You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Install Brake Pads 2012 Victory Vision
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

raynchk
Posted 2015-10-30 7:17 AM (#176519)
Subject: Install Brake Pads 2012 Victory Vision

Puddle Jumper

Punta Gorda, Florida
Mistakenly posted this in the Vegas Forum.. duh!

Just spent most of the morning looking for youtube video or procedure on how to replace brake pads. Only thing I could find was Witchdoctors video and it was an 08 Hardball or similiar. That video showed leaving the caliper on the bike and pulling the pads. On my '12 vision, I can't see how its possible to replace without removing the caliper. I found a 2010 shop manual and it said the caliper needed to be removed in the front, but could be left on the bike for the rear caliper.

On a side note, can I use speed bleeders with an ABS system? Seems like I remember that bike has to be taken in to the dealer when you change fluids or try to bleed an ABS system.
Any help/advice appreciated
thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
nailer
Posted 2015-10-30 9:58 AM (#176525 - in reply to #176519)
Subject: RE: Install Brake Pads 2012 Victory Vision

Tourer

Albuquerque, NM
I just replaced the rear pads on my '08 vision a couple of weeks ago using the witchdoctor video. I put my bike on a motorcycle jack to get it up off the floor. Remove the pin that holds the pads in place. Pry the pistons apart on both side usinga tool that won't scratch the rotors. Remove the pads. Install the new pads. I had a little problem getting the holes on both pads to line up for the pin. The notches on the end of the pads has to fit into a slot in the rotor perfectly for the holes to line up. Torque the pin and wipe down the rotors. Don't forget to pump the brake pedal until firm before riding off.
ByteN2it
Posted 2015-10-30 10:19 AM (#176527 - in reply to #176519)
Subject: Re: Install Brake Pads 2012 Victory Vision

Tourer

Beer Collins, Colorado (there is no fort)
I have replaced front & rear pads with the calipers & wheels in place with no problem on my '09 Vision-no need to remove anything but the old pads. Yes, you can use speed bleeders with your ABS-I've been using Motul 5.1 synthetic brake fluid for years with great success-it's especially made to work in ABS systems and has some of the best specs of any brake fluid and is compatible with Victory DOT 4 brake systems.

https://www.motul.com/ca/en-us/products/oils-lubricants/dot-5-1-brak...
raynchk
Posted 2015-11-01 11:33 AM (#176542 - in reply to #176519)

Puddle Jumper

Punta Gorda, Florida
Ok, more questions and apologies in advance if these are as Stupid as I think..

I looked up the part numbers for brake pads on my vision and got FA261HH for the rear and FA196HH for the front. Not having a parts book, I thought I'd use the internet (Amazon and Ebay) and get one step ahead. I ordered the pads from Lion Parts in Maine and they were delivered in 2 days -- wow! At a great price -- wow! wow!

Only trouble is, today when I went to begin the job, the FA196HH pads don't fit on the front and I have only one FA261HH pad -- thought it was for the rear, but it looks like it goes in front. I didn't pull the rear pads to check, but surfing around it looks like the front and rear pads are the same on a 2012 Vision. I'll call Lion and exchange them, but does anyone have the correct EBC part numbers for front and rear. Or can clarify they are the same part number? The parts link on this website isn't working for me.

When I pulled the front pads off, I see that the 2 flat pads that contact the rotor are looking pretty worn, but the entire brake pad is only about 1/2 gone. It 'looks like' the OEM pads are formed out of all the same material and when the 2 pads are worn down, there is still an 1/8" of wear left. However, I'm sure that's wrong, and that's just the way the pads appear because they've got so much dust on them.

Also, I didn't see any O ring on the retaining bolt at the bottom of the caliper. Nor could I see the bolt in a schematic..
thanks!
nailer
Posted 2015-11-01 3:10 PM (#176543 - in reply to #176542)

Tourer

Albuquerque, NM
Not sure about the parts you ordered and if your vendors sent you the right parts. Front two pairs of pads should have been grouped or packaged together. Same for the rear. Right & left pad. Match them up with what I took off. Some pics of your worn pads would help. The whole pad on either side of the rotor should be worn evenly. You say pads are pretty worn or half worn?? If half worn then 50% life left. Don't remember an o-ring on mine.
johnnyvision
Posted 2015-11-01 5:15 PM (#176544 - in reply to #176519)

Visionary

owners book will tell you measurement on pads.

When putting in new pads lay some sand paper on a flat surface and run the pads across them. 3 or 4 swipes will be enough
helps them to break in quicker
raynchk
Posted 2015-11-01 6:33 PM (#176545 - in reply to #176543)

Puddle Jumper

Punta Gorda, Florida
Too late for photos. Put it back together and figured I'd work it out with the company tomorrow. Thanks for the reply!
varyder
Posted 2015-11-02 7:29 AM (#176551 - in reply to #176545)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
196 is for the rear, one set, 2 sets of the 261 for the front. If it is this complicated for you, it is best to take it to the dealer. They are simple to replace, but I had my initial challenges as well. With everything done right, expand the old pads enough to accommodate the new pads. Remove the pin, remove the pads. Insert the new pads, insert the pin and torque. Make sure you have a new rubber grommet, makes sure your flat springs are properly in place. You can use some white grease on the rubber grommet, and any anti-squeal compound on the back side of the pads. If you know what you're doing you can change all of the pads in 30 minutes.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™