You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

once was the Flagship
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

Banjo
Posted 2015-07-31 7:56 PM (#174029)
Subject: once was the Flagship

Tourer

Why is Victory uninterested in the Vision..it used to be a Flagship cutting edge Cycle. Polaris/Victoryis not interested in the Vision and it shows!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
lennyb
Posted 2015-08-01 3:26 PM (#174043 - in reply to #174029)
Subject: RE: once was the Flagship

Iron Butt

Perry Hall, MD
Production cost for one. Certainly the complexity of the Vision design demands that it takes more effort to redesign, test, retool the factory, and put one through the assembly line.

Then there is the market. When nostalgia (conventional HD & Indian design) is more important to the larger customer base than all of the benefits found in the Vision It is a common sense business decision to follow the dollar (ie:CC, CR).

A guy I ride with has a 2014 CC - put some accessories on it - looks great, but he comments how much better the Vision handles and rides - then he shows up with a new Indian - complains that it rides worst than the CC, but it really looks neat (and, yes it does). A coworker won't even take my bike for a ride - it has to be a HD for him to even sit on - oh yea, he has not been able to ride with us for at least 3 years because it won't keep running - guess it still looks good. Plenty of post here where people have looked at the CC and the Indian but realized the Vision was still the best ride - even had one trying to trade his new CC to get back on a Vision.

It is the best bike out there for ride and function, but it has only drawn a limited market share and cost more to produce. Business 101 can't be ignored. Hopefully Ma Vic will give one more try combined with some new marketing - I just wish that it had been this year.
Pops
Posted 2015-08-01 6:25 PM (#174047 - in reply to #174029)
Subject: Re: once was the Flagship

Cruiser

Georgia On My Mind.... United States
Well said (RE: Business 101).

Just glad I got one!
XRsteve
Posted 2015-08-03 2:10 PM (#174083 - in reply to #174029)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
I've taken both my Visions apart down to the bare frame for different reasons and it is amazing how much R&D must have gone into the bodywork to get it to fit together so nicely and be held together the way it is.........
beemerdad2@yahoo.com
Posted 2015-08-03 2:23 PM (#174085 - in reply to #174029)

Cruiser

I saw an article on my yahoo homepage yesterday about Victory "learning" from the mistakes Harley is making. Personally I'm hoping they don't make the same "mistakes" the original Indian company did in the early and mid-1900's. I'm afraid, based on the last year or two, they are doing exactly what Indian did and just hope it isn't the Vision's undoing. One of Polaris/Victory big selling points was the fact that the company talked/listened to what American riders wanted in a bike and viola'...The Vision magically appears. A few years later, it's been getting more and more dropped/ignored like a hot potato with most, if not all, upgrades going toward the more popular Cross Country model. That's all fine and dandy BUT...my guess is that Victory/Polaris would sell most every LED headlight/sequential tail-light that could make if they'd just offer them as an option.

Indian focused solely on the U.S. government/military in both WW's and let their "fan base" flounder as opposed to Harley at least keeping some customer service/parts available to their owners at the same time. That's how you really develop brand loyalty...by keeping your customers happy and not letting them simply suck it up for those who own less popular models...eg....Vision..hell...even Cross Roads if they're dropping them from the line-up as well.
rdbudd
Posted 2015-08-03 3:01 PM (#174086 - in reply to #174085)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Don't forget that Harley won the lions share of the military contracts instead of Indian. After the war, surplus Harleys (and Jeeps) were sold to the public really cheap, making them popular with the masses. And still Harley damn near failed. Non-compete lawsuits aimed at the Japanese were one of the things that saved them, not better engineering.

Ronnie
Arkainzeye
Posted 2015-08-03 3:34 PM (#174088 - in reply to #174029)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
popularity .. or lack there of.. they are interested in making money... they make the Most money on the bikes that sell the most.. Vision is not their cash cow, there for, like a ugly step child, they slap it upside the head and tell it to get in the back with the rest of the least selling bikes.. meanwhile they spent a lot more time and $$$ making the vision than the cross scooters.... maybe we should feel lucky..? maybe for that reason, (amount of Everything they invested in the vision ) is the reason they still keep it around.. trying to recoop money spent.. my dealers around my area.. 7 years ago you always saw a vision on their floor ready to sale.. now... they dont want one unless a customer is asking for one.. they dont want that much area on their floor to be none selling.. hell i bought 2 of them.. but i learned i am NOT the person you look at for whats popular... lol
Vladezip
Posted 2015-08-03 11:49 PM (#174092 - in reply to #174043)

Glendale, AZ United States
lennyb - 2015-08-01 2:26 PM

Production cost for one. Certainly the complexity of the Vision design demands that it takes more effort to redesign, test, retool the factory, and put one through the assembly line.

