike started fishtailing, scared the crap out of me. You can set your hi and lows pressures and your temps. on these thing so you're more prepared to take corrective action before it's to late.
Pops
Posted 2014-10-14 5:54 PM (#167324 - in reply to #167203)

Cruiser

I think we would all agree that it's best to check your tire pressure before every ride. That's very difficult if you commute.

I once got a small steel staple in a rear tire and it created a slow leak. The small staple was broken and almost hidden in the rubber and I had to spin the wheel around a few times before I located it. I was riding to work with only about 20 PSI in the rear tire before I noticed it.

I've been riding for 44 years and have had one serious, instantaneous rear blow-out where the tire came off the rear wheel. I made it to the shoulder of the road without incident. It was a small miracle. The TPMS would not have helped in this scenario.

I have had two rear tires go bad on a long trip with about one-half of the tread left. Each time the tire developed an unusual flat spot and the cord appeared. I'm thinking the TPMS may have warned me that the tire temp. was rising.

My wife and I travel two-up with about one-hundred pounds of luggage on the Vision. Picture going through rush hour in Atlanta in August with the temp. on the bike's computer indicating 110 degrees. Having the TPMS might just save our lives if we pick-up a small nail, or a tire begins to go bad.

I like to check my tire pressures before each ride. The TPMS makes it easy.

willtill
Posted 2014-10-14 6:23 PM (#167325 - in reply to #167203)

Visionary

Central Maryland
..and Pops, for the scenarios that you painted above; yes... a TPMS is beneficial.

Still need to hunker down and eyeball your tires. Don't get complacent and dismiss that; as you get used to the TPMS.
Wedge
Posted 2014-10-14 9:57 PM (#167328 - in reply to #167203)

Cruiser

Hey Pops, thanks again...Ordered one yesterday. Should be here in time for my 1st Saddle Sore 1000 attempt!
Wedge
Posted 2014-10-20 12:25 AM (#167384 - in reply to #167203)

Cruiser

Hey Pops,
It took me 23 hours to finish my Saddle Sore 1000 this morning at 3:30am! There was definitely stress relief to be able to look at the TireGard on my dash, and monitor pressure and air temps throughout the trip. Thanks again for your post!
Pops
Posted 2014-10-23 8:49 PM (#167448 - in reply to #167384)

Cruiser

Wedge - 2014-10-20 1:25 AM

Hey Pops,
It took me 23 hours to finish my Saddle Sore 1000 this morning at 3:30am! There was definitely stress relief to be able to look at the TireGard on my dash, and monitor pressure and air temps throughout the trip. Thanks again for your post!

Roger that!

How did you mount the monitor?
Fmorin05
Posted 2014-10-27 10:12 PM (#167495 - in reply to #167203)

Puddle Jumper

Houston, TX United States
I've been looking into a TPMS for some time now, so many out there, Question do you think the Cap/Sensors would unbalance my tires?
Wedge
Posted 2014-10-28 12:34 AM (#167496 - in reply to #167203)

Cruiser

Pops, I mounted it to Dragon-bobdesigns windshield bag! The bag comes with a Velcro patch sewn in, and from him I had also gotten the iPhone case, also with Velcro. So I put Velcro on the back of the monitor, velcroed it in the front of the case, which also needed velcro (nice snug fit btw) then stuck the case on the bag. The monitor is so light weight there was none chance of it coming off. My original plan was to use a Ram mount but it didn't arrive in the mail in time for my big ride, so I had to improvise. The Ram style mount that comes with the unit won't fit around my stock handle bars. I think it may be possible to make the "L" bracket, that comes with it work, I just was too knuckleheaded to figure it out quickly.

Fmorin, the manual says the caps won't affect the balance. I've only had them on 1000 miles or so, but I haven't noticed anything unusual in that regard. They are pretty lightweight.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™