You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Jockey Shifter
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

varyder
Posted 2016-03-25 7:38 AM (#179493)
Subject: Jockey Shifter

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

I'm looking to put a jockey shifter on my Vision. Has anyone done this? It doesn't look complicated, and I know the risks and will proceed with caution. The end results would be a foot clutch actuator and a hand shift.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
rainryder II
Posted 2016-03-25 12:42 PM (#179499 - in reply to #179493)
Subject: Re: Jockey Shifter

Cruiser

Move forward into the forties, I always say!
johnnyvision
Posted 2016-03-25 6:15 PM (#179500 - in reply to #179493)

Visionary

maybe rusty jone or hotvic
varyder
Posted 2016-03-27 8:14 AM (#179507 - in reply to #179493)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Thanks, JV. I'm hoping to find something that will work, I know a custom set up will be a pretty penny. I'm wondering if using the brake application for the clutch would work?
varyder
Posted 2016-03-27 8:48 AM (#179509 - in reply to #179499)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

rainryder II - 2016-03-25 1:42 PM Move forward into the forties, I always say!

love it! Sometimes, back to the basics is what we need to keep pressing forward.

johnnyvision
Posted 2016-03-27 6:33 PM (#179513 - in reply to #179493)

Visionary

put a cable clutch lever on shifter that way you can squeeze lever and shift at same time.
you're going to have to figure out how to attach jockey shift to side of bike.
so long rod with hole in middle of rod to use as a pivot and bolt to body of bike
varyder
Posted 2016-03-27 6:55 PM (#179514 - in reply to #179493)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

I've got to go with the foot clutch, no other option. I'm thinking because there would be enough clearance and the placement of the shift shaft, a simple lever shifter would suffice. Maybe that would put to much side stress on the shaft and cause binding, but it don't seem that it would. Thanks for the discussion, this is another controversial subject, but I'm bound to try it. I'm losing a lot of strength in my left hand when it comes to pulling the clutch in. The hand would still work well with the shifter, and the foot can clutch. It's not something I'm afraid and I'll change my riding habits because of it. My biggest schooling will be using only the right foot to balance when taking off. I have some hills to negate that would take me a minute to figure out. Once I've trained myself to do this it would just became natural all the way around.

Edited by varyder 2016-03-27 6:56 PM
pollolittle
Posted 2016-03-28 9:58 AM (#181604 - in reply to #179493)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zSevtXlT5U

Seems this would be a better option without much hand strength required and you get to keep both feet on terra firma.....

I also saw where they make a clutch multiplier, similar to this one.
varyder
Posted 2016-03-28 10:56 AM (#181605 - in reply to #179493)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Brian, I'll have to watch the video tonight, but I'm assuming it is an easy clutch. I'm not sure how long that will benefit me even though it will require less pull. I hate to admit this at all, so it's difficult to discuss, but the compression is the problem. I can hook the shifter with no compression and work it. I'm seriously seeing no other option and looking to be my last year riding if the jockey shifter doesn't work for me. I was practicing this morning stopping one footed and pretend shifting and it seems like I could get use to it. I wasn't riding like a bat out of torment either. I might be hanging up the guns when the Vision hits 200,000 but I'm still determined.
pollolittle
Posted 2016-03-28 11:03 AM (#181606 - in reply to #179493)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
I understand the dilemma to some extent. Hope you can get it figured out and continue on the way, but maybe look into the spyders. still in the wind and a hoot to boot. 4 wheelers - most of the automatics are cvt driven, I bet that could be adapted, some of those bikes run upward of 80+mph, can't imagine it couldn't be modified to fit.
the lower end 4 wheelers still use a no clutch system, where the foot lever is raised or lowered disengages the clutch pack, allowing the shift. There is also a drum, which has fingers in it to grab the drum, when rpm is at a certain level, allowing the bike to sit still without undue wear on the shift mechanism. Lots of options, really surprised none of those designs have really made it into bikes.
pollolittle
Posted 2016-03-28 11:12 AM (#181607 - in reply to #179493)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Well, my father was diagnosed with some kind of carpal tunnel, losing grip strength etc. Docs told him not to exercise the muscle due to it would inflame the area. I went to the store and got him the easiest hand grip squeezer I could find. brought that back to him and told him to give it a try 3x a day, until he went back to the doc. He found it uncomfortable at first, but was intrigued by the idea. He had fallen to less than 20lbs of grip strength. Less than a month, most of the pain gone and had boosted hand strength to over 40 lbs and climbing. Doc couldn't believe it. a few folks, I know, who were facing carpal tunnel surgery tried this same feature and managed to regain their strength and lessen the pain. Not saying it will work for you, but it seems the less muscle mass we have to protect the nerves and sensitive areas, the more prone we are to the pain and discomfort.