Then there is the market. When nostalgia (conventional HD & Indian design) is more important to the larger customer base than all of the benefits found in the Vision It is a common sense business decision to follow the dollar (ie:CC, CR).

A guy I ride with has a 2014 CC - put some accessories on it - looks great, but he comments how much better the Vision handles and rides - then he shows up with a new Indian - complains that it rides worst than the CC, but it really looks neat (and, yes it does). A coworker won't even take my bike for a ride - it has to be a HD for him to even sit on - oh yea, he has not been able to ride with us for at least 3 years because it won't keep running - guess it still looks good. Plenty of post here where people have looked at the CC and the Indian but realized the Vision was still the best ride - even had one trying to trade his new CC to get back on a Vision.

It is the best bike out there for ride and function, but it has only drawn a limited market share and cost more to produce. Business 101 can't be ignored. Hopefully Ma Vic will give one more try combined with some new marketing - I just wish that it had been this year.

Well said and I could not agree more. I have test ridden virtually every "touring" motorcycle in the Victory, HD, and Indian lineup and why not since it's free and sometimes they throw in a free lunch. To each his own, but I will take the Pepsi challenge with the Vision on those 700 miles plus days and in the bang for your buck department when buying a used VV. If you want to truly ride long distance and log 12000 miles/year or more on a motorcycle the VV is the bike for you vs riding out to the nearest watering hole or breakfast joint and kick tires with the rest of the pirates.

I do my own thing and could care less what anybody else thinks about the VV. You like the VV, fine. If you don't want to ride the "Jetson's bike", fine by me also. With that being said, the VV is the only scooter in the Victory lineup I will own and for reasons that are entirely my own preference choice in the meat and potatoes department. I also do not have any brand loyalty. Why pigeon hold yourself for some something stupid like the "brand." I will ride the VV until something else comes along from any other motorycle manufacturer on the planet that strikes my fancy.
rainryder II
Posted 2015-08-04 2:16 PM (#174103 - in reply to #174029)

Cruiser

Well, the 2010 Vision 8-Ball I had shipped up here to the Seattle area from Texas last winter/spring has been drawing attention and crowds to the point I had to go buy a Batman T-Shirt! It has to be about the baddest ass looking thing for my $11,500 (including shipping, tax & license) with 8700 miles on it, and it's reading about 12,000 now because like my first grrrfren, I can't keep off the thing!! And since I found out they only made less than 8,000 Visions of all stripes since '08, the 8 Ball must be just one of a very few, so go ahead, Polaris, put-em all out to pasture. I got mine!
rainryder II
Posted 2015-08-04 2:18 PM (#174104 - in reply to #174029)

Cruiser

Well, the 2010 Vision 8-Ball I had shipped up here to the Seattle area from Texas last winter/spring has been drawing attention and crowds to the point I had to go buy a Batman T-Shirt! It has to be about the baddest ass looking thing for my $11,500 possible (including shipping, tax & license), with only 8700 miles on it then and it's reading about 12,000 now because like my first grrrfren, I just can't keep off the thing!! And since I found out they only made less than 8,000 Visions of all stripes since '08, the 8 Ball must be just one of a very few, so go ahead, Polaris, put-em all out to pasture. I got mine! PS: Anyone know how many VV 8-Balls were made, anyway?
Vladezip
Posted 2015-08-04 10:43 PM (#174124 - in reply to #174104)

Glendale, AZ United States
rainryder II - 2015-08-04 1:18 PM

Well, the 2010 Vision 8-Ball I had shipped up here to the Seattle area from Texas last winter/spring has been drawing attention and crowds to the point I had to go buy a Batman T-Shirt! It has to be about the baddest ass looking thing for my $11,500 possible (including shipping, tax & license), with only 8700 miles on it then and it's reading about 12,000 now because like my first grrrfren, I just can't keep off the thing!! And since I found out they only made less than 8,000 Visions of all stripes since '08, the 8 Ball must be just one of a very few, so go ahead, Polaris, put-em all out to pasture. I got mine! PS: Anyone know how many VV 8-Balls were made, anyway?

