You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Gremlins
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

varyder
Posted 2016-05-07 8:19 PM (#183154)
Subject: Gremlins

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
No, not the car, but I thought I'd share a little gremlin in the wiring, and the fix. A few days ago I noticed the lower left running light was out. I replaced the bulb, but to no avail. Ah, a plug it must be, thinking that the wire to that light runs up the length of the bike. So I pulled the seat and tugged on a few plugs; no change. So I resort to the wiring diagram and see that the running lights all congregate together. This leads me to believe I have a faulty socket. But that is not the case, moved the sockets around and all work on the other plugs. So I see there is no continuity between the two bottom plugs, so I'm thinking wire. I start pulling back tape and there it is, not only is there a clean break in this wire, another wire is skinned. I find also all the wires are connected together using an expoxy and heat shrink. I don't understand it because the wiring has never been apart. The best I can guess this was there from the factory and this wire finally gave out. I splice it up and now all is well.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
j.wales
Posted 2016-05-08 5:17 AM (#183156 - in reply to #183154)
Subject: Re: Gremlins

Cruiser

Asheville, NC
Being a life long electrician, that's disgusting.
varyder
Posted 2016-05-09 11:16 AM (#183174 - in reply to #183154)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

I should have taken pictures, but at this point it doesn't really matter. While I spent a few days in thought, it only took me a few minutes to correct. The blue wire that had exposed wires made me wonder what had take place, and the tape all seemed original with no cuts. This made me assume this was from the factory. I check my lights often and just got it inspected in March, so I know this is a recent development. I haven't changed a rear light in over six months to a year.  Must have been a Monday or a Friday bike.

Edited by varyder 2016-05-09 11:20 AM
jimtom
Posted 2016-05-09 12:42 PM (#183180 - in reply to #183174)

Visionary

Sand Rock, AL United States
good job trouble shooting and repairing.
Davet
Posted 2016-05-10 1:53 AM (#183187 - in reply to #183154)

Puddle Jumper

Sacramento, CA United States
A little FYI...

The harnesses on VVs are made in China. The shrink tubing (used at general splice points) is RTV impregnated high grade marine shrink tubing. So when the tubing heats up the RTV squeezes out and seals the solder joint preventing moisture ingress into the connection.

As for the poor craftsmanship...
I drove my Y2k, 4 Runner, 'bout 180k miles before I realized the rear right speaker wasn't working. When I dismantled the door wiring I found it wasn't a fatigue wire break as I had suspected but a nicked (clean through) wire just inside the door. The cut was clean and I was surprised the bundle held together as long as it did. But, I also realized the cut had been there since the SUV had been built.

So, I hate to say it... these things happen. It's not justification but solace... anyone can make a mistake.

Good troubleshooting!

Edited by Davet 2016-05-10 1:55 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™