You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

stearing stem bearings
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

grumpy01
Posted 2015-11-25 11:26 PM (#176729)
Subject: stearing stem bearings

New user

have a 2008 vision, 122000km, need to replace the stem bearings. steering stiff and bumpy!!
Is this a job for me, I have a full service manual, or do I need a mechanic??
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ByteN2it
Posted 2015-11-26 6:31 AM (#176730 - in reply to #176729)
Subject: Re: stearing stem bearings

Tourer

Beer Collins, Colorado (there is no fort)
Read the procedure in the manual & decide for yourself. You'll need a couple specialty tools and lot of patience. I would also do a fork service, and it would be a good time to get a new tire on if you need it & some new wheel bearings.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2015-11-26 8:02 AM (#176731 - in reply to #176729)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
i have removed my steering assembly 2 times now.. (both to lube the bearing) but one time was to inspect them as i felt something in my bars going over bumps.. here it was just loose... you will need tools to PULL the bearing off the steering stem. but i would image you could rent or get something from harbor freight.. i made my own spanner wrench from a cheap socket for $5 .. better than pay the price of close to $100 for victory tools.. i wouldnt ride it anymore. if you PIT that race, now your in for some grief...
Lotzafun
Posted 2015-11-26 8:28 AM (#176733 - in reply to #176729)

Iron Butt

Rockford, IL
This will help you make your decision...... http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=12086&st...
varyder
Posted 2015-11-26 8:39 AM (#176734 - in reply to #176729)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Having done it twice now, you can't trust all the manual says, there is no way to remove the upper bearing race in the air box unless you have a blind puller large enough. A couple of tips say to have a good welder throw a rod to it and pull it out, or heat the air box enough that that it expands and the race falls out. The link above will share more of this experience. Remember, you are dealing with structure of the bike. I got mine out by using a small grinding wheel, and ground into the race in two spots about a half inch apart. When it was thin enough, I knocked the small piece out and I was able to get the rest out with no problem. I used a ball joint tool to knock off the bearing from the stem, and a long pipe and an aluminum washer to drive the new bearing on the stem. Mine was like yours both times when I replaced mine. this thing needs frequent greasing to keep it from going bad. I believe moisture comes in through the filter and settles on the bearing.
johnnyvision
Posted 2015-11-26 6:36 PM (#176735 - in reply to #176729)

Visionary

take the numbers off the bearings and find a bearing store. Cheaper than Vic and better quality.
I'm thinking a aftermarket shop could pull your bottom bearing if its bad. Looking at the race will tell you forsure
grumpy01
Posted 2015-11-26 10:41 PM (#176736 - in reply to #176729)

New user

thanks for the various thoughts guys.. still to decide.
Cheers,
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™