If you keep an eye out, including this site, you can get lightly used VV with low mileage for under 13K. My 09 was 12345 with 6K on the odometer, which I totaled this past December, but that's a different story, and the 2011 VV I bought this past April with 5700 on the odometer was 13,100 bucks. In that price range, nothing can touch the VV in the touring category as far as value is concerned when you buy used. Many of us, and you know who you are, will get up in the am, put the key in the darn thing, and ride 300 miles for a quick lunch and back in time to spend the afternoon with the family and not think anything about it! No sore knees/back and ample room to stretch out any which way you want. You pick your line in the twisties and lean the "ol gal" over slick as butter and feel confident doing it. O"Rilleys/NAPA have everything you need to do 90% of all your service needs, which suits my fancy also. Spend it if you got it on a Chieftain or Roadmaster, but for the working stiffs like myself the VV does just fine.
donetracey
Posted 2015-08-06 2:07 AM (#174133 - in reply to #174029)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
I ain't seen anything BETTER from ANY maker in the 8 years I have owned MY 'SPCSHP' - so why the HELL are you guys talking such trash ???
rainryder II
Posted 2015-08-07 5:45 PM (#174148 - in reply to #174029)

Cruiser

Yeppers! A statement bike fer sure! A guy asked me yesterday if I bought my Vision 8-Ball like that, and I said, "Uhuh. A little different, ain't it?" Thought he was gonna drool all over his shirt.
YENRABSRIDE
Posted 2015-08-08 3:46 AM (#174151 - in reply to #174029)

Cruiser

CASTRO VALLEY, CA United States
I just did a 3800 mile trip from the San Francisco Bay Area to Sturgis and back, and not a single hiccup on the Vision, except the aftermarket speakers blew again, but that's a different story. The Vision was all day comfortable and performed flawlessly. The electric windshield is such an awesome feature and the bike easily stood out from the crowd. I think I saw more HD trikes then Victorys at Sturgis.
Pops
Posted 2015-08-08 4:24 PM (#174154 - in reply to #174133)

Cruiser

Georgia On My Mind.... United States
donetracey - 2015-08-06 3:07 AM

I ain't seen anything BETTER from ANY maker in the 8 years I have owned MY 'SPCSHP' - so why the HELL are you guys talking such trash ???

Roger that. Ten-four. Concur. Agree.

Love my Vision. Wouldn't own anything else.

POPS
YENRABSRIDE
Posted 2015-08-10 8:23 PM (#174181 - in reply to #174029)

Cruiser

CASTRO VALLEY, CA United States
I see that there's no incentive for the Vision during the 'Red Tag' sale. What does that tell you? Are riders catching on?
SongFan
Posted 2015-10-23 5:40 PM (#175452 - in reply to #174029)

Visionary

Memphis

Been off the Vision for about 3 years now.  Had the Indian Chief for the last two.  (Retired for the last year and a half with a robo-hip.)  Amazing how many guys come up to me and want to know if the Chief is nicer than the Vision.  (Always a Harley guy who would never acknowledge the Vision.)  First words out of my mouth are always "The Vision ruined me for motorcycles.  The Indian is pretty but it is just another motorcycle.  Nothing, including every car I've ever owned, fit me like the Vision.  Comfort, handling, (Lloydz) power and wind management - best combo on the planet." 

I never thought I'd get to own an Indian Chief in my lifetime and when the opportunity came up, I went with my heart.  The Vision got its share of looks but the Indian can easily draw a crowd of 10 people outside of a restaurant for entirely different reasons.  It is universally accepted by everyone that sees it.  Having no local dealer makes it a very rare sighting around here. (I guess I'm drawn to bikes that will make a Harley invisible when I park next to it.)

If I owned another Vision along with the Indian, I'd ride the Vision 10 X more than the Chief.  Since I'm limited to one bike at a time, the Chief is my only ride and I ride it at a much more limited pace than I did on the Vision.  (Nearly every day locally but no long distance road trips.  I do ride it 500 miles to Charlotte once a year for maintenance and to check in with the best dealer on the planet.)

The Vision will always be the flagship.  I really miss it.  Ruined....

j.wales
Posted 2015-10-23 7:02 PM (#175455 - in reply to #174029)

Cruiser

Asheville, NC
I am not normal, proud of that. I traded a Triumph Rocket III on the Vision. Viva la difference. Proud to ride the Vision but I don't need it to validate me like folks with their cell phone security blankets, or Harleys. I ride for my freedom and freedom of choice thanks right up there at the top.
BlackMandingoWarrior
Posted 2015-10-24 12:36 PM (#175457 - in reply to #174029)

Puddle Jumper

Dayton, OH
Well, I haven't found another motorcycle that compares to the Vision's comfort, reliability, aesthetics, handling, etc., etc.; I know I'm preaching to the choir, and I too am greatly disappointed that Victory has ignored the Vision. The weird thing is the Vision doesn't require much improvement, just some updated electronics like LED lighting, bluetooth connectivity and improved audio. The overall technology and design are already leading edge. I can see producing more CCs because that's what's selling but even Chevy doesn't stop advancing Corvettes even though thought they sell the hell out of Cruzes and Impalas. Victory needs to keep the Vision as its flagship and platform to showcase its latest technology and keep selling CCs to the Harely wannabes. There will always the those like myself who want to take the road less traveled and will pay to be different. From my perspective Victory could price the Vision at $25K+ and the sales won't suffer. The folks who buy it at that price will simply rationalize their purchase as getting the best handling v-twin touring rig on the planet.

