You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Lower Air Deflectors vs. Trimming Inner Fairing
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

V-rodder
Posted 2015-04-19 2:55 PM (#171975)
Subject: Lower Air Deflectors vs. Trimming Inner Fairing

Cruiser

Anyone have experience with trimming the inner fairings to allow air to pass through?  I am wondering if it works as well as the lower air deflectors for summer riding.

Thanks,

Jim

Top of the page Bottom of the page
okie vision
Posted 2015-04-19 5:17 PM (#171979 - in reply to #171975)
Subject: Re: Lower Air Deflectors vs. Trimming Inner Fairing

Iron Butt

Broken Arrow, OK
I can't see anything working as well as the lowers do.

You might shave some summer heat if you trim away the inner fairings, but that'll make colder weather riding ...... colder!
johnnyvision
Posted 2015-04-19 5:25 PM (#171980 - in reply to #171975)

Visionary

I think AZ victory was or does do it. I did mine on a belt sander. Lot of work to take everything apart. Summer heat is way less and late Oct or November is so so. Am never warm that time of year. I did the oil cooler just enough to allow better air flow thru it

(IMG_0007.jpg)

(IMG_0009.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0007.jpg (141KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0009.JPG (57KB - 0 downloads)
frederick
Posted 2015-07-18 3:44 PM (#173538 - in reply to #171980)

Puddle Jumper

This is a great post I've been looking for this post for the last two months I live in San Diego California and I just road to Palm Desert and it was 118? out. I would like to know how the temperature change on your lower legs have changed. I don't have the outside win deflectors on my bike because I don't like the way they look. But shaving the inside of the fairing seems like a good idea. I do write in the heat and in the cold so I just need some information as possible on how it's working for you this summer.
Thanks for your help I be hoping to see your post soon.
johnnyvision
Posted 2015-07-18 6:53 PM (#173547 - in reply to #171975)

Visionary

Thats my bike in photos. Living in minnesota we do get hot here. 90's and not to often 100's
You still get warm or maybe you would call it hot. It really helps in the summer and believe it or not you feel the heat in late october when you come home at night and its 40 degrees.
You have to take the sides off to unbolt the aluminum panels. Trick unbolt front tip over and you can get at the 10mm bolt on the back side of it.
I used a pencil to draw the lines. I have a cheap belt sander I ground the panels away.
The aluminum is so thin in a blink of a eye its gone. So go slow
Arizona dealer is where I go the idea. Yes I hat the looks of them lowers
blackpearl
Posted 2015-07-20 11:01 AM (#173562 - in reply to #171975)
Subject: RE: Lower Air Deflectors vs. Trimming Inner Fairing

Puddle Jumper

I also trimmed both inner fairings on my '08 vision. About 3/4 inch both sides. Looks very similar to what Johnny did on the right side of his bike. I used a band saw and it was very easy ( other than taking everything apart ). I do not have the lower deflectors. It definitely helped in the hot temps as I live in California. It used to be unbearable if temp over 90 but now it is tolerable. Bike does take a little longer to warm up to operating temp. From everything I've read nothing beats the lower deflectors, but I also don't like the looks and am very satisfied with the trim job that I did. I also went to the auto store and bought some window trim that fit perfect on the edge that I cut. Trimming the inner fairing may not be the perfect solution, but it definitely helps.
wingit3611
Posted 2015-07-21 2:02 PM (#173585 - in reply to #171975)

Cruiser

I just added some Baker Wind Wings. $153. They work well & don't mess the sides of my front panels & will help cut off cold air & rain when need be. They look OK. Could be I'm used to seeing them on Goldwing.
rdbudd
Posted 2015-07-22 12:37 PM (#173659 - in reply to #171979)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
okie vision - 2015-04-19 5:17 PM

I can't see anything working as well as the lowers do.

You might shave some summer heat if you trim away the inner fairings, but that'll make colder weather riding ...... colder!

We just got back home from a 4000 mile trip up to Canada and the Rockies. We left home in 95 degree temps that stayed with us all the way up through Montana, and then rode in temps down to 33 degrees up North.
This was from July 11 through July 22.

The Victory lowers may be ugly, and they may be expensive, but they worked flawlessly to bring in LOTS of cooling air when turned in (almost like not having any fairing lowers at all) and keep out LOTS of cold air and rain when turned out ( gives a pocket of still air). Completely adjustable to fit the need. Worth every penny.

Ronnie
frederick
Posted 2015-07-22 8:34 PM (#173668 - in reply to #173659)

Puddle Jumper

Thank you so much for everybody's input. I will be doing the trimming on the fairings this winter. I been riding in the heat all my life from San Diego to Palm Springs to Arizona. If I can get a little heat off of my legs that's all I need. I do like the idea of the reflectors but I am a cheap bastard.
Fred
2013 victory vision
home made exhaust
timing wheel
fuel controller
top box air filter
modified throttle body
my first bike was a Harley in 1982 it was a 66 shovel
I think the victory vision might be my last bike I love this bike
varyder
Posted 2015-07-23 9:42 AM (#173672 - in reply to #171975)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
JV - can you get pictures that are further away from the sides, I'd like to see what it looks like from a distance. I don't know why I ask, I've taken my uppers off, and never had the lowers. The cutaway I believe will help keep the engine cooler, and maybe bring heat in during the winter time. I've never had the summer heat issues so many complain about, even without the uppers.
Pops
Posted 2015-07-23 8:18 PM (#173682 - in reply to #173672)

Cruiser

Georgia On My Mind.... United States
varyder - 2015-07-23 10:42 AM

...I've never had the summer heat issues so many complain about, even without the uppers.

Same here, no heat concerns.

I rode over eight hours last weekend and the thermometer never got below 100 degrees. That's with the humidity being very high too. I was stuck in heavy traffic also.

I do wear tall, heavy boots. I have long legs and keep my feet kicked out with the heels dug in the front of the soft floor boards when moving fast on long distances.

Like varyder, I don't have any summer heat issues at all.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™