I would probably try one of the clutch mechanisms above before I would try to bike with just one foot down. I've fell over, at a stop before and both feet were down. It was just that slippery. You might design the next easy clutch to allow you a seat in the easy chair of retirement. Don't go backward, go forward.
varyder
Posted 2016-03-28 11:32 AM (#181608 - in reply to #179493)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

I wish my issue was CTS, I know that is painful also. Last year was a challenge, especially in pokey traffic, and found myself stopping just to rest my hand more than usual. The winter hit me hard where 30 degree days I put myself into distress because the muscles would not compress the clutch at all and I had to hook it and pull back. So I quit riding on the colder days. I continued to exercise my hand and even picked up playing the mandolin. I give it a rest when it feels tired, but continue to press forward. I let it rest over the weekend thinking I've been working it too hard, but to no avail. Trust me, I've been through extensive testing and mri's and have ruled out every possibility of a neurological disease. However, there is no indication or hope by the doctors it will ever get better, or worse for that matter. My hope in my Creator is all that is left at this point, and I'm very okay with that. I'm not wanting to give up the saddle, and I won't do trike. If this has been for a time, I'm okay with that because it's been one great time, (s)mile after (s)mile!

Edited by varyder 2016-03-28 11:33 AM
pollolittle
Posted 2016-03-28 11:51 AM (#181609 - in reply to #179493)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
well, that is most definitely a bad case of no pulling the clutch. However, before you, strike the spyder of the checklist, give one a go, they are fun to ride. I hope you can fix it and get back to it.
varyder
Posted 2016-03-28 11:57 AM (#181610 - in reply to #179493)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I have principles, LOL!!! (and not using LOL is one of them)
rainryder II
Posted 2016-03-28 3:49 PM (#181611 - in reply to #179493)

Cruiser

Try Chiropractic, if you haven't already. It's been said that every chiropractic miracle comes after a medical failure.
varyder
Posted 2016-03-28 8:09 PM (#181615 - in reply to #179493)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Muscle loss is not something that comes back. Therapist told me not to waste my time.
varyder
Posted 2016-03-31 1:21 PM (#181654 - in reply to #179493)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I stopped by one custom shop, haven't see the foot clutch done in a long time and isn't familiar with any vendors.
fnvision
Posted 2016-03-31 3:09 PM (#181657 - in reply to #179493)

Puddle Jumper

Taylorsville, KY
Over a foot clutch, I would recommend converting the left grip to a twist clutch and put a "heel" on the grip you can push down on so you wouldn't need much grip strength. I'm guessing it wouldn't be too difficult to modify a throttle assembly to make it work.
blackpearl
Posted 2016-03-31 4:41 PM (#181659 - in reply to #179493)
Subject: RE: Jockey Shifter

Puddle Jumper

Maybe the old style Harley rocker clutch could be modified to fit your Vision. The clutch stays disengaged when rocked forward coming to a stop and both feet can be used when stopped. You would only need to use your right foot to balance when taking off from a stop. Rock the clutch with the heal of left foot to engage clutch, toe of left foot to disengage clutch. Some sort of spline and rod coming up to a comfortable place would enable left hand shifts. I had a '54 HD Panhead with a similar setup and had no problems taking off ( even on hills ) and shifting thru the gears. Just a thought.
P>S> Would possibly need to convert to cable for clutch instead of hydraulic.
blackpearl
Posted 2016-04-01 11:01 AM (#181750 - in reply to #179493)

Puddle Jumper

oops, my bad; toe forward on the rocker clutch engages it, heel down disengages the clutch. After 40+ years the brain gets a little sketchy.
varyder
Posted 2016-04-01 11:38 AM (#181751 - in reply to #179493)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Thanks for the suggestions. I wonder if they have a modern rocker clutch. Someone also converting to an automatic shift, which I need to look into that also.
TerryW
Posted 2016-04-02 11:14 AM (#181764 - in reply to #179493)

Puddle Jumper

Lynnwood, WA United States
Just wondering if something like this might be of help to you....

http://www.pingelonline.com/prodcat/electric-speed-shifters.asp
johnnyvision
Posted 2016-04-02 6:00 PM (#181767 - in reply to #179493)

Visionary

contact these guys. They were is sturgis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGS7Pu9i8Gg
varyder
Posted 2016-04-03 4:57 PM (#181771 - in reply to #179493)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
yow! Both look like great options. I like the rekluse clutch and have a dealer close by. I don't know what the expense is but that might be worth it if they make it for Victory.
pollolittle
Posted 2016-04-04 11:43 AM (#181778 - in reply to #179493)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
FYI, Rekluse clutches have been in use with dirt bikes for a while. endurocross guys use them a lot. Some of the motocross guys will also use them. Then there are those guys who casually ride in the wooods, who just enjoy the convenience. Wouldn't be surprised if you could make it work.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™