You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Vision LLoydz High Flow Filter and noise
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

Savage1
Posted 2015-08-27 3:56 AM (#174481)
Subject: Vision LLoydz High Flow Filter and noise

Puddle Jumper

Gday,

I'm considering some motor mods to my Vision but I like my bikes reasonably quiet.

I Had a Lloyds High Flow Air Filter on my CCT and I didn't care for the noise it made over the stock air filter.

For those who run the Lloydz High Flow Filter on their Vision is it noticeably louder than the stock arrangement.

Thanks

Top of the page Bottom of the page
goalkeeper2713
Posted 2015-08-27 6:23 AM (#174484 - in reply to #174481)
Subject: Re: Vision LLoydz High Flow Filter and noise

Puddle Jumper

Yes it is noticeably louder. Not sure what mods you are considering but if you want the 106 to perform better the top filter is one of the first mods to consider. And cams, PC V, timming wheel, pipes, etc.
okie vision
Posted 2015-08-27 6:41 AM (#174487 - in reply to #174481)

Iron Butt

Broken Arrow, OK
For me, the extra noise was annoying enough that I removed mine and sold it.
Our first road trip after removing it......Ahhhhhhhh!
Haze_Gray
Posted 2015-08-27 9:07 AM (#174489 - in reply to #174481)

Cruiser

Virginia Beach, VA
2013 Vision, front & top filters, VFC3, timing wheel & Ness Big Honkers. Dyno'd by Kyle. If I want quiet, Musician ear plugs. They cut about 12 to 15 db out. If you can't stand the minimal noise from the top air filter, then you need to leave it totally stock. If you start adding performance parts you will need more air flow.
okie vision
Posted 2015-08-27 12:51 PM (#174499 - in reply to #174481)

Iron Butt

Broken Arrow, OK
I'll just disagree on that stock part.
Great performance with VM1 cams, PCV, auto tune and timing wheel at +2 without top filter and after 5 or 6 hours of interstate cruising, I don't need earplugs.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2015-08-27 6:55 PM (#174509 - in reply to #174481)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
more power = more noise.. your not going to have a Screaming Death Machine, and sound like a hybrid.. but as a personal owner of the top filter on both my 08 and 11 vision i will say.. you WILL hear some air being sucked,... but more so, you hear mechanical noise... and it is not a pleasant noise... especially if you are OCD about your bike.. i remember when i first did it.. i was like WTF... it is falling apart? nope.. its just the nature of the beast.
rwilly
Posted 2015-08-27 9:16 PM (#174510 - in reply to #174481)

Tourer

seattle, wa
Yep, it's louder. I have cams and top filter. I put stock exhaust back on because I got tired of the popping, now I am going to remove the top filter because I am tired of the noise.
I know I am losing power by not having exhaust and intake to go with the cams, but I am not too worried about it.
rwilly
Posted 2015-08-27 9:16 PM (#174511 - in reply to #174481)

Tourer

seattle, wa
Yep, it's louder. I have cams and top filter. I put stock exhaust back on because I got tired of the popping, now I am going to remove the top filter because I am tired of the noise.
I know I am losing power by not having exhaust and intake to go with the cams, but I am not too worried about it.
Davet
Posted 2015-08-28 6:22 AM (#174512 - in reply to #174481)

Puddle Jumper

Sacramento, CA United States
Savage1, I'm with okie vision... the noise is greater than the benefit. I currently have: free flow forward air filter, Lloydz upper air filter (w/Ox2 sensors unplugged), Lloydz timing wheel, and Loydz idle valve.

As few have stated, the noise is there... yet it's peasant. I had the timing wheel and idle valve on a week before I added the upper free-flow air filter and pulled the baffles. With just the wheel and idle valve there was noticeable performance improvement in the lower RPMs. After the baffle removal and upper filter addition there was an increase in torque (grunt) further up the RPM spectrum. So, it "feels" like it's pulling better through the whole range now.

I'm a factory-rat and hard of hearing as it is. So don't need the added noise (even if it is cool). I've put my baffles back and soon will remove the Lloydz upper air filter. For me, the bang (literally) isn't worth the buck (hp).

