You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Mounting bracket for the Garman Zumo
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Jedi Jeff
Posted 2007-12-30 7:18 PM (#3616)
Subject: Mounting bracket for the Garman Zumo

Fountain Inn, SC United States
Mike Schultz (arizona vic) is having mounts made for the ZUMO that will bolt in just like the factory has it set up. Anyone wanting to order one call him at 520-770-9500 mountain time. They are Billet Aluminum and the second run should be done the second week of Jan. Mention you heard about it on Vision Riders.

Thanks Mike!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Travelin Man
Posted 2007-12-31 7:01 PM (#3657 - in reply to #3616)
Subject: Re: Mounting bracket for the Garman Zumo

Iron Butt

Ok, that answers one question I was asking myself, but the other question is how will the Zumo wire up to the Audio system so you can hear the voice prompts or mp3 playing? Has anyone checked into what wire does what in the Victory harness for the other Garmin GPS?
Byrdman
Posted 2008-01-09 11:45 AM (#3951 - in reply to #3657)

Cruiser

Richmond, Texas
My Zumo bike mount was mounted on the plate near the key. They ran the wires for power and re-routed the audio plug from the bike to the side of the mount. The Zumo works great and have had no problems.
Newfie
Posted 2008-01-09 10:48 PM (#3987 - in reply to #3951)

Cruiser

Edmonton, AB
Hey Byrdman...I am debating between the Zumo 550 and the Garmin 2820. The 2820 should be a seamless install with the Victory mount, wiring etc. but there are some features on the Zumo that I like better than the 2820. Would you mind posting some pictures of how the Zumo mounted on your bike. I would like to see how the Zumo mounted from a couple of different angles. Also, how did the Zumo integrate into the audio on the bike? Is there a way to run the Zumo audio through the Vision's normal GPS connection and still hook-up my IPod?

Thanks for any help/info you can provide.
DesertJim
Posted 2008-01-09 11:48 PM (#3990 - in reply to #3616)

Tourer

Scottsdale AZ
Went thru the same thought process Newfie, I'm leaning toward the Zumo 550. Reasons are, J&M is working on a audio harness for the Vision specifically using the Zumo that will all be blue tooth configured. The Zumo has the XM radio built in that will also integrate via blue tooth. I am trying to go wireless for the future.

I would like to see the Zumo mounted pics also.

Edited by DesertJim 2008-01-09 11:48 PM
Newfie
Posted 2008-01-10 9:15 PM (#4024 - in reply to #3990)

Cruiser

Edmonton, AB
In my "research" up to this point, some of the +'s for the Zumo over the 2820 seem to be:
1. Zumo has a slot for an SD card, 2820 doesn't.
2. Zumo has the buttons on the left so easier to reach with your clutch hand. 2820 buttons are on the right.
3. Zumo has an internal battery that will allow it to run for a couple of hours, even when the bike is off. 2820 needs to be connected to bike and power on to run.
sandman
Posted 2008-01-11 5:51 PM (#4060 - in reply to #4024)

Cruiser

rhode island
my 2 cents, im using a temperary mount from 330c garmin street pilot brand new 180 dallars connected to a duel powerlet power source mounted just below driver seat on aluminium panel i know it may not have all the features but a very good copilot to get you home also if somthing happens to it, oh well
luzzy
Posted 2008-01-29 7:47 AM (#4704 - in reply to #3616)
Subject: RE: Mounting bracket for the Garman Zumo

Cruiser

Coastal , NJ
Anyone one hear if this mount is ready? I put my name on the list at Arizona Victory and never heard any more.
DesertJim
Posted 2008-01-29 9:45 AM (#4705 - in reply to #4704)

Tourer

Scottsdale AZ
luzzy - 2008-01-29 5:47 AM

Anyone one hear if this mount is ready? I put my name on the list at Arizona Victory and never heard any more.

The first batch is in-I don't know how many were in the first run, I will pick mine up and ask some questions -
visionman
Posted 2008-02-08 1:47 PM (#5075 - in reply to #3616)

Puddle Jumper

Anybody have some pics of how they mounted the garman zumo. Just ordered mine haven't got it in yet. Wondering how it mounted.
Newfie
Posted 2008-02-17 1:11 AM (#5373 - in reply to #3616)

Cruiser

Edmonton, AB
Just checking in to see if anyone has received one of these mounts. Pictures anyone?
Does anyone know if there is a wiring adapter that will allow the audio output on the Zumo to connect to the Vision where you would normally connect the Garmin?

