You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Gas Leak Mystery
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

WingMan71
Posted 2015-08-26 6:50 PM (#174471)
Subject: Gas Leak Mystery

Puddle Jumper

Atlanta, GA
All,

Could use some help brainstorming a weird gas leak issue on my friend's 2009 Vision.

We put the bike on my table lift in my shop today to install a Lloyd's idle air valve. But as soon as we put the bike on the lift and secured it in a vertical position with the fork brace, it started to leak gas out of the bottom of the bike under the right side.

Upon investigation we found that the gas level in the gas tank was overflowing. The gas was up to the top of the fill hole and running out from underneath the gas cap.

So I tell John that he must have over filled it and we needed to siphon some gas out. We siphoned enough gas out to get the level to the bottom of the fill tube (this is with the bike straight up vertical, not on the side stand).

All seems good and we start disassembly work to install the IAV. Less than five or ten minutes later we have gas dripping off the bottom of the bike again! We pull the gas cap off and the gas level has come back up to the top of the fill tube again and is leaking out from under the gas cap!

What the heck? How is that even possible? We didn't move the bike or add any gas. Plus, we were working in an air conditioned space so I don't think it's an expansion or temperature issue.

Any ideas on this gas tank mystery leak would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
RedRider
Posted 2015-08-27 4:37 AM (#174482 - in reply to #174471)
Subject: Re: Gas Leak Mystery

Visionary

Some of the early Visions had a problem with the filler neck. I had that side of my tank replaced because of it. New tank and new sticker reminding owners to not let the gas hose hang in the filler neck. The weight of the nozzle can break the neck.
Hope this helps.
WingMan71
Posted 2015-08-27 9:03 AM (#174488 - in reply to #174482)

Puddle Jumper

Atlanta, GA
RedRider - 2015-08-27 5:37 AM

Some of the early Visions had a problem with the filler neck. I had that side of my tank replaced because of it. New tank and new sticker reminding owners to not let the gas hose hang in the filler neck. The weight of the nozzle can break the neck.
Hope this helps.

The filler neck looks to be just fine.

What about any gas tank vents? Where are they, and how do you check them?

jimtom
Posted 2015-08-27 12:46 PM (#174497 - in reply to #174488)

Visionary

Sand Rock, AL United States
mine leaks every time I overfill it. You'd think i'd learn. If I park it immediately after filling (over filling) , it leaks. Now I try to fill on the way home from work and ride it for the 27 mile commute. That is apparently enough riding to get the fuel level down to the point that it doesn't leak when I park it in the yard at home. I have also read about the filler neck and I never let the hose/nozzle rest against the filler neck. I hold it so that it puts no pressure on the neck, I normally try to not even let it touch on my 08. I don't know where the vents are. Never bothered to look . I just count the leaking as the product of overfilling. I fill to bottom of neck on side stand so when you right the bike , it would logically shift the gasoline to a level that is considered overfilled and leaks out an overflow or vent tube. that's my hypothesis anyway.
atvtinker
Posted 2015-08-27 12:58 PM (#174501 - in reply to #174471)

Tourer

Grand Cane, LA
Sounds like you do have a vent plugged or the purge valve to the canister is plugged. I believe that line comes down the left side of the bike looking from the front of the bike and the overflow tube runs down the right side. The purge line comes off the throttle body and then connects to the purge valve then eventually connects to the vent line. You should be able to see the purge line if you are working with idle air valve. Hope this helps.

Edited by atvtinker 2015-08-27 1:05 PM
Davet
Posted 2015-08-28 6:48 AM (#174513 - in reply to #174471)

Puddle Jumper

Sacramento, CA United States
This post is very interesting...

This week I ran my '14 VV down to 5.X gallons. Enough to make the low gas indicator light come ON. This is the 1st time I've had the tanks so low. Worried that I wouldn't fill the tanks enough when I filled 'er up. I did the rocking 'n straightening thing a little too much 'cuz shortly after filling, going down the highway, the gas cap area started to leak! It was a gusher! Down my engine, all over my pant leg, and into the wind ran the fuel! Worried that it could get worse (or catch fire) I pulled over and looked under the fuel lid. Sure 'nuff gas was bubbling out of the cap. I opened the cap (burped the tank), closed the cap securely then, waited for the gas level in the catch to drain.

Rest of the ride was not as exciting.

Just thought I'd share....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™