You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Gear problem , and bike is sluggish !!!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

azuogu1
Posted 2016-06-12 10:08 PM (#184648)
Subject: Gear problem , and bike is sluggish !!!

Puddle Jumper

I was stuck in traffic for about 20 mins today, and when the traffic freed up my bike would not accelarate as fast as it usually does, I vave a 2014 Vision. But i also noticed that once the motor hit 3000RPM it would rev really high and the gear indicator would show that the bike was in a lower gear than i had shifter it in to, but once it got below 3000RPM it would reve normally and show the correct gear on the inicator. What could be the problem here?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
BumbleDB
Posted 2016-06-12 11:43 PM (#184649 - in reply to #184648)
Subject: Re: Gear problem , and bike is sluggish !!!

Cruiser

Sounds like clutch slip. Vics aren't known for great clutch packs, but mines been good for 70K+

Maybe you ought to change the oil, the last owner may have put non-JASO oil in it.
lennyb
Posted 2016-06-13 7:27 PM (#184670 - in reply to #184649)

Iron Butt

Perry Hall, MD
Probably a good recommendation to look at the oil first.

Just to trouble shoot I would suggest that you don't get caught up in an oil debate right now (many can be found on this site). Rather, just change out to stock Vic semi-synthetic, if you're not already using it. Hope it fixes your problem.
azuogu1
Posted 2016-06-18 3:21 PM (#184745 - in reply to #184670)

Puddle Jumper

I Changed the oil and it is still having the same problem. My bike only has 5700 Miles on it, so it is very hard for me to understand whey the clutch would go out so soon, this was the first time I actually rode the bike in traffic, and this happens? does the victory warrantee cover clutch issues? has anyone else experienced this same issue so soon?
johnnyvision
Posted 2016-06-18 6:59 PM (#184747 - in reply to #184648)

Visionary

every time you hold the clutch in your shorten the life of the plates. In stop an go traffic and on hot days get it into neutral.
In neutral and lever out your not stressing the plates.
If you stay away from synthetic oil you'll have less problems.
lennyb
Posted 2016-06-18 8:52 PM (#184751 - in reply to #184648)

Iron Butt

Perry Hall, MD
Sorry - can not answer warranty question, but I can not imagine the clutch is actually bad at 5700 miles. Look for other possible issues first. The service manual on troubleshooting clutch slippage or drag suggest a few things to look at.

PROBLEM POSSIBLE CAUSE PART(s) AFFECTED REPAIR RECOMMENDED

Clutch Slips Clutch Spring Weak Clutch Spring Replace
Contaminated hydraulic system Master or Slave cylinder Inspect
Clutch Spring Snap ring Loose or Broken Clutch Spring Snap ring Repair or
Replace as
Necessary
Pressure Plate Worn or Warped /Distorted Pressure Plate Replace
Clutch Plate(s) Worn or Warped/Distorted Driven Plates Replace
(possibly drive plates)
Clutch Lifter Mechanism Sticking Clutch Lifter Mechanism Repair
Engine Oil Level Low Oil Level Correct
Oil Additives Present in Oil or Oil Quality Replace oil &
Used Previously filter
(clutch plates
may need to
be replaced)

Dragging Clutch Clutch Lever, master cylinder or Master or Slave cylinder Inspect
(doesn?t disengage slave cylinder sticking
completely, creeping, Air in hydraulic system Master or Slave cylinder Inspect / Bleed
hard to find Neutral) Oil Additives Present in Oil or Oil Quality Replace oil &
Used Previously filter (clutch
plates may
need to be
replaced)
Oil Level Too High Oil Level Correct
Pressure Plate Worn or Warped/ Pressure Plate Replace
Distorted
Clutch Plate(s) Warped / Distorted Driven Plates (possibly drive Replace
plates)
Weak Clutch Spring(s) Clutch Springs Replace All

Edited by lennyb 2016-06-18 9:02 PM
Arkainzeye
Posted 2016-06-18 9:55 PM (#184752 - in reply to #184648)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Clutch is NOT covered in warranty . Nor are brake pads and rotors and so on .... basically wear items are not cover no matter what the mileage ... they would move than likely blame it on you .

I still can't get over the fact they use the same clutch in the 106 900lbz vision that they did in the smaller engine 2003 Vegas which weights a lot less.
rdbudd
Posted 2016-06-19 10:36 AM (#184755 - in reply to #184747)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
johnnyvision - 2016-06-18 6:59 PM

If you stay away from synthetic oil you'll have less problems.

UMMM--NO. Don't blame synthetic oil categorically. Now if you put a synthetic, or even a non-synthetic oil in there that isn't the right one for the application, you might have some problems. They do make more than one type.

Just saying "don't use synthetic oil" is just pushing misinformation.

The OP's problem had nothing to do with his choice of oil anyway, now did it?

