You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Fuel level sending unit
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

GeekVisionRider
Posted 2015-04-02 7:10 PM (#171619)
Subject: Fuel level sending unit

Cruiser

Fredonia, WI United States
2008 Victory Vision- My fuel level reads zero, low fuel. I have a full tank.

I took apart the fuel pump/float assembly and found that the little blue clip that holds the float on is broken. The resistance point is also messed up.

It looks like I need a new assembly. Are there any alternatives to the POS flimsy made $400 Victory part?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Arkainzeye
Posted 2015-04-02 7:38 PM (#171620 - in reply to #171619)
Subject: Re: Fuel level sending unit

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
i could swear i remember this being talked about before and something might have been changed after 08? i know this isnt the first time i heard about this
GeekVisionRider
Posted 2015-04-02 7:59 PM (#171622 - in reply to #171619)

Cruiser

Fredonia, WI United States
I have seen threads about the float, but what I need is the part above the float. Just the arm and connector.
gr8punkin
Posted 2015-04-02 8:02 PM (#171623 - in reply to #171619)

Cruiser

Albuquerque NM
I had the issues with my fuel sending on my 08, and while I don't remember what the float came from I found a core fuel pump with sending at my local auto parts store and they let me have the arm and float from it. I had to bend the rod to match the vision, but ultimately I have a random float in my tank that didn't cost me anything and my fuel gauge is close enough that I know when I need to look for a station. I still reset the trip odometer at each fuel stop and rarely go much more than 200 miles before I fill it up.
johnnyvision
Posted 2015-04-03 6:00 PM (#171635 - in reply to #171619)

Visionary

get a hold of Rylan at The Vic Shop he can help
Mike85thCustoms
Posted 2015-05-09 8:51 PM (#172349 - in reply to #171619)

New user

Hi, I have the same problem, low fuel but tank is full. Any suggestion? I buy today 2008 street premium, but looks guy who sell me bike hide this problem before me...
Mike85thCustoms
Posted 2015-05-09 8:58 PM (#172350 - in reply to #171619)

New user

I find on other forum... Not the same issue but i also have manual for bike so maybe will be better to check myself

"Bought my 08 Vision used. Fuel level never showed over 5/8 full. Since lower fuel levels worked, I lived with it for a year. Finally, on a fill-up, it barely moved off empty. Time to do something. The combination fuel pump/float sender price was almost $400, and if taken to a shop, would likely be another $200-300 in labor.

Here's what I did that resulted in a satisfying solution for me:
1. Bought the shop manual. As it turned out, very much worth the $75 on this very first job. Bought a new o-ring (gasket) to have available if I needed to remove the fuel pump/sender unit.

2. Filled the bike with fuel so I'd know what resistance the sender unit should read.

3. Removed fairings. With the manual, it still took me 3 hours just to get access to the top of the fuel tank where the pump/sender unit is located. Not a job to be taken lightly. The manual has pictures, is pretty good, but did not take me 'all the way'. It was silent on how to remove the speaker volume box. Frustrating but doable.

4. Disconnected the electrical plug and checked resistance on the sender side. Sure enough, it read resistance numbers indicating an empty tank. This told me the problem was not in the dash fuel gauge, but verified the sender was not working. Could be the sender was just not sending the right resistance value, or that the float was physically hung up in the tank, or more likely, that the float was 'gas-logged' and just not able to float any longer.

5. Removed the fuel pump/sender unit. Here again, it's very valuable to have the manual. It reveals one must turn the unit 180 degrees while removing the unit. Not easy to remove and install...PITA actually!

6. Set the unit into a tub of fuel, and sure enough, the float barely moved off the bottom. So where to find a new float? Did a search, but didn't find much.

7. Finally, I found specs for a stewart warner F-385 series float. The entire sender retails for about $30. I couldn't use the entire unit, it was only the float and float rod I needed. The float itself was 2" long and 1.25" in diameter. That was a bit longer than the original, but the float diameter was the same. Decided it would not be too large to fit. Since the attaching rod was also the same diameter as the original, all I needed to do was to bend the new, straight rod, to be identical to the original. That done, it was simple to remove and clip in the new float rod with the new float attached.

8. Verified the resistance values changed appropriately with full movement and then tackled the job of re-installation of the pump/float assembly and the fairings. Again, a major PITA, but doable.

9. Success!! Fuel level at full fuel registered 7/8 full. Not completely full, but according to a Victory employee, typical for the Vision. Job done. Total cost, about $100 and a whole lot of labor and patience. Hope this description can help someone.

Roger, Tucson, AZ
"
Silverhawk
Posted 2016-02-11 11:04 PM (#178722 - in reply to #171619)
Subject: RE: Fuel level sending unit

New user

I know this is an old post but I just wanted to tell everyone that these posts motivated me to take 2008 VV apart and replace the float. It appears to work great now. I will do a test ride tomorrow to find out.
$5.00 is better than spending $400.
Thanks Guys
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™