You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Sturgis
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

Daveg53
Posted 2015-08-18 7:58 AM (#174265)
Subject: Sturgis

Puddle Jumper

Vacaville, CA United States
I rode my 2013 Vic Vision to Sturgis and back from central California. I put over 3k miles on it and it performed flawlessly!! HD's were dropping like flies all around me, but my Victory pressed on. Did an iron-butt 2-day ride back and the comfort was awesome!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
varyder
Posted 2015-08-18 9:57 AM (#174266 - in reply to #174265)
Subject: Re: Sturgis

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I didn't see many HD's dropping, but my poor ole 184,000 mile Vision had a little trouble. It started running again fine with no further problems. Enjoyed every mile and put on 3,987 miles on total, 13 miles shy of 4,000, but that was miles trailered from the side of I-90 to Mitchel, SD. Didn't Iron-Butt it this time, enjoyed the relaxed ride, with my highest mileage in a day was 800+. Great ride overall.
jimtom
Posted 2015-08-18 10:57 AM (#174269 - in reply to #174266)

Visionary

Sand Rock, AL United States
what happened Chris?
YENRABSRIDE
Posted 2015-08-18 4:47 PM (#174273 - in reply to #174265)

Cruiser

CASTRO VALLEY, CA United States
Did 3850 miles from the San Francisco Bay Area to Sturgis and back. We also rode around the Sturgis area, like Deadwood, Custer, Mt. Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Spearfish, and Rapid City. My Vision performed flawlessly. Only the aftermarket speaker blew again, but that's another story. My buddy's HD died one night because of an old battery, which I attribute more to maintenance than to HD. Otherwise, an excellent road trip that I would recommend to anyone.
RedRider
Posted 2015-08-19 5:00 AM (#174287 - in reply to #174265)

Visionary

Just shy of 4800 miles in 10 days out to Sturgis, ride around out there and back home. The only problem I had had nothing to do with my Vision. The replacement GPS Garmin gave me is inside a weatherproof bag when it gets over 90 degrees it just shuts down. No biggy.
Life is good.
varyder
Posted 2015-08-19 5:30 AM (#174288 - in reply to #174269)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

jimtom - 2015-08-18 11:57 AM what happened Chris?

A few things, I'm going to do a write and post it, hopefully soon.  Mostly from the point of view of the trip that I should have never taken, if reason would dictate.  All things, however, was never a hinderance and added to the nuance of my first trip to Sturgis.

jimtom
Posted 2015-08-20 7:36 AM (#174306 - in reply to #174288)

Visionary

ok, just curious. Disregard email then, I will patiently wait on the post. I am just wondering what things I may need to be mindful of on high mileage Visions .
Hippo
Posted 2015-08-20 7:49 AM (#174307 - in reply to #174265)

Cruiser

Warren, Vermont
I put 4700 miles on my 10th Anniversary Vision from Vermont to Sturgis and back. No problems other than when I hit a 4 X 4 laying in the road and my cup flew out of my cup holder.... Great ride!
varyder
Posted 2015-08-20 8:17 AM (#174308 - in reply to #174265)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Cool ride, Hippo, from Vermont!

Jimtom, the issue I had was totally unexplainable, Vision dies, won't start for over an hour, lights on, full power, radio, etc, okay. No movement in the starter, period. It's like the kill switch is activated, but it is not. I touch wires, play with fuses during that hour. Dealer picks me up and pushes the Bentley into the shop. After turning the key 3 times on and off after I did it about 50 times, the Vision mysteriously starts again with absolutely no work at the dealer. They put it on the wrench and shows no fault codes. It has ran with no problems since. I don't expect anyone else to have this particular issue, I don't know why, but that is my assessment.
NEWJAV
Posted 2015-08-20 4:13 PM (#174312 - in reply to #174265)

New user

Funky Main Relay ??
jimtom
Posted 2015-08-21 7:47 AM (#174323 - in reply to #174308)

Visionary

varyder - 2015-08-20 8:17 AM

Cool ride, Hippo, from Vermont!

Jimtom, the issue I had was totally unexplainable, Vision dies, won't start for over an hour, lights on, full power, radio, etc, okay. No movement in the starter, period. It's like the kill switch is activated, but it is not. I touch wires, play with fuses during that hour. Dealer picks me up and pushes the Bentley into the shop. After turning the key 3 times on and off after I did it about 50 times, the Vision mysteriously starts again with absolutely no work at the dealer. They put it on the wrench and shows no fault codes. It has ran with no problems since. I don't expect anyone else to have this particular issue, I don't know why, but that is my assessment.

hmmm, weird. Glad it corrected itself. Does that sit in the back of your mind that it might creep up on you on the next big trip?
varyder
Posted 2015-08-21 9:19 AM (#174325 - in reply to #174265)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
If it starts, I ride, come what may. It actually had done this about two or three months ago, but on the starting side. It was in the driveway, and it wouldn't start, the N was a -- which is the indicator the switch is in acc or the kill switch is activated, neither was the case. When it died on the road, it went to the --. When it started the -- went to N.
Scotr3
Posted 2015-08-21 3:46 PM (#174329 - in reply to #174265)

