You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Timing Gear Question.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Banjo
Posted 2016-08-21 2:55 PM (#188414)
Subject: Timing Gear Question.

Tourer

Installed the timing Gear at +4 and my bike ran like crap... lowered to +2 and it runs great. Most riders here have it +4 and above, I wonder why the engine doesn't run well at the most common setting?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Arkainzeye
Posted 2016-08-21 5:28 PM (#188415 - in reply to #188414)
Subject: Re: Timing Gear Question.

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Mine is set at. +2. Because +4 I pinged when it got hot
johnnyvision
Posted 2016-08-21 6:05 PM (#188416 - in reply to #188414)

Visionary

have mine on +3 when it was hot out +4 I would ping.
I have 02's unhooked. bike runs great. What are you getting for mpg and are you doing math or believing the not so accurate gauge
Lotzafun
Posted 2016-08-22 10:08 AM (#188433 - in reply to #188414)

Iron Butt

Rockford, IL
I'm kinda wondering if altitude differences would explain some of the differences.
rdbudd
Posted 2016-08-22 11:18 AM (#188435 - in reply to #188433)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Lotzafun - 2016-08-22 10:08 AM

I'm kinda wondering if altitude differences would explain some of the differences.

Probably.

Also, the total combination of aftermarket parts installed will make a difference. Just talking about timing wheel settings, in isolation, without knowing the total parts combination is pointless.

For example, I have Lloydz reprogrammed ECU, which modified both the fuel curve and the timing on mine, as well as raising the limiters. Mine has 2 degrees advance already programmed in. This program was done long before Lloydz came out with his adjustable timing wheel. Also have cams and tuner and top filter. In hot weather, I need to run premium gas to prevent pinging now. I don't have the adjustable timing wheel, because I'm pretty sure it wouldn't do ME any good. Adding more advance to what I already have obviously would be too much, since I can induce pinging now with my current combination and regular gas. I already have advanced timing.

It's all about the combination.

Ronnie
cw1115
Posted 2016-08-22 4:23 PM (#188439 - in reply to #188414)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
Ronnie, I always use premium and have never had any ping. I'm started with the Llyodz top filter and pipes. Next came the timing gear and fuel controller installed by KevinX himself. He set it at +4?. After that I did the touring cams and adjustable air intake myself. No issues except hitting the rev limiter in nothing flat in 1st and 2nd so I had the ECM reflashed by Lloydz. I never readjusted the timing wheel. Runs great. Never had it dyno'd test. I was running way rich and messed with the fuel controller. Not dialed in yet after 2 years and 50K miles. Maybe this year at Daytona. I only get about 35-38 mpg actual. As you know the computer tells me low 40s.
johnnyvision
Posted 2016-08-22 5:21 PM (#188441 - in reply to #188414)

Visionary

when did you change spark plugs last. Auto store sells then ask for NGK p/n 3481 $5.00 dollars for the pair as opposed to dealer wanting $14.00 dollars.
Think about getting new spark plug wires. Vic's are not very good. Here is video on how to pull plug wire off. NEVER by the wire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhuC_C0Eu60&feature=youtu.be
rdbudd
Posted 2016-08-23 10:58 AM (#188564 - in reply to #188439)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
cw1115 - 2016-08-22 4:23 PM

Ronnie, I always use premium and have never had any ping. I'm started with the Llyodz top filter and pipes. Next came the timing gear and fuel controller installed by KevinX himself. He set it at +4?. After that I did the touring cams and adjustable air intake myself. No issues except hitting the rev limiter in nothing flat in 1st and 2nd so I had the ECM reflashed by Lloydz. I never readjusted the timing wheel. Runs great. Never had it dyno'd test. I was running way rich and messed with the fuel controller. Not dialed in yet after 2 years and 50K miles. Maybe this year at Daytona. I only get about 35-38 mpg actual. As you know the computer tells me low 40s.

Yeah, there have been a lot of questions about Lloydz reprogrammed ECU over the years. I have never seen any definitive answers. I tend to believe that the program was modified slightly to remove the timing advance after Lloydz came out with their adjustable timing wheel, because those of us with the early program don't seem to be able to utilize the adjustable timing wheel, and those who got the later reprogram can. Many early adopters have reported that the timing wheel won't work with the reprogram ( and many of them have put the wheels up for sale) , while those who got the later one report no problems, and the timing wheel works with the reprogram.

That leads me to believe that the current reprogram no longer includes the 2 degree timing advance that the early, exchanged ECUs did, thus allowing users to also use the timing wheel if they wish.

I was definitely told that mine had a 2 degree advance built in when I ordered it, and it definitely improved my low end response. Mine is one of those early ECUs that Lloyd was doing on an exchange basis. He stopped supplying those when it was discovered that there was an issue with the embedded VINs. My bike no longer shows the correct VIN on Digital Wrench. That doesn't matter to me. The bike runs great.

Again, my point is that it is the total combination that affects performance.

Ronnie

Edited by rdbudd 2016-08-23 11:03 AM
cw1115
Posted 2016-08-23 12:53 PM (#188566 - in reply to #188414)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
Yea, I had to send my ECM in and wait because they are VIN specific. My main reason was to up the rev limiter anyway. I didn't really care about the top speed limited either. Then one day I almost hit 140. Bike was still pulling but got super light up front and I backed off. I'll never do that again. Hopefully I get get a dyno tune in Daytona this year. Long line last time I went.
johnnyvision
Posted 2016-08-23 5:57 PM (#188567 - in reply to #188414)

Visionary

Banjo

what do you mean it ran like crap. you should of seen go power.
rdbudd
Posted 2016-08-23 6:41 PM (#188571 - in reply to #188566)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
cw1115 - 2016-08-23 12:53 PM

Yea, I had to send my ECM in and wait because they are VIN specific. My main reason was to up the rev limiter anyway. I didn't really care about the top speed limited either. Then one day I almost hit 140.

Yeah, they'll do that.

I ride with a group that includes Harleys and Goldwings. The Goldwings were the trash talkers--you know---"no American V-Twin can keep up with a 6 cylinder Goldwing".

They have learned better and keep quiet when I'm around, although they still trash talk the Harleys.

In our group, the Goldwings are considerably quicker and faster than the Harleys, but they can't keep up with my nice, quiet Vision. I have at least 15 MPH more top speed than the GWs. It ain't even close.

Ronnie

Edited by rdbudd 2016-08-23 6:46 PM
Arkainzeye
Posted 2017-02-07 10:00 AM (#191456 - in reply to #188414)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
I had mine set to +4 but then once it got hot out and I rode 2 up it pinged so I backed it down to +2
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™