You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Thank goodness for the built in Vision's "tip overs"
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

willtill
Posted 2015-05-24 5:30 AM (#172517)
Subject: Thank goodness for the built in Vision's "tip overs"

Visionary

Central Maryland
I am so embarrassed to post this; because I cannot remember EVER having done this with any motorcycle; past or present. But I thought that I should; as a final condemnation of my stupidity to myself; as well as a helpful warning to others.

I went on a beer run yesterday with my Vision. Got to the beer store and pulled in to a parking spot. Used the tip of my left boot to nick the side stand downward and forward into the extended position.

So I thought.

I then proceeded to lean the bike to the left and unmounted; but while still holding on to the left handlebar with my left hand as I withdrew my right leg over the seat; the bike suddenly leaned further left and fell over on the built in tip overs; with a huge jingling crash as it made contact with the pavement!

I couldn't believe how fast she went over; caught me by complete and utter surprise.

Fueled with adrenaline; I grabbed both handle grips and used my right thigh against the seat to push the bike out of the tipped over position; and redeployed the side stand to park it correctly.

I believe that what happened was that the side stand DID NOT lock firmly into the extended position; and when the full weight of the bide leaned onto it when I dismounted; it pushed the side stand rearward and collapsed; causing the bike to roll further over.

No damage at all to the bike; thanks to the front and rear tip over's embedded into it. No damage at all to the tip overs. Huge damage to my pride. And a lesson firmly learned... "double check" the deployment of the side stand. Always. Do not go by feel.

Edited by willtill 2015-05-24 5:36 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
huts'putt
Posted 2015-05-24 1:14 PM (#172522 - in reply to #172517)
Subject: Re: Thank goodness for the built in Vision's "tip overs"

Cruiser

Racine, WI United States
Oh, the joy of not having the kickstand down and locked. This is usually what happens on the big twin harleys. I had it happen quite a few times when I owned harleys. I learned to rock the bike back and forth a few inches to make sure the kickstand was down properly. I always double check any bike I'm on to make sure things will stay where they should.
DaleS
Posted 2015-05-24 4:24 PM (#172523 - in reply to #172517)

Puddle Jumper

Loveland, CO United States
Glad you're okay. I performed an associated maneuver about six weeks ago. I pulled out of a spot at work that I had backed into. My egress was a right turn to drive down the parking lane, then a sweeping left, thus I pulled the 'retraction of kickstand at 10 mph while making a left turn' maneuver. Yeah, gets your attention to pre-flight procedures. :-)
Street Eagle
Posted 2015-05-24 9:02 PM (#172527 - in reply to #172517)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
That's why I don't drink anymore and also the reason why I have my Vision
willtill
Posted 2015-05-25 6:06 AM (#172535 - in reply to #172517)

Visionary

Central Maryland
Wasn't drinking when it happened. Don't try to make a connection that didn't exist.

Edited by willtill 2015-05-25 6:06 AM
Fmorin05
Posted 2015-05-25 7:55 AM (#172538 - in reply to #172517)
Subject: RE: Thank goodness for the built in Vision's "tip overs"

Puddle Jumper

Houston, TX United States
This happen to me awhile back when I had my Nomad 1600, pulled up to the store, placed it in neutral, turn off the ignition started to dismount down goes the bike I completely forgot to engage the kick stand. Learned my lesson very quickly, always double check.
el spanky
Posted 2015-05-25 9:48 PM (#172546 - in reply to #172517)

Cruiser

Victoria Tx, TX United States
Good to hear your ok!! I had to use mine 2x... SHHHH Don't tell anyone!! BIG reason I bought the Vision over The CCT!!
Vladezip
Posted 2015-05-25 11:36 PM (#172547 - in reply to #172517)

Glendale, AZ United States
I am glad to hear you are ok. I recently totaled my 2009 VV this past December by going down at 40mph in an intersection and dumping the scooter in an effort to try to avoid contact with a vehicle making a left hand turn this past December. The typical story of a split second response of grabbing a hand full of brakes, locking up the front/rear, and dumping the bike on the right side, CLASSIC. I sustained a tibial/plateau fracture and a broken wrist, but I am convinced it would have been much worse without the tip over protection. I now have a 2011 VV with ABS, which replaced my 09 in the garage and celebrated my return to motorcycling by doing the "Bun Burner Gold" with my brother on his HD Roadglide, but we will not hold that against him

I am sure folks will chime in and proceed to share how "THEY" could have avoided the collision, which at the end of the day will not mount to anything as far as I'm concerned. People who tell you they never "dropped" a scooter are either lying to you or do not ride. Unfortunately, the same can be said about accidents that do happen to novice/well seasoned riders alike, which was my first and hopefully my last in 20 years of motorcycling. One thing I can say is I am guilty of is being complacent and overly confident in my skills set, which becomes a liability and a reality check in time. It just takes dropping the scooter or a close call to say to yourself "Hey dummy, get your head in the game here buddy."

Also, please note VV riders do not get embarrassed and we do have tough skin since we do ride the "Jetsons" bike and could really care less what other folks think about our scooter choice. Vlad.
Rollin'
Posted 2015-05-25 11:43 PM (#172548 - in reply to #172517)

Iron Butt

, WI

Works well on rocks also. Not a scratch!!

okie vision
Posted 2015-05-26 7:10 AM (#172549 - in reply to #172517)

Iron Butt

Broken Arrow, OK
Tip over stories, could be an endless thread on its' own. Coming out unscathed is all we can hope for!
Vladezip
Posted 2015-05-26 11:17 PM (#172563 - in reply to #172548)

Glendale, AZ United States
Rollin' - 2015-05-25 10:43 PM

?

It appears the VV has some solid off road capabilities. Impressive. I wonder what the dual sport folks thought when they saw the big bohemuth in the boonies. They must of thought you were crazy.
Thanks for sharing, Vlad.
Rollin'
Posted 2015-05-28 7:34 AM (#172579 - in reply to #172563)

Iron Butt

, WI

Vladezip - 2015-05-26 11:17 PM Rollin' - 2015-05-25 10:43 PM

?

It appears the VV has some solid off road capabilities. Impressive. I wonder what the dual sport folks thought when they saw the big bohemuth in the boonies. They must of thought you were crazy. Thanks for sharing, Vlad.

It was part of an IBA ride last year. It was an adventure - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24864342

Big Steve
Posted 2015-05-29 5:22 AM (#172590 - in reply to #172517)

Puddle Jumper

Cornwall England
After the first time I had the side stand fold up on me I learnt to park the bike in gear, never happened again. The tipovers have saved me from a couple of very stupid schoolboy errors in the past
DSmith
Posted 2015-05-29 7:38 AM (#172591 - in reply to #172590)

Cruiser

Bainville, & Mesa, AZ, MT
There is an easier way to pick up the Vision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y5XS4SAqsY
Fmorin05
Posted 2015-05-29 9:09 PM (#172594 - in reply to #172517)

Puddle Jumper

Houston, TX United States
Great video. I've always heard you can stand the Bike back up in that position using your throttle, but never have seen it. Thanks
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™