You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

End of the line?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

BumbleDB
Posted 2018-06-29 2:30 PM (#192620)
Subject: End of the line?

Cruiser

I love the viz, got 132K on the clock and it runs great. Got a brand new Lloyds engine
and boxes full of extra parts so I could run it for another 5 years. But, alas, A tire
replacement might have turned it all into a garage sale.

Ok, enough drama.

Had been having a little trouble with the front end, nothing real bad but noticable.
Needed a new tire so I swapped out the tire, installed new rotors/pads and wheel seals,
all ready to go there. While I had it up, I quickly realized that my lower head bearing
had went bad. No big deal, bought the WD kit years ago. As usual, the 'service manual'
method to remove the lower bearing will not work ( press-fit too tight, bearing puller
just broke the race ), so I had to very carefully cut & crack the old inner race.
Cool... got that done. I have a 12 ton press, so I'm not too worrried about getting
the bearing on... but this is a vic... may need a 50 ton.

So now I go to do the outer race up in the frame. Service man says use 'access notches'
and a long punch which is pretty standard, done it many times. BUT WAIT.... there are
no notches. The outer race for the lower bearing is press fit into a hole that then
shrinks to a much smaller hole where the race seats. There is no way to that I can see
to get the race out... no way to grab it or get behind it. I most certainly cannot cut
it, not without really chewing up the bore. And for those of you who have worked with
vic press-fits, you know they are always..... difficult... very difficult and beyond
tight.

Rylan is on vacation and Kevin isn't answering, so if anybody here has a gem of info
for me, I'm really listening. I pretty much ride this thing everyday.. but looks like
not for a while.... maybe not again.

A google search turned up a thread on this forum about this and the guy raised hell
about how much of a bitch this was, but he made no mention about how he got the old
race out.. seems it was no problem. The thread was from 2012, so maybe the early
models did have the notches, but it would be strange that Pol would have changed that
frame piece.

I HAVE got to be missing something!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
johnnyvision
Posted 2018-07-02 12:13 PM (#192623 - in reply to #192620)
Subject: Re: End of the line?

Visionary

Say Gab is holding down the fort at the Vic shop. Maybe a email will get Gab to help you
If there is a lip on the race maybe auto store would have a tool to rent
I have read where guys have cut the race out but using what I don't know
Good Luck
johnnyvision
Posted 2018-07-02 12:24 PM (#192624 - in reply to #192620)

Visionary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVb9xjeVxD0
BumbleDB
Posted 2018-07-03 10:00 PM (#192625 - in reply to #192620)

Cruiser

Wow, I thought this thread had died a lonely death.

Well, turns out my summer riding is done. I went back and forth with KevinX, seems the only way I'm going to get this out is with a mig welder.
I have one, but I can't use it worth a damn.
The OTC tool looks cool, but no way I'll get a vic press fit to budge with it. Vic press fits must have heat. I have never successfully removed
press fit bearings/races on a vic with the 'proper' puller. There is always some secret process requiring massive heat.

Sooo..... the viz is getting torn down to basic pieces. I was going to do a complete teardown and engine replacement in Aug, so I'll just start a
month early. Got a new Lloydz engine ready to go, and boxes and boxes of parts to get this thing back up to snuff.
Hurts to pull my old engine, it runs so damn good with 132K on the clock. Never used a drop of oil, original clutch.

Also pissed that I'm starting the project with full fuel tanks and freshly changed oil. Would have liked to run a few more miles
on the orig engine. But, old engine was oem, new engine is somewhat more performance oriented.
johnnyvision
Posted 2018-07-06 11:15 AM (#192626 - in reply to #192620)

Visionary

Say Rylan is back from vacation maybe he can help. Where do you live maybe someone is close by that can help
RoteBarron
Posted 2018-07-06 9:12 PM (#192627 - in reply to #192620)

Puddle Jumper

Cheyenne, WY United States
Would like to here how you solve the race issue. If I have to get mine out I believe I'll have slots before a new one goes in. At any rate, please kee p us posted. LMYR
pollolittle
Posted 2018-07-09 9:07 AM (#192631 - in reply to #192627)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
I tack welded a large washer to the outer race, slid a 20 in piece of all thread pipe through the washer, put a nut on the top, and used it like a slide hammer, make it so you can attach to a slide puller and it would be out in less than a min.

I don't know if you were looking at one of my posts concerning that race but yeah, I pissed and moaned about it good, had the race cut off with some help from a guy that knew how to use the torch to get the inner bearing race off the tree.
BumbleDB
Posted 2018-07-10 7:28 PM (#192633 - in reply to #192620)

Cruiser

Bike is in pieces.
Going to take the frame piece somewhere to have someone do the mig trick. Going to
look for a painter tomorrow for the 29 body parts on this thing.

The viz will be down for a while, lots of cleanup/touchup/maint work to do. Putting
the new Llyods special in. Breaks my heart to retire the original, it's still a great
powertrain. Hope the new one is at least as good.

According to Kevinx, the way to do this is to run a bead on the race surface with a mig and the
heat will draw it in and it will drop out. I have a mig, but I can't seem to work it.
BumbleDB
Posted 2018-09-25 10:39 PM (#192696 - in reply to #192620)

Cruiser

Vision has been completely rebuilt. New hot powertrain, new custom paint, and whatever other parts it needed, or
just wanted. Drug out for over 2 months on the paint, but that gave me time to really clean it up. Had no problem
getting parts.. lots of vision specific parts.... straight from partspitstop.

