You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Spark Plug Wire Connector Pulled Loose
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

ltrmc02
Posted 2015-07-19 9:19 PM (#173558)
Subject: Spark Plug Wire Connector Pulled Loose

Puddle Jumper

NC
I changed the plugs in my 08 Vision today and the back cylinder's plug boot pulled off very easily and left the metal clip on the spark plug, the front didn't do that, the clip stayed inside the boot on the front.

I looked closely at the clip and inside the wire's boot and don't really see how it could have been a crimped or soldered connection, looks like it just pushes up in there and rest against the conductor wire. I put everything back together and it runs fine, just curious if any of you have had the clip to pull out of the plug wire boot and if it's a problem where the wires should be replaced?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Vladezip
Posted 2015-07-19 11:20 PM (#173560 - in reply to #173558)
Subject: Re: Spark Plug Wire Connector Pulled Loose

Glendale, AZ United States
I think if it has been awhile since you changed them, the spark plug boots have a tendency to stick or at least this has been the deal with my 09 and 11 VVs respectively. Since the scooter runs fine I don't think you hurt anything. Any auto parts store where you get plugs for the VV, I would recommend spark plug boot grease to make things easier the next time around, hopefully. It's cheap and Autozone used to carry those single application packets
Arkainzeye
Posted 2015-07-20 4:10 PM (#173565 - in reply to #173558)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
both of my spark plug wires broke last year.. victory is high... they want over $100 for 2 little wires... i then went to witchdoc. and they werent even close to the right size. so i made my own .. using a pack of ford plug wires (which fits the coil ...) i was able to make 4 wires for LESS than one victory wanted for just one wire...
johnnyvision
Posted 2015-07-20 5:53 PM (#173571 - in reply to #173558)

Visionary

Never Never pull on the wire. Get a hold of the boot with maybe a needle nose pliers. Or go to auto store and buy a plug wire puller. There cheap.
I take a peace of fuel like cut it long way and stick over fin. Then with needle nose pliers I grasp the boot bush down on handly
Arkainzeye
Posted 2015-07-21 7:50 AM (#173579 - in reply to #173558)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
plug wire puller doesn't fit.. at least the one i got did not.. No room ...

Edited by Arkainzeye 2015-07-21 7:50 AM
atvtinker
Posted 2015-07-21 12:23 PM (#173584 - in reply to #173558)

Tourer

Grand Cane, LA
Electrical contact grease makes things a lot easier every time you pull the boot. Just saying.......
ltrmc02
Posted 2015-07-22 5:11 AM (#173654 - in reply to #173558)
Subject: RE: Spark Plug Wire Connector Pulled Loose

Puddle Jumper

NC
I have plug boot pliers which don't fit well to get these off and I pulled on the boot not the wire but just saying that the connector clip that attaches to the spark plug really doesn't appear to be mechanically attached to the wire, looks like it's just a friction hold inside the boot and just touches the wire when pushed up into the boot till it stops. The other end of the connector does clamp onto the end of the plug and this clamp pressure seemed to over come the friction hold of the boot to the connector on my rear cylinder.

Does anyone think the clip inside the boot is or isn't crimped or soldered to the wire is what I'm asking, didn't look like it to me but I have been wrong before.
atvtinker
Posted 2015-07-22 6:12 AM (#173655 - in reply to #173558)

Tourer

Grand Cane, LA
Most are just crimped on and there is a small barb that protrudes into the wire itself where it's crimped. It's not a "hard" crimp like you would see with a butt connector, but just enough to hang onto the insulation of the wire. The boot itself actually does more holding than the crimp.
conn-e-rot
Posted 2015-07-25 3:53 PM (#173723 - in reply to #173558)

Cruiser

Conneaut, OH
some dielectric grease will prevent this
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™