You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Thrush Mod with Hitch Doc trailer hitch
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

Silverhawk
Posted 2015-08-14 10:12 PM (#174222)
Subject: Thrush Mod with Hitch Doc trailer hitch

New user

I just purchased a 2008 Vision. I want to do the Thrush Mod on my bike.

Has anyone done this mod and then installed a Hitch Doc Trailer hitch?

I am curious as to how this will work with the rear Bracket that hold the hitch in place.

Thanks,
Top of the page Bottom of the page
lennyb
Posted 2015-08-14 11:12 PM (#174223 - in reply to #174222)
Subject: RE: Thrush Mod with Hitch Doc trailer hitch

Iron Butt

Perry Hall, MD
While I got tired of the exhaust noise on long trips and have gone back to stock, when installed there was no problem.

Hope my description makes sense.

I used a muffler that was short enough that a straight piece of pipe extended past the mount you're asking about. I drilled a hole centered in the base of a U-bolt muffler clamp and put a 1/4" bolt through it (don't recall if I had to cut down the bolt head to fit into the base). The clamp was placed on the pipe with the base facing the hitch mounting bolt. Found or made a piece of channel to fit between the clamp base and hitch mount. Drilled holes in the channel ears to fit over the 2 bolts and tightened everything up.
johnnyvision
Posted 2015-08-15 5:51 PM (#174235 - in reply to #174222)
Subject: Re: Thrush Mod with Hitch Doc trailer hitch

Visionary

this guy does the thrush exchange sounds great and has dynoed spec
https://www.facebook.com/drew.miller.3914/about
rdbudd
Posted 2015-08-16 9:28 AM (#174239 - in reply to #174235)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
johnnyvision - 2015-08-15 5:51 PM

this guy does the thrush exchange sounds great and has dynoed spec
https://www.facebook.com/drew.miller.3914/about

He also tells everybody that you HAVE TO USE a PCV with his exhaust for its ability to SUBTRACT fuel.

There is only one reason why you would need to subtract fuel from the fuel curve supplied by the stock ECU. The modified exhaust is flowing LESS than the stock exhaust. We add fuel controllers when we make modifications that increase flow, so we can increase the fuel to match. Think about it.

ANY exhaust modification that "requires" a PCV "for its ability to subtract fuel" is flowing less than the stocker. More flow requires more fuel, not less.

Truth be told, the stock exhaust is the best one for overall performance. It has been proven to flow well enough to support 135 HP on a 116 build.

Ronnie
johnnyvision
Posted 2015-08-16 5:55 PM (#174245 - in reply to #174222)

Visionary

Drew does have cams write him hell send you a dyno on a stock bike
rdbudd
Posted 2015-08-17 10:08 AM (#174252 - in reply to #174245)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
johnnyvision - 2015-08-16 5:55 PM

Drew does have cams write him hell send you a dyno on a stock bike

Lots of people have cams, including me. On a Vision, more power comes from more air in (top filter) more fuel in to match the increased air flow (fuel controller), better flow management (cams), better engine management ( reprogrammed ECU and in some cases, Lloydz timing wheel).

The Vision will see a 30% or better increase in power from these components alone. The stock exhaust is more than sufficient to handle them. Many aftermarket exhausts actually flow LESS than the stock system at certain RPM ranges.

People tend to change exhausts at the same time they add other components and then give the credit to the exhaust. Drew will INSIST that you have to use a PCV with his exhaust, instead of a VFCIII, because the VFCIII can not subtract fuel while the PCV can.

If you have to SUBTRACT fuel due to an exhaust change, you are losing power compared to what the stock exhaust will produce. Sure, he gets more power WITH THE CAMS and his exhaust. You will get even more in the ranges where he has to SUBTRACT fuel, with the cams and the stock exhaust.

I have a stock exhaust. My bike is a Q-Ship. Quiet, stock sounding and appearing. Wanna race? quarter mile? Roll-on from 40 MPH in 5th gear? Top speed? GL1800 Goldwings all fall behind me in every category. Maybe you will have better luck with your Vision.

In my younger days, I used to do a lot of bike drag racing. I built or helped build several bikes. I owned my own dyno, and have spent many hours using a dyno. I learned that it is very difficult to improve on the flow characteristics of stock exhausts over the entire powerband. The crotch rockets that I used to play with would be quicker in the quarter mile due to a lighter weight that comes with an aftermarket exhaust system, not from the (mostly non-existent) power increases from the aftermarket exhaust. Those that showed a small increase in power on the top end at 10,000 RPM invariably showed a loss in the low end power. That's okay with a drag bike. It sucks on the street in every day riding.

Drew provides a service and a product that produces a sound that people like. That is fine, and more power to him. If you want the sound, go for it. If you think you will be getting more power from it, you will be mistaken.

Ronnie

Edited by rdbudd 2015-08-17 10:31 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™