Head bearing race was removed with a TIG, using the 'blind race' removal method. Works like a charm. Didn't hurt
that I took the loose frame piece to the welder. He charged me a whopping $20.

Whole scoot was removed piece by piece from the engine, then build back up around the new engine. Hellava job. One
of the more pain in the ass things I did was run my wiring through the handlebars. Fun, fun, fun.
Got about 400mi on it now, but all the rain down here is slowing me down.

BTW, an engine with VM1 cams, adjustable intake and top-filter will actually run & ride on the factory map. Way too lean,
so you don't want to do it, but it will idle like a HD and run well enough to go. Yes, I quickly loaded a more appropriate map.
Lloyd was supposed to load one for me, but didn't, so I'm running a Voss map. I'm liking the way it runs, very strong from
~2500 rpm. I haven't tached much past 3500 yet, so I can't report on the upper end.

Gotta make a trip from ~DFW to Iowa for the final tune... hopefully soon.
Anyone here along that route want to help me break the run up into 2 days? I hate leaving my scoot out with the wolves at
some unfamiliar hotel hell. Not after just dumping ~$9K into a worthless victory with 133Kmi on it. I'm sure my insurance
would give me a solid $2500 for it if it was stolen or totaled.

Damn glad to be back in the saddle... that was a long 2.5 months. But, down here, August is kind of our winter. So damn hot...
rdbudd
Posted 2018-09-26 10:27 AM (#192697 - in reply to #192696)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
BumbleDB - 2018-09-25 10:39 PM

Vision has been completely rebuilt. New hot powertrain, new custom paint, and whatever other parts it needed, or
just wanted. Drug out for over 2 months on the paint, but that gave me time to really clean it up. Had no problem
getting parts.. lots of vision specific parts.... straight from partspitstop.

Head bearing race was removed with a TIG, using the 'blind race' removal method. Works like a charm. Didn't hurt
that I took the loose frame piece to the welder. He charged me a whopping $20.

Whole scoot was removed piece by piece from the engine, then build back up around the new engine. Hellava job. One
of the more pain in the ass things I did was run my wiring through the handlebars. Fun, fun, fun.
Got about 400mi on it now, but all the rain down here is slowing me down.

BTW, an engine with VM1 cams, adjustable intake and top-filter will actually run & ride on the factory map. Way too lean,
so you don't want to do it, but it will idle like a HD and run well enough to go. Yes, I quickly loaded a more appropriate map.
Lloyd was supposed to load one for me, but didn't, so I'm running a Voss map. I'm liking the way it runs, very strong from
~2500 rpm. I haven't tached much past 3500 yet, so I can't report on the upper end.

Gotta make a trip from ~DFW to Iowa for the final tune... hopefully soon.
Anyone here along that route want to help me break the run up into 2 days? I hate leaving my scoot out with the wolves at
some unfamiliar hotel hell. Not after just dumping ~$9K into a worthless victory with 133Kmi on it. I'm sure my insurance
would give me a solid $2500 for it if it was stolen or totaled.

Damn glad to be back in the saddle... that was a long 2.5 months. But, down here, August is kind of our winter. So damn hot...

Rylan will get it tuned for you. With your combination, it will really start to come alive at 3500 all the way past 6000 RPM. You need more fuel at those RPMs. Rylan will take care of that. I recommend that you have your rev limiter increased to 6400 RPM in all gears. For maximum acceleration with your combination, shift gears at 6000 RPM.

The stock 5500 RPM rev limiter really sucks, since you'll hit it quickly, just as the fun is getting started. A 6000 RPM limiter is still too limiting, because it will force you to shift too early too.

Run her up there, and you'll see what I mean.

You can find a tech article, that I wrote several years ago on this subject, in the tech forums. It deals specifically with the proper shift points of the Vision vs GL1800 Goldwings, if you find yourself in a drag race with them. The Vision will win. Mine does.

Ronnie
BumbleDB
Posted 2018-09-26 2:53 PM (#192698 - in reply to #192620)

Cruiser

Gotta get some break-in miles on this thing, still has the factory oil in it.... and it's foookin' raining AGAIN!
Hope I can make the IA run before winter sets in. Trying to keep the revs at 3500 or less for the first
1Kmi. The new engine seems to be a good one, though. My old engine was top-notch and could go
right back in and hit 200K easy. Nice to have a spare. If the new one holds together, might rebuild the
old one for fun. BB?

The internet says it will take me 14 hours to get to TVS, but I'm not sure about that. I have made it
from here to La Crosse twice in 14 hours ( cage ). Seems to me I should be able to do it in 12 easy. But,
a guy I ride with made the run last year and he said ~14 hours. Longest day I've had in the saddle was
11 hours some years back. I hope my always aging body can handle it. Do NOT want to truck it.
BumbleDB
Posted 2018-09-26 3:02 PM (#192699 - in reply to #192620)

Cruiser

On a side note, I added the Motion-pro shift spring during the build. Had the spring sitting around since Jan.
Seems to be worth the money, makes for very solid shifts.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™