To do it right you should: install the timing wheel, install the upper filter, change your pipes, install a tunable injection controller (whether it be Power Commander or Lloydz) then, have the machine dyno'd. I've found that the air box change and Ox2 sensor removal alone isn't worth the effort (or $). Do it right, do all the changes mentioned simultaneously and you'll be 'appy you waited.
XRsteve
Posted 2015-08-28 9:33 AM (#174514 - in reply to #174481)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
Yes, it is louder. How much ?? Enough that you will notice it.
rdbudd
Posted 2015-08-28 11:53 AM (#174515 - in reply to #174512)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Davet - 2015-08-28 6:22 AM

Savage1, I'm with okie vision... the noise is greater than the benefit. I currently have: free flow forward air filter, Lloydz upper air filter (w/Ox2 sensors unplugged), Lloydz timing wheel, and Loydz idle valve.

To do it right you should: install the timing wheel, install the upper filter, change your pipes, install a tunable injection controller (whether it be Power Commander or Lloydz) then, have the machine dyno'd. I've found that the air box change and Ox2 sensor removal alone isn't worth the effort (or $). Do it right, do all the changes mentioned simultaneously and you'll be 'appy you waited.

To do it right, leave the stock exhaust on. It will perform as well as, or better than, most of the aftermarket exhausts on a 106, even with cams and the other stuff. I have the full package and the stock exhaust. It's more powerful than GL1800 Goldwings.

I do have the top filter. It adds noise. Lloydz claims that it adds 7 or 8 horsepower. You will see that benefit at the top end of the RPM range. I've had the top filter for several years. Since my last 4000 mile trip, I've been thinking about taking it back off. That would probably slow me down to about equal to the power of a GL1800.

Ronnie

Edited by rdbudd 2015-08-28 11:55 AM
Savage1
Posted 2015-08-29 2:23 AM (#174524 - in reply to #174481)

Puddle Jumper

Thanks for all the good feedback I thought I may have been the subject of jest, ridicule and abuse for wanting a quiet ride with power.

I'll go with

Stock Pipes
PCV
K&N Filter (Front only)
Lloyds Cams
Timing Wheel (already on)

with a dyno tune.........

How would that go ?

Cheers

Edited by Savage1 2015-08-29 2:28 AM
rdbudd
Posted 2015-08-29 9:21 AM (#174532 - in reply to #174524)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Savage1 - 2015-08-29 2:23 AM

Thanks for all the good feedback I thought I may have been the subject of jest, ridicule and abuse for wanting a quiet ride with power.

I'll go with

Stock Pipes
PCV
K&N Filter (Front only)
Lloyds Cams

How would that go ?

Cheers

That would go pretty good. Raise your rev-limiter a minimum of 500 RPM (1000 RPM would be better) with the PCV when you have it dyno tuned, because with that combination you will be smacking into the stock 5500 RPM rev-limiter and 120 MPH top speed limiter pretty darn quickly. The bike will still be pulling hard when you get to the stock limits with the stock rev-limiter. It will pull hard to 6000 RPM with those modifications.

Ronnie
rdbudd
Posted 2015-08-29 9:21 AM (#174533 - in reply to #174524)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Savage1 - 2015-08-29 2:23 AM

I'll go with

Stock Pipes
PCV
K&N Filter (Front only)
Lloyds Cams

How would that go ?

Cheers

That would go pretty good. Raise your rev-limiter a minimum of 500 RPM (1000 RPM would be better) with the PCV when you have it dyno tuned, because with that combination you will be smacking into the stock 5500 RPM rev-limiter and 120 MPH top speed limiter pretty darn quickly. The bike will still be pulling hard when you get to the stock limits with the stock rev-limiter. It will pull hard to 6000 RPM with those modifications.

Ronnie
johnnyvision
Posted 2015-08-30 6:33 PM (#174548 - in reply to #174481)

Visionary

adding a top filter will lean out your motor more. If you're not going to add a PCV or a VFC111 don't do it
johnnyvision
Posted 2015-08-30 6:34 PM (#174549 - in reply to #174481)

Visionary

adding a top filter will lean out your motor more. If you're not going to add a PCV or a VFC111 don't do it
Arkainzeye
Posted 2015-08-31 6:47 AM (#174553 - in reply to #174481)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
i can respect and understand why you would want a quieter bike.. when i traded in my 08 .. it had both filters.. so of course when i got my 11 vision , it was stock... and i admired how much more quiet it was... NOT with exhaust notes, but with over all mechanical noises... then i went ahead and added the top filter anyways... cheap way to get a few ponies.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™