You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

1092 miles in 17.5 hours
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

pollolittle
Posted 2015-03-16 9:29 AM (#170256)
Subject: 1092 miles in 17.5 hours

Visionary

Brighton, TN
This is just a mere informal stamp on why I still love my 2008 Memory Maker. Just finished a trip from Memphis to Miami. Right at 1092 miles one way. On the way down I took 2 days to get there and just meandered my way along. If traffic got tight, i turned left or right, so long as I was headed in the general direction. Got to ride some very nice two lane, with logging trucks and normal people (sorta). Stopped in at Daytona Beach and saw the display of Vics and Indians. Sure do wish they would throw a little pizazz on the Vision, keep the look just update the electronics. I like electronics, even if they do go out. But well designed electronics should last quite some time. That's all I saw and thought this might be interesting to come back to. Then finished out day 2 with the ride to Miami.

Return trip - was kinda a mental thing to see if I could squash foam and vinyl for 1092 miles in one sitting. I forgot you gotta refuel, so, just so you know, it can't be done in one sitting. I was able to run all daylight from fill up to fill up, and I was stopping at 200 miles, just so I didn't get caught. I think I was averaging around 68mph during the day and it was all interstate. Then night fell and temp started dropping and made a few unintentional stops of adding clothing and nature calls etc. Once off the freeway, a lot of 45-55-65-55-45 stop and goes. I really need to update my gps maps, I know there was a better way. I guess I thought I was still meandering.

So, I can ramble more later if needed. but here is my basic numbers that I kinda figured out. So, for you math passionate guys if you feel the need to correct please do, cause I'm still tired and running on four hours of sleep.

1092 miles
62.4 mph
Left at 9 am Central and arrived 2:11 am central.

Total miles 2284.3

Main reason for my monologue. Most folks seem to not trust a bike after 20k miles, or they question reliability of the awesome Vic 106. My odometer rolled 90+k on this trip and never a hiccup, gas and go, gas and go, repeat. Turn key on, then off, repeat. Raise windshield, lower windshield, get off my butt on to passenger pad, you get the idea. I'd love to take another trip and just meander, far more fun than the super slab.

Oh yeah, it didn't get washed the entire time, its filthy. I was gonna find some plexus but just couldn't fit it in, so the windshield is extremely dirty.

When I left Memphis, there was still snow on the ground and the temp had climbed into the mid 40's. Didn't get above 50 for the first 200 miles. Not above 60 until Florida line. Rained most of the first day on and off and chilly. Then south Florida weather in the 80's. Return almost the same temps with no rain.

There are other thoughts pondering through my brain but I'm gonna go take a nap.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
willtill
Posted 2015-03-16 9:37 AM (#170257 - in reply to #170256)
Subject: Re: 1092 miles in 17.5 hours

Visionary

Central Maryland
Very nice synopsis of your trip. Is heartening to know that a bike with a lot of mileage; can still do it.
okie vision
Posted 2015-03-16 11:49 AM (#170260 - in reply to #170256)
Subject: RE: 1092 miles in 17.5 hours

Iron Butt

Broken Arrow, OK
pollolittle - 2015-03-16 9:29 AM

I forgot you gotta refuel, so, just so you know, it can't be done in one sitting.

Total miles 2284.3
Good stuff! I'll bet you were grateful for those few needed stops
pollolittle
Posted 2015-03-16 12:19 PM (#170262 - in reply to #170256)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Thanks, the trip down seem to be worse, I started out wearing a full face flip up helmet, which i don't normally cause I'm too hot in it and want to sleep. So, I think the weight was a factor on my noggin and back. when i flipped to the shorty helmet, I could tell the weight was gone. Plus, it was just a cold rainy day, so that didn't help. The second day going down I was in jeans and long sleeve shirt, sun was shining and i got sunburned didn't put the sunscreen on fast enough. Return trip, shorty and same gear in almost the same places. As I've stated before, it seems i sit on two 2x4's and i ache the most right where my butt bones are, I can reproduce the same pressure sitting on the wooden stools in the kitchen. I must not have enough padding in the seat in that area or the frame goes up under me in that same area. I had this same problem before on another 1,000 miler and it always shows up 2 hours into the ride. So, my butt's aching the rest of the way. So, yeah, in a short way of saying it, I was grateful. Maybe somebody smarter than me can figure out how to make it a luscious car seat and so long as you are in decent physical shape, it really isn't that tough. Just no rose smellin time.
Pops
Posted 2015-03-16 6:18 PM (#171264 - in reply to #170256)

Cruiser

Georgia On My Mind.... United States
Great ride! Great story!

lstayner
Posted 2015-03-16 9:04 PM (#171266 - in reply to #170262)

Tourer

Prairie City, IA United States
I understand the butt burn thing. It happened on the Goldwing I had. I spoke with a guy who is a long term rider and runs an upholstery shop. The padding is fine, the problem is as we get older as he put it "men tend to lose there ass causing the tailbone to be exposed". He recommended adding padding to the sides of the seat or take foam out where the tailbone sits. You might get one of those foam exercise matts at Walmart and cut a few style out and see if you can remedy the problem. Once you have a pattern that works for you, take the seat to an upholstery shop you are comfortable with.
pollolittle
Posted 2015-03-17 7:54 AM (#171274 - in reply to #170256)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
lstayner - good idea, but you and my doctor I'm starting to have issues with. Everytime i go see the doc and say something hurts, he says well you've never been 25 before, or 26 before, etc. I'm not even double the age of 25 yet. I still got a few years before that. Maybe its a age thing i don't know.

But, (ha), I don't think it's added pressure to the tailbone, but the sides, so maybe it is the what you call the tailbone. I was thinking about adding foam like you said, so good idea. Sounds like i need to get in the gym and build a little ass, but the wife already says I got plenty, don't know if she was talking about physical or attitude.

So, the Vision seat doesn't bother you?

Edited by pollolittle 2015-03-17 7:55 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™