Ronnie
johnnyvision
Posted 2016-06-19 5:38 PM (#184765 - in reply to #184648)

Visionary

most guys using synthetic oil will have clutch failure.
But then you don't know how there clutch is set up or if there using the clutch properly
Arkainzeye
Posted 2016-06-19 7:03 PM (#184768 - in reply to #184648)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
I've been using amsoil in my victorys since June 2008 .... clutch still going .. I ride 2 up 98% of the time ...
Arkainzeye
Posted 2016-06-19 7:20 PM (#184769 - in reply to #184648)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
2003 victory vegas 617 lbs 92 ci clutch friction plates part number 2202434

2008-16 victory vision 869 lbs 106 clutch friction plates part number 2202434

At the time of the Vegas release it was the heaviest (or close to it ) bike they had while also being 2 generations smaller of a engine than what we have now .. but yet... our Visions are 252lbs heavier has 14 ci bigger engine and 25 more horsepower over the vegas. .. now since we have a touring bike we have a much greater chance of also carrying weight in bags or truck... on top of riding for greater distances and then if you pull a trailer ..? So same clutch plates used in a smaller engine , smaller bike , is used in our Visions. .... 1+1= ?
rdbudd
Posted 2016-06-20 10:31 AM (#184897 - in reply to #184765)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
johnnyvision - 2016-06-19 5:38 PM

most guys using synthetic oil will have clutch failure.

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

People who use the INCORRECT OIL for the application might have clutch problems. And some have. It has nothing to do with whether it is synthetic or not.

I've been using Amsoil in my Victorys for the past 16 years, and have Never had any clutch problems. I have broken three drive belts by powershifting under full throttle though. I have also had a broken clutch CABLE. Is that the fault of the synthetic oil in the crankcase too?

I'm also still going on the original transmission on my 2000 model Victory. This is the same bike that was giving erratic transmission behavior on the factory recommended Victory semi-synthetic oil. Once I switched it to Amsoil, the missed shifts and jumping out of gear went away for good. Amsoil is the reason that bike is still going strong 16 years later.

Anybody can use any oil they want to in their own bike. I don't care. It bothers me to see uninformed people spreading BS though. That does no service to the Victory community.

Ronnie

Edited by rdbudd 2016-06-20 10:33 AM
varyder
Posted 2016-06-20 10:48 AM (#184898 - in reply to #184648)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

When dealing with facts, I guess experience has to count. I know I used full synthetic for many, many miles, until I felt clutch slippage. It was around 98,000 miles coming onto the interstate hard as I normally did and I felt slippage. I thought it was my imagination but after a few tests I was convinced it's time for a new clutch. But to see if I went back to sem-dino oil it would change, I figured that was a cheaper alternative at the moment. So I put in the a 10w40 Semi-syn motorcycle oil. and with each oil change, two fairly close together, I could feel the clutch coming back. 98,000 later I'm still on the original clutch with no sign of letting up. So for me, no more full synthetic for my Bentley. I don't dispute any other claim for your bike, but this tells me there are other factors and forces in play. As cookie cutter as we think are machines are, each has a slightly different personality. Further, I stood firm on synthetic oil in not being a problem despite what technicians saw when changing out clutch packs. But I leave you with this, put anything you feel will work, it doesn't matter to me.

Edited by varyder 2016-06-20 10:49 AM
Travelin Man
Posted 2016-06-20 3:53 PM (#184900 - in reply to #184768)

Iron Butt

Arkainzeye - 2016-06-19 7:03 PM I've been using amsoil in my victorys since June 2008 .... clutch still going .. I ride 2 up 98% of the time ...

I'm right there with you and my clutch feels the same as the day I rode it out of Randy's Cycles when he was in Huntley, Illinois!

I also do not think this a a clutch wear or clutch spring issue simply due to the low miles on the bike, however, it might be a sticky clutch which remains disengaged even with the lever released.

johnnyvision
Posted 2016-06-20 5:34 PM (#184901 - in reply to #184648)

Visionary

rdbudd

your one person. Look on the net and you'll find thousands saying Amsoil was the cause
Arkainzeye
Posted 2016-06-20 9:18 PM (#184904 - in reply to #184901)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
johnnyvision - 2016-06-20 5:34 PM

rdbudd

your one person. Look on the net and you'll find thousands saying Amsoil was the cause

As many victory motorcycles you see on the road..
How many other brands do you see.. ? Honda , Suzuki , Yamaha ,kawasaki , BMW, Indian, harley, can-am etc etc
. What about their clutches? Why is there No wides spread complaints with using Amsoil ? When I used to be on the kawasaki
Forums tons of guys used amsoil year after year,... I used amsoil in .your 125ci 2053cc kawasaki
. Clutch never slipped .. 141 ftlbs torque

The formulation of.their 10w40 MC oil is the same formula every other brand of bike uses with no problems.. keep in mind something else synthetic oils used in harleys..... do harley share the same engine oil with their transmissions? My friends harley has different lubrication requirements for his transmission than his engine
. So on that note, his engine can have high amounts of friction modifiers with no fear of clutch worries..
BumbleDB
Posted 2016-06-20 9:23 PM (#184905 - in reply to #184648)

Cruiser

I ran full syn for 50k miles with no problem, but I rarely tach over 4k. As such, my clutch isn't stressed like some....
If I really want to meet law enforcement... well, I still have a sport bike for that.