Puddle Jumper

Moweaqua, IL United States
had that on mine ('08 VV Midnight Cherry) too, freaked me out, but like you said, after just letting it sit, like a good hour or more, turned the key, N, and it fired.
johnnyvision
Posted 2015-08-22 5:32 PM (#174336 - in reply to #174265)

Visionary

varyder
how old is the battery and are the bolts tight. Check with wrench your hand will lie to you.
Could be that 40 amp breaker behind starter. It get hot and quits then it resets its self when cooled down
RedRider
Posted 2015-08-24 5:00 AM (#174349 - in reply to #174265)

Visionary

Anny would not start one year at Sturgis right after I washed her upon arrival. Before several dealers said the problem with the stereo was it needed an update. Tri City, Utah had done the same thing 2 days before. Had her towed to Rice. After 6 hours Vic and the mech found that a wire bundle had been installed wrong and a wire had frayed. Victory shipped a complete wiring harness overnite. All has been fine since. 88,000 miles now
varyder
Posted 2015-08-24 5:07 AM (#174350 - in reply to #174336)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

johnnyvision - 2015-08-22 6:32 PM varyder how old is the battery and are the bolts tight. Check with wrench your hand will lie to you. Could be that 40 amp breaker behind starter. It get hot and quits then it resets its self when cooled down

I need to look into the relay, that is possible, but it did it a few months back when it was cold.  What it did was the -- instead of the N in the run position.  The -- will appear in ACC mode or when the kill switch is activated.  That's what it did on the road, so hot or cold, it has done it.  Don't know if the two incidents are related to the same thing or not.  The battery is relatively new, within the past year.  I keep the cables tight, however, when I was on the side of the road I removed one to disconnected the battery in hopes it would reset something.  I put it back on, but one of the things the dealer said was a cable was loose.  Again, the digital wrench showed no faults.

New or old, things will fail.  For the time being, all seems well, so I'll keep pressing on.  Thanks for your input JV!

atvtinker
Posted 2015-08-24 12:52 PM (#174352 - in reply to #174265)

Tourer

Grand Cane, LA
varyder, you may have to clean your kill switch. Mine did that on one of my trips when we were going through Nebraska. Bike just all of sudden died while going down the highway. Pulled over onto the side of the road trying to find out what was wrong and just tried the starter and it fired right up. Got back on and rode a couple hundred miles and it did it again. Finally made it home and got to thinking about what it was doing so I took the kill switch apart and cleaned the contacts and re-greased it with electrical grease and it never happened again. Even after I sold the bike the new owner has not had the issue. Speaking of which, I will coming back to a Victory bike in a couple of weeks but unfortunately it will a Cross Country Tour. This Triumph Trophy is a great bike but my knees can't take the sport bike position like they use to.

Edited by atvtinker 2015-08-24 12:53 PM
varyder
Posted 2015-08-24 2:55 PM (#174353 - in reply to #174265)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Yes, that keeps nagging me, the Kill Switch, because that is what it acts like when it is having the spell. Thanks for the insight, Ernie. I'm curious why you wouldn't come back to the Vision, but in a way I understand. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a new bike, but it won't be a Vision as long as the Bentley runs. I'm just not sure I want to put it on the road again for the long haul unless I do a good overhaul. But that would mean it would be down for a while. I'm not concerned with the internals of the motor, but more on wiring and electronic things, and bushings, bearings and seals.
johnnyvision
Posted 2015-08-24 6:22 PM (#174355 - in reply to #174265)

Visionary

You should add 1/4" lock washers to each battery bolt. Check your battery. Turn key on and volt meter should be at 12v not start it and volt meter should be at 14v. Thats telling you the battery is ok. You said it was cold when the bike quit on you but the heat from the motor will get that 40 amp breaker warm.
If you go in after that breaker make sure you check the ground cable on the motor. NAPA sells the breaker for $10 dollars less then Vic. P/N 7823116
atvtinker
Posted 2015-08-25 9:51 AM (#174371 - in reply to #174353)

Tourer

Grand Cane, LA
varyder, if they would have come back out with the dark cherry color again I might would've bought another Vision. The real ticker that sold me on the Cross Country Tour was the easy removable trunk, something I wish they could have done on the Vision. I had gotten the back panel when I bought the '08 as they had it setup as a Street Tour when I first saw it in the showroom, but the owner told me it was actually a Tour Premium. He sold me the back panel for a $100 with the deal and I actually rode it more with the trunk off and just always carried a tour bag that I could easily take off and into the hotel each night on my trips. I'll probably do the same with the Cross Country although I wanted all the other weather protection up front without having to buy it as accessories. I'm going to miss the adjustable windshield as I had one on the Triumph too and it just makes it way too convenient. LOL! My Vision was a very reliable machine and I suspect this Cross Country will be also.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™