You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Tag A Long trailer box
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

BreadmanRo
Posted 2015-06-28 3:49 PM (#173049)
Subject: Tag A Long trailer box

Cruiser

Stockton, California

Has anyone tried this on their Vision? If so, How do you like it? How much can you carry? How much weight can you put in and on top of it? What do you like / dislike about it? I do have a concern about how much of the rear lights it covers up but you can put LEDs on the back of the trunk. 

Edited by BreadmanRo 2015-06-28 3:53 PM

(tagalong.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments tagalong.jpg (33KB - 1 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
southjerseyrider
Posted 2015-06-28 4:14 PM (#173050 - in reply to #173049)
Subject: RE: Tag A Long trailer box

Tourer

Vineland, NJ United States

I don't know answer to your question, but I pull a one-wheel uni-go trailer because I feel safer and more in control pulling the extra weight rather than supporting and holding up the extra weight.  I put all the heavy items in the trailer and light stuff in saddlebags and trunk

BreadmanRo
Posted 2015-06-28 9:15 PM (#173061 - in reply to #173050)

Cruiser

Stockton, California

southjerseyrider - 2015-06-28 2:14 PM

I don't know answer to your question, but I pull a one-wheel uni-go trailer because I feel safer and more in control pulling the extra weight rather than supporting and holding up the extra weight.  I put all the heavy items in the trailer and light stuff in saddlebags and trunk

Any problems with sway on the trailer? 

southjerseyrider
Posted 2015-06-29 5:51 AM (#173062 - in reply to #173061)

Tourer

Vineland, NJ United States

good question.  Short answer is NO, not now, all is good. I've been on Blue Ridge Pkwy, Skyline drive, Dragon, Cherohula Hwy, etc, no problems.    Longer answer is when I first got it I was having some sway/vibration problems.  they were easily remedied by 3 things: 1) proper inflation of the uni-go tire (about 26psi), 2) there can be no jiggle in the hitch, they give you a thumbscrew to tighten to prevent the hithbar from jiggling inside the receiver hitch, that has to be very tight so as not to allow any movement, and 3) the load in the uni-go has to be balanced with heavy stuff on bottom and not all to one side.  If you do those simple things, I've pulled steep grades, hit 90mph, passed semi trucks, been in rain storms, no problems. 

jimtom
Posted 2015-06-29 11:39 AM (#173073 - in reply to #173049)

Visionary

Sand Rock, AL United States
I have this. Ride with it loaded is flawless .

(Key West nn.jpg)

(Daytona 200mccampinga.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Key West nn.jpg (68KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments Daytona 200mccampinga.jpg (73KB - 1 downloads)
BreadmanRo
Posted 2015-06-29 10:28 PM (#173085 - in reply to #173062)

Cruiser

Stockton, California

southjerseyrider - 2015-06-29 3:51 AM

good question.  Short answer is NO, not now, all is good. I've been on Blue Ridge Pkwy, Skyline drive, Dragon, Cherohula Hwy, etc, no problems.    Longer answer is when I first got it I was having some sway/vibration problems.  they were easily remedied by 3 things: 1) proper inflation of the uni-go tire (about 26psi), 2) there can be no jiggle in the hitch, they give you a thumbscrew to tighten to prevent the hithbar from jiggling inside the receiver hitch, that has to be very tight so as not to allow any movement, and 3) the load in the uni-go has to be balanced with heavy stuff on bottom and not all to one side.  If you do those simple things, I've pulled steep grades, hit 90mph, passed semi trucks, been in rain storms, no

Thanks for the info. I have thought about a uni go before. Gives me more to think about.

BreadmanRo
Posted 2015-06-29 10:33 PM (#173086 - in reply to #173073)

Cruiser

Stockton, California

jimtom - 2015-06-29 9:39 AM I have this. Ride with it loaded is flawless .

Two questions

1. Any weight issues? I'm wondering if having the extra weight on the back makes the front too light. Decrease in traction for front tire.

2.. Does the exhaust get your gear dirty

jimtom
Posted 2015-06-30 6:22 AM (#173093 - in reply to #173086)

Visionary

zero weight issues. I have used it loaded solo , loaded 2-up to Key West, to Daytona Beach, to Virginia, etc. You can see I piled it on and my front tire remained planted over literally thousands of miles. Our bikes weigh about 870 lbs. What you can put on that rack will not affect handling whatsoever. I never know it's back there. The advantage over a unigo trailer is there is no extra flat tire or wheel bearing failure to be concerned with. My friend makes these in Moulton, Alabama. He has a deal that if you bring it to him , he will install and wire for no extra charge but he has recently had a bad accident on his Vision. He hit debris in the road and breached the oil pan, oiling his rear tire, loosing control. He is in rehab mode right now. Had to learn to walk again. I don't know when he will be back to building them. It comes with a trailer hitch too.
To answer your 2nd question, no. Again , over thousands of miles no exhaust staining. his facebook page for the racks is "BigD Custom Motorcycle Racks"
johnnyvision
Posted 2015-06-30 5:28 PM (#173106 - in reply to #173049)
Subject: Re: Tag A Long trailer box

Visionary

the more weight you put on the back will take away from stopping power. I don't think its a smart idea besides the right bump in the wrong place your wheel could be off the ground
BreadmanRo
Posted 2015-06-30 7:45 PM (#173108 - in reply to #173093)

Cruiser

Stockton, California

Jimtom ,

Thank you for the firsthand report. I needed to hear from someone who actually uses this type of trailer.  Hope your buddy gets well soon. I will take a look at his site. 

