You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Vision cracked kickstand
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

beemerdad2@yahoo.com
Posted 2016-09-19 6:11 PM (#188962)
Subject: Vision cracked kickstand

Cruiser

The more I think about it the more it bugs me. A week or two ago I posted that my kickstand, as well as the retaining pin that holds it to the frame, broke, allowing my bike to tip over. I also mentioned the "fact" that it seemed that the tang, or whatever it's called, had been cracked for some time. I'm referring to the part of the kickstand on the top of the frame. The fresh break was approximately a quarter-inch deep as evidenced by the fresh and shiny metal on the crack. However there was another, rusted portion approximately 3/8 of an inch also which seems to tell me that it had cracked long enough to rust over.

It's a big enough concern in my mind to make the suggestion to anyone buying a Vision...at least a 2010, to pull the kickstand off and take a look at it. It's a simple enough job and would take only 10 minutes to take off and put back on.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
trshooter
Posted 2016-09-20 8:04 AM (#188975 - in reply to #188962)
Subject: Re: Vision cracked kickstand

Puddle Jumper

Tumbler Ridge, BC Canada
I decided to do some modifications to my kickstand after it started to bend. I talked to my dealer about it and he put in a request to have it replaced under warranty. Polaris never replied - big surprise.

I wrote Polaris about it and they told me my 5-year warranty does not cover as the kickstand is only covered under the first year - Another big surprise!

So then I straightened it in a press and split some heavy wall 1? square tubing, fit it around the kickstand, clamped it tight and welded the tubing back together.

While I was at it I replaced the rubber pad on the bottom that wears out way too quickly with an old piece of a car tire and stainless rivets.

This is the replay I received back from Polaris after sharing my post with them.

Hello,
trshooter
Posted 2016-09-20 8:04 AM (#188976 - in reply to #188962)

Puddle Jumper

Tumbler Ridge, BC Canada
I decided to do some modifications to my kickstand after it started to bend. I talked to my dealer about it and he put in a request to have it replaced under warranty. Polaris never replied - big surprise.

I wrote Polaris about it and they told me my 5-year warranty does not cover as the kickstand is only covered under the first year - Another big surprise!

So then I straightened it in a press and split some heavy wall 1? square tubing, fit it around the kickstand, clamped it tight and welded the tubing back together.

While I was at it I replaced the rubber pad on the bottom that wears out way too quickly with an old piece of a car tire and stainless rivets.

This is the replay I received back from Polaris after sharing my post with them.

Hello,
beemerdad2@yahoo.com
Posted 2016-09-20 10:09 AM (#188980 - in reply to #188976)

Cruiser

My kickstand wasn't bent at all...it simply broke off where it pins to the frame. I have to laugh when I read about Polaris telling us we shouldn't allow passengers to sit or even climb onto the bike with the stand down....it'll make it bend. They can build bikes and frames that handle incredibly well for a bike heavy bike but they under-engineer a simple kickstand that won't or can't take the stress of a passenger climbing on it? Or a stand that breaks-bends-whines when you change the handlebar position when it's parked?

Silly silly silly...
beemerdad2@yahoo.com
Posted 2016-09-21 2:52 PM (#189007 - in reply to #188980)

Cruiser

So is it just me or what? I called CheapCycleParts for the 2nd time to check the status of my newly ordered kickstand. It was on back-order until the 20th, said they, so when I checked yesterday I was told it's now on back-order until the 29th! They also told me the price had shot up though, because I'd all ready paid, I still get it for the orginal price...($106 for kickstand and new spring at time of original order)...so I'm not upset because I'm getting hit for the higher price.

Does Victory or Polaris have that big of a problem with bent/broken kickstands that they're on back order? For such a simple part?

johnnyvision
Posted 2016-09-24 5:08 PM (#189040 - in reply to #188962)

Visionary

here are the ones that will fit your 2010.
http://parts.polarisind.com/OtherAssemblies.asp?partid=5134544-385

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l131...
beemerdad2@yahoo.com
Posted 2016-09-24 5:12 PM (#189041 - in reply to #189040)

Cruiser

That's a great list there JV...thanks for posting it. If I have to wait longer than the 29th I'll check to see if any of those other stands are available.
johnnyvision
Posted 2016-09-25 5:37 PM (#189055 - in reply to #188962)

Visionary

say if you need the kickstand down for passenger to get on. Take kick stand off go to weld and have him weld a steel rod the length of the kickstand
8-ball
Posted 2016-09-26 3:24 PM (#189067 - in reply to #188962)

Tourer

Green Bay, WI United States
Had my kickstand replaced under warranty a few weeks ago. Bike leaned over excessively and Tytler's here in Green Bay made sure it happened. The five year extended warranty is only good for the "drive train' according to what I understand.
beemerdad2@yahoo.com
Posted 2016-10-04 9:00 AM (#189174 - in reply to #189067)

Cruiser

And here we go....didn't get the new kickstand on the 29th as Polaris (or Victory) said, so I called Cheap Cycle Parts and was told Polaris (or Victory) had moved the delivery date to November 7. The fix on the old stand seems to be working and, because I've all ready paid for it BEFORE the big price increase, I'm going to see just how long it takes to get the new one.

I'm afraid Polaris isn't doing a good job here...
beemerdad2@yahoo.com
Posted 2016-10-06 5:59 PM (#189217 - in reply to #189174)

Cruiser

Surprise, surprise, surprise! I got my new kickstand in the mail today and 10 minutes (or so) later, it was mounted all nice and shiny. And apparently I'm a lot wimpier than I used to be because it was a bear getting that new spring attached, no matter how many nickles I managed to put in the thing.

I love getting old.
Nitemare
Posted 2016-11-15 4:24 PM (#189937 - in reply to #188962)

New user

Billings, MT United States
I had a similar problem, I broke the original cast kickstand. Victory replace the first one without hesitation. I put the second one on myself. Broke it 29 days later!!!!!!!!!!!!! They replace that one without question too. Two years later the third kickstand broke, I have had enough! My local Victory parts guy started to look through the Victory accessory book, we found a chrome kickstand in the 2008 accessory book; it is a stronger steel (not cheap painted asting), chrome and fits great! Best part is it was $80 not the $100+ for the stock one!!!!
beemerdad2@yahoo.com
Posted 2016-11-16 8:19 PM (#189946 - in reply to #189937)

Cruiser

I'll keep that in mind. I have the new one on but I'm too whimpy to put the new spring on so I have to stop at a Victory dealer somewhere on my way to TX.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™