Edited by Newfie 2008-02-17 1:12 AM
DesertJim
Posted 2008-02-17 10:37 PM (#5414 - in reply to #3616)

Tourer

Scottsdale AZ
I have the mount for the Zumo installed and will post some pics this week. The Zumo is wired to the V including the audio that goes through the Victory headset kit for all of the Zumo and the V audio, AM, FM, XM, and MP3 of the Zumo. All is received either thru the speakers of the headset, or both.
jama
Posted 2008-02-17 11:38 PM (#5418 - in reply to #3616)

Cruiser

Arkansas
That sort of beats around the bush DesertJim: does it just plug in or are you saying that the wire has to be cut and spliced to different pin-outs?
luzzy
Posted 2008-02-18 4:53 PM (#5443 - in reply to #4705)

Cruiser

Coastal , NJ
DesertJim - 2008-01-29 9:45 AM

luzzy - 2008-01-29 5:47 AM

The first batch is in-I don't know how many were in the first run, I will pick mine up and ask some questions -

I called today and the second batch was expected Today or Tomorrow for those waiting. I'm really hoping it comes in and they ship it out right away.....
DesertJim
Posted 2008-02-20 10:02 AM (#5523 - in reply to #3616)

Tourer

Scottsdale AZ
Posted a pic in the gallery on page two so you can see what it is - it is mounted like a rock - it will take someone some real effort to wrestle this off -

Luzzy - I talked to Mike yesterday and yes they should have some in this week - hope you are on the list as Mike said they are flying out of the store as quick as they get them in - Let me know if you need any help -

Edited by DesertJim 2008-02-20 10:04 AM
Newfie
Posted 2008-02-27 12:23 AM (#5914 - in reply to #5523)

Cruiser

Edmonton, AB
Question for DesertJim:

One of the VMC members (Cedland) posted some really good info about the differences between the Garmin 2820 and the Zumo550 in a thread in the VISION section of the VMC Forums titled "Hooking up the GPS".

(Cedland) "Audio on the Zumo 550 is different from the 2720 in that it is a stereo instead of mono signal and it produces a higher level of output. According to the Victory engineer both of these differences create issues they are still working on engineering around. On the right side of the Zumo 550 motorcycle bracket that comes with the unit there is a 3.5mm stereo audio output jack and a 2.5mm microphone jack to support Bluetooth integration with cell phones. Victory says if you connect the audio output from the Zumo 550 to their GPS audio input in the wiring harness the first issue you will have is the signal is higher and such that it overrides all other signals all the time instead of just cutting in for direction announcements and secondly the output from the Zumo 550 is stereo and their input only supports mono. You can connect the Aux port connector from the Vision into the Zumo 550 audio output jack but then you can't use the iPod. The Zumo 550 does have an integrated MP3 player but you will not have the convenience of the handlebar controls like you do with the iPod. There is also the issue of how you get the microphone signal from the helmet through the Vision intercom-CB to the Zumo that will use Bluetooth to get it to your cell phone. "

I was really hoping to go with the Zumo 550 but the prospect of having to sacrifice the integration into the sound system or lose the Ipod integration makes it much less attractive.

DesertJim...Were you able to overcome any of these problems? Thanks for any info you can provide....and thank you for posting the pictures of the GPS mount.
PalmBeachRider
Posted 2008-02-27 10:52 AM (#5922 - in reply to #3616)

Cruiser

Florida
So far, I've been happy with the Garmin 2820 and the way it integrates with the Vision's audio system. While a Zumo retrofit may be desirable, I wouldn't advise doing it until Victory has come up with the proper adapters. From what I read in the above posts, there are too many trade-offs in using the Zumo on a Vision at this time as it could be a wiring headache.

The good news here is that unlike the Goldwing which incorporates a built-in GPS that will be difficult, impossible or very expensive to upgrade as technology improves, having an outboard unit will allow Vision owners to upgrade later. The only downside of an outboard unit is the possibly of theft. However, it only takes about a minute to remove and safely store in one of the locked compartments.

Has anyone had one of the Garmin units stolen or tampered with while the Vision in parked?
DesertJim
Posted 2008-02-27 12:23 PM (#5928 - in reply to #3616)