BreadmanRo
Posted 2015-06-30 7:47 PM (#173109 - in reply to #173049)

Cruiser

Stockton, California
Johnny you make good points. That is why I am looking for those who have tried it out.
NoMoHD
Posted 2015-07-17 5:33 PM (#173528 - in reply to #173049)

Puddle Jumper

Carrollton, TX
Any grief from not having a visible license plate
Nozzledog
Posted 2015-07-17 6:23 PM (#173529 - in reply to #173049)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I have used both, a hitch rack and a trailer (2wheel). Braking on both is about the same. Very reel wheel dominate. The load I was carrying with the trailer was much heavier that what I used the hitch rack for. You could literally stand on the brake pedal without locking the rear wheel. Touch the front too hard and the wheel starts sliding. When towing, you brake just about opposite than you normally do. The hitch rack was not as severe, but I was not stopping as much weight either.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2015-07-17 7:58 PM (#173531 - in reply to #173049)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
i might have asked this before.. but i was always wondering about something... lets say you have a EZpass.. or just in general a police office is behind you .. can you get sited for blocking your license plate ? im not saying you can.. im asking ... I wonder because, there is a point to the license plate being there right ? and if you load up the rear of your bike so much that a police office cant see if your tags are up to date or see your plate at all.. how do they know the bike is not stole or wanted? or like with ezpass they take a photo of your plate as you pass through if there was a issue with reading your ezpass.. maybe its not a issue at all.. i just have to wonder... in Pittsburgh the police cars have cameras that instantly read plates as they drive past you.. I just wonder if they were to come up on you,, and your so over the top loaded down that you are clearly obstructing them from being able to scan your plate.... just a thought..
lennyb
Posted 2015-07-18 9:13 AM (#173535 - in reply to #173086)

Iron Butt

Perry Hall, MD
BreadmanRo - 2015-06-29 11:33 PM

Does the exhaust get your gear dirty

When I went to Cherry Bomb mufflers anything on the rack got soiled. Just posted some pics in my gallery on a home made solution.
BreadmanRo
Posted 2015-07-18 4:57 PM (#173543 - in reply to #173528)

Cruiser

Stockton, California

NoMoHD - 2015-07-17 3:33 PM Any grief from not having a visible license plate

From what I have been told here in California I would have to mount the license plate on the back of the box so it would still be visible. The CHP does not like having the plate obscured 

jimtom
Posted 2015-07-22 6:32 AM (#173657 - in reply to #173531)

Visionary

Arkainzeye - 2015-07-17 7:58 PM

i might have asked this before.. but i was always wondering about something... lets say you have a EZpass.. or just in general a police office is behind you .. can you get sited for blocking your license plate ? im not saying you can.. im asking ... I wonder because, there is a point to the license plate being there right ? and if you load up the rear of your bike so much that a police office cant see if your tags are up to date or see your plate at all.. how do they know the bike is not stole or wanted? or like with ezpass they take a photo of your plate as you pass through if there was a issue with reading your ezpass.. maybe its not a issue at all.. i just have to wonder... in Pittsburgh the police cars have cameras that instantly read plates as they drive past you.. I just wonder if they were to come up on you,, and your so over the top loaded down that you are clearly obstructing them from being able to scan your plate.... just a thought..

now I know why I never got charged going through unmanned tolls in Florida! I never got pulled over for (unintentionally) covering my plate when I rode to Key West, Panama City. That trip was about 2,500 miles. I kept wondering when and how I would be charged for the photo-enforced tolls on the turnpike. I guess that's why LOL! and as far as riding with my cargo rack fully loaded, absolutely zero affect on riding, cornering , braking. Never knew it was there, completely neutral. No wheelies, nothing. So far , I've done about 5,000+ miles 2-up with it loaded. But, obviously, you are not supposed to cover your plate , so you could get pulled over for that.
diamonbird
Posted 2015-07-22 1:02 PM (#173660 - in reply to #173049)

Cruiser

Mechanicsville, VA United States
JimTom, I've been to KW three times on a motorcycle and never have gotten a bill for the tolls, car yes motorcycle no.
wingit3611
Posted 2015-07-24 9:43 AM (#173690 - in reply to #173049)

Cruiser

Can one of these be mounted on a Hitch Doctors Hitch. Take the ball off & bolt it on there ???
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™