You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Oil Seals
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

Daveg53
Posted 2015-08-17 6:49 AM (#174249)
Subject: Oil Seals

Puddle Jumper

Vacaville, CA United States
I have a question regarding the pre-fabricated oil change kits that can be purchased at Victory. There is a copper crush seal and an O-ring seal apparently for the threaded shaft where the oil filter installes included in the kit. Neither the service manual or the owners manual make any mention of these seals. First question; are they necessary? Second question; if they are, in what order do they go on the threaded oil filter shaft?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
okie vision
Posted 2015-08-17 7:04 AM (#174250 - in reply to #174249)
Subject: Re: Oil Seals

Iron Butt

Broken Arrow, OK
The copper washer goes on your drain plug.
The O ring is used for the dipstick.

Nothing goes on the oil filter threads except the oil filter.
RedRider
Posted 2015-08-18 4:40 AM (#174263 - in reply to #174249)

Visionary

There were older model Victorys that ha and o-ring on the drain plug. Maybe seals for all models?
I like to keep a spare copper washer and swap it each oil change. Why? Because they ALWAYS fall into the oil drain tub. This way I can wait till I drain the tub to find the old washer. Works for me.
rdbudd
Posted 2015-08-18 10:49 AM (#174267 - in reply to #174263)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
RedRider - 2015-08-18 4:40 AM

There were older model Victorys that ha and o-ring on the drain plug. Maybe seals for all models?
I like to keep a spare copper washer and swap it each oil change. Why? Because they ALWAYS fall into the oil drain tub. This way I can wait till I drain the tub to find the old washer. Works for me.

The older bikes also used a copper crush washer from the factory (larger size than the Freedom engine bikes), but you might run across a used bike where the owner took it upon himself to replace it with an o-ring. It wasn't original though. I bought my 2000 V92Sc brand new and it has always used a copper crush washer.

Okie has it right. Copper washer on the drain plug. Rubber O-ring for the dipstick. Nothing but a clean surface for the oil filter.

I keep a few new copper washers on hand for both my bikes. They eventually get work-hardened and need replaced. They are cheap from the dealer. I do my own changes using my own oil choice.

Ronnie
sidneysonnino
Posted 2015-09-04 5:48 AM (#174647 - in reply to #174249)
Subject: RE: Oil Seals

New user

you're likely going to come across eventually so the tips below may just be what you'll need someday.

One of the most common problems occur when over tightening a bolt (or Oil Drain) in aluminum and the threads get pulled out of the aluminum resulting in whatever it was you were tightening just becoming loose all the sudden and this is usually realized upon removal of the bolt or plug to see what went wrong, as the aluminum threads are generally attached to the bolt or drain plug at this point.

Kid-Approved Snack Recipes
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™