You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Rubbing noise after tire change
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

ljurgens
Posted 2015-07-15 9:08 AM (#173478)
Subject: Rubbing noise after tire change

Tourer

West Salem, WI United States

Just changed the tires on my 13 Vision. I am hearing a rubbing or slight binding noise from the rear as the bike rolls forward. Not the normal slight disc drag noise. As i roll forward in the driveway for example, the noise seems to be only on a portion of the disk possibly? No noise, then noise, then no noise as I roll forward, no noise rolling backwards. Is it possible that the caliper could be out of alignment somehow after the install?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
willtill
Posted 2015-07-15 10:07 AM (#173480 - in reply to #173478)
Subject: Re: Rubbing noise after tire change

Visionary

Central Maryland
Could be your belt, not aligned properly on the rear pulley. Can you jack up your bike and spin the wheel, and eyeball everything?
ljurgens
Posted 2015-07-15 10:40 AM (#173484 - in reply to #173478)

Tourer

I can check that tonight.
SteveS
Posted 2015-07-15 1:10 PM (#173485 - in reply to #173478)
Subject: RE: Rubbing noise after tire change

Cruiser

Danbury, Connecticut
ljurgens - 2015-07-15 9:08 AM

Just changed the tires on my 13 Vision. I am hearing a rubbing or slight binding noise from the rear as the bike rolls forward. Not the normal slight disc drag noise. As i roll forward in the driveway for example, the noise seems to be only on a portion of the disk possibly? No noise, then noise, then no noise as I roll forward, no noise rolling backwards. Is it possible that the caliper could be out of alignment somehow after the install?

If you have any friends that are machinists, see if they can dial indicate the brake rotor. The caliper shouldn't cause a noise only in one spot if the rotor is running true. You might have a burr or piece of crap between the wheel and rotor knocking it out of true in one spot. Did you use a torque wrench to tighten the rotor?
ljurgens
Posted 2015-07-15 3:30 PM (#173486 - in reply to #173485)

Tourer

I ddid not remove the rotors or the sprocket, the mechanic at the dealer wouldn't have either would he?  For what reason...

willtill
Posted 2015-07-15 4:33 PM (#173487 - in reply to #173486)

Visionary

Central Maryland
ljurgens - 2015-07-15 4:30 PM

I ddid not remove the rotors or the sprocket, the mechanic at the dealer wouldn't have either would he? ?For what reason...

I wonder if he bent the rotor or the sprocket; when levering the tire off or on...

Some tire monkeys do remove the sprocket and/or rotor as well, when changing the tires.

Arkainzeye
Posted 2015-07-15 4:50 PM (#173488 - in reply to #173478)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Could it be as simple as misalignment. ??
ByteN2it
Posted 2015-07-15 5:44 PM (#173489 - in reply to #173478)

Tourer

Beer Collins, Colorado (there is no fort)
My bet would be that the spacers got switched around.

Edited by ByteN2it 2015-07-15 5:47 PM
ByteN2it
Posted 2015-07-15 5:45 PM (#173490 - in reply to #173478)

Tourer

Beer Collins, Colorado (there is no fort)
oops

Edited by ByteN2it 2015-07-15 5:46 PM
johnnyvision
Posted 2015-07-15 5:58 PM (#173491 - in reply to #173478)

Visionary

do the simple thing first look at the alignment marks on the swing arm. Are they close or is one way forward from the other one. If so bad alignment.
Most tire machines can't handle how big the pulley is so they take that off. No need to take rotor off.
One caliper piston could be out farther than the other one cause drag or uneven alignment
johnnyvision
Posted 2015-07-15 5:59 PM (#173492 - in reply to #173478)

Visionary

do the simple thing first look at the alignment marks on the swing arm. Are they close or is one way forward from the other one. If so bad alignment.
Most tire machines can't handle how big the pulley is so they take that off. No need to take rotor off.
One caliper piston could be out farther than the other one cause drag or uneven alignment
ljurgens
Posted 2015-07-15 6:36 PM (#173496 - in reply to #173478)

Tourer

Ok, so I traced it to the brake caliper/pads/rotor on the rear. I pulled the caliper bolt and then tapped on the brake pads and reset them into their positions. I also found that the brake line was very snug against the swing arm and I was able to free that up a bit. Spinning the wheel after those two adjustments took the noise away.
willtill
Posted 2015-07-15 7:50 PM (#173498 - in reply to #173496)

Visionary

Central Maryland

ljurgens - 2015-07-15 7:36 PM

Ok, so I traced it to the brake caliper/pads/rotor on the rear. I pulled the caliper bolt and then tapped on the brake pads and reset them into their positions. I also found that the brake line was very snug against the swing arm and I was able to free that up a bit. Spinning the wheel after those two adjustments took the noise away.

This is EXACTLY why you should take the wheel off yourself; and bring it to "whomever".

Dealers CANNOT be trusted to perform good work. Unfortunately and especially, on a simple tire change.

I could tell you horror story's...

ljurgens
Posted 2015-07-16 6:53 AM (#173511 - in reply to #173478)

Tourer

WillTill, in this case I did take the wheels off and brought them to the dealer. Who by the way only charged me $33 to change BOTH and dispose of the old tires! (they had a $25 off July special on tire mounting that they let me use!).

This is the first time I have ever done this kind of work on the bike. I learned quite a bit too which is great. I found the process actually easier than I had anticipated. I was worried about the rear wheel alignment, but that doesn't seem to be an issue.

The one thing I found odd when I had finished putting the rear back on was how tight the brake line seemed, and I just didn't see or feel any way it could be looser. So when I jacked the bike back up and loosened the caliper bolt, that is when I noticed I could pull it back a bit and give it the slight slack it needed. The line must have slipped up into the bike when the swing arm was lowered and raised and I'm guessing it was pulling the caliper just a bit to the left causing the rubbing.

Thanks to all for the advice and tips! These new Avons are really nice!

Edited by ljurgens 2015-07-16 6:55 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™