Tourer

Scottsdale AZ
Todd - I've found some differences in some of Cedlands report as it relates to conversation with the Vic engineer. First, the signal from the Zumo stereo output at 3.5 appears to me to work fine. I am receiving audio 90% of the time via the stock Vic headset, passenger also, the other 10% via speakers which is a little harder to determine perfection. I do not have any overrride except for GPS directions. The issue of the IPod not available is probably true, but, I loaded all of my IPod music onto a SD card that goes into the Zumo port, thus no need for a IPod and another cord and connection. No I do not have handlebar control for changing tunes, but the mute does work. For me this is not a big issue since I normally use the shuffle function to start with. My cell phone paired nicely with the Zumo and I can receive calls, initiate calls and see who is calling thru the Zumo screen. I can answer the calls and hear the caller loud and clear. However, the Vic setup will not recognize the microphone signal to talk to callers. I think it is possible to go from the microphone port on the Zumo with a separate cord direct to your helment for this function but I have not pursued it yet. J&M knows of this issue and is working on a nodule for the Vic harness to make this work as are the Vic engineers. I think J&M within this year will have a audio harness replacement for all issues and right now they are working with the Zumo 550, end product will be totally wireless as I understand it. Again I know Vic is also aware of all these things and is working on the fix, so I'm confident one of these bright people will come up with what we need and want. I guess my chips are with J&M since they are working Zumo specific.

All in all, I am very happy with the Zumo configuration. I was initially going with the 2720 or 2820 from Vic with IPod hookup and there XM radio. Switched to the Zumo choice , big reasons were that I then didn't need the IPod cord hookup with the SD card option for music in the Zumo and second I didn't need the Vic XM radio because that function is built into the Zumo. As far as acceptable audio, I never thought from day one the speakers on the V were up to par, one of my next upgrades, so my expectations right now are minimal until I get new speakers and the new audio harness is available. Some work in process and learning curve for a new model, but any small problems are offset for me by the overall joy of the Vision. Hope this helps, let me know. Ride safe, just going for a ride now, 80 degrees here in AZ.
jama
Posted 2008-02-27 12:53 PM (#5934 - in reply to #3616)

Cruiser

Arkansas
For those waiting for Zumo integration:
I was recently told by J&M that I shouldn't
expect a Bluetooth unit for about a year!
I'm just going to plod along with my 2720
until all this gets sorted out. By the time it all
gets worked out, there will be a new Gps we will all
want to use and there we'll go again!
Mudge
Posted 2008-02-27 1:47 PM (#5942 - in reply to #3616)

Tourer

20 miles west of Chicago.
Can somebody with the electrical knowlwdge help resolve my confusion. I want to mount my Zumo on the handlebars; I'll work something out, no problem. I don't need the audio; I've been using the Zumo on my Kingpin for over a year without audio, no problem. What I'd like to know is, where can I hook into the 12V power using the standard Zumo 2-wire motorcycle fused power cord? I know I could wire a BMW type power plug on the end and plug it into the socket in the glove box but I'd prefer to leave that open. Can someone tell me where I can hardwire a splice into a 12V hot and a ground?. I have the foglights, so that's out, and it's switch controlled also. I'm looking for something that is hot when the ignition is on and goes off when the ignition is off. I'm thinking possibly of using the lead for the Victory GPS, but only the power and ground wires. Can someone tell me where to find it and what color the power wires are, or maybe a better circuit to tap into.

Edited by Mudge 2008-02-27 1:48 PM
Travelin Man
Posted 2008-02-27 4:33 PM (#5947 - in reply to #3616)

Iron Butt

Reading through all these posts leads me to one question, has anyone here tried mounting a RAM ball mount (they are now available in chrome) in the location where the stock Vision GPS mount goes? RAM introduced a locking replacement knob for their mounting system so that system is now just as secure (and still adjustable) against theft as using the above posted fixed non-adjustable mount that was the basis for this thread.
Miles
Posted 2008-03-02 5:27 PM (#6139 - in reply to #3616)

Tourer

Mount Vernon, WA United States
Does anyone have pictures? of any of the above.. (well no need for the stock GPS mount) But I'd like to see the Zumo mount.
DesertJim
Posted 2008-03-03 7:58 PM (#6228 - in reply to #3616)

Tourer

Scottsdale AZ
Miles - I have a pic of the Zumo mount posted on page 2 in the Gallery -
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2008-03-03 10:37 PM (#6244 - in reply to #6228)

Fountain Inn, SC United States
Here's the photo:

Mudge
Posted 2008-03-19 5:52 PM (#7074 - in reply to #3616)

Tourer

20 miles west of Chicago.
Finally worked out a handlebar mount for the Zumo. I don't care for the dashboard mount; I don't use the audio and I don't want to have to look down. Used a Ram B231 ball mount and obtained a longer U-bolt and a couple of chromed ny-lok nuts locally. Had to spread the U-bolt arms a slight bit and trim them down with a hacksaw and clean up the ends and threads with needle files, but it works fine. Decided to power it from the Powerlet socket in the glove box so I wired a Powerlet plug to a Zumo motorcycle power cord. Found the the Powerlet socket was dead, plug pulled off, wires too short to reach, and one of the spade prongs broken off from the bottom of the plug. Have to get it warranty replaced.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™