Edited by BlackMandingoWarrior 2015-10-24 12:47 PM
nailer
Posted 2015-10-25 8:34 PM (#175466 - in reply to #175457)

Tourer

Albuquerque, NM
Talked to my dealer last month about what he knew about the future of the vision. He said that he was told at the dealer meeting that the vision would return next year with a water cooled motor. Not much more info than that.
varyder
Posted 2015-10-25 8:54 PM (#175467 - in reply to #174029)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I guess my next bike will be a 111.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2015-10-26 8:26 AM (#175470 - in reply to #175457)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
I agree with you. On a side note . I added led lights and Bluetooth to mine... so I have those updates. I do with the radio was just "better". The led turn signals front and rear and brake light make all the difference in the world !! Not just in functionailty , but in styling as well.. you really notice the difference when parking next to a vision with the 3 bulbs on each time of the V

Well, I haven't found another motorcycle that compares to the Vision's comfort, reliability, aesthetics, handling, etc., etc.; I know I'm preaching to the choir, and I too am greatly disappointed that Victory has ignored the Vision. The weird thing is the Vision doesn't require much improvement, just some updated electronics like LED lighting, bluetooth connectivity and improved audio. The overall technology and design are already leading edge. I can see producing more CCs because that's what's selling but even Chevy doesn't stop advancing Corvettes even though thought they sell the hell out of Cruzes and Impalas. Victory needs to keep the Vision as its flagship and platform to showcase its latest technology and keep selling CCs to the Harely wannabes. There will always the those like myself who want to take the road less traveled and will pay to be different. From my perspective Victory could price the Vision at $25K+ and the sales won't suffer. The folks who buy it at that price will simply rationalize their purchase as getting the best handling v-twin touring rig on the planet.
Bull
Posted 2015-10-26 9:23 AM (#175471 - in reply to #174029)

Puddle Jumper

, WI United States
After reading through this thread and having subscriptions to pretty much every bike mag and having pretty much read every statement made from Polaris about their Victory line I see that the one thing - ONE BIG THING/TEASON not mentioned yet in this thread is that now that Polaris has Indian to go for the older biker customers Polaris is aiming Victory at a much younger crowd of customers. And I clearly see it when I ride. The young bucks have zero interest in the Vision but every time I stop for gas I get an old guy asking me about it.... And we know that we're not necessarily older, just wiser and really appreciate the technology, ride and comfort that you can only get from a vision.
BlackMandingoWarrior
Posted 2015-10-26 8:01 PM (#175479 - in reply to #174029)

Puddle Jumper

Dayton, OH
I'm looking to upgrade to the LED lighting as well this winter. I just think Victory should have done this themselves. The audio is vastly improved with 6.5" speakers in the dash with better power. Bluetooth I can live without but a nice RFID security system/keyless starting would be nice to have.

I agree with you. On a side note . I added led lights and Bluetooth to mine... so I have those updates. I do with the radio was just "better". The led turn signals front and rear and brake light make all the difference in the world !! Not just in functionailty , but in styling as well.. you really notice the difference when parking next to a vision with the 3 bulbs on each time of the V

Edited by BlackMandingoWarrior 2015-10-26 8:10 PM
jimtom
Posted 2015-10-30 6:20 AM (#176518 - in reply to #175479)

Visionary

Sand Rock, AL United States
I know this will make some CC riders mad but the Cross Country is Victory's "Street Glide". Though Victory is still a little rare to see on the road, if I see a Victory, it's a streetglide, I mean Cross Country. I will never own one for that reason, because every victory rider has one also (and other reasons, less handling, less long distance comfort, missing power windshield, frame mounted fairing promoting highway stability, greater passenger comfort, etc, etc). So the CC rider saw that he was becoming a "sea of me too's" and tried to set themselves apart by putting a big front wheel on. Now , they all have big front wheels. Looks great but looks the same. I'm different , the Vision is different. Every time someone asks me about mine , I start spouting off all it's attributes and my high mileage compared to very little maintenance until I run some of them off. I get obnoxious when I talk about it. I'm almost a Vision snob, ok , I am a Vision snob. The funny thing is , I know it as soon as I do it and I berate myself. I say to myself "when someone asks you how you like your bike , just once could you just say I like it fine???"

The more I read how the Indian "pale faces" in comparison from riders who have experience with both the more I'm 2nd guessing whether I will ever own an Indian. If i were to make such a significant investment in the RM, it better ride good because I don't buy them to look at. I admit the Indian is aesthetically pleasing and in my demo experience , very comfortable and even more manageable for my 150 lb , 5'6" frame but it has to be a traveler baby. The Vision, as another post said , has "ruined me" I guess.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™