You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Joy oh joy... exhaust leak
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

willtill
Posted 2015-03-30 7:29 AM (#171529)
Subject: Joy oh joy... exhaust leak

Visionary

Central Maryland
...have had an annoying pop from rollback on throttle; ever since I took my bike in to have the front drive sprocket seal replaced. I know they had to remove at least the rear head pipe to get to it.

Didn't have the popping before I took it in.

Seems a little sooty (hard to tell though) immediately after the head pipe flange. No other leaks discernible anywhere else with the exhaust circuit. Most likely it's inside of the flange itself.

I'm sure they did not replace the head pipe gaskets. I just ordered a replacement set from Lloydz...

Have to do everything myself just to make sure it's done right. Why in the hell cannot a dealer to a good job with bikes. I've so many experiences regarding substandard work with them... not just my Vision but other bikes as well.

This is what has made me into a motorcycle mechanic. Out of necessity. Thankfully I'm sort of mechanically inclined to take care of things like this; but I'd rather be riding than wrenching...

I am NOT taking it back to the dealer. They'll just want to charge me again; for work they should have done correctly the first time.

Edited by willtill 2015-03-30 7:31 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Arkainzeye
Posted 2015-03-30 12:18 PM (#171539 - in reply to #171529)
Subject: Re: Joy oh joy... exhaust leak

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
all the exhaust connection points tight.. i imagine you checked it.. i just wanted to bring it up just in case..
willtill
Posted 2015-03-30 12:26 PM (#171540 - in reply to #171529)

Visionary

Central Maryland
Yes, I checked. Everything appears tight. I do wish it was as easy as tightening up one of the connections. Now I gotta dismantle the entire exhaust system to pull the head pipes and replace the gaskets...
varyder
Posted 2015-03-30 12:28 PM (#171541 - in reply to #171529)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I hesitate to respond since I'm a thread stopper. You may need to loosen things up and realign and tighten. If you don't have the Lloydz gaskets, get those first, remove and replace. While it's not rocket science, I lived with exhaust leaks in mine for the first year or more of ownership. It is the reason why I quit taking it to the dealers. Lloydz gaskets took care of the leak at the port for good. Crimping and misaligned pipes will cause your other leaks, or even the pipe burning through. Also, when I pull apart the pipes, and reinstall I use grease. It will burn off, but it will also allow for easy pull apart the next time.

Now what for it...crickets....
willtill
Posted 2015-03-30 12:49 PM (#171543 - in reply to #171529)

Visionary

Central Maryland
Nah brother... you ain't no "thread stopper". All advice here is appreciated.

Yes; I have ordered new gaskets from Lloydz this morning. Once I have 'em in my grubby hands; I will do the deed...

okie vision
Posted 2015-03-30 7:52 PM (#171549 - in reply to #171529)

Iron Butt

Broken Arrow, OK
I had something to add but just noticed that Chris posted
fnvision
Posted 2015-03-31 12:56 PM (#171558 - in reply to #171529)

Puddle Jumper

Taylorsville, KY
Copper or nickel anti-seize works good for gaskets, creating a better seal and it won't burn like grease. Nickel-ease would be the better option on the exhaust due to the higher temperature.
varyder
Posted 2015-03-31 1:44 PM (#171559 - in reply to #171558)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

fnvision - 2015-03-31 1:56 PM Copper or nickel anti-seize works good for gaskets, creating a better seal and it won't burn like grease. Nickel-ease would be the better option on the exhaust due to the higher temperature.

that would cost more money, wouldn't?  grease is cheap and it does smell and smoke after the first 5 miles...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™