You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Engine Light
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

Fmorin05
Posted 2015-06-04 8:52 PM (#172678)
Subject: Engine Light

Puddle Jumper

Houston, TX United States
Started my Bike up this morning, hesitated a little, like a low battery type of start up. But it started, once on the road my Engine light came on twice for about 1-2 seconds, I have about 15.000 miles on it same battery.
While on the road battery charging indicates ~ 13.5+, while in idle position battery charging indicates ~ 12.5+.
Any Thoughts/Suggestions?

2010 Victory Vision

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
wedgebolt
Posted 2015-06-05 7:12 AM (#172679 - in reply to #172678)
Subject: RE: Engine Light

Puddle Jumper

Savannah, GA United States
I had the same thing happen to my 09. In my case it was the voltage regulator. When it happened a second time I noticed the volt gauge was close to over charging. My light came on for about 2 seconds each time. Also check your battery terminals and make sure they are tight. I talked with KevinX about this issue years back and he said a week battery can cause issues as well. I work on military equipment. Some of our ECMs will throw warning lights of all kinds if the voltage drops to 9. I am on a coffee break and rambling. Any way good luck and let us know what you find out.
Ahhnuld
Posted 2015-06-05 8:04 AM (#172680 - in reply to #172678)

Puddle Jumper

I agree on the weak battery. Same symptom on the Harley when cranking amps are below normal levels, but voltage shows a full charge. At some point it will crap out and not turn over the engine.
rdbudd
Posted 2015-06-05 9:49 AM (#172681 - in reply to #172680)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Sure could be a battery getting weak. A voltage reading while the alternator is running doesn't tell you much about battery condition, and neither does a static voltage reading reading across the terminals with the bike at rest.

You have to see the voltage with a load on it.

Connect a voltmeter across the battery terminals and watch the voltage as you crank the bike. If it goes below 12.5 while cranking, your battery is losing its cranking ability. It may still charge and show full voltage, but the cranking amps aren't sufficient anymore.

Ronnie
johnnyvision
Posted 2015-06-05 5:51 PM (#172687 - in reply to #172678)
Subject: Re: Engine Light

Visionary

if battery goes below 11.5v when starting then its bad. Battery should read 12.5 when charged
Fmorin05
Posted 2015-07-05 7:05 PM (#173201 - in reply to #172678)

Puddle Jumper

Houston, TX United States
Hey Guys, sorry for the delay been out of state for awhile.
Got to ride my Bike today to work, Engine Light never came back on, will run for the next couple of days to see what happens, thanks for the responses.
NoMoHD
Posted 2015-07-17 5:28 PM (#173527 - in reply to #172678)

Puddle Jumper

Carrollton, TX
10.5 vdc min when cranking. I Had an intermittant check engine light but was high volts. 15 plus when riding. would drop to 13.5 when I would apply the brakes. Looked like the bike was running from the alternator only. I thought regulator also or a problem with regulator sensing. Grabbed each battery terminal & no movement. So when I got home I put a wrench on the battery lugs. The screws were barely tight. Whoever had installed the Battery Tender cable assy had put the tender terminals between the cable & battery terminals. A little corrosion had built up & now it wasn't working correctly. Cleaned the cable ends, battery lugs, and installed the Battery Tender harness (with new smaller terminals) on top of the battery cables. No more problems

Edited by NoMoHD 2015-07-17 5:29 PM
Nozzledog
Posted 2015-07-17 6:31 PM (#173530 - in reply to #172678)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
If the light is coming on while riding, It may be a loose connection. The Vision is notorious for that, even had a Victory Service Notification on the early models. I think they changed a lockwasher at the main circuit breaker, down by the battery.
marvin24
Posted 2015-07-17 9:51 PM (#173533 - in reply to #172678)

Puddle Jumper

I had some work done on my bike, long story short, the amp gauge was moving around and the engine lite came on, the tech that worked on it left the battery cables loose, check there first, then the regulator

Ride safe
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™