My experience was that full syn made the trans smoother, but added slight noise to the engine. Especially on cold start ... for a few secs.
Now I'm running a mix of half full syn and half conventional. Engine does not tick/clatter on cold start up ( even on the rare occasion that it has sat for a day or two ), and the trans is fairly smooth. 75K miles, original clutch, oil pressure gauge reads to spec ( ~80psi @3k rpm ). Seems Pol knew what they were talking about when recommending the 'blend.'

I've never ran Amsoil in anything..... so no opinion there.

From what I've seen, if you're going to run hard and at the top of the rpm range, do NOT go full syn. If you're going to run it like a cruiser, you'll probably be fine.....
I once ran through Atlanta at rush hour in intense heat while running the full syn, A solid hour of stop and go with no problems.

I've seen enough threads on Vic clutch failure to know it's a real problem.... mostly on the 'porker' bikes. I don't think Pol thought about heavier plates as the bikes gained weight. Too many fail for it to all be rider error....
Arkainzeye
Posted 2016-06-21 10:35 AM (#184915 - in reply to #184648)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
http://www.cross-riders.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=11503
lennyb
Posted 2016-06-21 4:43 PM (#184923 - in reply to #184648)

Iron Butt

Perry Hall, MD
Hey azuogu1 any update? Good to see that you have avoided getting into the oil debate (can't mention the word without causing a ruckus).
rdbudd
Posted 2016-06-23 5:11 PM (#184943 - in reply to #184901)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
johnnyvision - 2016-06-20 5:34 PM

rdbudd

And when you quiz them on WHICH particular Amsoil product they used, invariably they used the one formulated specifically for Harleys.

They used THE WRONG PRODUCT FOR THEIR APPLICATION, and then blamed the oil.

In other words--operator error.

Look on the net and you'll also find thousands of happy Amsoil users. What's your point??

Ronnie
Arkainzeye
Posted 2016-06-23 7:05 PM (#184961 - in reply to #184648)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
You right .. look at the link I posted above and look at what weight was the one mentioned the most with clutch issues ..
varyder
Posted 2016-06-23 7:53 PM (#184962 - in reply to #184648)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
The full syn I used was the proper rating for the Vic motors.
rdbudd
Posted 2016-06-24 10:52 AM (#184970 - in reply to #184962)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
varyder - 2016-06-23 7:53 PM

The full syn I used was the proper rating for the Vic motors.

There are many more requirements than just having the JASO-MA rating. If you think you are covered just because the oil you used had a JASO-MA rating, you would be mistaken.

JASO-MA just means wet clutch. It does NOT mean ALL wet clutches. There are additional qualifiers.

I know several farmers who learned this same lesson the hard way when they put the wrong type of wet clutch oil in their equipment and had problems with PTO clutches. Equipment today varies in clutch material types and uses specialized oils.

Same with motorcycles. Victory and the Japanese brands use one type and Harley and some of the European brands use another type of material. They each use a specific package of additives. All include the JASO-MA rating, but putting an oil with additives meant for a Harley in a Victory or a Japanese brand can lead to problems. And, vice-versa.

Use the right synthetic for your application. If you don't--then you get problems.

A survey was done on this forum several years ago specific to Victory clutches and Amsoil use. The results back then showed that about 25% of the people who put the Harley specific Amsoil in their bikes had clutch problems, but virtually none had problems with the Amsoil products designed for the Japanese brands or Victory.

Just saying something on the order of "synthetic oil makes Victory clutches slip" is silly. that would be like saying "putting a car tire on a motorcycle will cause instant death". Ridiculous. The facts just don't bear it out.

Ronnie
Arkainzeye
Posted 2016-06-24 12:19 PM (#184972 - in reply to #184648)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
http://www.whitedogbikes.com/whitedogblog/choosing-the-right-motorb...
rdbudd
Posted 2016-06-25 10:28 AM (#184982 - in reply to #184972)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Yep.

The JASO-MA is only ONE of SEVERAL ratings required for an oil approved for use in our bikes. By itself, it doesn't mean all that much. There are other specialized additives in each type of synthetic (and non-synthetic) oils for each application to consider.

The Amsoil product made specifically for Harley usage specifically states in the application sheet that it has additional friction modifiers to cope with the high operating temperatures common to the Harley design. Look it up.

Victory specifically states in your owner's manual DO NOT USE additives that "reduce friction". Using the product meant for the Harleys in a Victory is operator error. It is NOT the oil's fault. It didn't pour itself in there. The uniformed operator did. Then, when the said operator experiences clutch problems, he blames the oil instead of himself.

Amsoil makes at least three products compatible with Victory and the Japanese brands. They are specifically enumerated in the applications sheet for the products. One of them is designed specifically for Victory and the new Indians in a 20W-40 weight. Use any of them and you will not have any clutch problems. Thousands of happy owners can testify to that.

There are other brands available too. Some of them have ALL the proper ratings and are compatible with Victory, and some of them aren't. Be informed before you pour.

Ronnie

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™