You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Legs on fire!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

biddysere
Posted 2018-09-29 9:45 PM (#192701)
Subject: Legs on fire!

Puddle Jumper

Took my new to me Vision out on a long ride today. Very impressed other than the engine heat was trying to make hot wings out of my legs. Is this the norm or is it just my bike? I closed the side spoilers and that did help some. Thanks for any advice!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
huts'putt
Posted 2018-09-30 9:26 AM (#192702 - in reply to #192701)
Subject: Re: Legs on fire!

Cruiser

Racine, WI United States
It's a common thing with Vision's. Lot of heat comes off the oil cooler, which sits in front of the engine. Everyone here suggests the lower wind defectors that Victory "use" to sell. Another alternative is Baker Wings, don't remember exactly what the web site is, but there are a few members here that use them, maybe they'll chime in on how good they are.
rdbudd
Posted 2018-09-30 9:44 AM (#192703 - in reply to #192701)
Subject: RE: Legs on fire!

Visionary

Jasper, MO
It's common problem with a 100% stock Vision. The lower wind deflectors that were once available as accesories pretty much eliminate the problem when moving, and should have been OEM installed on every Vision. They are difficult to find now.

The 100% stock Vision also has a fuel map in the ECU that runs lean for EPA requirements. This causes the engine and exhaust system to run hotter than necessary. A better fuel map enhances performance and reduces the heat somewhat. Back in the day, aftermarket piggy back fuel controllers, such as the Lloydz VFC or the Power Commander V were popular for this purpose. Lloydz also would reprogram your ECU, which eliminated the need for aftermarket controllers. That is what I did on my own Vision. Today, you can have your ECU reprogrammed by remote control by vendors who sell and tune the Maxximus system. It is the latest, and probably best, way to go in this day and age.

If you plan on making any changes to your bike, such as exhaust or cams, intake, etc, get those done and then have your ECU reprogrammed. Performance will be greatly increased, and your heat issue may be helped a little at the same time.

Ronnie
lennyb
Posted 2018-09-30 7:18 PM (#192706 - in reply to #192701)
Subject: RE: Legs on fire!

Iron Butt

Perry Hall, MD
If you find a set of stock (clear plastic) or metal duplicate lower wind deflectors for sale make sure that they include the OEM hinges. Installation without them is essentially impossible.
biddysere
Posted 2018-09-30 7:27 PM (#192707 - in reply to #192701)

Puddle Jumper

Thanks everyone! I do have the stock lower deflectors. Turning them to the closed position does help nut it is still pretty dang hot
rdbudd
Posted 2018-10-01 11:09 AM (#192709 - in reply to #192707)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
biddysere - 2018-09-30 7:27 PM

Thanks everyone! I do have the stock lower deflectors. Turning them to the closed position does help nut it is still pretty dang hot

If they were installed correctly, turning them all the way out blocks air and rain. Turning them all the way in to the closed position renders them essentially null, as if they aren't there. Turning them a few degrees open should scoop in lots of cooling air when moving. That's how mine work.

Ronnie
huts'putt
Posted 2018-10-02 1:34 PM (#192710 - in reply to #192709)

Cruiser

Racine, WI United States
BIDDYSERE, are you talking about the lower wind deflectors that are just above the floor boards or the small triangular wings under the fairing? If you have the lower ones, open them up, i.e., so the wings are horizontal to the lower fairing, not vertical.
johnnyvision
Posted 2018-10-03 1:50 PM (#192711 - in reply to #192701)

Visionary

where that aluminum pannel folds in towards motor guys are putting in dash vents from cars. Open heat gets out close and heat stays in

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-SJ-Sierra-Samurai-Dash-Vents-Round-8...
lennyb
Posted 2018-10-03 6:10 PM (#192712 - in reply to #192701)

Iron Butt

Perry Hall, MD
Also consider getting a set of footpegs which also help by allowing you to move your legs away from the heat source. Not sure if they are still available, but mine came from Gonzo Garage on FB. Try https://www.facebook.com/theGONZOgar...11889982297790
scottie409
Posted 2018-11-19 7:37 PM (#192735 - in reply to #192701)

Puddle Jumper

Also had heat issues in hot temps and slow speeds, I cut pieces of old bubble wrap from windshield sunshield to slip into my boots and cover my upper calves works great and is light in weight. Other than blocking the heat this way I dont think there are any other solutions. You sure cant wear shorts on these puppies not that I would.
johnnyvision
Posted 2018-11-20 1:24 PM (#192736 - in reply to #192701)

Visionary

Bottom line go get a fuel tuner and then have your bike dyno tuned. That will eliminate a great amount of heat. The rest of the stuff is just a bandage trying to fix the problem
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2018-11-21 7:06 AM (#192738 - in reply to #192736)

Fountain Inn, SC United States
johnnyvision - 2018-11-20 2:24 PM

Bottom line go get a fuel tuner and then have your bike dyno tuned. That will eliminate a great amount of heat. The rest of the stuff is just a bandage trying to fix the problem

Agree, fuel tuner would be best for heat AND performance!
biddysere
Posted 2018-12-18 6:04 AM (#192763 - in reply to #192701)

Puddle Jumper

Thanks everyone. I did not know the lowers were adjustable when I got the bike so, problem is pretty much solved now!
lennyb
Posted 2018-12-18 7:17 PM (#192765 - in reply to #192763)

Iron Butt

Perry Hall, MD
good news
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™