You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

S1 L2 Baffles
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

bigwill5150
Posted 2009-05-26 8:24 PM (#35426)
Subject: S1 L2 Baffles

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
I was searching the threads for a comparison of Big Honkers Vs. my current S1 L2 when I realized I am hosed because I bought my bike off the floor with S1 L2 installed; therefore, I do not have the chrome heat shields needed for the Honkers. Anyway, I would like to try and tinker with my L2 pipes before giving up $1K to go with a complete exhaust system. Anyone try to remove their S2 L2 baffles? Can it be done without welding them back?
Any info is appreciated,
-Will
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Member No. 1
Posted 2009-05-27 6:30 AM (#35466 - in reply to #35426)
Subject: RE: S1 L2 Baffles

Cruiser

Under the Rule of Jedi - Masshole
I may be mistaken, but I thought on the L2's there is a bolt holding in the baffle. Have a look on the bottom/back side. It's a button head screw if it's there.
autiger2
Posted 2009-05-27 6:40 AM (#35468 - in reply to #35426)
Subject: Re: S1 L2 Baffles

Cruiser

Opelika, AL
There are two safety Torx screws on the inboard side. Removing the baffles is fairly easy. Getting them back in and lined up correctly is a whore... LOL

Ran mine with them out just to see what they would do.

If you want LOUD, it will be louder than anything in town. Problem is, the resonance will get you in your gut and make you ill. I put mine back in. Had to get a broomstick to slide them back in on to line them up. It took WAY longer to get them back in than to remove them.

Yes, they can be removed, not recommended unless you have patience to get them back in..
Kornbread
Posted 2009-05-27 7:41 AM (#35472 - in reply to #35426)

Cruiser

Okeefenokee Swamp
Autiger2, did you have to remap the fuel system? If you did not,was there a lot of popping or change in the throttle response? I am looking to remove the baffles and saw them in half and reinstall.Has anyone heard of doing this?The bottom line is i would like to get a little more sound without spending a lot of money and without making the bike too loud.Just a little louder.
bigwill5150
Posted 2009-05-27 11:46 AM (#35480 - in reply to #35426)

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
Hey,
Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. It sounds like I'll be in for some aggrevation since I do wanna remove and reinstall them until I'm done tinkering. Heck, I may as well take another soundbyte for youtube. I second Kornbread's question. Did it affect the bike adversely? I plan on running a fuel tuner here soon anyway but it may be sooner than later if I have to use it to keep it from detonating from the heads. Anyone think I'll be hurting the engine if I port the baffles a little?
Rebel
Posted 2009-05-28 6:01 PM (#35549 - in reply to #35426)

Iron Butt

Linwood, MI
I did this a while back and we discussed it Here. There's some removal and installation tips and also reviews of the sound afterwards from a couple of us that tried it. The first time I did it took a little bit, but after I knew what to do it wasn't hard at all. If you decide to do it, make note that some systems have TR TORX bolts (like dwhite's) and some have TR ALLEN bolts (like mine).

If you already have the S1 mapping you don't need to do anything for the fuel system. I experienced no more popping than I had with the baffles in (this was pre-recall remapping, though). My fuel economy dropped very slightly, but this could have been related to the colder air temps here in late fall Michigan. I felt like it had more power, but this was strictly a subjective opinion; I did no testing to know for sure.

If you read through the thread you'll see that most all of us put our baffles back in because it was too loud and actually uncomfortable riding. I actually got used to mine after a while and it quit being uncomfortable. However, my wife didn't like it so the baffles went back in this spring. One of the posters, stretch, had some luck with blocking some of the baffles and was happy with the sound. I'll try it out myself when the wife goes back to school and I can get some testing time in without her wanting to go for a ride .
autiger2
Posted 2009-05-28 8:48 PM (#35559 - in reply to #35472)

Cruiser

Opelika, AL
Kornbread - 2009-05-27 6:41 AM

Autiger2, did you have to remap the fuel system? If you did not,was there a lot of popping or change in the throttle response? I am looking to remove the baffles and saw them in half and reinstall.Has anyone heard of doing this?The bottom line is i would like to get a little more sound without spending a lot of money and without making the bike too loud.Just a little louder.

I just took them out to see what they sounded like, I did not leave them out, so no remap. You might want to consult Kevinx or Lloyd on the technical questions about how changing the baffles will affect your bike and it's performance.

kevinx has said that a loud bike usually isn't fast, and a fast bike usually isn't loud.

I have not heard of anyone sawing the baffles off. Once again, another good question for the experts.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2009-05-29 5:47 AM (#35569 - in reply to #35426)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
i would think if you removed them and you were using the same map that was meant for the baffles being in that you would loose Torque,back pressure? I could be wrong but that was my first though..
bigwill5150
Posted 2009-05-29 8:54 AM (#35572 - in reply to #35426)

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
Good point. I think it's about time I pulled the trigger on my fuel tuner before I decide to start playing with my airflow. I might as well do it now, there's no point in waiting.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™